The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1529, 1530, 1531 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Wait how are the Pelicans not worse without AD than they were with him last season?

They were 25-31 with him last season, almost a .500 team, competitive.
They are 7-23 this year.
They were 8-18 without him last year in games missed/benched due to trade demand.

So somehow, they traded for pretty good talent in Ingram, Ball, Hart. And yet they have gotten worse this season. By a lot. They were expected to be a .500 level team sort of like what AD had them when he played. Many viewed this as a fair trade, in fact sided towards the Pelicans. Yet it has been nothing like that.

Wait I just realized it's VLF making that post, my bad.

I didn’t realize that the season ended at Christmas. Of course when those young players were growing as Lakers you were nowhere to be found. We were posting here riding with the highs and lows. For 6 seasons we were trying to see the good and trying to explain the bad. Now that the team is good we see your posts about how good we are and how lacking our former young players are. No time for the team when there were growing pains?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject:

Just because I was not posting as consistently then, does not mean I was not a fan or not following. It was that suckage that makes me so excited to see the Lakers where they are now. Personal life things played into it as well and I do not enjoy sharing the personal details of my life to address why I am somewhere or not.

If any of those young players were as good as some thought, the Lakers would be winning games earlier. I would often make that argument from time to time in the various young player threads. You need to draft a franchise level player if you tank year after year otherwise you get stuck. Lakers were stuck.

It is nice that you deflected that into questioning my commitment as a fan - when all you needed to do was reply to the post I made with facts.

W-L records prove Pelicans are way better with Davis than without.
W-L records prove Lakers traded 3 rotation players for Davis and end up going from a .400 team to a .800 team. The Pels went from a .400 team to a .250 team.

Sure it is 35% of the season. Does not change the fact that the Lakers are better with AD, by a lot. And the Pels are worse by a lot, with the 3 players we sent them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Just because I was not posting as consistently then, does not mean I was not a fan or not following. It was that suckage that makes me so excited to see the Lakers where they are now. Personal life things played into it as well and I do not enjoy sharing the personal details of my life to address why I am somewhere or not.

If any of those young players were as good as some thought, the Lakers would be winning games earlier. I would often make that argument from time to time in the various young player threads. You need to draft a franchise level player if you tank year after year otherwise you get stuck. Lakers were stuck.

It is nice that you deflected that into questioning my commitment as a fan - when all you needed to do was reply to the post I made with facts.

W-L records prove Lakers traded 3 rotation players for Davis and end up going from a .400 team to a .800 team. The Pels went from a .400 team to a .250 team.

Sure it is 35% of the season. Does not change the fact that the Lakers are better with AD, by a lot. And the Pels are worse by a lot, with the 3 players we sent them.

Well,.. to be fair,.. the Lakers with AD on the floor and no Bron have not looked like a good team at all. This was once again proven tonight as we got our asses kicked by the Nuggets. But I’m sure you’re ready to excuse the loss for some reason or another.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Well,.. to be fair,.. the Lakers with AD on the floor and no Bron have not looked like a good team at all. This was once again proven tonight as we got our asses kicked by the Nuggets. But I’m sure you’re ready to excuse the loss for some reason or another.

Denver is the #2 ranked team in the West, and the #2 defense in the league. I am sorry, but taking away 40M asset in Lebron does not mean AD can not lead a team. This team is built around AD and Lebron, with role players, to win. Did Lebron not lose to Indiana without AD? Denver is better than that Indiana team.

All the numbers prove in New Orleans that the Pelicans were better with AD than without, and that he led them to a near .500 record. When AD had Jrue he was having the Pels in a .500 type of situation. Since the Lakers tradedfor him, and gave the Pels 3 rotation guys, 1 a star in the making in Ingram, the Pels even with Jrue are playing far worse basketball than with AD.

He is an elite top 5 player and a DPOTY candidate. I do not understand why Laker "fans" undermine him. I guess they missed the losing and rookie contract players a ton. 24-6 during a season where we have had injuries to Rondo, Kuzma, AD throughout the season and now LBJ is hurt as well. 1st in the West. And ppl undermine this guy, Shaking my head.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Denver is the #2 ranked team in the West, and the #2 defense in the league. I am sorry, but taking away 40M asset in Lebron does not mean AD can not lead a team. This team is built around AD and Lebron, with role players, to win. Did Lebron not lose to Indiana without AD? Denver is better than that Indiana team.

All the numbers prove in New Orleans that the Pelicans were better with AD than without, and that he led them to a near .500 record. When AD had Jrue he was having the Pels in a .500 type of situation. Since the Lakers tradedfor him, and gave the Pels 3 rotation guys, 1 a star in the making in Ingram, the Pels even with Jrue are playing far worse basketball than with AD.

He is an elite top 5 player and a DPOTY candidate. I do not understand why Laker "fans" undermine him. I guess they missed the losing and rookie contract players a ton. 24-6 during a season where we have had injuries to Rondo, Kuzma, AD throughout the season and now LBJ is hurt as well. 1st in the West. And ppl undermine this guy, Shaking my head.

Then why couldn’t 22 year old AD even make playoffs with Ryan Anderson, jrue, Tyreke and Eric Gordon? I’m not trying to dismiss AD at all. But why do OTHER laker fans think we can’t be honest in talking about our own players. You’ve certainly forgotten this with your constant love fest with Kuzma. And now AD. Davis is a phenomenal player,.. but he’s not a “lead this team to the promised land” type of player. Never has been and I’m doing ting we will ever. The numbers THIS YEAR speak for themselves.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject:

AD is a fantastic player but he isn't a player who can lead his team to a title. He is a player that someone else can lead to a title. He had good teams in NO, good enough to make the 8 seed at least, and those teams didn't make the playoffs. I've watched ever since he landed in my favorite City and he is what he is, his mindset hasn't changed. I'm glad we have him and hopefully Lebron can get him to the promised land.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
AD is a fantastic player but he isn't a player who can lead his team to a title. He is a player that someone else can lead to a title. He had good teams in NO, good enough to make the 8 seed at least, and those teams didn't make the playoffs. I've watched ever since he landed in my favorite City and he is what he is, his mindset hasn't changed. I'm glad we have him and hopefully Lebron can get him to the promised land.

This is what I’m trying to say. Terrific player,.. and as I think Yinoma said once before. He is a very strong pillar for our team, but not the main pillar like LeBron.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Lebron went lottery last year without AD and is 0-1 without him
Yet AD is only a pillar and not capable to lead?

Pre AD Lebron Lakers are lottery with injuries
Post AD Lebron Lakers are 24-6 with injuries compiling

Lakers 1-1 without AD and Lakers 0-1 without Lebron and we would beat the Warriors at home without Lebron as well.

They need both. Without AD Lebron would be leading a 7th seeded Lakers team that was gonna get bounced in the 1st round. Without LBJ AD would be leading at best a 8th seed Pelicans team.

Kuzma? I like him even less than Ingram or Ball. Of the three my favourite was Ball actually and I still think on a contender Ball would have the most value to us.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Previous 9 Games: Julius Randle

24.2 PPG
9.7 REB
2.9 AST
49% Field Goal
38% Three Point
79.6% Free Throw

Tonight
22/13/3 53% Field Goal 3/6 from Three
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

24.2 PPG
9.7 REB
2.9 AST
49% Field Goal
38% Three Point
79.6% Free Throw

Tonight
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

24.2 PPG
9.7 REB
2.9 AST
49% Field Goal
38% Three Point
79.6% Free Throw

Tonight

Don’t tell Wolf. He’ll have an excuse and throw in the fact they’re a bad team. Because as you know,.. no player can just be good AND on a losing team at the same time.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
MJST wrote:

24.2 PPG
9.7 REB
2.9 AST
49% Field Goal
38% Three Point
79.6% Free Throw

Tonight

Don’t tell Wolf. He’ll have an excuse and throw in the fact they’re a bad team. Because as you know,.. no player can just be good AND on a losing team at the same time.

yeah, essentially the "they only get good stats/play well on lottery teams!" excuse.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
MJST wrote:

24.2 PPG
9.7 REB
2.9 AST
49% Field Goal
38% Three Point
79.6% Free Throw

Tonight

yeah, essentially the "they only get good stats/play well on lottery teams!" excuse.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

24.2 PPG
9.7 REB
2.9 AST
49% Field Goal
38% Three Point
79.6% Free Throw

Tonight

Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
MJST wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
MJST wrote:

24.2 PPG
9.7 REB
2.9 AST
49% Field Goal
38% Three Point
79.6% Free Throw

Tonight

Can we please not call out others who have expressed views we disagree with preemptively? There seems to be an interest less in the idea and more in the enemy. That doesn’t end well, and I’d rather read and agree and disagree with posts, not deal with TOS violations. Happy new year guys.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:26 am    Post subject:

Those 9 game stats are nice.
What is he averaging for the season?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:

19,9, and 3. He had a bit of a rough start figuring out his place and window on a team with 100 pf’s, but seems to have found his way.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
55 wrote:

19,9, and 3. He had a bit of a rough start figuring out his place and window on a team with 100 pf’s, but seems to have found his way.

Thanks. Still nice numbers.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

The reason why I like basketball more than other sports is that it isn't as simple as plug in and play, like something like baseball (which I really enjoy, don't get me wrong).

You can't just swap players in and out and expect to see consistent results. There are way more variables at work here. Consistency, chemistry, coaching, injuries, rust (more relevant in the NBA than a lot of other sports because of the rhythm involved) etc. etc.

Anthony Davis was not the only addition to the Lakers and the only difference between the Pelicans last year and this year. To try and suggest otherwise is to dilute the argument so much.

Pelicans lost their top two scorers between last year and this. Both of which are inside threats. The guy that was supposed to be their main inside threat has yet to play a single game after getting hurt just before the season started.

Their top 2 of their top 3 3pt shooters are gone, one is in europe and the other is out with a torn achilles.

When you look at the difference in terms of statistics between this year and last, you see that the difference is offensive and not defensive. Which makes sense when you take those factors into account.

Especially when you account for the fact that the incoming players hadn't played with the rest of the Pels, and they had two rookies to get into the mix who hadn't played with anyone else. Growing pains are expected.

They've been on a 4 game winning streak now, and are expected to get Zion back so we can make better evaluations of the team/players.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject:

He looked just okay last night.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
He looked just okay last night.

He looked the same as I remembered him. One shot is a swish, the other from the same spot is 2' off.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Randle, Barrett help Knicks rally to beat Heat 124-121

https://apnews.com/01109d084ebbfec9f8d17a9bf4a8f18d
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject:

In every place but scoring, Randle is the same player as last year. Only difference is his TS% this season is 53% compared to 60% last year, the main issue being that is 3pt% has dropped from 34% to 28% while taking 1 more 3pt attempt per 36 minutes. If he cures his 3pt shot, that will make all the difference. His defense though has been just as bad as last year.

I tend to agree with those who say its fools gold though. I think, and have always thought, that on a good team, Randle's scoring numbers looks much more like Draymond Greens (12/10/4) than his current numbers (20/10/4). I think they could be pretty much the same player under the right circumstances for Randle, defense included. Just a matter of taking energy from scoring to defense, along with mentorship/leadership that ensures he prioritizing the right things... which a veteran, contending team would do for him.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject:

^He also needs a great coach to wrangle him in. I think he'd excel under Popovich.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
In every place but scoring, Randle is the same player as last year. Only difference is his TS% this season is 53% compared to 60% last year, the main issue being that is 3pt% has dropped from 34% to 28% while taking 1 more 3pt attempt per 36 minutes. If he cures his 3pt shot, that will make all the difference. His defense though has been just as bad as last year.

I tend to agree with those who say its fools gold though. I think, and have always thought, that on a good team, Randle's scoring numbers looks much more like Draymond Greens (12/10/4) than his current numbers (20/10/4). I think they could be pretty much the same player under the right circumstances for Randle, defense included. Just a matter of taking energy from scoring to defense, along with mentorship/leadership that ensures he prioritizing the right things... which a veteran, contending team would do for him.

I’d expect similar results scoring but it would be a much more consistent sample. Draymond really only had one legit year as a threat imo. 15/10/4 is absolutely doable on a winning team with some elite switching defense. He showed this his final year in La. he was able to be a decent rim protector as a backup 5 then showed how good he could be when switched into guards such as his final stop in iso versus a healthy John Wall. Randles quickness and reaction time is very strong for a 6-9 250 guy.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1529, 1530, 1531 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1530 of 1536
Jump to: