If you drafted Tatum over Ball
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BirdMagicLegend
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject:

I'm still baffled at how hard Lakers fans backpedal when it comes to Lonzo Ball. When he is on the team, you guys buy into the hype from his dad and the media and he is the greatest Laker since Kobe Bryant and the next Magic Johnson from Day 1.

I never thought he was as good as advertised nor did most NBA fans and now that he is on the Pelicans, he was never that good?? Come on..

I wouldn't trade Tatum for one year of Davis but if he was guaranteed to sign long term, I would have to think twice. I would personally rather keep Tatum as he would be the future star of the team. The next Paul Pierce or Kobe Bryant. Davis gets hurt a lot anyways.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
It was very obvious that Colangelo wanted Fultz and that Magic wanted Ball, so Ainge was comfortable trading down with the expectation that Tatum would still be there.

If just one of Magic and Colangelo had been the silent type that Ainge was unable to read, Boston wouldn't have traded down and would have just selected Tatum.

That’s what ticked me off the most about Magic. Lonzo obviously flopped in his workout in front of the FO and scouts. So what does Magic do? Schedule a private workout with none of our talent evaluators present. He was such a colossal failure.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject:

Hindsight is always 20-20.

2014: Lavine
2015: Porzingis
2016: Ingram
2017: Tatum

Sign Lebron in 2018.
Vogel as coach instead of Luke.

5 Porzingis
4 Tatum (SF/SG on D)
3 Ingram (SG/SF on D primarily)
2 LaVine (PG on D)
1 Lebron (PG on O, PF on D)

So much interchanging on D with Porzingis, Lebron, Ingram, Tatum. All 4 guys can switch positions 2-5 possibly.

But even then, I think that kind of team would be up there in the top 4 in the West and be a darkhorse, but with the youth and other stuff, I don't think they would win a title in the Lebron era.

Hindsight is always fun though
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Sign Lebron in 2018.

5 Porzingis
4 Tatum (SF/SG on D)
2 LaVine (PG on D)

So much interchanging on D with Porzingis, Lebron, Ingram, Tatum. All 4 guys can switch positions 2-5 possibly.

But even then, I think that kind of team would be up there in the top 4 in the West and be a darkhorse, but with the youth and other stuff, I don't think they would win a title in the Lebron era.

No they already had two red flags. The carny father and an unimpressive workout.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject:

Tatum wouldn't have looked nearly as good on the Lakers. They'd be talking about how Jaylen Brown is twice the player he is.

That's what you get when you hire Byron Scott and Luke Walton.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject:

Tatum's not even as good as Ingram, and we traded the latter for AD. So I wouldn't have hesitated to trade Tatum if they were flipped, and in this hypothetical world, it would have allowed us to still keep Ingram.

I still don't get the hype on Tatum, and apparently the Boston/east coast marketing machine has even gotten to some of you. He's good, and a gifted scorer for a guy his age, but I still don't see a franchise player who can carry a team when all the attention is on him. His shooting efficiency has tanked with the uptick in volume, and while that's obviously expected to a degree, he also doesn't get to the line enough to make up for it nor is he a strong playmaker.

Everyone seems to ignore all the support he's had on these Celtic teams since he joined the league, and I'm more than a little envious of the coaching he received compared to our guys (that last part is just a note, not a jab at him). But even Jaylen Brown has arguably surpassed him, and I don't see anyone calling him a franchise player.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
methdxman wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Ball is a walking triple double when healthy. Different kind of players.

Ball is a bust. He puts in the lowest energy triple doubles ever.
And nobody wants to see him with the ball in the 4th quarter with his lack of confidence and terrible FT shooting.

He's a bust plain and simple for a #2 pick.

Over the last month he’s averaging 14-7-7 with 1.5 steals a game while shooting 38% from 3.
Little early in a player’s career to say that.
People thought Billups was garbage for years.
Wonder what ever happened to that guy.

Ball definitely isn’t a bust. Lakers fans don’t ever appreciate what they have. If Kobe played today, in the world of Twitter, he would have never made it through his first 4 seasons. Would be on the Pelicans or something.

Probably the strangest thing I’ve noticed over the last decade or so is the ever increasing lack of patience from fan bases when it comes to player development. Even more odd when you consider just how young these prospects are most times.

To be fair to Laker fans especially (who are among the worst IMO at evaluating young players) we haven’t had top prospect picks for years prior to the recent bunch. They don’t know what a young prospect actually looks like. And then the ones we did have turned out to be Hall of Famers. Our frame of reference is collectively out of whack.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
methdxman wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Ball is a walking triple double when healthy. Different kind of players.

Ball is a bust. He puts in the lowest energy triple doubles ever.
And nobody wants to see him with the ball in the 4th quarter with his lack of confidence and terrible FT shooting.

He's a bust plain and simple for a #2 pick.

Over the last month he’s averaging 14-7-7 with 1.5 steals a game while shooting 38% from 3.
Little early in a player’s career to say that.
People thought Billups was garbage for years.
Wonder what ever happened to that guy.

Ball definitely isn’t a bust. Lakers fans don’t ever appreciate what they have. If Kobe played today, in the world of Twitter, he would have never made it through his first 4 seasons. Would be on the Pelicans or something.

Probably the strangest thing I’ve noticed over the last decade or so is the ever increasing lack of patience from fan bases when it comes to player development. Even more odd when you consider just how young these prospects are most times.

To be fair to Laker fans especially (who are among the worst IMO at evaluating young players) we haven’t had top prospect picks for years prior to the recent bunch. They don’t know what a young prospect actually looks like. And then the ones we did have turned out to be Hall of Famers. Our frame of reference is collectively out of whack.

Fair enough
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Ball is a walking triple single when healthy. Different kind of players.

FIFY

The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

FIFY

Everyone disregard my joke above.... I just saw someone had beat me to the punch. lol

As soon as I saw the post above, I just HAD to respond (prematurely).
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
Tatum wouldn't have looked nearly as good on the Lakers. They'd be talking about how Jaylen Brown is twice the player he is.

That's what you get when you hire Byron Scott and Luke Walton.

true. You have to factor in never having signed either...
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Of course you still do the AD trade if you draft Tatum instead of Ball.

Don't be fooled by his game against us last night. Tatum is good, but not that good. He always shows flashes where he looks like a blossoming star, but then he regresses to being simply a solid player.

To paraphrase Isiah Thomas, if Tatum weren't a Celtic, he'd be just another good guy.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject:

Given the start he had, Tatum's progression hasn't been that impressive. He's regressed in efficiency. A year ago, you would say Tatum over BI. Not anymore. But he is a year younger.

All I know is that it's going to be hell around here if Bron doesn't deliver a chip with AD.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Sign Lebron in 2018.

5 Porzingis
4 Tatum (SF/SG on D)
2 LaVine (PG on D)

Ain’t that like 5 max players
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

FIFY

those players are generational talents. the Lakers only have like 10 of them. Cook and Daniels are both consistent triple single candidates.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Sign Lebron in 2018.

5 Porzingis
4 Tatum (SF/SG on D)
2 LaVine (PG on D)

Ain’t that like 5 max players

Yep but you can have as many as you want if you use their bird rights. But Ingram, his max and Tatum, his max would not kick in, until 2021-22 and 22-23 respectively. By that 23, Lebron is likely out of the max contract window.

It would have been possible, but hindsight is always 20-20.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Given the start he had, Tatum's progression hasn't been that impressive. He's regressed in efficiency. A year ago, you would say Tatum over BI. Not anymore. But he is a year younger.

All I know is that it's going to be hell around here if Bron doesn't deliver a chip with AD.

Most definitely
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: