Kobe v. LBJ (Read mod warning on page 1 before posting)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 162, 163, 164  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
kikanga wrote:
TIL the real world is the less than 200K people who found a ranker poll.

Ranker ... I mean "real world" also says Abba is > BB King, Miles Davis, Santana, Billy Joel, Louis Armstrong

Well you said “even the biggest Kobe hater in the world has him in their top 10”. (You want me to post quote it?) So is Ranker the biggest Kobe hater? Or are there bigger Kobe haters?

Is ESPN a bigger hater than Ranker? They have him outside the top 10 as well. https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/nbarank160205/all-nbarank-11-15

Either way, you were wrong. This is why arbitrary endpoints are problematic.

Kobe being out of the top 10 is a joke. No matter who says it or how many say it.

I'd say the consensus top 11 is Wilt, Russell, Shaq, Kareem, Hakeem, Duncan, Lebron, Bird, Jordan, Kobe, and Magic.

Keeping any of them out of the top 10 seems ridiculous.

I think people forget how good all these guys are. I know 10 is a appealing number, but whoever you put 11th on this list isn't really far off from #1.

It's no insult to Duncan to put him behind Hakeem, and no insult to Wilt to put him behind Bird, etc.

Exactly. Top “10” is just an arbitrary cutoff. There is almost no difference between whoever is #10 and #11 so to care so much is to be emotional, not logical.

(Though I get why people get emotional about this, it’s just good to acknowledge it because it seems like there is confusion on that)
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
kikanga wrote:
You can't defend a ring chaser like Bron and say chips don't matter. If they didn't matter, he wouldn't be a ring chaser to begin with.

“The Logic is Strong with this one”

That sounds like logic to you? That is emotion, not logic. Lol.

Don’t need to look at ring count to know Lebron is better than Dillon Brooks. Do you?

And what was illogical about the statement??

The motivation of a player like to chase rings only means whatever it means to that player.

In other words, that Lebron loves rings isn’t why rings should or shouldn’t “matter”. Ricky Davis loved chasing stats. That doesn’t mean stats should “matter”. Sprewell loved money. Does contract size = skill? What a player wants for themselves, logically, is irrelevant.

Not sure about that. Especially when all the greats talk about rings as the #1 goal

I would agree it is the #1 goal. So tell me what relevance having that goal is, to a discussion on who has more actual skill.

Chris Boucher has 2x rings. Giannis has zero. Who cares what their goals are, or what their ring count is.

Can you tell me who is better at basketball or no?

Personally, I don't rank players based on "who is better at basketball."

I rank them mostly based on their basketball accomplishments.

Rings are one of those accomplishments.

However, all rings aren't created equal. I factor in whether the player in question was the #1 guy on the ring team or the #3 guy or the #10 guy. That's my way of factoring in team accomplishments when ranking players individually; your way might be different.

That said, I have no mathematical formula. I can't give you the relatively weight of all the stuff I consider. There can be differences in how I rank guys on different days. There is as much art to this for me as there is science.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Ranker ... I mean "real world" also says Abba is > BB King, Miles Davis, Santana, Billy Joel, Louis Armstrong

Well you said “even the biggest Kobe hater in the world has him in their top 10”. (You want me to post quote it?) So is Ranker the biggest Kobe hater? Or are there bigger Kobe haters?

Is ESPN a bigger hater than Ranker? They have him outside the top 10 as well. https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/nbarank160205/all-nbarank-11-15

Kobe being out of the top 10 is a joke. No matter who says it or how many say it.

I'd say the consensus top 11 is Wilt, Russell, Shaq, Kareem, Hakeem, Duncan, Lebron, Bird, Jordan, Kobe, and Magic.

I think people forget how good all these guys are. I know 10 is a appealing number, but whoever you put 11th on this list isn't really far off from #1.

It's no insult to Duncan to put him behind Hakeem, and no insult to Wilt to put him behind Bird, etc.

Exactly. Top “10” is just an arbitrary cutoff. There is almost no difference between whoever is #10 and #11 so to care so much is to be emotional, not logical.

(Though I get why people get emotional about this, it’s just good to acknowledge it because it seems like there is confusion on that)

Each of them are all time greats. Legends
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
kikanga wrote:
You can't defend a ring chaser like Bron and say chips don't matter. If they didn't matter, he wouldn't be a ring chaser to begin with.

Don’t need to look at ring count to know Lebron is better than Dillon Brooks. Do you?

The motivation of a player like to chase rings only means whatever it means to that player.

In other words, that Lebron loves rings isn’t why rings should or shouldn’t “matter”. Ricky Davis loved chasing stats. That doesn’t mean stats should “matter”. Sprewell loved money. Does contract size = skill? What a player wants for themselves, logically, is irrelevant.

Not sure about that. Especially when all the greats talk about rings as the #1 goal

I would agree it is the #1 goal. So tell me what relevance having that goal is, to a discussion on who has more actual skill.

Chris Boucher has 2x rings. Giannis has zero. Who cares what their goals are, or what their ring count is.

It’s not the only marker or goal of a great player, but it is the goal of every team. Rings matter and most of the all timers have them.
Giannis is quite young. Let’s see if he can get his franchise there

So how can you tell me about who is better between Giannis and Dillon Brooks when neither have rings?

Are you able to compare their games and draw a conclusion without looking at ring count?

As a fan of the game I have my opinions on which players are better overall, regardless of ring count. Yes.
Don’t all fans form similar conclusions?
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
kikanga wrote:

A perfectly reasonable take
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Is it? I am not sure I agree.

I mean, what exactly is the magnitude difference between a 10th ranked player and a 12th ranked player? Would you say the 10th ranked player is ... 2x better? 1.5x better? 10 percent? 1 percent?

Top “10” is just an arbitrary endpoint. Doesn’t mean the 11th is the same as the 1000000th either. Again, seems emotional, not logical. Who cares where others rank him anyway?

I don’t care where others rank him, in the end. My opinion on him changes not. Their takes on the matter are still ridiculous to me, however
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject:

I mean very few people if any are really qualified to rank players all time because few lived to see all of them play live. And I doubt many people have seriously taken the time to watch sufficient game tape of those whom they did not watch live.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
I mean very few people if any are really qualified to rank players all time because few lived to see all of them play live. And I doubt many people have seriously taken the time to watch sufficient game tape of those whom they did not watch live.

It really should just be all in good fun
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
kikanga wrote:

It’s not the only marker or goal of a great player, but it is the goal of every team. Rings matter and most of the all timers have them.
Giannis is quite young. Let’s see if he can get his franchise there

So how can you tell me about who is better between Giannis and Dillon Brooks when neither have rings?

Are you able to compare their games and draw a conclusion without looking at ring count?

As a fan of the game I have my opinions on which players are better overall, regardless of ring count. Yes.
Don’t all fans form similar conclusions?

Exactly. That is why ring count matters not, at least in terms of who is the better basketball player.

Ring count only matters when comparing championship victories.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject:

My argument for Kobe over Bron is bigger than the two players. Devaluing championships when you are trying to separate the greatest who ever did it is idiotic. You are devaluing winning vs. losing.

And to say what the greats desire most (championships) doesn't matter is also dumb.

Imagine applying that elsewhere. Imagine if the top neurosurgeons in the country all decided that the success rate for X procedure is the most important factor when valuing what neurosurgeon is the best. But the public disagreed. Would you say the public is right? If so, good luck with that.

Positional responsibilities for each player, reffing, accompanying roster, competition all varies for the all time greats. One thing that doesn't. Whether it's 60s players like West and Chamberlain or 2010s players like Bron. They all agree. It's about the rings.

I trust the greats more than the people on ranker who more often than not root for a team that hasn't even won 2 chips EVER (as an organization).

Last edited by kikanga on Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
kikanga wrote:

However, all rings aren't created equal. I factor in whether the player in question was the #1 guy on the ring team or the #3 guy or the #10 guy. That's my way of factoring in team accomplishments when ranking players individually; your way might be different.

That said, I have no mathematical formula. I can't give you the relatively weight of all the stuff I consider. There can be differences in how I rank guys on different days. There is as much art to this for me as there is science.

I think accomplishments are a fine way to compare players.

I don’t think a person needs a mathematical formula. But I do think they need to explain what “better” means. Or I’d take X over Y. That can be arbitrary “better is whoever makes me giggle with glee” or it can be statistical.

Just saying Lebron>Kobe is fruitless without context because he’s certainly not better at playing power forward, for instance.
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

I'm glad you posted this link. Here's a little crowdsourcing I did on my own:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/nbarank160205/all-nbarank-11-15

Kobe 12th/Lebon 3rd

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2854727-bleacher-reports-all-time-player-rankings-nbas-top-50-revealed?share=other#slide38

Kobe 14th/Lebron 2nd

https://www.interbasket.net/news/slam-top-100-nba-players-all-time-full-list/23623/

Kobe 5th/Lebron 3rd

https://www.si.com/nba/photo/2016/02/09/50-greatest-nba-players-all-time#47

Kobe 12th/Lebron 5th

https://www.foxsports.com/nba/gallery/ranking-the-25-greatest-players-in-nba-history-100716

Kobe 12th/Lebron 2nd

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/cbs-sports-50-greatest-nba-players-of-all-time-where-do-lebron-curry-rank/

Kobe 10th/Lebron 2nd

Combined ranking:

Kobe 11th
Lebron 3rd

Anyone see a pattern here? I guess all of these media outlets are Lebron stans right? And don't bother bringing up quotes from any present/past players on who they think is better. They're not dumb enough to disrespect a retired player by telling the world an active player has had a better career then a retired one.

The best part about this is even at his old basketball age Lebron is playing at an MVP level, will pass up Kobe 'the scorer' in scoring this season, and due to his playing style where he doesn't rely on athleticism as Kobe did, might well even make it into his 40s like Jordan.

Anyone remember a few years ago when Lebron was on the Cavs and many people on this board said once he got into his mid-30s his athleticism would vanish and he would be a shell of his former self? I should probably go dig up some of those threads.

Last edited by george w kush on Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject:

what are bill simmons's rankings? his are the only ones that matter
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject:

also just as a sidenote to this thread it's a real shame these guys never matched up with eachother in the finals

not that it would really add to this debate much if they had but still
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:

Bird
McHale
Pierce
Tatum
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
My argument for Kobe over Bron is bigger than the two players. Devaluing championships when you are trying to separate the greatest who ever did it is idiotic. You are devaluing winning vs. losing.

And to say what the greats desire most (championships) doesn't matter is also dumb.

Imagine applying that elsewhere. Imagine if the top neurosurgeons in the country all decided that the success rate for X procedure is the most important factor when valuing what neurosurgeon is the best. But the public disagreed. Would you say the public is right? If so, good luck with that.

Positional responsibilities for each player, reffing, accompanying roster, competition all varies for the all time greats. One thing that doesn't. Whether it's 60s players like West and Chamberlain or 2010s players like Bron. They all agree. It's about the rings.

I trust the greats more than the people on ranker who more often than not root for a team that hasn't even won 2 chips EVER (as an organization).

If ring count actually mattered in splitting the difference between Kobe and Lebron, why are there 50+ pages, almost none of which is doing the non-complicated math of comparing the difference in ring counts?

What I am trying to tell you is that ring counts don’t matter when comparing basketball player skills. It only counts towards comparing accomplishments.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:

Bird
McHale
Pierce
Tatum

Lebron would totally join that roster .
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Kobe 12th/Lebon 3rd

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2854727-bleacher-reports-all-time-player-rankings-nbas-top-50-revealed?share=other#slide38

Kobe 14th/Lebron 2nd

https://www.interbasket.net/news/slam-top-100-nba-players-all-time-full-list/23623/

Kobe 5th/Lebron 3rd

Kobe 12th/Lebron 5th

https://www.foxsports.com/nba/gallery/ranking-the-25-greatest-players-in-nba-history-100716

Kobe 12th/Lebron 2nd

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/cbs-sports-50-greatest-nba-players-of-all-time-where-do-lebron-curry-rank/

Kobe 10th/Lebron 2nd

Anyone see a pattern here? I guess all of these media outlets are Lebron stans right? And don't bother bringing up quotes from any present/past players on who they think is better. They're not dumb enough to disrespect a retired player by telling the world an active player has had a better career then a retired one.

The best part about this is even at his old basketball age Lebron is playing at an MVP level, will pass up Kobe 'the scorer' in scoring this season, and due to his playing style where he doesn't rely on athleticism as Kobe did, might well even make it into his 40s like Jordan.

Anyone remember a few years ago when Lebron was on the Cavs and many people on this board said once he got into his mid-30s his athleticism would vanish and he would be a shell of his former self? I should probably go dig up some of those threads.

Lol. Case closed....the majority does not dictate reality. Majorities in history have been proven wrong in their assumptions time and again.
Those polls do not reflect the knowledge of the person who clicked on the survey. When pundits repeat a phrase long enough the public at large assumes its validity. Pretend all you want that ESPN was not pushing LeBron as the Goat
The survey means less than nothing in this instance. I believe polls have been done asking former players who they would rank higher. If they pick Kobe over LeBron would that sway your opinion on the matter? Somehow I think not. Sportswriters and fans are who you lean on to hold up your argument.

Pretty pathetic
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
kikanga wrote:

If ring count actually mattered in splitting the difference between Kobe and Lebron, why are there 50+ pages, almost none of which is doing the non-complicated math of comparing the difference in ring counts?

What I am trying to tell you is that ring counts don’t matter when comparing basketball player skills. It only counts towards comparing accomplishments.

If we’re talking basketball skills then Kobe wins by a landslide
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I think accomplishments are a fine way to compare players.

I don’t think a person needs a mathematical formula. But I do think they need to explain what “better” means. Or I’d take X over Y. That can be arbitrary “better is whoever makes me giggle with glee” or it can be statistical.

Just saying Lebron>Kobe is fruitless without context because he’s certainly not better at playing power forward, for instance.

By and large, people do that. They say I choose Lebron over Kobe because of stats, rings, style of play, whatever.

If you're saying people need some explanation of what "better" means that can be applied equally to any players, most people don't have an explanation like that.

Not exactly sure what you're looking for. Why don't you give your personal definition of what "better" means as an example.
crazylakerfan001
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Btw on a NBA Forum where the majority of people there hate Kobe and label him as a overachieving chucker, Had a vote for top 100 players all time. Even with The guy incharge of the voting trying discredit Kobe and trying to find ways to reduce the Votes for Kobe (Ending the voting cut off time once kobe starts to lose in votes While for Lebron he Left it open longer when he was losing in votes). Kobe Still ended up top 11. The Forum also has many Lebron Homers with many of them having the argument that he himself beat the 73 win team

1. Michael Jordan
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
3. Lebron James
4. Bill Russell
5. Tim Duncan
6. Wilt Chamberlain
7. Magic Johnson
8. Shaquille O'Neal
9. Hakeem Olajuwon
10. Larry Bird
11. Kobe Bryant
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Kobe 12th/Lebon 3rd

Kobe 14th/Lebron 2nd

Kobe 5th/Lebron 3rd

Kobe 12th/Lebron 5th

Kobe 12th/Lebron 2nd

Kobe 10th/Lebron 2nd

Combined ranking:

Kobe 11th
Lebron 3rd

Dude, the American media is paid to brainwash us. The media hasn't been free of payouts by big corporations since the days of Walter Cronkite. If you believe everything they say then you're nothing more than a pawn. What do former players have to say about Kobe vs. lebron??? Those are the guys you need to be listening to, not the media. Take Shannon Sharpe for instance...I like the guy, I think he's very funny, but the infatuation and biased reporting he has for lebron can't possibly be taken seriously. Nobody, I mean nobody in the media has ever had that type of twisted and quite honestly slightly disturbing love affair with Kobe. I know men that don't take up for their wives that defiantly. This goes back to the time when Nike destroyed the tape of lebron getting dunked on by a kid. So what, he got dunked on, everybody does at some point in basketball...but from day 1 there's been a concerted effort to portray lebron as the next best thing to sliced bread, and you have to have the ability to read between the lines to see that it's mostly hype and propaganda.

Last edited by kwase on Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
also just as a sidenote to this thread it's a real shame these guys never matched up with eachother in the finals

also lebron's fault. why? not good enough to beat dwight in the a series. the same dwight and same year that kobe killed them. lol. just another example.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:

also lebron's fault. why? not good enough to beat dwight in the a series. the same dwight and same year that kobe killed them. lol. just another example.

Cleveland had the best record in the league that season.
If he’s Goat level he needs to best that Orlando team. Period
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:

Cleveland had the best record in the league that season.
If he’s Goat level he needs to best that Orlando team. Period

rashard lewis screwed him over. lol

that was supposed to be the year kobe vs lbj.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 162, 163, 164  Next
Page 52 of 164
Jump to: