2019 LA Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject:

According to Spotrac, we are now projected to have a CBT of $221M.

That puts us $13M over $208M.

This is where giving Max Muncy that extension hurts us. He only makes $2.5M this year but counts $8.6M against the CBT.

Also sending $10M to the Twins for Maeda counts $4M this year against the CBT.

Joc makes $7.75M.
Stripling makes $2.1M

That's almost $10M.

Kike makes $5.9M.
AJ Pollock counts $12M against the CBT.

David Price counts $15M against the CBT. I wonder if they can move Price to another team?
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
Rengifo has some potential, and with all that team control, I understood why they wanted him and, at the same time, we were going to shed salary. I agree, though, that giving them both Joc and Stripling seemed like too much. Controllable pitching for cheap is worth quite a bit, and I think Stripling for Rengifo felt more right. It was almost like we were giving them Joc for free, so I'm guessing the prospect or prospects we were going to get back from them were decent. And I'm guessing it could've even been a major league young pitcher, given that we now apparently don't think we need what they were offering since we got Graterol in this deal. I wonder if it could've been Patrick Sandoval that we may have obtained.

In any case, I still expect us to move Joc, and I like the idea of keeping Stripling, both for depth purposes and because if another trade target were to materialize during the season, you could put him into that type of a deal.

By the way, this is the type of filth that we're getting with Graterol. I'm really excited about this kid...

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1226646422264655873

Oh my god, that third pitch was so fuggin nasty
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
According to Spotrac, we are now projected to have a CBT of $221M.

That puts us $13M over $208M.

This is where giving Max Muncy that extension hurts us. He only makes $2.5M this year but counts $8.6M against the CBT.

Also sending $10M to the Twins for Maeda counts $4M this year against the CBT.

Joc makes $7.75M.
Stripling makes $2.1M

That's almost $10M.

Kike makes $5.9M.
AJ Pollock counts $12M against the CBT.

David Price counts $15M against the CBT. I wonder if they can move Price to another team?

That AJ Pollock signing didn't look so good at the time. Now, it really sucks. It would be nice to "trade" him for a bag of sunflower seeds, but there is only one team that appears to be willing to try the throwing-the-spaghetti-against-the-wall-to-see-what-sticks approach.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Pollock is such a terrible signing. I hope we're able to off-load him.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

Will Friedman ever stop making the same mistakes?

Dude is just bad at free agent signings

McCarthy
Kazmir
Pollock
Joe Kelly

Who else?
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject:

^eh, i'll give Kelley another year. Dude's a Doyer at heart, I trust he'll turn it around. Right about the rest though, you won't hear an argument from me.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

McCarthy
Kazmir
Pollock
Joe Kelly

Who else?

I think he's at least better than Coletti who liked to get washed up Giants every year lol. But yeah, this is definitely the chink in his armor.
I have hope for Kelly to bounce back (and bring Price with him).
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

McCarthy
Kazmir
Pollock
Joe Kelly

Who else?

I think he's at least better than Coletti who liked to get washed up Giants every year lol. But yeah, this is definitely the chink in his armor.
I have hope for Kelly to bounce back (and bring Price with him).

Yeah, I have hope that Kelly bounces back. But it's still a bad signing though. Seems that we overpaid for his playoff success.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject:

The Dodgers have announced both trades. We'll need to drop 2 players from the 40-man roster. I'm thinking that Tyler White and Kyle Garlick are prime candidates to get put on waivers, at least one of them for sure. Barring a trade, I suppose.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
The Dodgers have announced both trades. We'll need to drop 2 players from the 40-man roster. I'm thinking that Tyler White and Kyle Garlick are prime candidates to get put on waivers, at least one of them for sure. Barring a trade, I suppose.

If we do that, we must be really high on Luke Raley.

Also, how confident are we that Jimmy Nelson can bounce back and contribute anything this year?

Here's our current 40 man roster:

1) Scott Alexander
2) Pedro Baez
3) Walker Buehler
4) Caleb Ferguson
5) Dylan Floro
6) Tony Gonsolin
7) Victor Gonzalez
8) Kenley Jansen
9) Joe Kelly
10) Clayton Kershaw
11) Adam Kolarek
12) Dustin May
13) Jimmy Nelson
14) David Price
15) Dennis Santana
16) Josh Sborz
17) Ross Stripling
18) Blake Treinen
19) Julio Urias
20) Mitchell White
21) Alex Wood
22) Brusdar Graderol

23) Austin Barnes
24) Keibert Ruiz
25) Will Smith
26) Matt Beaty
27) Kike Hernandez
28) Gavin Lux
29) Zach McKinstry
30) Max Muncy
31) Edwin Rios
32) Corey Seager
33) Justin Turner
34) Tyler White
35) Cody Bellinger
36) Mookie Betts
37) Kyle Garlick
38) Joc Pederson
39) DJ Peters
40) AJ Pollock
41) Chris Taylor
42) Luke Raley

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Also, how confident are we that Jimmy Nelson can bounce back and contribute anything this year?

I mean, it's a low-cost flier on Nelson. And yes, I would think that Raley has to be higher in the organizational pecking order than White or Garlick are. The Dodgers actually drafted Raley; he was sent to the Twins in the 2018 Brian Dozier deal. So now we have him back.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I mean, it's a low-cost flier on Nelson. And yes, I would think that Raley has to be higher in the organizational pecking order than White or Garlick are. The Dodgers actually drafted Raley; he was sent to the Twins in the 2018 Brian Dozier deal. So now we have him back.

Yeah you might be right. I thought Luke Raley was old at 25 years old. Then I looked up Garlick, who's 28 and White, who's 29

And Nelson might be a low-cost flier. But he's taking up a valuable 40 man roster spot.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Floro is hot dog doo and who da fuh is DJ Peters??? They can be waived ASAP!

1978-2020
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject:

White and Garlick designated.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
White and Garlick designated.

Damn, you called it huh?
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Okay, 'splain it to me, please. With the Betts trade reconfigured as a two-team deal, why did the Dodgers feel compelled to make the Maeda trade? Graterol has the injury history, AND the Dodgers sent a lot of money?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Okay, 'splain it to me, please. With the Betts trade reconfigured as a two-team deal, why did the Dodgers feel compelled to make the Maeda trade? Graterol has the injury history, AND the Dodgers sent a lot of money?

1) Maeda needed to be a starter to get paid.

2) The Dodgers might not have a spot for him. 4 spots are already locked up with Buehler, Kershaw, Price, and Urias. Maeda would be competing with Wood, May, Gonsolin, Stripling for the 5th spot. Trading him to Minny guarantees him a starter spot. The Dodgers were doing him a solid.

3) With Gonsolin, May, Gray and Urias knocking on the door, Maeda was going to lose his starter spot, if not this year then for sure starting next year

4) Maeda's a great reliever but only an ok starter

5) Graterol's injury concerns have to do with him not being able to be a starter. I don't think there are injury concerns with him being a reliever.

6) Graterol fulfills a bullpen need. We also got Luke Raley and the 67th pick. Graterol also still has 6 years of team control left.

7) Friedman is always looking to replenish the farm system. Since we traded Verdugo, Downs and Wong, Friedman wanted to get some prospects back.

We did that with Graderol, Raley, and the 67th pick in this upcoming draft.

8) Sending out $10M for Maeda is offset by how little we have to pay Graderol for the next 3 years.

9) Last year, Maeda, after figuring his incentives, earned $8,525,000. This year, he counts $4M against our CBT. We want to get under the luxury tax threshold so that's why they moved him.

10) Fangraphs values the 67th pick at $4.1M

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/an-update-on-how-to-value-draft-picks/

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:

My take: they were looking to move Maeda due to the depth at starting pitcher. I'm sure there were also financial motivations due to David Price coming in. Of the SP's on the roster, Maeda was the most logical and easier to move because the Dodgers weren't going to dump any of their young, cost-controlled guys.

It wouldn't also be far fetched that Maeda simply wanted to move on where he would be a full-time starter rather than going in and out of the rotation like he had been the last few seasons.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

My take: they were looking to move Maeda due to the depth at starting pitcher. I'm sure there were also financial motivations due to David Price coming in. Of the SP's on the roster, Maeda was the most logical and easier to move because the Dodgers weren't going to dump any of their young, cost-controlled guys.

It wouldn't also be far fetched that Maeda simply wanted to move on where he would be a full-time starter rather than going in and out of the rotation like he had been the last few seasons.

Maeda was no longer happy here. We kept jerking him around between the rotation and the bullpen and he didn't like it. And as others have noted, we have a lot of depth there and it was a way to save some money. And Graterol really has a chance to be a fantastic reliever. Considering that we got back Graterol, Raley (a guy we once drafted), and the 67th pick, I can totally see why we made the move. I was half-expecting a Maeda trade this offseason.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:42 pm    Post subject:

Do we make any more trades to dump salary on Pederson and Stripling?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:23 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
Do we make any more trades to dump salary on Pederson and Stripling?

I think the writing is on the wall for a Joc trade, but I could be wrong.
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:35 am    Post subject:

Joc to Oak or Cleveland is my feel, can play all 3 outfield and DH. Sucks because we can't afford both him and Pollack, we could had the best outfield defense and most power in the modern era.

1978-2020
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:
Joc to Oak or Cleveland is my feel, can play all 3 outfield and DH. Sucks because we can't afford both him and Pollack, we could had the best outfield defense and most power in the modern era.

If we’re going all in this year, I don’t know why we can’t afford both.

1) We’re estimated to be $13M over the luxury tax line. To get under, we’d need to get rid of Joc + Kike w/o taking back any salary

2) If we’re hell bent on not going over the luxury tax, that means we’ll be handcuffed this year at the trade deadline. We’ve always been active at the trade deadline.

3) Our estimated luxury tax bill for this year is only ~$2M+

4) We can reset next year if we go over this year.

5) Pollock is injury prone. Joc is not

6) Pollock struggled in the playoffs. Joc does not

7) Joc mashes righties. Pollock does not.

8) The Pollock signing was a mistake. No need to make it worse by giving Joc away.

9) I wonder if there’s any way to move Pollock by eating salary? Even eating 1/2 of it like Boston did with Price?

Here’s a very good comment on reddit:

Quote:
lugeadroit:LA2: Los Angeles Dodgers2h
I hope they can find a way to keep both. Joc is amazing against right-handing pitching, hitting a team-best 38 HRs against righties. Pollock is amazing against left-handed pitching, hitting .323 with a .906 OPS against lefties.

Joc was horrible against lefties (.224 BA, .505 OPS), and Pollock was almost as bad against righties (.239 BA, .743 OPS). They can make each other better, with Pederson getting the bulk of the starts against right handers in a way that will help keep Pollock healthy all season long.

Together, they are a match made in heaven. Joc’s low arbitration salary helps to compensate for Pollock’s unmovable salary. Together, they would form one of the best left fielders in the league. Peder-lock, if you will.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:23 am    Post subject:

Here's a question, who pays Maeda's bonus for being traded? Maybe that was part of the $10M we sent Minnesota?

Quote:
Maeda will receive $150,000 each year for making the opening day active 25-man roster.

He will receive $1 million for each of 15 and 20 starts, and $1.5 million for each of 25, 30 and 32 starts.

Maeda each year will earn $250,000 for each of 90, 100, 110, 120, 130, 140, 150, 160, 170, 180 and 190 innings pitched, and $750,000 for 200 innings.

In addition, Maeda receives a $1 million bonus each time he is traded.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject:

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248  Next
Page 244 of 248
Jump to: