Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: XFL Thread

lol
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Did Vince McMahon strut out to his entrance music during the first kickoff?

Ultimately I hope they succeed. Why not? It's more football for the masses. As long as it's quality, or at least somewhat quality.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Surprisingly a lot better than the last iteration because theres no WWE wrestlers in the show and theres actually competent NFL people running the show.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Interesting that they have no cheerleaders this time.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject:

I like a lot of the different rules, and like the quick pace of the game. You can see why these players aren’t in the NFL though and it has looked sloppy (first game though).

It looks better than last time because they are trying to attract football fans now instead of wrestling fans too.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Enjoying what I've seen so far.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Its a lot more polished than all the other previous alternative leagues I've seen (never watched the USFL so I have no idea how it compares to that). There is a decent crowd for both games today estimated around 20k. Feels a lot more like college football, just because of the pacing and rules. Vince Mcmahon staying in the background and letting NFL people run the organization puts a lot more credibility into XFL 2.0.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Its a lot more polished than all the other previous alternative leagues I've seen (never watched the USFL so I have no idea how it compares to that). There is a decent crowd for both games today estimated around 20k. Feels a lot more like college football, just because of the pacing and rules. Vince Mcmahon staying in the background and letting NFL people run the organization puts a lot more credibility into XFL 2.0.

Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject:

LA is 9 points behind and it’s still a one score game.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject:

HEHATEME
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:54 am    Post subject:

The kickoffs are interesting. I think the NFL has ruined kickoffs. They are often more dull than watching the extra point now. The kickers just kick it thru the end zone for a touchback. They have made it so boring that people wouldn’t complain if it’s eliminated.

The way the XFL does it makes it less dangerous and anything beats watching several kicks thru the end zone every game.

The OT rules are really interesting and give it a quick finish. I want to see a game in OT.

I mostly feel positive about this, but I might watch any football this time of the year. Also, it was only the first week but I wasn’t impressed with the players. They are older and more experienced than the college guys (obviously), but it felt like I was watching guys that would struggle to make the NFL. Of course I felt that way because I was watching guys that aren’t in the NFL. I’m curious to see how they look later in the season.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:56 am    Post subject:

First XFL kickoff:

LINK
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
The kickoffs are interesting. I think the NFL has ruined kickoffs. They are often more dull than watching the extra point now. The kickers just kick it thru the end zone for a touchback. They have made it so boring that people wouldn’t complain if it’s eliminated.

The way the XFL does it makes it less dangerous and anything beats watching several kicks thru the end zone every game.

The OT rules are really interesting and give it a quick finish. I want to see a game in OT.

I mostly feel positive about this, but I might watch any football this time of the year. Also, it was only the first week but I wasn’t impressed with the players. They are older and more experienced than the college guys (obviously), but it felt like I was watching guys that would struggle to make the NFL. Of course I felt that way because I was watching guys that aren’t in the NFL. I’m curious to see how they look later in the season.

You can definitely see who is writing rules for the the league. In 2001 we had the opening scramble.... That was definitely a WWE writer who probably put their input in that.
In 2020 we have football people creating a safer way to do the opening kickoff.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I noticed the polish as well, my theory is the spread game and its impact on the NFL leads to a lot more player availability than we had 20 years ago. I'd say this is pretty good for the NFL as well, because it gives me another evaluation point for players.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject:

yeah I have to say that kickoff idea is pretty good

to those who watched yesterday, how would you rank the quality of play on a scale of pop warner to NFL?

Last edited by PHILosophize on Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
yeah I have to say that kickoff idea pretty good

to those who watched yesterday, how would you rank the quality of play on a scale of pop warner to NFL?

I would put the quality of play around the college level. Its not NFL level, but its watchable.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject:

I enjoy the broadcast differences. It’s fun hearing the plays being called, listening to the conversation between the ref and the replay official. And the access to players on the sidelines is great.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject:

Its a good thing they played the first game (DC vs Seattle) as the intro game to the XFL because the 2nd and 3rd ones have been getting worse in terms of competitiveness.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately this 3rd game is capturing the spirit of the original XFL....and not in a good way.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:05 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Unfortunately this 3rd game is capturing the spirit of the original XFL....and not in a good way.

Many of the new rules are an attempt to get more offense, but yeah the second day wasn’t as good. And again, I find myself occasionally thinking “That’s why he isn’t in the NFL.”

I’m still intrigued though. Hopefully the teams look better as the season goes on; I saw someone say it reminded him of preseason in the CFL. Even in the NFL teams improve during the season.

I find myself wondering what teams should be doing in games more often because the new rules create some unique situations I’m not used to seeing.

And I thought this comment I saw from someone else was accurate:

Quote:
An interesting side effect of this access to what the coaches are saying and doing is it becomes easy to develop opinions about them pretty quickly. Like how I came away from this game thinking the St. Louis coach has a great demeanor for this league. He seems very patient and good at working with guys at this level. Seems like a good guy.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:15 am    Post subject:

First XFL game draws 3.3 million viewers on ABC

Quote:
ABC announced that number today and added that the viewership peaked at the end of the broadcast, which is a good sign that the game kept fans interested.

Last year, the Alliance of American Football drew 2.9 million viewers for its first game. The AAF never reached anything remotely close to that again and shut down before completing its first season.

But the XFL has a much better TV deal than the AAF had.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Many of the new rules are an attempt to get more offense, but yeah the second day wasn’t as good. And again, I find myself occasionally thinking “That’s why he isn’t in the NFL.”

I’m still intrigued though. Hopefully the teams look better as the season goes on; I saw someone say it reminded him of preseason in the CFL. Even in the NFL teams improve during the season.

I find myself wondering what teams should be doing in games more often because the new rules create some unique situations I’m not used to seeing.

And I thought this comment I saw from someone else was accurate:

Quote:
An interesting side effect of this access to what the coaches are saying and doing is it becomes easy to develop opinions about them pretty quickly. Like how I came away from this game thinking the St. Louis coach has a great demeanor for this league. He seems very patient and good at working with guys at this level. Seems like a good guy.

The problem is that the XFL doesn't really have built in loyalty like the NFL does so they can't really afford to have a lot of bad games. So if there is bad football being played some of those audiences will turn it off and never come back.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
yeah I have to say that kickoff idea pretty good

I would put the quality of play around the college level. Its not NFL level, but its watchable.

I think that's fair.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject:

LA wins for the first time in a shocking blowout.

LINK

I think the football is getting better. Unfortunately the biggest audience tunes in during week 1, when the teams are at their worst.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject:

XFL attendance actually seems to be doing okay, averaging just short of 20k per game. That's not bad for a start up league. From what I've seen, the product is decent, though a few notches below the NFL.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: