The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1281, 1282, 1283 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
I'm surprised he even responded...even the biggest Lebron haters I know admit that if the other team doesn't want to be punked, they should play better.

The jump called out the announcers today as well

By the way, has anybody managed to get clarification on what the announcers meant when they said "playground ball"?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject:

It’s Utah. No explanation needed.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
I'm surprised he even responded...even the biggest Lebron haters I know admit that if the other team doesn't want to be punked, they should play better.

By the way, has anybody managed to get clarification on what the announcers meant when they said "playground ball"?

I took it as meaning it's bush league. Not professional.
Why? Are some trying to make more of it?
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
drae wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

That's strange … I don't see many amateur, bush league games played by people in socks
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
epak wrote:
drae wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

That's strange … I don't see many amateur, bush league games played by people in socks

Not literally.
It seemed more about saying that's not something that should be done at this level of the game. Do you think it means more than that?
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
drae wrote:
epak wrote:
drae wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Not literally.
It seemed more about saying that's not something that should be done at this level of the game. Do you think it means more than that?

Actually it's something that is done more often at this level of the game. As you go down in 'level' the more rarely you see this. You definitely don't see this kind of thing much at a street pick up game.

Which makes his analogy weird. Why would you think he's referencing unprofessional play when this sort of thing really only happens in professional levels of play?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
epak wrote:
drae wrote:
epak wrote:
drae wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Not literally.

Actually it's something that is done more often at this level of the game. As you go down in 'level' the more rarely you see this. You definitely don't see this kind of thing much at a street pick up game.

Which makes his analogy weird. Why would you think he's referencing unprofessional play when this sort of thing really only happens in professional levels of play?

I mean, I just said "not literally."

Whether the guy's concept of Lebron's "feat" being considered accurate or not is another discussion. In regards to the reason for his statement, again, to me it just seemed that the guy meant it's not something professional at this level. I took it more of an idiom (I hope that's the right word), instead of the guy literally meaning there's guys jumping around in their socks in pickups.

Perhaps if you just say what you think the guy meant, it'll be an easier discussion haha.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:

In regards to the reason for his statement, again, to me it just seemed that the guy meant it's not something professional at this level. I took it more of an idiom (I hope that's the right word), instead of the guy literally meaning there's guys jumping around in their socks in pickups.

Perhaps if you just say what you think the guy meant, it'll be an easier discussion haha.

And he would be wrong. End of story.

Either his imagery (that waltzing around the court with no shoes is done at lower levels) is incorrect and useless, or he meant something different. Which is why I asked for clarification.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
epak wrote:

In regards to the reason for his statement, again, to me it just seemed that the guy meant it's not something professional at this level. I took it more of an idiom (I hope that's the right word), instead of the guy literally meaning there's guys jumping around in their socks in pickups.

So either his imagery is incorrect and useless, or he meant something different. Which is why I asked for clarification.

That's fine. You can think he's wrong. I dont really have a feeling about it being accurate or not.

I just dont have an issue with condescending an act done in the NBA by comparing it to something that's at a lower level, i.e. G-league, college, YMCA pickups, streetball, etc. But I'm guessing I'm just a boomer.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
drae wrote:
epak wrote:

So either his imagery is incorrect and useless, or he meant something different. Which is why I asked for clarification.

That's fine. You can think he's wrong. I dont really have a feeling about it being accurate or not.

I just dont have an issue with condescending an act done in the NBA by comparing it to something that's at a lower level, i.e. G-league, college, YMCA pickups, streetball, etc. But I'm guessing I'm just a boomer.

I have no problem with him comparing it to that, however he is 100% wrong. Especially considering he compared it to "playground ball" which is the level far below NBA level, and at that level it's even rarer to be done. Streetball, for example, is often played on concrete. Please go on the court in your socks *roll eyes*

So like I said, is he wrong or did he mean something different?
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject:

You guys are hilarious.

The LeBron antics on the sideline are the kind of thing all of you would've called out and been pissed off about if he was on any team other than the Lakers.

But none of this is surprising to anyone who's followed LeBron's career.

He has a history of such sideline antics. It's almost as if he can't go 2 seconds without the focus being on him. So instead of the talk being about how the much defensively maligned Kuzma actually played good defense, it's all about LeBron's antics. Mission accomplished Taco Tuesday-style.

And to top it off, the emo 15 year old highschool girl style whiny instagram post playing victim.

And for the, "if you don't want to get clowned on then don't get blown out" crowd, I've seen plenty of blowouts without guys acting a fool on the sidelines.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/Bmu1c9cTIqiha/source.gif

epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:30 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:

Can't tell if Michael Rapaport is trolling or joking or being serious.
Either way, he's a moron. Boston loving idiot.
If Michael Rapaport and Hitler were both hanging off a cliff I'd... nvm.

(hyperbole)

Last edited by epak on Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:

The LeBron antics on the sideline are the kind of thing all of you would've called out and been pissed off about if he was on any team other than the Lakers.

I don't see the big deal myself.

He gave his shoes to a fan and was jumping around to celebrate a blowout.

Not exactly playing it cool, but it's just a game after all.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:

Only salty little (bleep) would be annoyed to be perfectly honest. Which is probably why those Jazz commentators were so anal about it (Harpring)

Nobody else cares
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Batguano wrote:

I'm old enough to remember people on this board losing their minds over Mateen Cleaves, Bibby and JR Smith doing lesser antics.

Like I said. It's only an issue for people when they're on the opposing team but perfectly fine when they're on your team.

https://j.gifs.com/M8oNNA.gif

Last edited by Batguano on Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:50 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
Batguano wrote:

Only salty little (bleep) would be annoyed to be perfectly honest. Which is probably why those Jazz commentators were so anal about it (Harpring)

Nobody else cares

See my previous post. Although I doubt you were old enough to remember any of that.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:51 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Batguano wrote:

I'm old enough to remember people on this board losing their minds over Mateen Cleaves, Bibby and JR Smith doing lesser antics.

Like I said. It's only an issue for people when they're on the opposing team but perfectly fine when they're on your team.

And the G.O.A.T
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:51 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:

Like I said. It's only an issue for people when they're on the opposing team.

If people were, they desperately need a life.

Sideline celebrations are often over the top. Deal with it or get a diary and cry in it, because it won't change because people like to whinge.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:59 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
Batguano wrote:

Sideline celebrations are often over the top. Deal with it or get a diary and cry in it, because it won't change because people like to whinge.

By the way, did you manage to get clarification on what the announcers meant when they said "playground ball"? I know it was very important to you...
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:01 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
drae wrote:
Batguano wrote:

By the way, did you manage to get clarification on what the announcers meant when they said "playground ball"? I know it was very important to you...

Subject changed, discussion ended I see.

GG
Thespiralgoeson
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: An outsider's perspective here.

Mamba81 wrote:
Thespiralgoeson wrote:
Hello all. Let me introduce myself by explaining that I'm a bit of an oddball- I am not really a Laker fan. I'm from the Dallas-Fort Worth area and I've been a die-hard Mavericks fan my whole life. In fact, not only am I not really a Laker fan, but I've actually hated the Lakers with a passion for as long as I can remember. HOWEVER, like millions of other NBA fans who simply appreciate greatness no matter what jersey it comes in, I absolutely love Lebron. Lebron kept my love of the NBA alive while my beloved Mavericks were in the wilderness. I love Lebron so much he's made me root for the Lakers. The man has actually made me a casual Laker-fan, and that's quite an amazing accomplishment. (And now that I'm a sort of duel Mavs/Lakers fan, the love-fest between Lebron and Luka is a hell of a lot of fun for me.)

With that out of the way, I want to share this non-Laker homer observation, and see what some Laker fans think.

I've watched quite a bit of the Lakers this season, and so far what I've seen has confirmed what I felt from the moment Lebron showed up there- Anthony Davis is not only the best teammate Lebron has ever had, but he's the best teammate Lebron could have ever hoped for. AD is the teammate Lebron has needed, and has probably dreamed of his entire career. He may have won two titles with Wade and one with Kyrie, and he very well not win any with AD, but still, AD is the perfect player to maximize Lebron's abilities at this late stage of his career.

This is one of the most fascinating things to me about Lebron's career. He has always been more Magic than Michael. Lebron has always been more comfortable as a facilitator first, scorer second. However until this, his 17th year in the league, he has never had the right teammates. As phenomenally talented as Wade and Kyrie were, and as much success as Lebron had with them, they were both ball dominant guards. And as much as those guys could score, Lebron still always had to be the primary scorer and first option. The perfect teammate for Lebron has always been a super athletic big man who can shoot from anywhere and dominate off the pick and roll. Isn't it telling that Lebron is about to lead the league in assists for the first time in his career, at age 35?

AD is the guy I'm sure he hoped Kyrie would be- the guy who can carry Lebron into his twilight years. The Duncan to his Robinson. Or even... the Magic to his Kareem?

People can hate Lebron all they want. You can call him a lot of things, but the one thing you cannot call him is dumb. The dude is strategic AF. He knows what the hell he's doing. I have no doubt this is what he planned all along. He had this sh*t all mapped out in his head at least a year in advance. He knew when he went to LA that he would probably have to sacrifice a year of his career, but that it would pay off big time. He knew AD was the one guy who could carry him further than anyone else, and he knew he could get him. For all last year, the talking heads wrote him off, talked of him being washed up, and how horrible his start was with the Lakers. A few short months later, his team has the best record in the league, and he's one of four leading MVP candidates. He's having the last laugh yet again... He knew what the hell he was doing.

bruh not gonna lie for how long this post was i thought you would be saying something lol

Okay??? Not sure if I should be offended by that or not, but whatever. It's telling either way. If Laker fans consider my words to be stating the obvious, then it shows that you actually have to watch Lebron and AD play together at least to understand how well they fit each other, because anytime I say to non-Laker fans that AD is the best teammate Lebron has ever had, they get outraged at the suggestion that he's better than Wade.
Mamba81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:28 am    Post subject:

as a laker fan lebron dancing didnt seem like a big deal to me but tbh if somebody did that while blowing us out at staples id be big mad!! i think its a thin line in the sport when it comes to pride and losing. always has been a sensitive topic in terms of winning with class. this is something that should prolly be avoided tbh!!
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:31 am    Post subject:

Mamba81 wrote:
as a laker fan lebron dancing didnt seem like a big deal to me but tbh if somebody did that while blowing us out at staples id be big mad!! i think its a thin line in the sport when it comes to pride and losing. always has been a sensitive topic in terms of winning with class. this is something that should prolly be avoided tbh!!

Incentive for the team not to get blown out at Staples

Also ... LMAO Lebron chucked his warm up shirt at a Jazz player to deal with

https://imgur.com/a/BCyZ9zh#8iQLjd2

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/lakers/comments/e6tgj5/team_chemistry_is_everythingcheck_these_guys_out/
Mamba81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:36 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
Mamba81 wrote:

Incentive for the team not to get blown out at Staples

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/lakers/comments/e6tgj5/team_chemistry_is_everythingcheck_these_guys_out/

lol!!
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:49 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:

Haha good stuff!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1281, 1282, 1283 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next
Page 1282 of 2079
Jump to: