Greatest Lakers Teams
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShowtimeReturns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Greatest Lakers Teams

Are we witnessing a historically great team? The script is only a quarter of the way complete but so far I would say yes we are. 21-3 .875 win percentage is on pace to win 70 games although great regular season accomplishments are almost meaningless without the championship.These are my 3 greatest Laker teams and all of it is debatable and scoured to your personal favourites.
71-72 W69 L13 Champion Jerry gets a ring finally Wilt's second.
99-00 W67-L15 Champion Shaq and Kobe take the Lakers back to the top
86-87 W65-L17 Champion Magic Kareem and Worthy unleash Showtime
19-20 W ? L ? LeBron and AD the greatest duo ever?
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject:

2001 Lakers are the best despite winning less regular season games. The 15-1 playoffs record is still the best considering whom Lakers beat and how strong they were.
ShowtimeReturns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:
2001 Lakers are the best despite winning less regular season games. The 15-1 playoffs record is still the best considering whom Lakers beat and how strong they were.

Your probably right overall with that playoff dominance but that first one is just special for me.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Greatest Lakers Teams

ShowtimeReturns wrote:
Are we witnessing a historically great team? The script is only a quarter of the way complete but so far I would say yes we are. 21-3 .875 win percentage is on pace to win 70 games although great regular season accomplishments are almost meaningless without the championship.These are my 3 greatest Laker teams and all of it is debatable and scoured to your personal favourites.
71-72 W69 L13 Champion Jerry gets a ring finally Wilt's second.
99-00 W67-L15 Champion Shaq and Kobe take the Lakers back to the top
86-87 W65-L17 Champion Magic Kareem and Worthy unleash Showtime
19-20 W ? L ? LeBron and AD the greatest duo ever?

Those have been the 3 teams I have thought of as well to this point.

They look like they have that championship light switch ever since the Pelican's game and after 6 years of misery I refuse to not pick Kuz or Daniel's or KCP. The core of this squad is championship caliber...the staff if championship caliber...and the FO/Scouting is championship caliber.

Literally nothing to complain or worry about even though a bunch of people will try to find fault in a team positioning itself among the all-time historic teams.

#BannersOverBillboards
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject:

Bad juju
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:

One lucky AI shot from perfection so it's hard to argue against that but I love that the 2000 team had to overcome so much adversity in the POs and learn to dominate in that setting. It's when they became champions not knowing if they could be.

My historic teams have to factor in the RS too...just my opinion.

71-72 - Immortal Win Streak
85-86 - Complete Dominance PS to the Ring plus beat Foston
99-00 - Never seen a player do what Shaq did all year most impressive individual season in NBA history imo because the comp was so much better than Wilt's

Then 01 for the historic PO run

And I would be remiss if I didnt give props to the 89 team going for the 3 peat...undefeated until Riley when drill Sargent and had a TC before the finals for some insane reason.

#BannersOverBillboards
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Bad juju

Anti-jinx

Just some dudes talking about the game we love and the team we love the most...no one's saying we're going to finish on this level...just excited that we could.

Notice the lines 'at this point'

#BannersOverBillboards
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:

Yep
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:

One lucky AI shot from perfection so it's hard to argue against that but I love that the 2000 team had to overcome so much adversity in the POs and learn to dominate in that setting. It's when they became champions not knowing if they could be.

99-00 - Never seen a player do what Shaq did all year most impressive individual season in NBA history imo because the comp was so much better than Wilt's

And I would be remiss if I didnt give props to the 89 team going for the 3 peat...undefeated until Riley when drill Sargent and had a TC before the finals for some insane reason.

I dont know much about 70s.
85-86 was something else just like 2010 Lakers... because of the common enemy we beat
99-00 agree on unstoppable Shaq. During his interview with Kobe, Shaq admitted he was tickled because people started to doubt on his ability to win a ship despite being a freak. Kobe also came off the humiliating airballs. So, they both were on a "revenge" mission.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject:

The one that went 15-1 in the playoffs
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
The one that went 15-1 in the playoffs

Yes. 2000 was special but Mitch replacing Rice with Ho Grant created a monster.
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject:

I've been watching since 1985, and here are my best Laker teams of the last 35 years:

1. 87 Lakers--There was never a doubt
2. 20 Lakers--They've been a true joy to watch
3. 00 Lakers--Regular season was beautiful; playoffs was a grind
4. 09 Lakers--Great talent and chemistry
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:

85-86 was something else just like 2010 Lakers... because of the common enemy we beat
99-00 agree on unstoppable Shaq. During his interview with Kobe, Shaq admitted he was tickled because people started to doubt on his ability to win a ship despite being a freak. Kobe also came off the humiliating airballs. So, they both were on a "revenge" mission.

Not splitting hairs, but I think you guys are thinking of 1984-85. 85-86 was the year we got upset in the western finals by Houston and Hakeem. They whipsawed us in 5. Probably just as well, because the Lakers won a lot of games during the regular season, but something just seemed missing from the team that year.

Of course it followed the emotional breakthrough we had in the Finals in 84-85 when we finally beat the damn Celtics. The Celtics in 85-86 were easily the best team in the league that year, and if we had made it that far, it may well have been another very painful Finals loss to them.
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject:

ericp6387 wrote:
I've been watching since 1985, and here are my best Laker teams of the last 35 years:

The 09 team gets overlooked a lot. Just a fun team to watch with their chemistry and flow. They won 65 games that year.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject:

Which Lakers would be the best match for 2001 Lakers, the one that almost went 16-0 in the playoffs?
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:

Yep

They swept Three 50 win teams
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:

Pretty sure Kobe’s airballs were in his rookie year. Utah I believe
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject:

ericp6387 wrote:

If that’s a list of Favorite great Laker teams, I can dig it.
But putting this years squad above that Shaq Kobe team is premature, I would think
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject:

Obviously depends on winning the title, but yeah, this team has the look of greatness about it. The consistency of their focus on the defensive end has been particularly impressive to me.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject:

as mentioned they definitely have the ability to be historical great but everyone here knows winning title matters most.

That being said, if the Lakers were to win near 70 games, that also depends on health. And one can’t predict that so easily.

What I find really awesome about this team is not only on the court chemistry, but off the court also. You can see its a brotherhood.

For example I think the Portland game when AD might of hit his head on the chair and stayed down for a while. The whole bench came off the bench to help him. I even saw someone who had a ice pack taped to his leg run in (Rondo?). And for the pelicans they did whatever it took to get the win for AD.

This team plays for each other and in the end I just don’t see any team capable of beating them in a 7 game series because of that.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject:

I'll take 87 Lakers with 87 goatee Magic against any team in the history of the NBA.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:

It's hard to compare against eras that were so different but I go with the 72 Lakers. They won 69 games and I think they had the toughest playoff competition: They had to go past the defending champs the Bucks and then the Knicks, who had six future Hall of Famers and had won a ring two years before.

It's a tossup between the 15-1 team which was great in the playoffs but not great in the regular season and Showtime, which really benefitted from how weak the West was in those days. In the first three rounds of the playoffs, their opponents regular season records were 37-45, 42-40, and 39-43. Not sure if any ring team ever had an easiest route to the finals than they did.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:

Yep

Should have been four 50 win teams
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:

Yep

Should have been four 50 win teams

don't forget one of those teams were the Spurs with Robinson, Duncan (the win towers), Gano, Parker..the team that won 5 championships (not all with Robinson)..who is this world is capable of sweeping that Spurs team
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:

This
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: