Official MMA thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 487, 488, 489 ... 497, 498, 499  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Man. I can’t be sipping that Kool Aid like some of y’all. I’m actually shocked fam.

We’re talking about a Cowboy who was coming off being dismembered by Ferguson and Gaethji. Conor won. Looked good doing it. Won’t deny that. But perspective is begging to be heard after this entire show was a set up from the fighters to the announcers to frame the Irishman’s return as victorious, resurgent and reinvigorating the company. Rogan tried to keep it a little real but it’s a mandate.

Let’s see the man stack up against anyone in the top 5. He does what he did tonight and all this hyperbole is definitely warranted.

Who didn’t think Conor would beat Cowboy? Who here would actually be surprised if we’d been told in advance of watching it how the victory would come?

Good for the UFC, good on Conor. Now let’s see a real matchup. Because until that happens, it’s a reach.

Cowboy was #5. Overall point is not unfounded. Cowboy would have been more competitive a couple of years ago, but McGregor is obviously in a different class. The outcome would have been the same if perhaps a little later in the fight. This was a comeback fight. No reason for him to take on a monster in his first fight after taking on two unbeaten champions and coming up short. Conor looked sharp. That's my takeaway.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Went out to watch the fight...place was absolutely bonkers. Place went (bleep) when Conor won.

There are just some people man....they have IT. They might not be the absolute GOAT or what not but they are electric. Kobe has it. Conor has it.

Love him or hate him, we all know EVERY, SINGLE, FIGHTER on the roster is secretly cheering the fact that Conor's back. ALL OF THEM. Everyone's going to be clamoring to be on his cards and the rest of them will just be happy that the halo effect of a guy like him is going to rub off on the entire sport.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Man. I can’t be sipping that Kool Aid like some of y’all. I’m actually shocked fam.

We’re talking about a Cowboy who was coming off being dismembered by Ferguson and Gaethji. Conor won. Looked good doing it. Won’t deny that. But perspective is begging to be heard after this entire show was a set up from the fighters to the announcers to frame the Irishman’s return as victorious, resurgent and reinvigorating the company. Rogan tried to keep it a little real but it’s a mandate.

Let’s see the man stack up against anyone in the top 5. He does what he did tonight and all this hyperbole is definitely warranted.

Who didn’t think Conor would beat Cowboy? Who here would actually be surprised if we’d been told in advance of watching it how the victory would come?

Good for the UFC, good on Conor. Now let’s see a real matchup. Because until that happens, it’s a reach.

There's no real matchup for him at 170. He's giving up a (bleep) ton to every fighter at 170. He'd be a massive underdog against any of the top dogs in that division.

As far as hyperbole , it's just Joe being Joe. He's the ultimate hype man for literally every fighter from Jon Jones to a no namer getting his first UFC fight. You combine an entertainer like Conor and a Joe who's probably blasted on DMT and weed and this is what you get. You know you're my guy G, but no one here is sipping any kool aid.

Last edited by jonnybravo on Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject:

Not gonna lie, was kinda wondering if Cowboy was paid to take a fall.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject:

I saw this coming from a mile away. Cowboy had been getting murdered in his last 10 fights or so.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:40 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
I saw this coming from a mile away. Cowboy had been getting murdered in his last 10 fights or so.

I don't think that's anything surprising. Almost everyone expected a Conor finish.

As for Cowboy, ee won 3 and lost 2 before dropping this one to Conor. Those losses were against Tony effing Ferguson and Gaethje.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:22 pm    Post subject:

That left he hit him with after the leg kick was just brutal..the one on the fence

The guy who beat Pettis is a beast. I didn't think it would be that fast. Pettis made one dumb mistake that gave him his back and from there it was over.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:31 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:

Cowboy was #5. Overall point is not unfounded. Cowboy would have been more competitive a couple of years ago, but McGregor is obviously in a different class. The outcome would have been the same if perhaps a little later in the fight. This was a comeback fight. No reason for him to take on a monster in his first fight after taking on two unbeaten champions and coming up short. Conor looked sharp. That's my takeaway.

I appreciate your takes my man. Please keep posting up in this piece. It’s better when you and Wolf are here.

Cowboy at #5 is almost laughable though bro. Two straight beat downs and still in the top 10 is a reach. Top 5??? This was a setup as in setting Conor up. I don’t want to put out hate on the guy. I’m actually hoping he is back. It’s great for the company, the division and us as fans. But this ain’t it.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:39 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

There's no real matchup for him at 170. He's giving up a (bleep) ton to every fighter at 170. He'd be a massive underdog against any of the top dogs in that division.

As far as hyperbole , it's just Joe being Joe. He's the ultimate hype man for literally every fighter from Jon Jones to a no namer getting his first UFC fight. You combine an entertainer like Conor and a Joe who's probably blasted on DMT and weed and this is what you get. You know you're my guy G, but no one here is sipping any kool aid.

And your my guy too brotha. Appreciate you.

I was namely addressing the takes in early response. You were not posting yet.

The fight to make is Gaethji. But Justin don’t got the juice to really sell on that next level although he’s comparable to Cowboy. Fans are gonna be calling for Gamebred. And you’re right, that’s unfair to Conor. If they set him up with Khabib/Ferguson winner? Cool. I won’t complain. Bring the pain. That’s what this whole ish is about.

Conor brings something that nobody else does or has. I’m in complete agreement. But this fight just doesn’t show that he’s “back”. His career just isn’t flatlined. He had to show out and he did. But the next fight says a ton more.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:54 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

And your my guy too brotha. Appreciate you.

I was namely addressing the takes in early response. You were not posting yet.

The fight to make is Gaethji. But Justin don’t got the juice to really sell on that next level although he’s comparable to Cowboy. Fans are gonna be calling for Gamebred. And you’re right, that’s unfair to Conor. If they set him up with Khabib/Ferguson winner? Cool. I won’t complain. Bring the pain. That’s what this whole ish is about.

Conor brings something that nobody else does or has. I’m in complete agreement. But this fight just doesn’t show that he’s “back”. His career just isn’t flatlined. He had to show out and he did. But the next fight says a ton more.

I think staying at 170 is going to be a minefield for Conor. Even if on a technical level he's better than them (I'd say the vast majority), that's just too much size to give up to guys that are at the top. Conor's fought at 145...that's a 25 pound jump. Jon Jones has cleaned out his division several times over and he hasn't had the stones yet to move to HW for a new challenge. That's not even to speak of the fact that moving up 25 pounds from 145 is much more difficult than 25 pounds at 205...just a function of %'s.

I don't know where Conor goes next tbh. Khabib probably won't give Conor the rematch. Tony almost certainly would want Conor next. Here's to rooting for Tony to win his next one!
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:10 am    Post subject:

That’s precisely what I’m talking bout. Tony shocks the world, biggest PPV event of all time and stays that way for years.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:43 am    Post subject:

btw I think Tony has a good chance against Khabib.
Tony vs Conor would be scary. I have no idea how that would turn out.
I look forward to it.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject:

Listening to Screaming A Smith try to break down the fight with Joe Rogan standing there with a bemused look on his face was better than the main event.
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject:

I feel like Cowboy lost this fight more than Conor won the fight. Cowboy just wanted a payday and got it. He let himself be hit by Conor's shoulder repeatedly, like really? And people want to take this fight serious? Blah.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject:

xxsicrokerxx wrote:
I feel like Cowboy lost this fight more than Conor won the fight. Cowboy just wanted a payday and got it. He let himself be hit by Conor's shoulder repeatedly, like really? And people want to take this fight serious? Blah.

Wasn't much of a fight....he missed a strike and ended up turtling from Conor's punches.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

Didn't need to, I've been a fan of Cowboy since before he was in the UFC and nevermind he lost his two prior fights, he CHOKES everytime he is in a bigtime fight, be it a championship fight (which he lost them all) or against Conner..

I KNEW Cowboy would lose, next stop for him should be Bellator, there he will win some fights and extend his career, like all the other ex-UFC guys before him...
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Didn't need to, I've been a fan of Cowboy since before he was in the UFC and nevermind he lost his two prior fights, he CHOKES everytime he is in a bigtime fight, be it a championship fight (which he lost them all) or against Conner..

I KNEW Cowboy would lose, next stop for him should be Bellator, there he will win some fights and extend his career, like all the other ex-UFC guys before him...

It is difficult to see this happen to him time and again. It is a mindset and one you can't look back on. If he wanted to be a champion I think he could but he just cannot use his imagination clearly enough to see himself there.. its like he thinks he doesn't deserve it? Or is it that he hates celebrity limelight status (bleep)?

Cowboy
Ben Henderson
Uriah Faber
and others were WEC Entertainment for real
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject:

I don't follow MMA so this is just an opinion. The consensus seems to be that Cerrone is shot. If that's indeed true Connor didn't prove much. Who would be a good opponent to see how much Mcgregor has left?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Who would be a good opponent to see how much Mcgregor has left?

Literally anyone else in the top 5 lightweight or top 10 welterweight. That Cerrone was still ranked top 5 after getting starched his two previous bouts says more about the UFC ranking system and its agenda than anything else.

I’m not mad at the matchup. It was the smart move. Another red panty night for the UFC and a lot of people are charged about Conor looking good. And that’s great for the company and for the fans.

Gaethji, Porier and of course Masvidal are the best matchups that wouldn’t include a title shot (which is HIGHLY debatable that he deserves after beating Cowboy) but the UFC can’t take those chances. If he loses again to Khabib or even to Ferguson (who he matches up with far better), those are both acceptable losses under the spotlight of a title fight. His legacy and shine don’t lose much luster. He can still go fight Mayweather again or Pacquiao and make another cool $100 mil and then return for more mega fights in the UFC after the competition has cleared itself out organically.

Lose to one of the 3 that I mentioned and his whole brand takes a dive. The Masvidal matchup would be particularly ugly. So even though he’s rumored to want to prove everybody wrong on that one, he’s smart enough to know better and come up with a clever angle to get that fight out of everyone’s mind. Although the Mas Star is rising too and if he starts making a fuss to call out Conor, they may have no choice because that’s the fight that would get everyone absolutely juiced.

He’s the biggest star in the company’s history so they have to be exceedingly judicious how they handle him given the lay of the land and the opportunities that can evaporate if anything went wrong.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Watched it couple times now, I think the initial flying knee connect and Cerrone never recovered
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Watched it couple times now, I think the initial flying knee connect and Cerrone never recovered

I thought it was the shoulder shots. Didn't look like Cowboy knew what to do with them. Is that a shot used often?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Listening to Screaming A Smith try to break down the fight with Joe Rogan standing there with a bemused look on his face was better than the main event.

It's doubly funny because on his podcasts, he and Brendan Schaub are always clowning on the mainstream media's takes on MMA.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:

I thought it was the shoulder shots. Didn't look like Cowboy knew what to do with them. Is that a shot used often?

Yeah, the shoulders are used pretty often. I've just never seen it land so flush and with so much force. Conor's got them wide ass shoulders.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject:

I think the fight just confirmed that Conor is a good fighter and Cowboy should retire.

It was almost a tune up fight to get Conor back out there, and now they can start making the fights everyone wants.

That being said, picking the next one is tricky AF

1. Justin Gaethje would be a great fight, but is he a big enough name?
2. Khabib would just do the same thing to him as last time
3. Tony Ferguson only makes sense if he wins, but even then I don't think McGregor could win that match.
4. Masivdal would be a huge fan favourite matchup, and that corny BMF belt could be on the line, but Gamebred would smoke him out so easily.
5. Kamaru could be an option, but he'd likely just wrestle him and it'd be boring for the casual fan.
6. Nate Diaz could be the sensible option. It's marketable and very winnable for Conor.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject:

I’m with GtR and Mo. I’m sure it was exciting (I didn’t see it live) but to me it doesn’t prove anything about Conor. Looks like cowboy was only concerned with making it into the octagon to get the show money lol.

Best move for Conor is if he can get Dana to start a 165lb division. I don’t see him beating any of the top 170ers other than maybe RDA? And if Khabib beats Tony he’ll still crush Conor again.

Y’all are right they need to pick a winnable fight for Conor or at least one that will be an “acceptable” loss.

If I were Dana I’d put Conor vs masvidal for the new 165lb division title on the Adesanya vs Romero card. If Adesanya is able to beat Romero you’d have a lot of eyes watching potentially creating another star to carry the ufc
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 487, 488, 489 ... 497, 498, 499  Next
Page 488 of 499
Jump to: