This happened in 2014.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^^

This happened in 2014.

First clue was in the opening sentence, "San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick" . . .
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Kaepernicks representatives released a statement today... it’s almost like he feels he has a right to play in the NFL.

Move on, pal.

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1182395272141430784?s=21
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Kaepernicks representatives released a statement today... it’s almost like he feels he has a right to play in the NFL.

Move on, pal.

Colin Kaepernick is a professional athlete that has lead his team to the Super Bowl. A civil rights activist. Started a movement. Actively helping and speaking up for the oppressed. Sacrificed a career. I don't know what you do in your life or what you've accomplished, but perhaps it's time for you to move on and maybe accomplish a tenth of what he has in his life. Or at least try. Respect is given even in just attempt. None is garnered sitting around on a computer clicking about on other people's lives.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Move on, pal.

I'm not sure why they decided to stir the pot right now. Posting something on Twitter does nothing to advance the ball as far as getting Kaepernick a job in the NFL. I guess someone could give him a shot some day, but I wouldn't expect it to happen in the middle of the season. What team would want that sort of distraction at mid-season? Maybe the Dolphins, I guess. I would add the Redskins, but it would be insane to bring Kaepernick into close proximity with the Trumpster.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Move on, pal.

I'm not sure why they decided to stir the pot right now. Posting something on Twitter does nothing to advance the ball as far as getting Kaepernick a job in the NFL. I guess someone could give him a shot some day, but I wouldn't expect it to happen in the middle of the season. What team would want that sort of distraction at mid-season? Maybe the Dolphins, I guess. I would add the Redskins, but it would be insane to bring Kaepernick into close proximity with the Trumpster.

I’d imagine the Dolphins would rather see what they have in Rosen. And the Redskins, Haskins. Kaep is 32. There just isn’t much upside here.

If a team felt he could lead them to a Super Bowl, I just don’t think teams are so prideful they’d pass that chance up. They’ve signed other “trouble makers” in the past when the upside was there.

My guess? He’s short on money, and thats why he is reinserting himself into the picture.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/1030169476552114177
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:

The devil is in the details eh? Why was it rejected?
Maybe it's because it's _way_ below the salary of someone who took their took to the Superbowl?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

Maybe it's because it's _way_ below the salary of someone who took their took to the Superbowl?

Pretty cheesy to berate the NFL claiming the placed a hiring freeze on you, and then reject an offer because the money wasn't enough for you (if that is what happened).
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

He led his team out of the playoffs the year after that season and to a 2-14 record after that.

Did you forget that part or leave it out on purpose?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject:

Just to be clear here: Elway made that comment in 2018, and he was referring to an offer in 2016. It pains me to give Kaepernick the benefit of the doubt, but I'll do it anyway. He probably valued himself a lot higher in 2016 than he would today. This is not unreasonable.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Just to be clear here: Elway made that comment in 2018, and he was referring to an offer in 2016. It pains me to give Kaepernick the benefit of the doubt, but I'll do it anyway. He probably valued himself a lot higher in 2016 than he would today. This is not unreasonable.

There’s no doubt. He’s probably short on money or something.

It’s interesting he takes issue with a sort of .. form of protest. Hmmmm.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Makes sense.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject:

3,357 - The number of Americans killed by police gunfire since Kaepernick started his protest.

378 - The number of Black Americans killed by police gunfire during the 1st year of Kaepernicks protest.

155 - The number of Black Americans killed by police gunfire in the 2nd year after Kaepernicks protest.

52 = Number of Officers feloniously killed 2016

47 = Number of Officers feloniously killed 2017

51 = Number of Officers feloniously killed 2018

So while the rate of felonious on duty deaths of Officers has remained steady, the rate of Black Americans killed by Police gunfire has dropped significantly. So what's changed? Clearly the fear of ending up on the front pages of newspapers across the country has seen Officers exercise considerably more restraint when it comes to handling the duties of their job than was the case when they had almost no fear of prosecution for killing. Over 200 families a year owe Colin a debt of real gratitude as without the focus, Officers would have continued killing with impunity. That fact they've cut back on the killing as much as they have, without the requisite massive increase in Officer deaths that was floated when this all started, proves that they had not been exercising reasonable restraint. When faced with the prospect of potential harm to themselves, or their livelihood, they've reacted like pretty much every other American and are much more careful before they commit themselves to killing. A bit of progress, with a long way still to go.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject:

I'm normally on the left of issues like this and I just want to say that my opinion on this is completely apolitical and that I am only referencing his ability on the football field. HE SUCKS!
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Probably shouldn't have sued the NFL ...
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Holy cherry picking and attribution errors Batman!

More Black Americans were killed by police after Kap’s protest than the year before it.

Do you really think he ought to be responsible for approximately 20% of the 2016 deaths?

I don’t think he ought to get credit for anything other than furthering woke culture.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/theres-reason-to-believe-nf-ls-colin-kaepernick-workout-was-a-trojan-horse-044606049.html
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject:

1. This has already been discussed at some length in the NFL thread.

2. The release argument is a dumb narrative being pushed by Kaepernick's camp and by some twits like SI's "legal expert" McCann. I work with releases in the employment context all the time. I see nothing problematic about that release. When I see twits like McCann suggesting otherwise, what I perceive is people squinting really hard at the language trying to find some sinister plot by the NFL. If you squint hard enough and are paranoid enough, you can always imagine a trap.

3. Note: I question the NFL's motives in this whole scenario. By nature, I lean toward the rights of labor and employees and am suspicious of management. However, I am not a quack. I see nothing in the release form that was a trap. On the other hand, I think the whole scenario was a trap for Kaepernick, and he and his advisors gleefully jumped right into it. The winning scenario was to show up and look impressive at the workout. I suspect that the NFL was confident that Kaepernick either would not show up or would perform poorly.

4. There will not be a second collusion case. The first one was pretty much of a fiasco for Kaepernick. As best I can tell, he came out of it with a modest amount of money after the lawyers got paid. At this point, the NFL is not going to do anything that creates evidence for a second case. Have you noticed that no one, and I mean no one, from the NFL ever comments in the media about Kaepernick? Only the union (not Kaepernick) can bring a collusion case. I would be shocked if that happens.

5. For all of the talk about Trojan horses and the like, the bottom line is that the NFL offered Kaepernick a job interview. They set it up at the Falcons' training facility. They had Hue Jackson there to run the workout. Representatives of 20 NFL teams showed up. Then 30 minutes before the job interview, Kaepernick announced that he would not show up and that he was holding his own job interview 60 miles away. This was a disastrous decision that likely ended any possibility of Kaepernick ever playing in the NFL again. It is possible that some team will offer him a contract as some sort of publicity stunt or the like, but that's it.

6. Kaepernick still has supporters in the media (and within the NFL, despite what some people seem to think). I see some of them trying to spin this as a genius move by Kaepernick. Give me a break. He skipped a job interview and showed up for his own workout in a Kunta Kinte t-shirt. He convinced a lot of people, including some of his supporters, that he really doesn't want to play in the NFL and that he just wants to be a martyr. Meanwhile, every NFL team now has a persuasive explanation for not signing him. I normally avoid analogies to ordinary employees when discussing pro athletes, but in this case the analogy is appropriate. Would you hire an employee with this sort of attitude? If he was an amazing talent who could do great things for you, you might be tempted. But that doesn't describe Kaepernick.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject:

ok, u the expert
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject:

There is too much mistrust on both sides such that he will never play in the NFL again. No team wants to sign him because they know if they trip up they will probably open themselves up to a lawsuit.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject:

I have been listening to the Reasonable Doubt podcast in recent months....it is Adam Carolla and Mark Geragos. On the recent episode which was released on 11/16/19 which was Saturday but recorded on Friday, Geragos who is Kaepernicks attorney referred to something unexpected taking place....even laughing saying if you are listening to this on Sunday, you will know what I am talking about. I can only assume he is talking about pulling out of workout which suggests their stunt was planned days before Saturday.
Corey78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
1. This has already been discussed at some length in the NFL thread.

2. The release argument is a dumb narrative being pushed by Kaepernick's camp and by some twits like SI's "legal expert" McCann. I work with releases in the employment context all the time. I see nothing problematic about that release. When I see twits like McCann suggesting otherwise, what I perceive is people squinting really hard at the language trying to find some sinister plot by the NFL. If you squint hard enough and are paranoid enough, you can always imagine a trap.

3. Note: I question the NFL's motives in this whole scenario. By nature, I lean toward the rights of labor and employees and am suspicious of management. However, I am not a quack. I see nothing in the release form that was a trap. On the other hand, I think the whole scenario was a trap for Kaepernick, and he and his advisors gleefully jumped right into it. The winning scenario was to show up and look impressive at the workout. I suspect that the NFL was confident that Kaepernick either would not show up or would perform poorly.

4. There will not be a second collusion case. The first one was pretty much of a fiasco for Kaepernick. As best I can tell, he came out of it with a modest amount of money after the lawyers got paid. At this point, the NFL is not going to do anything that creates evidence for a second case. Have you noticed that no one, and I mean no one, from the NFL ever comments in the media about Kaepernick? Only the union (not Kaepernick) can bring a collusion case. I would be shocked if that happens.

5. For all of the talk about Trojan horses and the like, the bottom line is that the NFL offered Kaepernick a job interview. They set it up at the Falcons' training facility. They had Hue Jackson there to run the workout. Representatives of 20 NFL teams showed up. Then 30 minutes before the job interview, Kaepernick announced that he would not show up and that he was holding his own job interview 60 miles away. This was a disastrous decision that likely ended any possibility of Kaepernick ever playing in the NFL again. It is possible that some team will offer him a contract as some sort of publicity stunt or the like, but that's it.

6. Kaepernick still has supporters in the media (and within the NFL, despite what some people seem to think). I see some of them trying to spin this as a genius move by Kaepernick. Give me a break. He skipped a job interview and showed up for his own workout in a Kunta Kinte t-shirt. He convinced a lot of people, including some of his supporters, that he really doesn't want to play in the NFL and that he just wants to be a martyr. Meanwhile, every NFL team now has a persuasive explanation for not signing him. I normally avoid analogies to ordinary employees when discussing pro athletes, but in this case the analogy is appropriate. Would you hire an employee with this sort of attitude? If he was an amazing talent who could do great things for you, you might be tempted. But that doesn't describe Kaepernick.

Would you hire an employee with this attitude, just to be a back up quarterback...

Also, does Kaepernick even want to be a back-up quarterback? That would hurt his brand if he is just some guy on the sidelines. Realistically, he doesn't want to play anymore; the kunta kinte shirt is laughable.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I have been listening to the Reasonable Doubt podcast in recent months....it is Adam Carolla and Mark Geragos. On the recent episode which was released on 11/16/19 which was Saturday but recorded on Friday, Geragos who is Kaepernicks attorney referred to something unexpected taking place....even laughing saying if you are listening to this on Sunday, you will know what I am talking about. I can only assume he is talking about pulling out of workout which suggests their stunt was planned days before Saturday.

Yes, that was apparent at the time. They had everything set up and ready to go. I just don't understand why any competent advisor associated with Kaepernick would tell him that this was a good idea. My cynical side suspects that this was set up to be a scene from the future movie, The Colin Kaepernick Story. This is the scene where Our Hero triumphantly flips off the NFL and holds a workout where he reveals his passing superpowers for all to see. But of course the evil NFL still doesn't sign him. I realize that this is so cynical as to be comical, but it seems like the people in the Kaepernick camp are not thinking clearly.

I guess part of my reaction to this is colored by the fact that I've had any number of employment clients who got into these sorts of paranoid delusions. None of them were in the same ballpark as Kaepernick in terms of salary or fame, of course. But they had a mindset that seems similar to what I'm seeing from Kaepernick -- a weird mix of paranoia and self-importance. I've had to sit these people down for long talks. In a couple cases, I had to tell them to find another lawyer, because I could never give them the vindication that they wanted. Even if we won the case, it wouldn't be good enough for them.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:45 am    Post subject:

It seems to me, it was just a scene from a reality TV series. Kap doesn't really want to play again, he just wants to be the anti-hero. He has had his chances, he could have gone in as a 1 year cheap anywhere, and a chance to prove he could play, especially if a starting QB got injured. All Kap needed to do was show that he would come back and play football, not make waves, and with positive results, somebody would offer him a good sized contract in his second year.

Nah, make your movie, get realities from your Nike endorsements, and some cool-breeze articles. That's what he wants, not the grind of football, the possibility he gets hurt or even worse, underperforms if he gets to play.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 24 of 26
Jump to: