The Story of Huey Lewis Is Not a Tragedy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: The Story of Huey Lewis Is Not a Tragedy

Quote:
“I just think Huey brings to mind a better time.” -Jimmy Kimmel

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/a30783979/huey-lewis-weather-hearing-menieres-disease-interview/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Quote:
He shakes it off. “You wanna go on a sortie?”

Huey sizes me up and grabs some cold-weather gear out of his mudroom, and suddenly I’m bouncing around a Montana ranch in an ATV wearing Huey Lewis’s snow pants.

As we bob around the duck blinds, over the irrigation ditches, he points out a bald eagle in a tree, a herd of whitetail deer bounding past. He’s content here. This is entertainment for Huey now that he can’t hear television or music.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject:

Damn that’s rough. Always liked Huey and the news. Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste. But when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject:

One cannot think of the BTTF franchise without thinking of Huey Lewis and the News.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
One cannot think of the BTTF franchise without thinking of Huey Lewis and the News.

or the Showtime Lakers era.

"I Love L.A."
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject:

It's hard to think of the 80's without thinking of their sound. Should be in the Rock N Roll HOF.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
GTL wrote:

"I Love L.A."

Last night the wife and I were going through random YouTube videos of people recording home videos around the cities of Los Angeles back in the early to mid 80's, and here we are the next morning and I'm watching the music video for I Love LA from '83, and the fact that it was nearly 40 years ago is mind boggling. For my 13 year old nephew, the 80's are to him what the 50's were to me when I was his age.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
GTL wrote:

"I Love L.A."

Last night the wife and I were going through random YouTube videos of people recording home videos around the cities of Los Angeles back in the early to mid 80's, and here we are the next morning and I'm watching the music video for I Love LA from '83, and the fact that it was nearly 40 years ago is mind boggling. For my 13 year old nephew, the 80's are to him what the 50's were to me when I was his age.

Aging is so strange.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Damn that’s rough. Always liked Huey and the news. Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste. But when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

Agreed.

And why is there plastic sheeting spread all over my living room floor?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
GTL wrote:

"I Love L.A."

Huey was a fan then.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Agreed.

And why is there plastic sheeting spread all over my living room floor?

Yes it is! In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Personally, I preferred CMB.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Do you like Phil Collins?

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Sussudio
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:45 pm    Post subject:

I want a new drug

Heart and Soul

My two favorite Huey Lewis and the News songs.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:11 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism.

Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

LOL
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Getting old sucks.

My dad has a literal shoebox of meds he goes through everyday.

Not looking forward to it.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
Getting old sucks.

It's better than the alternative.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
C M B wrote:

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism.

Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

DON'T JUST STARE AT IT, EAT IT!

I remember not being a fan of both Sussudio and Hip To Be Square when they were new. I like Sussudio more now, but Hip has never been a fave. Power of Love and I Wanna New Drug are my faves of his big era. Happy To Be Stuck With You was a good'n with a hot chic in the video. Generally enjoyed Phil's stuff even as a youngster save for Can't Hurry Love cover and Another Day In Paradise. Easy Lover, In Too Deep, Against All Odds (sh movie even with prime Bridges and James Woods), I Don't Care Anymore, Land Of Confusion with those ugly muppets that were popular back then, In The Air Tonight is forever a classic. Favorite artsy era Genesis song was Abacab.

Look at this chemistry between the Phils!

C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject:

I like music, just...they're...Huey's too black sounding for me.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
I like music, just...they're...Huey's too black sounding for me.

Just saw Ford v Ferrari. Reunion with Bateman and McDermott. Long time coming. One of my fave Craig lines was his nearly-disinterested Ed query with Ed on a 1st name basis.

Pat: "Do you know what Ed Gein said about women?"
Van Patten: "Ed Gein, maitre 'd, Canal Bar?"
Pat: "No, serial killer in Wisconsin in the 50s..."
Craig: "Wha'did Ed say?..."
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject:

Where does Peter Gabriel fit in this convo? Former Genesis member. Pulled a Phil and got big solo, too. Loved his voice, distinctive, lot of range, had a smashed trumpet quality in the back of his throat.

You had Sledgehammer (which could've been an AP song, but it would've been TOO obvious if used in the Paul Allen whacking scene). In Your Eyes, everyone likes that song. Reminds everyone of Cusak. Digging In The Dirt is a quality darker song in the vain of In The Air Tonight.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
C M B wrote:

Can you do his phone confession to his would-be lawyer? I'd like to see you get around that one. Maybe a bleep here or there.

Lawyer (Carnes) to stan: "Face it, the Japanese will own most of America by the 90s."
Bateman: "Ha ha ha, shut up, Carnes...they will NOT."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: