Official MMA thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 488, 489, 490 ... 497, 498, 499  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:20 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
I’m with GtR and Mo. I’m sure it was exciting (I didn’t see it live) but to me it doesn’t prove anything about Conor. Looks like cowboy was only concerned with making it into the octagon to get the show money lol.

Best move for Conor is if he can get Dana to start a 165lb division. I don’t see him beating any of the top 170ers other than maybe RDA? And if Khabib beats Tony he’ll still crush Conor again.

Y’all are right they need to pick a winnable fight for Conor or at least one that will be an “acceptable” loss.

If I were Dana I’d put Conor vs masvidal for the new 165lb division title on the Adesanya vs Romero card. If Adesanya is able to beat Romero you’d have a lot of eyes watching potentially creating another star to carry the ufc

I'd love to see Conor against Masvidal. The hype, trash talk and all that would be fun. The actual fight though, would be Masvidal swarming Conor and then putting him to sleep. Masvidal is too big, too powerful, and in many ways similar to Conor in that he picks his shots well and is quite accurate.

They need a "name" for him to fight next, I think Nate is the one. Hypes it up as the trilogy, draws a lot of interest, and Conor probably wins.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
22 wrote:
I’m with GtR and Mo. I’m sure it was exciting (I didn’t see it live) but to me it doesn’t prove anything about Conor. Looks like cowboy was only concerned with making it into the octagon to get the show money lol.

Best move for Conor is if he can get Dana to start a 165lb division. I don’t see him beating any of the top 170ers other than maybe RDA? And if Khabib beats Tony he’ll still crush Conor again.

Y’all are right they need to pick a winnable fight for Conor or at least one that will be an “acceptable” loss.

If I were Dana I’d put Conor vs masvidal for the new 165lb division title on the Adesanya vs Romero card. If Adesanya is able to beat Romero you’d have a lot of eyes watching potentially creating another star to carry the ufc

I'd love to see Conor against Masvidal. The hype, trash talk and all that would be fun. The actual fight though, would be Masvidal swarming Conor and then putting him to sleep. Masvidal is too big, too powerful, and in many ways similar to Conor in that he picks his shots well and is quite accurate.

They need a "name" for him to fight next, I think Nate is the one. Hypes it up as the trilogy, draws a lot of interest, and Conor probably wins.

Bingo.

Masvidal also made a mistep at the conor fight by wearing the exact same weird Versace robe that Conor wore leading up to the Mayweather fight. It came off as trying too hard
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject:

Also, the heavyweight division in the ufc is a mess rn. Blaydes and Ngonnou on title worthy winning streaks and they can’t fight for the title or each other. Stipe and DC and holding the entire division up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:08 am    Post subject:

I'm in for Conor v Masvidal. Let's see how good he really is.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:00 am    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
I'm in for Conor v Masvidal. Let's see how good he really is.

Me too. Connor has great defense and quite a striker himself.. Masvidal took his punching to a Tyson level of aggression lately though.. Just don't get hit!
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject:

ZERO chance Dana puts Conor in the cage with Gamebred.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Looks like Masvidal Usman is booked. I am not at all interested in Conor v Diaz. No knock on Diaz, but we have seen that movie and it doesn't tell me anything about either fighter regardless of outcome. Conor's coach said he would like to see Gaethje at 170. That would be interesting.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject:

I’m all in for Conor bs Gaethje but ultimately I don’t the think the UFC or Conor’s camp takes the risk of him getting KO’d cold
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:31 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:

I agree with this. Feel like at this point it's just too risky.

Yes, it'd be a great event, the 2 of them would hype it up and it'd be a great spectacle, but Conor would get knocked out badly. The myth and allure surrounding him would take a huge hit is he gets knocked out cold in only his second fight back.

Now, if Masvidal could beat Usman to take the belt, then Conor could beat his next opponent (and do so at 170) then maybe late this year or early next year you talk about Masvidal v Conor then. Then you could argue Conor has proved himself a little more at 170 and the risk is worth it to see if he can get a title at a 3rd weight class.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

I agree with this. Feel like at this point it's just too risky.

Yes, it'd be a great event, the 2 of them would hype it up and it'd be a great spectacle, but Conor would get knocked out badly. The myth and allure surrounding him would take a huge hit is he gets knocked out cold in only his second fight back.

Now, if Masvidal could beat Usman to take the belt, then Conor could beat his next opponent (and do so at 170) then maybe late this year or early next year you talk about Masvidal v Conor then. Then you could argue Conor has proved himself a little more at 170 and the risk is worth it to see if he can get a title at a 3rd weight class.

Yup. All signs point to Conor vs Diaz or Aldo again. Relatively safe big name fights for him
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject:

What if Nate were to beat Conor? Does that lose hurt Conor's brand?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
What if Nate were to beat Conor? Does that lose hurt Conor's brand?

By submission or decision probably not. By TKO or KO yes
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject:

MMA might be more corrupt than boxing.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Jones’s corner was beating a garbage can every time Reyes was getting ready to throw.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Can't do this with boxing. Definitely won't do this with MMA. The judging was atrocious today. Apparently if you can't KO jon jones you won't beat him.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject:

Jones won 3-2, 48-47 was correct score. You can't lose the championship rounds and expect to dethrone the GOAT.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:52 pm    Post subject:

I'm okay with a 3-2 for Jones. First two was all Reyes. Last two was Jones. Personally I had round 3 in favor of Reyes. Jones had a few take down attempts that amounted to dick and Reyes was landing more and harder shots.

The judge that gave 4-1 to Jones should be taken to the wood shed.

@Ted - I'm personally not a big proponent of those sort of old adages. Winning the first two, points wise, counts exactly the same as winning the last two rounds. Unfortunately, at the end of the day, it's the fight game and this sort of thing is so par for the course it's testament to fthe fight game that we're still pulling out these old cliches. I actually said this to my coworkers after round 3 (I was *cough* legally, streaming at work lol) that if Reyes can't get the finish, Jones will get the win NO MATTER WHAT.

For what it's worth the overwhelming majority of fighter reactions had it going to Reyes but they're not judges soo...Not one person said Jones "won" the fight. It was the usual "to beat the champ", "don't leave it in the hands of the judges" type crap.

Good thing the UFC has the ESPN TV deal. Their PPV #'s sans Conor have been absolute dog (bleep) and we wonder why.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:16 pm    Post subject:

How much does control of center count

Jones is a technical (bleep) and he knows where the points come from

Rematch is required but not necessary to be the next fight.. Jones choice
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
I'm okay with a 3-2 for Jones. First two was all Reyes. Last two was Jones. Personally I had round 3 in favor of Reyes. Jones had a few take down attempts that amounted to dick and Reyes was landing more and harder shots.

The judge that gave 4-1 to Jones should be taken to the wood shed.

@Ted - I'm personally not a big proponent of those sort of old adages. Winning the first two, points wise, counts exactly the same as winning the last two rounds. Unfortunately, at the end of the day, it's the fight game and this sort of thing is so par for the course it's testament to fthe fight game that we're still pulling out these old cliches. I actually said this to my coworkers after round 3 (I was *cough* legally, streaming at work lol) that if Reyes can't get the finish, Jones will get the win NO MATTER WHAT.

For what it's worth the overwhelming majority of fighter reactions had it going to Reyes but they're not judges soo...Not one person said Jones "won" the fight. It was the usual "to beat the champ", "don't leave it in the hands of the judges" type crap.

Good thing the UFC has the ESPN TV deal. Their PPV #'s sans Conor have been absolute dog (bleep) and we wonder why.

Yea I agree, I don't think the judges should score it that way, BUT I do think if a fighter loses rounds 4 and 5 of a championship fight, people shouldn't call it a robbery. If Reyes was dominant in either of the last two rounds he would've won the fight.

I had Reyes winning rounds 1,3 and Jones 4,5. Round 2 was close and I gave it to Jones.

Agree about the 4-1 judge. He should be fired. Apparently he hadn't judged a UFC fight since 2017. How the hell did he get the main event?

Last edited by Ted on Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:

I think Reyes is going to be better served if he paces himself more. He was going for the kill shot for the first 2 rounds (a la Conor).
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:26 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:

I think Reyes is going to be better served if he paces himself more. He was going for the kill shot for the first 2 rounds (a la Conor).

True but an opportunity to confuse Jones was at hand. Jones looked weakened for a moment on some early strikes in first and bet Reyes thought he might get him right there.. I would have been happy had Reyes won. Tired of Master of Defense winner of paychecks.. as much as Silva disliked having to hurt someone even he tried to finish people. Jones is sort of boring to me.

In that fifth round I kept thinking Reyes needed to just tell himself Jones doesn't win by knockout so
Get in there and treat it like the first.

I was impressed by Reyes.ike you said.. getting breathing down and more shots landed ratio.

The two women before Jones. Wow..wtf is that chick. Female version of Ivan Drago

Vicious elbow strike and extreme efficiency. Fun to watch her
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject:

The two most outrageous things to happen in UFC247 were that judge that had it 49-46 Jones, and Jessica Eye begging for a rematch with Shevchenko lol.

I had Reyes 3-2, but I’m fine with Jones winning the decision it was close.

I hope they rematch one day. I think you’ll see Jones initiate the clinch much sooner before they get sweaty and go for the sub
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/f126ja/spoiler_joe_rogan_calls_out_a_judge/

Ladies and gentleman, these are your judges...
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
The two most outrageous things to happen in UFC247 were that judge that had it 49-46 Jones, and Jessica Eye begging for a rematch with Shevchenko lol.

I hope they rematch one day. I think you’ll see Jones initiate the clinch much sooner before they get sweaty and go for the sub

What's hilarious is the 2 rounds Jones clearly won was primarily based on ring control. He landed more strikes in the latter two but neither volume or significance came close to how badly Reyes was tee-ing off on him at points.

Seriously, wtf is this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/f14tx4/spoiler_striking_differential_in_main_event/

Really? The takedowns John did land in the 3rd amounted to absolutely NOTHING. Just because you land a takedown and the guy immediately bounces back up shouldn't come close to counting more than getting your face slapped in the rest of the round. Crazy. I'm not sure how 1 and 3 were clear Reyes and 2 was the one up for grabs. That's wild to me. Jones did nothing in 2. He was vastly outstruck in both volume and damage and didn't even attempt a take down. If anything, 3 was the one up for grabs. And even then not a single fighter tweet had Jones winning it, not one. ZERO. Dana White thought his golden boy lost. Dominick Cruz had Reyes doing enough to win. Sure, wtf does Dom know about MMA....

What are some people watching?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:

What's hilarious is the 2 rounds Jones clearly won was primarily based on ring control. He landed more strikes in the latter two but neither volume or significance came close to how badly Reyes was tee-ing off on him at points.

Seriously, wtf is this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/f14tx4/spoiler_striking_differential_in_main_event/

Really? The takedowns John did land in the 3rd amounted to absolutely NOTHING. Just because you land a takedown and the guy immediately bounces back up shouldn't come close to counting more than getting your face slapped in the rest of the round. Crazy. I'm not sure how 1 and 3 were clear Reyes and 2 was the one up for grabs. That's wild to me. Jones did nothing in 2. He was vastly outstruck in both volume and damage and didn't even attempt a take down. If anything, 3 was the one up for grabs. And even then not a single fighter tweet had Jones winning it, not one. ZERO. Dana White thought his golden boy lost. Dominick Cruz had Reyes doing enough to win. Sure, wtf does Dom know about MMA....

What are some people watching?

The funny thing too JB is the judges had just gave Lewis the decision because they DIDN'T award Latifi's meaningless takedowns lol
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 488, 489, 490 ... 497, 498, 499  Next
Page 489 of 499
Jump to: