Official Zion Williamson Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:55 am    Post subject: Official Zion Williamson Thread

not a bad debut
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:04 am    Post subject:

Definitely exciting but not sure how his body can hold up if he doesn't lose weight. Charles Barkley the player was skinny compared to Zion.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:34 am    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
Definitely exciting but not sure how his body can hold up if he doesn't lose weight. Charles Barkley the player was skinny compared to Zion.

he can definitely afford to shed some of that dough...even just 15-20 fewer lbs
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:45 am    Post subject:

He's already looking like the best player in the NBA. If he stays healthy, he's the GOAT.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject:

Incredible debut from Zion after a slow start in the first 3 quarters! I almost turned the TV off because the 4 minute stretches were annoying, but he balled out in that 4th!
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:54 am    Post subject:

The miss layup and the super quick re-jump to grab the board and putback in the 4th was super athletic
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
He's already looking like the best player in the NBA. If he stays healthy, he's the GOAT.
lol wut?

on a serious note, he HAS GOT TO lose at least 20 pounds. He is carrying wayyy too much weight on those knees. And hes already got knock knees so I personally think he will battle knee injuries all his career but he can greatly help himself if he gets down to 260 or less.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject:

LakersChamps04 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
lol wut?

on a serious note, he HAS GOT TO lose at least 20 pounds. He is carrying wayyy too much weight on those knees. And hes already got knock knees so I personally think he will battle knee injuries all his career but he can greatly help himself if he gets down to 260 or less.

He has a football player's build where he's just really wide and muscular under the baby fat. I don't know that he has 20 pounds to lose any more than, say, prime J.J. Watt had 20 pounds to lose.

He's not already the best player in the NBA, but if he stays healthy there's going to be a heckuva battle for the best player in the league status between him, Luka, and Giannis in future seasons.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject:

Yeah. It's all about health. That entire Pels team is built on a stack of iffy-health players (BI/Zo missed a lot of games on the Lakers) and Zion. If healthy, that's going to be a nightmare team in a few years.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject:

He looks like a great stretch modern day big, who can play inside or outside, More athletic Barkley is right.

But on defense ... man. He looked awful. I saw quite a bit of this one. The kid will be an all-star many times and looks like franchise talent. But defensively they will need to hide him or find a position for him. I recall even in Duke this was a knock on him. He has great help D and that kind of potential as a shot blocker, but his feet don't move great on D with pick and rolls. The Spurs run very average pick and rolls and they were feasting on Zion's weaknesses.

Interesting to see what happens with Ingram now that the franchise guy is in place. You can tell already they began (especially Ball) to feed Zion. Ingram will lose some touches. Once Zion starts to peak maybe 20-25 games from now, then you will see what Ingram's true impact ability is - because on a very good team you need share the ball with another star. Talent wise though - Zion, Ingram, Ball. That's a fun trio to watch. Such a shame all the years on the Lakers sucking we didn't draft a big to complement all the wing/guard talent - someone like Zion or Porzingis or even KAT would have been so much more of a balanced group that could win games for you (and make the team more fun to watch).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
He looks like a great stretch modern day big, who can play inside or outside, More athletic Barkley is right.

But on defense ... man. He looked awful. I saw quite a bit of this one. The kid will be an all-star many times and looks like franchise talent. But defensively they will need to hide him or find a position for him. I recall even in Duke this was a knock on him. He has great help D and that kind of potential as a shot blocker, but his feet don't move great on D with pick and rolls. The Spurs run very average pick and rolls and they were feasting on Zion's weaknesses.

Interesting to see what happens with Ingram now that the franchise guy is in place. You can tell already they began (especially Ball) to feed Zion. Ingram will lose some touches. Once Zion starts to peak maybe 20-25 games from now, then you will see what Ingram's true impact ability is - because on a very good team you need share the ball with another star. Talent wise though - Zion, Ingram, Ball. That's a fun trio to watch. Such a shame all the years on the Lakers sucking we didn't draft a big to complement all the wing/guard talent - someone like Zion or Porzingis or even KAT would have been so much more of a balanced group that could win games for you (and make the team more fun to watch).

This is not true. He has incredibly quick feet and body control and was an elite defender at Duke.

What he is on defense is undisciplined because he's always been able to get away with it against less athletic players on smaller courts. He'll get to be a terror on that end, too - the work ethic and instincts along with the physical tools will get him there.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject:

Imagine if the Pels had say the 4th pick, and the Lakers had the 1st. Would we wait to sign AD later or would they dare trade Zion for AD?
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Imagine if the Pels had say the 4th pick, and the Lakers had the 1st. Would we wait to sign AD later or would they dare trade Zion for AD?

thats still the play to make... we get AD AND their #4 pick.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

This is not true. He has incredibly quick feet and body control and was an elite defender at Duke.

What he is on defense is undisciplined because he's always been able to get away with it against less athletic players on smaller courts. He'll get to be a terror on that end, too - the work ethic and instincts along with the physical tools will get him there.

Yea, i watched him at Duke and last night, and I agree with you completely. He has the physical tools to be a great defender in the NBA.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject:

having Zion at small ball center should be interesting.

I also agree he has quick feet, but may not have small ball center instincts. But he has a lot of time.

Damn Pels.

CP3 "leaves": #1 pick for AD.
AD "leaves": #1 pick for Zion.

When Zion "leaves": #1 pick...
cencio_999
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I also agree he has quick feet, but may not have small ball center instincts. But he has a lot of time.

Damn Pels.

Draft lottery is rigged
Cannot prove it, but I'm sure about it
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Damn Pels.

He tore it up in the 4th last night as a small ball C.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject:

He has the Sam Perkins shot lift and form
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject:

LakersChamps04 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
lol wut?

Everyone thought LeBron would have knee problems but it never really happened. However little Derrick Ross had them constantly. Vince Carter who was probably close to his ideal weight also had knee problems. So I am not convinced him being at a magic number of lbs will change his injury chances much.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
He has the Sam Perkins shot lift and form

Sam Perkins shot, Jordan athleticism, Anthony Mason body.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:14 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Yeah. It's all about health. That entire Pels team is built on a stack of iffy-health players (BI/Zo missed a lot of games on the Lakers) and Zion. If healthy, that's going to be a nightmare team in a few years.

Health is a huge if.

Just have a bad feeling he'll always deal with injuries. He plays at a different speed, he is a high flyer, and that comes with risks. He has already dealt with knee injuries. And the more he deals with injuries, the less effective he'll be. Just look at Blake Griffin.

Hope I'm wrong as he seems like a once in a lifetime talent and is a likable dude.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I was kind of relieved they didn't get the number one pick, because I would never want them to trade Zion away and I'm almost certain they would have.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
LakersChamps04 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
lol wut?

Everyone thought LeBron would have knee problems but it never really happened. However little Derrick Ross had them constantly. Vince Carter who was probably close to his ideal weight also had knee problems. So I am not convinced him being at a magic number of lbs will change his injury chances much.

How many near-300 pound guys fly around like he does? It's almost unprecedented. That's what makes him unstoppable if he fulfills his potential. The sheer inertia, he's like Juggernaut with hops.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject:

i'm not sold on Zion. if this were the 90s or the 2000s, then yes, his physique alone would make him one of the best in the league. but today's league is all about length, quickness, positionless versatility, outside shooting ability, not so much about body builder muscle, jumping ability and power game. another bad sign about Zion is his body type, he has to be very careful with his body type, i can see him blow up like eddy Curry if he's not careful with his dieting. time will tell i guess.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
i'm not sold on Zion. if this were the 90s or the 2000s, then yes, his physique alone would make him one of the best in the league. but today's league is all about length, quickness, positionless versatility, outside shooting ability, not so much about body builder muscle, jumping ability and power game. another bad sign about Zion is his body type, he has to be very careful with his body type, i can see him blow up like eddy Curry if he's not careful with his dieting. time will tell i guess.

He is not just a linebacker playing bball.

His skillset is amazing. His court vision surprising. His ability to move his body mid-air, dexterity, footwork, unbelievable.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: