Has anyone gotten the new 16 inch Macbook Pro? (Is it worth upgrading to 32 GB RAM?)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Has anyone gotten the new 16 inch Macbook Pro? (Is it worth upgrading to 32 GB RAM?)

I currently have the 2012 Macbook Retina. Is it worth upgrading?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject:

probably not but it depends what you would be using it for
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone gotten the new 16 inch Macbook Pro? (Is it worth upgrading to 32 GB RAM?)

CandyCanes wrote:

As long as you don't tell us what you intend to do with it the answer is no, it is not worth it. That answer will probably stay that way even if you tell us what you intend to do. Mostly because for "home use" web browsing and printing recipes your 2012 model is enough. If you are a professional photographer/videographer a workstation with hand picked components will eat your MacBookPro alive - costing half the money even if you don't build it yourself. As a developer - well you want a keyboard, a real one. And Linux. So it is not worth paying money for getting a touchbar and an OS you don't need. Playing games? Just stop playing with your life...
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone gotten the new 16 inch Macbook Pro? (Is it worth upgrading to 32 GB RAM?)

cathy78 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

As long as you don't tell us what you intend to do with it the answer is no, it is not worth it. That answer will probably stay that way even if you tell us what you intend to do. Mostly because for "home use" web browsing and printing recipes your 2012 model is enough. If you are a professional photographer/videographer a workstation with hand picked components will eat your MacBookPro alive - costing half the money even if you don't build it yourself. As a developer - well you want a keyboard, a real one. And Linux. So it is not worth paying money for getting a touchbar and an OS you don't need. Playing games? Just stop playing with your life...

For some reason, my 2012 Retina frequently lags and/or stops responding even just browsing with multiple Chrome windows open.

I'm getting a PhD in political science so I need something that's able to handle large datasets in R, but not sure how much power is actually needed for that.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject:

There is no right answer for this because memory usage depends on the types of applications you use.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone gotten the new 16 inch Macbook Pro? (Is it worth upgrading to 32 GB RAM?)

CandyCanes wrote:
cathy78 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

For some reason, my 2012 Retina frequently lags and/or stops responding even just browsing with multiple Chrome windows open.

I'm getting a PhD in political science so I need something that's able to handle large datasets in R, but not sure how much power is actually needed for that.

Something like opening a bunch of tabs in an internet browser will gobble lots of memory. In your application it sounds like you would need to buy a computer with the most memory you can afford.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone gotten the new 16 inch Macbook Pro? (Is it worth upgrading to 32 GB RAM?)

CandyCanes wrote:
cathy78 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Open your app and set an average workspace..
Go to some sort of control panel* that will show you how much memory that app is currently using..
Keep main app open and then get your average browse on with multiple windows..
Check memory usage of both
*I only know PC

I use Firefox and it uses a lot of memory and cpu on older machines nowadays..

Check your budget.. If you are person who likes to buy a complete care/accidental damage then buy new.. If not.. it is just a computer.. buy a used one and some 70% isopropyl alcohol and take it home..

Then you saved a lot of money to buy some 420
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: