Official MMA thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 488, 489, 490

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 11871
Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Couldn’t catch the card (was gigging) but looks like I didn’t miss too much.

I like Dom Reyes. That he was able to make a fight as close as everyone is saying this one was while still being so young in the game says a lot. Looking forward to watching his development.

Count me in with my man, JB re: meaningless takedowns. Bones even mention how huge they are in fights. So that was his safe out. Kind of like the lesser version of the FT line dunk automatically beats any other dunk even if you’ve already done it earlier in the competition. And why are takedowns the end all? Just because GSP? Not feeling that at all.

John’s command and unearthly talent may just be descending now too. We’ll know more soon enough.
_________________
We back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 26254

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:36 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Couldn’t catch the card (was gigging) but looks like I didn’t miss too much.

I like Dom Reyes. That he was able to make a fight as close as everyone is saying this one was while still being so young in the game says a lot. Looking forward to watching his development.

Count me in with my man, JB re: meaningless takedowns. Bones even mention how huge they are in fights. So that was his safe out. Kind of like the lesser version of the FT line dunk automatically beats any other dunk even if you’ve already done it earlier in the competition. And why are takedowns the end all? Just because GSP? Not feeling that at all.

John’s command and unearthly talent may just be descending now too. We’ll know more soon enough.


Have you guys asked yourself the same questions I have? Just about the first moment he stepped into the octagon, Jon's physical advantage has always been his freakish length/height in the division. I'm not discounting his skill set at all as you all know what I think of the guy in terms of being the GOAT. At the end of the day though, that length/height was ALWAYS the x-factor that would erase everything else. He's now starting to face guys that are his size in both stature and reach. Dom is exactly that and THAT mofo is legit D1 and former NFL caliber prospect to boot. Despite being on the short hand in the experience department by a country mile, it took a horrible decision by almost ALL accounts for Jon to win. It begs the question...

In any event, MMA is such a stupid young sport. I thought we were already in the era where the best are in it but the more I think about it, we're not. AT ALL. I have a feeling (and I'd put money on it) that that in 20 years, we're going to laugh at some of this stuff. Simply put, MMA hasn't reached it's MJ/Kobe (yeah you damn right I put Kobe in there) moment where the precipice has been reached. Not even close.
_________________
KOBE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 11871
Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Feel that, JB. There are yet levels greater to reach. MMA has some of the world's best athletes but not yet those from the US. The same thing has happened in reverse in boxing. But the dollars are getting insane in MMA so, it won't be long.
_________________
We back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
22
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Apr 2013
Posts: 16851

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Feel that, JB. There are yet levels greater to reach. MMA has some of the world's best athletes but not yet those from the US. The same thing has happened in reverse in boxing. But the dollars are getting insane in MMA so, it won't be long.


That’s what it’s going to take to attract the best athletes $$$$$

Then we’ll start seeing how good martial artists can be. Just look how Greg hardy has been as an ultra newcomer. Now imagine someone with that athleticism raised in MMA from infancy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 11871
Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Feel that, JB. There are yet levels greater to reach. MMA has some of the world's best athletes but not yet those from the US. The same thing has happened in reverse in boxing. But the dollars are getting insane in MMA so, it won't be long.


That’s what it’s going to take to attract the best athletes $$$$$

Then we’ll start seeing how good martial artists can be. Just look how Greg hardy has been as an ultra newcomer. Now imagine someone with that athleticism raised in MMA from infancy


The next 5 - 10 years are going to be very interesting to watch. This is an exceedingly unforgiving game. So, it's gonna take elite level athletes that are coming up from supremely rough circumstances who look at an octagon as their only way out. Dom Reyes is a good example of a guy that was able to jet stream to a title shot without having to take too much abuse so maybe some parents will allow their kids to partake at the entry levels and let them continue if they show elite progress.

In some ways, the Adesanya/Romero fight can serve as a microcosm of the MMA game, as a whole, hitting that next level.
_________________
We back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ContagiousInspiration
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 May 2014
Posts: 8323
Location: Boulder ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject:

Adesanya has fought all over the world and has way more experience than his boyish looks foretell

Something seems like he has taken on a whole new mentality.. FORCED TO via the competition and the spotlight..

If he passes Romero is he ready for Costa
_________________
КОБЭ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
22
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Apr 2013
Posts: 16851

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject:

Jan knocks Anderson’s title shot hopes into the shadow realm
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 26254

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Jan knocks Anderson’s title shot hopes into the shadow realm


I was watching that shot and was wondering if Jon can eat it. Reyes hit Jon with some absolute bombs and Jon just got stronger lol...
_________________
KOBE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
22
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Apr 2013
Posts: 16851

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:
Jan knocks Anderson’s title shot hopes into the shadow realm


I was watching that shot and was wondering if Jon can eat it. Reyes hit Jon with some absolute bombs and Jon just got stronger lol...


Yes Jon’s chin is underrated. If it can stand up to polish power like that I’d be impressed! Corey got way too close with that low kick and paid the price

What did you think of Diego taking the DQ and subsequent win bonus? lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 26254

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:
Jan knocks Anderson’s title shot hopes into the shadow realm


I was watching that shot and was wondering if Jon can eat it. Reyes hit Jon with some absolute bombs and Jon just got stronger lol...


Yes Jon’s chin is underrated. If it can stand up to polish power like that I’d be impressed! Corey got way too close with that low kick and paid the price

What did you think of Diego taking the DQ and subsequent win bonus? lol


Man's gotta eat lol.
_________________
KOBE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 11871
Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject:

I’m surprised Corey Anderson’s beard didn’t get detached with that shot.

JJ chin is undefeated and I highly doubt Jan ever gets a shot off that clean against him. He’s a perfect candidate to come away from a fight with Bones much like Anthony Smith did. Take such a large variety of strikes that he just shells up and doesn’t throw anything.

Diego on some different ish. He dgaf. He was posing all hard before his hand got raised, like, “That’s right. This was my destiny!!”
_________________
We back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ContagiousInspiration
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 May 2014
Posts: 8323
Location: Boulder ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject:

If short on time FF to 50.sec mark
Adesanya Romero danceoff
https://www.essentiallysports.com/ufc-israel-adesanya-shows-off-dancing-skills-yoel-romero-wins-the-dance-battle-with-a-backflip/amp/
_________________
КОБЭ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 488, 489, 490
Page 490 of 490
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB