View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject:

Not a rumor, just ESPN throwing out trade ideas:

Quote:
One blockbuster move for all 30 MLB teams

1) Los Angeles Dodgers - Cleveland Indians trade SS Francisco Lindor to the Los Angeles Dodgers for SS Chris Taylor, C Keibert Ruiz, RHP Josiah Gray and OF DJ Peters

We couldn't get Betts to the Dodgers, but it's a little easier to get Lindor there because he has two years of team control and ... wait, don't the Dodgers already have Corey Seager to play shortstop? I know, this deal may not make sense at first glance, but the Dodgers are one of the few teams with the prospect wealth to deal for Lindor

Here's what the Dodgers do: play Lindor at shortstop, Seager at third base, rookie stud Gavin Lux at second base and Max Muncy at first base (Cody Bellinger moves full time to the outfield). Justin Turner, in the final season of his contract, plays some third, second and first. Plenty of starts for everybody:

Lindor: 145 starts

Seager: 140 starts

Lux: 120 starts

Muncy: 130 starts

Turner: 113 starts

Everyone stays fresh, and when the inevitable injury crops up, you have plenty of flexibility. More importantly, you add a switch-hitter to the lefty-heavy Dodgers lineup, and Lindor's energy and enthusiasm adds a new dimension that the Dodgers could use in October. The Indians get Taylor as a replacement for Lindor, plus two of the Dodgers' top five prospects in Ruiz and Gray. Peters is a wild card as an athletic, power-hitting, strikeout-prone outfielder, but he's worth the roll of the dice.

2) Boston Red Sox trade RF Mookie Betts and RHP Nathan Eovaldi to the St. Louis Cardinals for IF/OF Tommy Edman, OF Randy Arozarena, 1B/RF Jose Martinez and LHP Brett Cecil

3) Texas Rangers sign 3B Anthony Rendon

4) San Diego Padres sign RHP Stephen Strasburg

5) Washington Nationals sign RHP Gerrit Cole

6) Houston Astros - In a three-team blockbuster, the Houston Astros acquire C Willson Contreras from the Chicago Cubs and LHP Amir Garrett from the Cincinnati Reds; the Reds acquire 3B/OF Kris Bryant from the Cubs and RHP Josh James from the Astros; the Cubs acquire RHP Forrest Whitley and 3B Abraham Toro from the Astros and LHP Nick Lodolo and RHP Tony Santillan from the Reds

7) Los Angeles Angels sign RHP Zack Wheeler and LHP Hyun-Jin Ryu

8) Pittsburgh Pirates trade OF Starling Marte, RHP Chris Archer and RHP Keone Kela to the New York Mets for 1B/LF Dominic Smith, LHP David Peterson and RHP Stephen Nogosek

9) Kansas City Royals trade OF Jorge Soler to the Atlanta Braves for OF Ender Inciarte, RHP Kyle Wright and C Alex Jackson

10) Philadelphia Phillies sign 3B Josh Donaldson

11) Arizona Diamondbacks trade LHP Robbie Ray to the New York Yankees for OF Clint Frazier

12) Detroit Tigers trade LHP Matthew Boyd and RHP Buck Farmer to the Minnesota Twins for OF Trevor Larnach, LHP Lewis Thorpe and RHP Zack Littell

13) Chicago White Sox sign OFs Marcell Ozuna and Nicholas Castellanos

14) Baltimore Orioles trade OF Trey Mancini to the Oakland Athletics for LHP A.J. Puk and IF Franklin Barreto

15) Toronto Blue Jays trade RHP Ken Giles to the Rockies for RHP Tommy Doyle, RHP Ryan Castellani and RHP Bryan Shaw

16) San Francisco Giants re-sign LHP Madison Bumgarner

17) Seattle Mariners - In a four-team deal, the Mariners trade C Omar Narvaez to the Brewers and RHP Joey Gerber to the Marlins; the Brewers trade LHP Aaron Ashby to the Marlins; the Marlins trade OF Connor Scott to the Rays; and the Rays trade RHP Shane Baz to the Mariners

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28211999/one-blockbuster-move-all-30-mlb-teams
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject:

^
Personally, I find that trade package for Lindor to be light for the Indians. If they move Lindor, they are going to want Seager back at a minimum.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
Personally, I find that trade package for Lindor to be light for the Indians. If they move Lindor, they are going to want Seager back at a minimum.

Yeah, it also depends on who we're bidding against as well as how motivated are the Indians to deal Lindor.

Lindor only makes sense for a contending team and most contending teams have a SS already.

Red Sox - Bogaerts
Dodgers - Seager
Colorado - Story
A's - Simien
Minny - Polanco
Cubs - Baez
Arizona - Nick Ahmed
Padres - Fernando Tatis Jr.
Rays - Willy Adames / Wander Franco
Houston - Correa
Washington - Trea Turner
Angels - Simmons
Phila - Jean Segura
Yankees - ??
Atlanta - Dansby Swanson
Brewers - Acacia???
White Sox - Tim Anderson
Blue Jays - Bo Bichette
Mets - Amed Rosario

I don't know who's actually in the market to pay a high price for Lindor. Which teams will aggressively be trying to upgrade at the SS position right now?

This is like the golden age for SSs. So much talent around the league.

We can probably count out small market teams and teams that won't be contending within the next 2 years.

The Indians might find the trade market for Lindor to be surprisingly thin.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject:

^
He's a high-end talent and teams often find ways to fit that onto their rosters. I mean, the White Sox have no 2B solution to speak of, so let's say they wanted to get Lindor, couldn't they just move Anderson to the keystone? Also, the Reds are trying to contend this year, and it's not like Freddy Galvis is a must-hold at SS.

Your point is a good one, though. I firmly believe that the Dodgers are in the best position to make a deal for Lindor, easily, since we have all of the following: a young all-Star SS replacement to give them back in Seager, quality prospects abound, and quality major league depth pieces like Taylor, Kike, Stripling, Joc, etc.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
He's a high-end talent and teams often find ways to fit that onto their rosters. I mean, the White Sox have no 2B solution to speak of, so let's say they wanted to get Lindor, couldn't they just move Anderson to the keystone? Also, the Reds are trying to contend this year, and it's not like Freddy Galvis is a must-hold at SS.

Your point is a good one, though. I firmly believe that the Dodgers are in the best position to make a deal for Lindor, easily, since we have all of the following: a young all-Star SS replacement to give them back in Seager, quality prospects abound, and quality major league depth pieces like Taylor, Kike, Stripling, Joc, etc.

Yeah, every team wants him. But to pay the high price that the Indians are going to want, they'd have to convince themselves that they NEED him.

Maybe the Dodgers feel that they NEED him right now because he would put us over the top and be that missing piece.

My thinking in compiling the list is that, if a team doesn't feel they NEED him, they'd have a lower walking away point.

Yes, the White Sox could go after him, no doubt. But, theoretically, they'd have to outbid the Dodgers offer of Gray, Ruiz and DJ Peters. They'd have to convince themselves that it's better to get him now rather than wait two years and get him via free agency. They also have to convince themselves that he won't leave in 2 years. They also have to compare acquiring Lindor vs. acquiring Mookie Betts. Betts is going to be cheaper (in assets required) because he only has 1 year left. He might fit in better with them because they don't have to move Tim Anderson off of SS. So if I were them, these are all the alternative options I'd consider.

And the same thing with the Reds. Can they afford both Votto and Lindor in a couple of years? I don't know what their financial situation is.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject:

^
I don't think any team that acquires Lindor can assume that they will be able to retain him beyond the two years that he has remaining of team control. You're getting him hoping that he can help you win a championship, and you have two bites at the apple with him. And with Betts, you only get one bite at that apple. For that reason, I can't see the White Sox trading for him. Yeah, maybe if everything went perfectly for them with Betts, they could contend this year, but it's still not likely. They aren't there yet. So it wouldn't make sense for them to give up meaningful assets for one year of Betts. To me, only true contenders will have interest in Betts. As for Lindor and the Dodgers, the biggest obstacle to a deal might actually be that the Indians could be hesitant to move him. I think they should move him, but they may take him into the season and if they are doing really well, maybe they just put off dealing him until he's an expiring contract next season, although that would severely diminish the return they get for him.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
I don't think any team that acquires Lindor can assume that they will be able to retain him beyond the two years that he has remaining of team control. You're getting him hoping that he can help you win a championship, and you have two bites at the apple with him.

Agreed, and that's why I think the Indians might find the trade market for Lindor to be thin.

If we look at the teams that are (and could be) realistic title contenders within the next 2 years, I think the list is shortened to the following teams:

Cubs - Baez
Red Sox - Bogaerts
Astros - Correa
Minny - Polanco
St Louis - De Yong
Washington - Trea Turner
Tampa Bay - Willy Adames / Wander Franco
A's - Simien
Angels - Simmons
Arizona - Nick Amed

Dodgers - Seager
Yankees - ??

Mets - Amed Rosario
Phillies - Jean Segura
Braves - Dansby Swanson

These were pretty much all the teams that were over .500 last year. Any other teams are just convincing themselves that they will make the leap from under .500 to title contenders overnight.

What I'm saying is, if the Indians do decide to trade him, I don't think there's going to be a bidding war for his services. I could be wrong. It seems most contenders are already strong/set at the SS position. If I was to look at the above list, the teams I can see that might have interest in him are:

Dodgers
Yankees
Mets
Phillies
Braves

Here's an article predicting 4 teams that might have interest in Lindor (Dodgers, Yankees, Reds, Phillies). https://www.mlb.com/news/francisco-lindor-trade-scenarios

The article doubts that Phillies have enough prospects to get Lindor. The Reds do have the prospects but they might not be good enough to contend for a title within the next 2 years.

The Yankees' biggest need is starting pitching more than a SS.

Quote:
With New York’s focus primarily on starting pitching this offseason, it’s unlikely that Lindor would be at the top of the Yanks’ priority list, but it’d be surprising if they didn’t at least call.

The Indians need a replacement for Jason Kipnis at second base. José Ramírez will either stay at third or move to second, depending on what the Tribe does this offseason.

The Yankees currently have an extra third baseman in Miguel Andújar, who missed nearly all of 2019 with a shoulder injury that required season-ending surgery in May. And the Indians want to get Jones at third base as soon as possible (after he gets some time in Triple-A).

That would mean Andújar would only be needed temporarily. The Yankees have recently thrown around the idea of moving Andújar to the outfield, which -- if such a position switch were a viable option -- could make the Indians more interested in such a deal.

Two major problems still remain: The Yankees may not have much else that will satisfy the Indians’ needs, and the Tribe may think twice about sending their All-Star shortstop to a perennial AL contender.

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2019/11/mlb-rumors-why-yankees-indians-francisco-lindor-trade-makes-sense.html
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Sources: Yankees make signing righty Gerrit Cole top offseason priority

The New York Yankees have made signing right-hander Gerrit Cole their clear offseason priority and have ownership-level approval to offer him a record-setting deal, sources familiar with their plans told ESPN.

The Yankees' fondness for the 29-year-old Cole, whose fantastic 2019 season with the Houston Astros set him up to smash David Price's record contract for a pitcher of $217 million, was only reinforced during a meeting with him earlier this week, sources said.

New York and the Los Angeles Angels, a team similarly smitten with Cole and in even greater need of pitching than the Yankees, are preparing for a bidding war that executives expect will reach well beyond $250 million, according to sources.

The Los Angeles Dodgers' interest in Cole is acute as well, though they are also considering bids for right-hander Stephen Strasburg and third baseman Anthony Rendon, sources said.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28233222/sources-yankees-make-signing-righty-gerrit-cole-top-offseason-priority

Yeah, count us out of the Cole sweepstakes then. We simply don't get into bidding wars.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject:

^
I agree that the Yankees would have interest and would sniff around, and they could play Torres at 2B or SS.

The Astros would be an interesting one, as any interest in Lindor would be a pretty strong indication that they have serious questions about Correa's back health long-term (which would mean that if the Astros were trying to send back Correa in the Lindor deal, that Cleveland should think long and hard about that).

The Reds do have the high-end prospects that could get a deal done, but I agree with you that it might be foolish of them to trade the likes of Senzel/Greene/Trammell since they might be fringe contenders this season. (But their owner is really sick of losing, so you never know.)

Andrelton Simmons is in the final year of his deal with the Angels, so that's not a huge obstacle, but I think the far greater obstacle to a deal would be that the Angels really just got back to having a decent farm system, and they are probably planning on Jo Adell being a starter for them. Do they really want to move Adell, Canning, etc? I highly doubt that. Now, if moving Simmons and Brandon Marsh/Jahmai Jones and/or Canning could get it done (if they signed Cole, let's say, lessening the need for Canning next season), maybe that at least interests the Indians, I don't know.

The Phillies could easily move Segura to second base, where he's played before, especially since they now have an opening in the wake of non-tendering Cesar Hernandez. That said, I don't know that they have the type of young assets that could get a deal done.

The Cubs could easily move Baez to second base, a position he's played before, but I don't know what they have to trade other than Kris Bryant and Baez himself. Bryant is on the same arbitration/team control schedule as Lindor is, for what it's worth.

St. Louis could trade DeJong as part of a Lindor deal, and with DeJong on a long-term deal that is team-friendly, I wonder if a package of DeJong and at least one of their promising outfielders could pique Cleveland's interest.

Lastly, I don't see why Atlanta has to be committed to Swanson, who is clearly not as good as Lindor. Swanson has 3 years of team control remaining, so perhaps a package of Swanson plus any number of the Braves' highly-touted prospects could get a deal done.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Lastly, I don't see why Atlanta has to be committed to Swanson, who is clearly not as good as Lindor. Swanson has 3 years of team control remaining, so perhaps a package of Swanson plus any number of the Braves' highly-touted prospects could get a deal done.

Yeah, it's not about being committed to Swanson. It's about how ok they are with Swanson's production at his price value.

It's about figuring out if they want to get into a bidding war for Lindor or if they have a low walkaway point.

For years, we've had a hole at 2nd base. But, we weren't willing to get into a bidding war to upgrade at the position. We were willing to roll with Kike and whatever. We did try to acquire Dozier but that price was too high so we settled on Forsythe. That's all I'm saying. I don't know if teams will get into a bidding war for Lindor like the Indians think will happen.

Or when we had a need for relievers last yr but we didn't want to get into a bidding war for an elite reliever so we rolled with what we had. Or when we had a major need for a catcher last year but we didn't want to get into a bidding war for JT Realmuto. The Marlins thought there was going to be a bigger bidding war for him than what actually transpired.

So it's not about how committed a team is to a player. It's more about figuring out how motivated they are to upgrade that position vs just rolling with what they currently have.

If not, then the package proposed by the Dodgers of Ruiz and Gray and Peters might just be the best out there. That's all I'm saying.
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Bellinger, rf
Turner, 1b
Rendon, 3b
Muncy, 2b
Seager/Lux, ss
Verdugo, cf
Taylor, lf
Smith, c

As of today 12/09, Joc, Kike, and AJ appear on the block hopefully for a 4th or 5th starter or set up man.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject:

I read today that the Dodgers were likely not interested in Lindor. I wonder if Rendon is going to be a smokescreen, and Bryant is the real target?
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I read today that the Dodgers were likely not interested in Lindor. I wonder if Rendon is going to be a smokescreen, and Bryant is the real target?

Yeah damn Indians getting cold feet may keep Lindor around another year and trade him next winter.

Between us and Texas for Rendon's services...Cole to Yanks if can clear some salary and Betts to Red/White Sox.

Interesting if Rendon, 30 next year is better value than Machado or Arenado.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Yeah damn Indians getting cold feet may keep Lindor around another year and trade him next winter.

Between us and Texas for Rendon's services...Cole to Yanks if can clear some salary and Betts to Red/White Sox.

Interesting if Rendon, 30 next year is better value than Machado or Arenado.

Boston will be able to keep Betts if they can clear Price off the books and surprisingly there seem to be a few teams sniffing around. David Price would be the cautionary tale about giving big money long deals to pitchers. So much can go wrong.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject:

The Indians could be signaling that they don't want to move Lindor as a leverage ploy. We'll see. If they are going to move him, they should move him now. His value will drop greatly if they wait until the deadline, and then it drops precipitously if they wait until the 2020 offseason, just like what Boston is seeing with Betts now, since he's a rental. But I suppose it's not like they HAVE to move him, as they legitimately have postseason aspirations. But at the same time, a team like that always has to be wary of its budget.

The Dodgers' interest in Rendon does appear real. That could start a chain reaction, since one of Turner/Muncy/Seager/Lux would not be starting. (They would either have to put Lux back in the minors, which seems like a total waste since he has nothing left to prove there, or trade someone.) It looks like Texas and the Dodgers are most connected to Rendon. I've seen Donaldson connected to the Braves, Rangers, and Dodgers, though you've heard less smoke about Donaldson to the Dodgers since it was reported that he might land a 4th year.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
The Indians could be signaling that they don't want to move Lindor as a leverage ploy. We'll see. If they are going to move him, they should move him now. His value will drop greatly if they wait until the deadline, and then it drops precipitously if they wait until the 2020 offseason, just like what Boston is seeing with Betts now, since he's a rental. But I suppose it's not like they HAVE to move him, as they legitimately have postseason aspirations. But at the same time, a team like that always has to be wary of its budget.

The Dodgers' interest in Rendon does appear real. That could start a chain reaction, since one of Turner/Muncy/Seager/Lux would not be starting. (They would either have to put Lux back in the minors, which seems like a total waste since he has nothing left to prove there, or trade someone.) It looks like Texas and the Dodgers are most connected to Rendon. I've seen Donaldson connected to the Braves, Rangers, and Dodgers, though you've heard less smoke about Donaldson to the Dodgers since it was reported that he might land a 4th year.

the blurb I read on the Athletic suggested that the Dodgers feel Seager is as good as Lindor when healthy. They provided a few metrics that suggested he could be if he returns to pre injury track this year. The reason Bryant sticks out to me is it kind of fits your GM's track record and team construction. He has not been giving out massive contracts to FA's that will have downside on the backend....obtaining Bryant for a year or two before having to make that decision would fit his M.O. Also, Bryant like Bellinger and other Dodgers players is extremely versatile. He can play 3rd base or 1st base.....or he can play either corner OF position...heck, he can even play CF in a pinch. He is a little younger, and from the outside appears to be a better fit.....short term and long term.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Which stars are on the Dodgers' winter meetings shopping list?

2. Starting pitching
Options in free agency: RHP Gerrit Cole, LHP Hyun-Jin Ryu
Fits via trade: RHP Corey Kluber, RHP Noah Syndergaard

Four spots in the Dodgers' rotation are basically locked up with Walker Buehler, Clayton Kershaw, Julio Urias and Maeda. May, Tony Gonsolin, Ross Stripling, Dennis Santana and Caleb Ferguson are currently vying for the last slot. The Dodgers' depth here is impressive, even with Ryu and Rich Hill becoming free agents this offseason.

But this is a crucial question: Can the Dodgers win a championship if this version of Kershaw -- still considerably effective over a six-month regular season but increasingly more vulnerable in October as his stuff diminishes -- is their No. 2 starter? They would feel a lot better if they could slot Cole in at the top, but Friedman's track record suggests that a seven- or eight-year contract at a record-setting price is out of the question. That's what makes the availability of guys such as Kluber and Syndergaard on the trade market so intriguing. (Ryu as a free-agent fallback makes sense too.)

4. Middle infield
Fits via trade: SS Francisco Lindor, SS Trevor Story, 2B Whit Merrifield

Besides Joc Pederson, who is heading into his final season before free agency, it seems as if Seager is the most likely to be traded. But moving him to third base, the position scouts once projected for him long term, might also be an option. That's why Lindor has been linked to the Dodgers since the beginning of this offseason. Lindor is a .284/.346/.495 hitter the past four years, with 118 home runs, 81 stolen bases and 23.2 FanGraphs wins above replacement, fifth most in the majors. But the Cleveland Indians might be more inclined to hang on to him until July. Merrifield, a .298/.348/.454 hitter since 2017, is more likely to be moved and would certainly help. His presence would probably make the Dodgers more willing to part with Lux, whom they have been hesitant to trade.

5. Outfield
Fits via trade: RF Mookie Betts

If the season began today, the Dodgers would probably play Cody Bellinger in center and Alex Verdugo in right, with Joc Pederson starting against righties -- in other words, most of the time -- in left field. That would make A.J. Pollock, signed to a $55 million contract less than 11 months earlier, a platoon player. And it would leave Chris Taylor as a utility guy who plays only sparingly.

The Dodgers would be better suited to extract from their outfield depth to free up some playing time, like they did last offseason. Adding someone else is almost unthinkable -- unless it's a superstar with a magnetic personality who would instantly make them a powerhouse, like, say, Mookie Betts.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28263357/which-stars-dodgers-winter-meetings-shopping-list
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject:

You think we get Rendon and Cole?
If we get Cole, say bye to Ryu.
If we get Rendon, who on the infield is gone?
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:

not gonna happen on either account. have we learned enough already from the Friedman regime? they take pleasure of bargain hunting ex-all stars came off injuries than actually spend like a big market team.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Bribing a team to take Kenley while adding a closer have to be #1 on the list.

I can go either way on trading Seager, re-signing Ryu vs. Cole, Rendon, etc..
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
epak wrote:

not gonna happen on either account. have we learned enough already from the Friedman regime? they take pleasure of bargain hunting ex-all stars came off injuries than actually spend like a big market team.

Quote:
Jorge Castillo
@jorgecastillo

The Dodgers, still in on Gerrit Cole and Anthony Rendon, have met with Scott Boras, their agent, at the winter meetings and are scheduled to meet with him again today, per source. The Angels also have a meeting scheduled today.

Not sure why you say it's not gonna happen.
Unless they get outbid by NY or the Rangers by a ridiculous amount, I can see one or both happening.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:

Unless they get outbid by NY or the Rangers by a ridiculous amount, I can see one or both happening.

Dodgers have not signed a big time free agent with Friedman in office. They've lost every bidding war they've ever been involved in.

They lost Greinke to the DBacks
They lost on the bidding war for Kenley Jansen (he had to take less to stay with the Dodgers)
They lost out on Bryce Harper

If the Dodgers sign any big time free agent this offseason, it'll be because that free agent decided to take less to play for the Dodgers.

The same thing could be said of Ryu. If Ryu wants to remain with the Dodgers, he'll have to take less than what other teams are offering. Dodgers just don't win bidding wars.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
epak wrote:

Dodgers have not signed a big time free agent with Friedman in office. They've lost every bidding war they've ever been involved in.

They lost on the bidding war for Kenley Jansen (he had to take less to stay with the Dodgers)

If the Dodgers sign any big time free agent this offseason, it'll be because that free agent decided to take less to play for the Dodgers.

The same thing could be said of Ryu. If Ryu wants to remain with the Dodgers, he'll have to take less than what other teams are offering. Dodgers just don't win bidding wars.

Note: SGV's stance is that the Dodgers will only bargain hunt ex-all stars coming off injuries.

Your take is that they wont win a bidding war, unless said player takes less to come here. Note your take is different from his, which is why I guess you snipped the quote.

Like I said. If some other team overpays for these guys, obviously I dont see us trying to match. IMO it's foolish to overpay. After the 2 WS losses and the season being cut short last year, I see the dodgers extending themselves more than they have in the past in terms of paying for a star.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
epak wrote:

Note: SGV's stance is that the Dodgers will only bargain hunt ex-all stars coming off injuries.

Your take is that they wont win a bidding war, unless said player takes less to come here. Note your take is different from his, which is why I guess you snipped the quote.

Like I said. If some other team overpays for these guys, obviously I dont see us trying to match. IMO it's foolish to overpay. After the 2 WS losses and the season being cut short last year, I see the dodgers extending themselves more than they have in the past in terms of paying for a star.

i really think Friedman will do throw in those obligatory offers knowing fully well they'll be outbid, then he can say to the fanbase see i've tried it, they went for the big money. deep down he still has that money ball small market mentality comes to free agency.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
epak wrote:

Yeah, at the end of the day, it's a prediction of what will and won't happen.

If you want to differentiate between the predictions, so be it.

But at the end of the day, their track record is their track record. They don't sign big time free agents. They go for 2nd tier free agents.

Example - last yr we chased Harper for how long? We ended up with AJ Pollock.

That's just how this regime has rolled and until they prove otherwise, why predict anything different?

And why even add this:

Quote:

When has a big name free agent taken less to go to a new team? Can you name one in the history of free agency?

Seems like every single big name free agent has either: taken the biggest offer on the market to go to a new team, or re-signed with his former team on a hometown discount.

So there's just no reason for Cole or Rendon to give us a hometown discount. And we never ever win bidding wars. So, it's hard to predict that we'll end up signing either. If we do, it'd be a surprise and it'd be a first.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 218, 219, 220 ... 246, 247, 248  Next
Page 219 of 248
Jump to: