somewhat depressing seeing our castaways do well
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
3peat_pete wrote:
oh...so...depressing to see Ingram brick late game shots

His first bad game all season.. silly post.

Let him troll away, everyone needs to feel smart for a brief moment.
chickenjoy24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:04 am    Post subject:

Really happy for BI on his breakout year. 26ppg 7rpg 4apg on 48% FG, 81% FT and 42% from 3.

Also Mo Wagner, 8th in the NBA in 3pt FG% at 48%.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
3peat_pete wrote:
oh...so...depressing to see Ingram brick late game shots

His first bad game all season.. silly post.

Let him troll away, everyone needs to feel smart for a brief moment.

Is that why you troll daily?
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: somewhat depressing seeing our castaways do well

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
Judah wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
nomoreshaq wrote:
randle - 25/11
thomas bryant - 14/11/3
bonga - 9/3/2
moe wagner - 13 pts (3/4 3pt)
hart - 15/10
ingram - 22/5/5
lonzo - 8/5/5
d'lo - 21/7/3 (last year)
zubac - 8 pts in 9 min

Randle is on the Knicks who are 0-2.
Bryant, Bonga, and Wagner are on the Wizards who are 1-1.
Hart, Ingram, and Lonzo are on the Pelicans who are 0-2.
D'anglelo is on the Warriors who are 0-1.
Zubac is on the Clippers who are 2-0.

It is still early in the season but I would be missing these players more if they were leading their teams to strong records. Also, Zubac is only averaging 14 mins per game (although, in fairness, in those 14 minutes Zubac has been very good).

The Lakers are also 1-1.

That is right. If they were all leading their teams to records better than what the Lakers have, I would definitely be thinking that it was a mistake to trade them away. Right now--this early in the season--the jury is still out. This is a question that will need to be revisited after the New Year.

Which would just be silly. Even if the Lakers were 0-2 and all those other teams were 2-0 that would still be an absurd thing to think. Now if those teams had better records than the Lakers come playoff time and the LeBron-AD duo had proven itself of being a horrible pairing, then you'd be onto something. But that's not where we're at. We're two games into this. If this were a game, the opening tip hasn't even happened. Guys are warming up and stretching, if you catch my drift.

When you guys watch games, do you think the team that's losing 16-14 with 4 minutes left in the first quarter is going to lose? I don't get the logic.

Man... Throw that ish on the ground.

Update: The Lakers are 23-3 this season. My comment that I would be missing the players more if they were leading their teams to strong records seems more correct as time passes.

Randle is on the Knicks who are 5-20.
Bryant, Bonga, and Wagner are on the Wizards who are 7-16.
Hart, Ingram, and Lonzo are on the Pelicans who are 6-20.
D'anglelo is on the Warriors who are 5-21.
Zubac is on the Clippers who are 19-7.

ESPN RPM comparisons with new players (through Dec 12):
Randle: #38 PF, RPM 0.04--instead Davis #10 PF, RPM 2.44 (which may be low due to the fact the season is still young)
Bryant: #43 C, RPM -1.59
Bonga: #20 SG, RPM 1.58--instead Caruso #6 SG, RPM 3.28
Wagner:#23 SF, RPM 0.80--instead Dudley #52 SF, RPM -1.04
Hart:#30 SG, RPM 1.12--instead Green #33 SG, RPM 0.99
Ingram:#17 SF, RPM 1.69
Ball: #67 PG. RPM -0.90--instead Bradley #33 PG, RPM 1.00
Russell:#71 SG RPM -0.69--instead Daniels #62 SG, RPM -0.51
Zubac:# 8 C, RPM 2.41--instead Howard #12 C, RPM 1.82

Does anybody really believe that if all of the former players were still on the Lakers that they would be leading the team to the playoffs?

--Anonymous
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: somewhat depressing seeing our castaways do well

Annihilator wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
Judah wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
nomoreshaq wrote:
randle - 25/11
thomas bryant - 14/11/3
bonga - 9/3/2
hart - 15/10
ingram - 22/5/5
lonzo - 8/5/5
zubac - 8 pts in 9 min

It is still early in the season but I would be missing these players more if they were leading their teams to strong records. Also, Zubac is only averaging 14 mins per game (although, in fairness, in those 14 minutes Zubac has been very good).

The Lakers are also 1-1.

That is right. If they were all leading their teams to records better than what the Lakers have, I would definitely be thinking that it was a mistake to trade them away. Right now--this early in the season--the jury is still out. This is a question that will need to be revisited after the New Year.

Which would just be silly. Even if the Lakers were 0-2 and all those other teams were 2-0 that would still be an absurd thing to think. Now if those teams had better records than the Lakers come playoff time and the LeBron-AD duo had proven itself of being a horrible pairing, then you'd be onto something. But that's not where we're at. We're two games into this. If this were a game, the opening tip hasn't even happened. Guys are warming up and stretching, if you catch my drift.

When you guys watch games, do you think the team that's losing 16-14 with 4 minutes left in the first quarter is going to lose? I don't get the logic.

Update: The Lakers are 23-3 this season. My comment that I would be missing the players more if they were leading their teams to strong records seems more correct as time passes.

Randle: #38 PF, RPM 0.04--instead Davis #10 PF, RPM 2.44 (which may be low due to the fact the season is still young)

Does anybody really believe that if all of the former players were still on the Lakers that they would be leading the team to the playoffs?

don't forget the $ too, Randle-DLo-BI next year gonna cost the same as LeBron-AD
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject:

This is kinda sad

https://sports.yahoo.com/d-angelo-russell-used-long-150024485.html

D’Angelo Russell used to take long way back to Lakers bench to avoid shaking Byron Scott’s hand
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
This is kinda sad

D’Angelo Russell used to take long way back to Lakers bench to avoid shaking Byron Scott’s hand

Byron was bad all around. That was a decision made by Mitch and Jimmy. It was all about seeing out Kobes time as Laker. Never made sense for the younger players, Byron was viewed as Kobes caddy.

But that was rookie Russ. What is the excuse for his inconsistent play under Luke- and then what about Ball, he had so many years and same. I get they are point guards and take longer, but neither really took over the show in LA, sort of what a ballhandling guard needs to do in LA. Russ also had a pretty bad 3rd year for his all-star level talent in BRK. It was not until his 4th year that he finally showed his talent on a more consistent basis. Byron sucked, I was glad he was gone. Russell also played below his talent level in LA. These are both true. Russell also played inconsistent ball his 3rd year in the NBA, in BRK. Even now, years later, he shoots 34-35% from 3 and relies on that shot way too much for my liking. It can make him great when the 3 ball is working, but when it is not, uh oh. And the D, man the D has gotten worse each year in the league.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
This is kinda sad

Hiring Byron was such a bad idea. I often wonder whose idea it was. My guess is that the last name was Buss, I’m not sure which one.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
governator wrote:
This is kinda sad

Hiring Byron was such a bad idea. I often wonder whose idea it was. My guess is that the last name was Buss, I’m not sure which one.

Mitch Buss
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: somewhat depressing seeing our castaways do well

Annihilator wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
Judah wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
nomoreshaq wrote:
randle - 25/11
thomas bryant - 14/11/3
bonga - 9/3/2
hart - 15/10
ingram - 22/5/5
lonzo - 8/5/5
zubac - 8 pts in 9 min

The Lakers are also 1-1.

It's funny to me how some of you will make arguments against positions that don't exist.. all in effort to minimize the individual development of some of our former prospects.

I also think it's beyond ridiculous to indict any individual player for being on a bad team, and build some kind of narrative about them individually.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
governator wrote:
This is kinda sad

Byron was bad all around. That was a decision made by Mitch and Jimmy. It was all about seeing out Kobes time as Laker. Never made sense for the younger players, Byron was viewed as Kobes caddy.

But that was rookie Russ. What is the excuse for his inconsistent play under Luke- and then what about Ball, he had so many years and same. I get they are point guards and take longer, but neither really took over the show in LA, sort of what a ballhandling guard needs to do in LA. Russ also had a pretty bad 3rd year for his all-star level talent in BRK. It was not until his 4th year that he finally showed his talent on a more consistent basis. Byron sucked, I was glad he was gone. Russell also played below his talent level in LA. These are both true. Russell also played inconsistent ball his 3rd year in the NBA, in BRK. Even now, years later, he shoots 34-35% from 3 and relies on that shot way too much for my liking. It can make him great when the 3 ball is working, but when it is not, uh oh. And the D, man the D has gotten worse each year in the league.

That’s my biggest issue with DLo. He had a developing post game his rookie year. I haven’t seen it go any further. It’s live by the J die by the J. His D was actually fairly average last year but has regressed to Harden level this year minus the steals. I think his lack of burst to the rim is what caused him to struggle in the playoffs last year. Similar to harden imo.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
governator wrote:
This is kinda sad

That’s my biggest issue with DLo. He had a developing post game his rookie year. I haven’t seen it go any further. It’s live by the J die by the J. His D was actually fairly average last year but has regressed to Harden level this year minus the steals. I think his lack of burst to the rim is what caused him to struggle in the playoffs last year. Similar to harden imo.

I can't think of a guard in the league who posts up.. I saw a highlight of Booker doing it last game, but I'd guess it's once a game maybe.. Luke also chose not to help develop that part of his game by not calling that play...
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
governator wrote:
This is kinda sad

I can't think of a guard in the league who posts up.. I saw a highlight of Booker doing it last game, but I'd guess it's once a game maybe.. Luke also chose not to help develop that part of his game by not calling that play...

Well, DLO did it a lot here, but when he went to BK, Kenny Atkinson essentially took that out of the playbook for DLO....
L4L
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
governator wrote:
This is kinda sad

The Suns run that action for book 2-3 times per game but most of his post touches come from early seals in transition against smaller guys.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
governator wrote:
This is kinda sad

I loved Luke,.. was thrilled with the hire. But one simply can’t overlook his strange propensity forseemily holding guys back from everything they’re capable of. And just because guards don’t do it doesn’t mean they shouldn’t develop it. With bigs stretching the floor more than ever,.. playoffs slowing down,... there is space to be played with and a guard with a post game can still be a way to skew the game.

But back to your point,.. I agree Luke didn’t do a great job of developing that prt of his game, but hell we lost an entire year of development under Byron and it’s not like DLo has worked on that aspect himself. Which I guess that it’s hard to develop when you wait u too five minutes before practice to show up.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: somewhat depressing seeing our castaways do well

Annihilator wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
Judah wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
nomoreshaq wrote:
randle - 25/11
thomas bryant - 14/11/3
bonga - 9/3/2
hart - 15/10
ingram - 22/5/5
lonzo - 8/5/5
zubac - 8 pts in 9 min

The Lakers are also 1-1.

Definitely. They would have had enough time to build a chemistry.
But you probably need to have a coach like D'antoni or Kerr or Walton.
I think it would really be interesting. Idk if we could have enough cap to sign a good FA or two.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: somewhat depressing seeing our castaways do well

Annihilator wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
Judah wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
nomoreshaq wrote:
randle - 25/11
thomas bryant - 14/11/3
bonga - 9/3/2
hart - 15/10
ingram - 22/5/5
lonzo - 8/5/5
zubac - 8 pts in 9 min

The Lakers are also 1-1.

Definitely. They would have had enough time to build a chemistry.
But you probably need to have a coach like D'antoni or Kerr or Walton.
I think it would really be interesting. Idk if we could have enough cap to sign a good FA or two.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: somewhat depressing seeing our castaways do well

Annihilator wrote:

I would not be excited about that team particularly at their current salaries.

Altogether those 8 guys are making about $75 million, with a lot getting ready to come off their rookie contracts.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject:

BI+Ball+Hart
50pts, 22-50fg, 9rbs, 5-21 threes,1-2ft

AD
46pts, 15-21fg, 13rbs, 3-5 threes, 13-13ft

Close
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject:

I am more impressed with Svi and his improvement than anyone else. Would have been nice to have Svi and Alex as a backcourt. Nice role players. I thought Svi played well at times last year but he did not seem to be the shooter he has now become.

Good job, Svi.

Magic
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I am more impressed with Svi and his improvement than anyone else. Would have been nice to have Svi and Alex as a backcourt. Nice role players. I thought Svi played well at times last year but he did not seem to be the shooter he has now become.

Good job, Svi.

Magic

He looked to me like a player who could hang around this league. Mobile shooting and some defense. I didn't have him pegged for closing games out in his second year, I thought he was further away from the big time than that. Very impressive.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject:

Bonga is so young so his offense has time to come around, but he could carve out an 8-10 year career as a defensive specialist. Nice late pick scouting again.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Bonga is so young so his offense has time to come around, but he could carve out an 8-10 year career as a defensive specialist. Nice late pick scouting again.

Wrong here unfortunately. Didn't love the Bonga pick, but I understood it at the time.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:52 pm    Post subject:

D'Angelo Russell working just hard enough to be an 8-figure salary player a year is both admirable and disappointing. Brian Shaw wishes he had had DLo's career to date, but he was right that DLo didn't have the dog in him.

Crazy for a dude who clearly had to work super hard on his skill game to even be a viable NBA starter to not even try the extra two steps necessary to become a potential NBA star. Some guys are just content.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32
Page 32 of 32
Jump to: