What did Kobe mean to you or teach you over the years?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject: What did Kobe mean to you or teach you over the years?

I've always believed that sports aren't just about entertainment, they're also about learning life lessons and learning about the laws of success. Kobe was such a great example of that through the years, and many have talked about that on this tragic day.

So I thought I'd start this thread in the hopes of it becoming a tribute of what Kobe has meant to us beyond basketball.

For me, he taught me that the seemingly impossible can be and is possible. He also taught me the laws of success, that when you combine natural ability with specific goals, a well-defined "why," a great work ethic, a willingness to be coached and mentored and the need (not just the "want") to succeed, you will succeed and hit your goals.
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Work ethic. Determination. Resilience.

Kobe taught me that you don't have to be the most talented or gifted, but you should not be out worked. Whatever hand you're dealt, what you can control is how much you put into it. Whatever life throws at you, keep going, keep bouncing back, keep working.

(bleep), I cannot believe this superhero is gone, man.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject:

Man I don’t even know how to answer this question. Kobe defined things and did things on the court that didn’t seem possible. He taught me that nothing is impossible. With the right heart and an obsession to better yourself all things are possible.
Rashomon
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject:

Success is not about the destination, it’s in the journey. You have to accept the pain of doing the work. The feeling of pushing yourself and discovering what you’re made of. That’s actually the dream.
cheesehead88
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject: Never Give Up. Dream Big.

Went to a Magic Johnson basketball camp in 1989.

Was a terrible basketball player. Probably the worst one there.

Still fairly mediocre. I am 5’7”

My peak was hitting 36 free throws in a row in my thirties.

But I still remember Magic saying dream big, work hard and you can do whatever you want in life.

Kobe just took that to another level.

In a world constantly dominated by technological advances and the internet Kobe and other similar Superstar athletes still remind us that human beings can still do extraordinary things.

Just like Zen in the Art of Archery
Zen in the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Or Sacred Hoops
x75274
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject:

How much personal growth (physically and mentally) one can achieve through hard work and dedication. It wasnt long that long ago that Phil Jackson viewed him as uncoachable and wanted him gone almost immediately despite the talent. We remember his personality conflicts and how he couldnt and did not particularly care about fitting in with teammates to the point someone once said Kobe seemed to view teammates as his spear carriers than partners in arms. To being the dynamic, smart, strong and fair leader that he became where Ariza Odom, Gasol Fisher, Vujacic, Powell, and Turiaf adored and respected him and he could even reach hard to connect to guys like Bynum and Artest.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:51 pm    Post subject:

It’s not what Kobe meant to me, but it’s what Kobe will mean to me moving forward. I’m already a great father and a good husband. I’ll be even better. I have a good job that I’ve been at for 15 years. I can do better and be happier. I will have the “Mamba Mentality” when something I want seems impossible. I’ll use Kobe as an example and improve on aspects of my life. That is what I’ll learn from Kobe.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject:

Excellent question I've thought a lot about. I sincerely thought that one day I would get the opportunity to tell Kobe himself.

I'm 61. I've always appreciated that Kobe perfectly displayed, and taught me on a very deep level, the power of focus. Its an area I've struggled with for most of my adult years, and seeing him over the years was a living memo for me.
IPK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Dear Mamba
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:13 pm    Post subject:

People know most of the lessons. They’re all out there. Work ethic etc etc.

Here’s one and here’s what I think made Kobe so amazing.

He was stubborn. It was his way. He was intelligent but he was wreckless. He wanted more. He could have been more efficient - he didn’t care. He took fade-away jumpers at the end of the shot clock when people nowadays pass it off.

He would do more heat checks than any player ever before or to come. He tested and pushed limits no other player did. The closest was Steph shooting from way out there.

He was a man’s man. He wanted to beat you the hard way. He didn’t want it easy. He was stubborn. I will shoot this over you and humiliate you because I am that good.

He wasn’t afraid to fail - he rather do it his way and fail rather than the other way and succeed.

One of the most stubborn characters I’ve ever come across and it was beautiful because he put himself on the line and built an untouchable legacy.
nbcbballthemesong
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:14 pm    Post subject:

I only met him once and was able to chat about Ray Allen (back when they had a public beef). Let's just say Kobe didn't have too many nice things to say about Ray. He took a picture w/ me and off he went (preseason game - Lakers vs Sonics in San Diego).

I am an absolute terrible sport. If I lose I'm miserable to be around....doesn't matter what the game is. I wonder if that is from watching Kobe since I was 10 years old.
frostdude1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:22 pm    Post subject:

Work really really hard. And WIN. Anything is possible with hard work. Anything!!!
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:27 pm    Post subject:

I used to watch Kobe highlights every time I had midterms or finals in college lol. Even getting to college was a struggle. But anyway, this sounds stupid, but watching Kobe and just knowing what his mentality is inspired me to pull all nighters at school and at work. I ended up going to UC Berkeley and went to work at some top firms and tech companies in Bay Area. I honestly don’t think I would have done that If I didn’t have role models like Kobe, Ali, Obama etc
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject:

Determination and hard work, Kobe was the embodiment of those things.

We should always remember
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:32 pm    Post subject:

Kobe set an impossible standard that I know I could never live up to. I enjoy sleeping in. I enjoy spending a weekend in my PJ's now and then. I enjoy kicking my feet up and having a beer or two while watching the game. But Kobe was my inspiration if I ever did any of these things in excess. I'd think of that commercial of him working out and then I'd jump out of bed. If I had a bad day at work I'd think of Kobe tearing his achilles, stepping to the line, draining two free throws, and then walking off on his own. I'm not lazy, but I'll never be Kobe. He just taught me how to be a better version of myself.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:51 pm    Post subject:

Always give your very best!
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Work hard. One of the traits that I admired the most Kobe had was his hard work. I take that every day of my life especially at work.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:05 am    Post subject:

My two biggest role models growing up was Kobe #1 as i'm 35 so we were always somewhat close age wise and then Jerry Rice was the other.. It's kind of insane how spoiled I was as a fan and not having a clue, I just remember watching him pour his heart and soul out on the floor every night and constantly hearing stories about how relentless and hard working he was pretty much all the time. He was never satisfied, his appetite to get better and be the best never tilted from age 17 to his final game.

He made it very clear to be great or accomplish anything of value you have to put in that work, there are no shortcuts. I remember in HS i'd always try to be the first to come and last to leave in practices whether it was football or basketball and much of that mentality was brought on watching the greatest athlete of all time imo in Kobe Bryant year in and year out growing up. No matter how great any athlete is from now to the day I die they will never come remotely close to Kobe's greatness in my eyes at least. His greatness goes way beyond any statistics.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:17 am    Post subject:

Tony Almeida wrote:
Work ethic. Determination. Resilience.

Kobe taught me that you don't have to be the most talented or gifted, but you should not be out worked. Whatever hand you're dealt, what you can control is how much you put into it. Whatever life throws at you, keep going, keep bouncing back, keep working.

(bleep), I cannot believe this superhero is gone, man.

I could not have written this any better. He was definitely one of the greatest motivators of all time.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:27 am    Post subject:

He meant a lot. I was seeing him as motivation to keep forward in some though moments.

Also the most important thing I learned watching him is that everything is possible at any time. Dont lose belief in something you want and try to push for it.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:45 am    Post subject:

Kobe made me a basketball fan and a diehard Lakers fan
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:50 am    Post subject:

Kobe was a real one. True his conviction, true to his word. Worked like a mofo, achieved his goals, and in doing so never compromised. He earned people's respect, be it friend or foe. I'm grateful that he was a Laker.
lakerzkb8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:28 am    Post subject:

Assertiveness, work ethic, resiliency, sacrifice, the list goes on and on. He was my childhood hero and an inspiration to pursue my dreams as a young man. He is one of the people who has shaped me into the man that I've become.

So thank you Kobe. Rest in love
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:47 am    Post subject:

Everything.

His life was a piece of art. I’m not talking about the successes either - mainly the failures and how he overcame them. Not necessarily losing to Boston or Utah etc..

Distance from parents..

Marriage issues...

Teammate problems..

Law issues...

How he overcame them all..truly brilliant.
Dondre
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:45 am    Post subject:

He taught me to stay with my wife, it’s cheaper to keep her...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: