School shooting in Santa Clarita
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Everyone I know from Saugus High is in shock and disbelief. That school is never going to be the same.

I posted this on Facebook just now:

Quote:
I've always been very selective about whom I've told this to to avoid seeming paranoid, but I suppose now's a good time to finally admit it to everyone. I never felt safe at Saugus High. (Or even at Arroyo Seco, really.) There were people there whom I felt were clearly unstable and potentially dangerous-- people who were angry at teachers, at other students, at themselves, or at the world, and who simply didn't have the impulse control to keep this anger in check.

I would go out of my way to minimize interactions with these people so I didn't end up on their hit list. It didn't always work out, and in the back of my mind I was always worried about what they might do someday. I really disliked when they would sit behind me in class (or wherever) because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to react in time when they finally snapped.

I am in no way trying to stigmatize mental illness (most mentally ill people are not violent) or suggest that the people I just described should even be characterized as mentally ill. I'm saying that there were people there who had the potential to do something like this and there was nothing-- metal detectors, security guards, therapy, etc., literally *nothing*-- that would stop them from doing so.

It didn't have to be a gun. It could have been a knife, an axe, a bat, explosives, anything really. It was unlikely that anyone would act out on their violent impulses in any one given year, but it wasn't *that* unlikely.

And I went through two years of junior high and four years of high school with this thought in the back of my head. And one day, it finally happened.

When I was a kid, the idea of getting shot in school was completely and utterly inconceivable.

Hope you're doing well bud.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
When I was a kid, the idea of getting shot in school was completely and utterly inconceivable.

We have thoughts and prayers, so it's all good.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Gun nut father probably not a big help here.

This isn't the 1800's, we aren't hunting for pheasants with muskets.

Enough of the gun nut (bleep)

Father is dead 2 years. Why is it so hard to put the blame where it belongs? Directly on the individual.

He had access to guns even after his father’s death?

Who was taking him hunting after his father died? Mom?

Why were there still guns? Who was in control of the guns, mom?

Were they locked up?

Quote:

Santa Clarita shooting: Detectives probe how teen got gun as community mourns those killed

A key focus of the investigation is how Nathaniel Berhow got the .45-caliber handgun he used to carry out the attack Thursday morning.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department is working with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to determine whether the gun was made from parts purchased separately and then assembled, law enforcement sources told The Times. Such weapons, so-called ghost guns, do not have serial numbers and can be manufactured from parts ordered through the mail or acquired from underground makers.

...investigators found several firearms during a search of the teen’s home, and some were not registered. Villanueva did not specify what types of guns were recovered.

Berhow’s late father is said to have been an avid hunter, but it’s unclear if those weapons belonged to him.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-11-16/santa-clarita-shooting-detectives-probe-how-teen-got-gun-as-community-mourns

ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Father is dead 2 years. Why is it so hard to put the blame where it belongs? Directly on the individual.

He had access to guns even after his father’s death?

Who was taking him hunting after his father died? Mom?

Why were there still guns? Who was in control of the guns, mom?

Were they locked up?

Quote:

Santa Clarita shooting: Detectives probe how teen got gun as community mourns those killed

A key focus of the investigation is how Nathaniel Berhow got the .45-caliber handgun he used to carry out the attack Thursday morning.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department is working with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to determine whether the gun was made from parts purchased separately and then assembled, law enforcement sources told The Times. Such weapons, so-called ghost guns, do not have serial numbers and can be manufactured from parts ordered through the mail or acquired from underground makers.

...investigators found several firearms during a search of the teen’s home, and some were not registered. Villanueva did not specify what types of guns were recovered.

Berhow’s late father is said to have been an avid hunter, but it’s unclear if those weapons belonged to him.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-11-16/santa-clarita-shooting-detectives-probe-how-teen-got-gun-as-community-mourns

Why the concern with hunting. A Colt M1911 .45 is not a hunting weapon it is a side arm that has been in common usage for over 100 years. Why shouldn't his mother have one in her house? Should she disarm herself because her husband died? If that is even where he got the weapon . If so yes it should have been secured per California state law. That worked pretty good for someone that wanted to kill a couple people. If you are willing to commit murder you probably don't have a problem breaking a myriad of "lesser" laws.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:19 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Why shouldn't his mother have one in her house? Should she disarm herself because her husband died?

Never said that.

Are you answering the questions for the mother? The questions were directed at the mother and the household. Do you have the answers?

If you are going to be defensive about the line of questioning, tell me which questions you found to be improper?

It says in the article that detectives are "probing" into how the teen got the gun.

Aren't these a part of the "probing" questions? Which question are you objecting to?

Wouldn't the detectives ask all these questions in their investigation?

I mean, there was just a mass shooting just 2 days ago and you're objecting to probing questions? Why? Does it violate her privacy or something? Does it implicate her or something?

Do you feel these questions are unfair because they come off as accusatory? A mass shooting at a high school happened and you feel asking about the guns in the house and how the teen got access to these guns are out of line?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:44 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Years after I graduated and even years after Columbine, my HS finally put up a bar fence around an exposed flank of classes on the edge of the staff parking lot. They had classrooms that opened up to the lot/outer sidewalk/street. While I was there, it never even occurred to me in 4 years that any nut could've walked right into any classroom off the street much less a Columbine situation where the shooter shows up mid-day and gains direct entry to a room. Schools can reduce a leaky perimeter as much as budget and safety will allow, but they're screwed when it's a current student who arrives on time thru open gates/doors, etc.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

That’s exactly how we continue to get nowhere. With mass shootings outnumbering days in the calendar, at some point, “the individual” rings hollow. It’s an epidemic.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Why shouldn't his mother have one in her house? Should she disarm herself because her husband died?

Never said that.

Are you answering the questions for the mother? The questions were directed at the mother and the household. Do you have the answers?

If you are going to be defensive about the line of questioning, tell me which questions you found to be improper?

It says in the article that detectives are "probing" into how the teen got the gun.

Aren't these a part of the "probing" questions? Which question are you objecting to?

I mean, there was just a mass shooting just 2 days ago and you're objecting to probing questions? Why? Does it violate her privacy or something? Does it implicate her or something?

Do you feel these questions are unfair because they come off as accusatory? A mass shooting at a high school happened and you feel asking about the guns in the house and how the teen got access to these guns are out of line?

I don't think it's out of line but what the hunting aspect of a 2 year dead father has to do with it I just cannot see. I was responding to the comment that why did the mother have these weapons in her house? Well that weapon is not a hunting weapon so why bring up hunting. It appears the mother had a hard time supervising he'd teenage son. This is not rare.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

Never said that.

I don't think it's out of line but what the hunting aspect of a 2 year dead father has to do with it I just cannot see. I was responding to the comment that why did the mother have these weapons in her house? Well that weapon is not a hunting weapon so why bring up hunting. It appears the mother had a hard time supervising he'd teenage son. This is not rare.

Yeah, if it's not out of line then what's the issue? How does questioning the mother hurt in anyway?

Why are you so defensive to questioning? If it has nothing to do with it, then it has nothing to do with it. Let the questions answer themselves.

Why are you providing answers to questions directed at the mother? Are you a family friend? Do you know the mother? How did you come to have the answers to these questions?

For sure, these are all questions that will be asked by the detectives. If the questions bother you or you think are irrelevant, maybe you can lodge your protest at the detectives? Maybe you can represent the mother as her legal counsel?

I'm still not sure why questioning the mother or questioning the father's past bothers you so much.

This happens to EVERYONE in the US when a crime is committed. They probe. They ask questions.

-------------------------------------------------

And to answer your question why they would ask these questions. Because we know the father was an avid hunter. We assume all the guns were his. After he passed away, what did the mother do with all the guns? Did she get rid of them? Did she keep them?

Was she a hunter? Did she take the kid hunting? Did she have use for these guns?

How much control did she have over the guns? How much control did she allow the kid to have over the guns? Did she lock them up?

All of these questions help the detectives find out what exactly happened. I still don't know why you object to these questions or any questions at all. Asking questions helps them uncover the truth; it helps them to understand the situation and how it came to be.

Your whole objection is what exactly? You feel these questions are too intrusive on the mother? You feel bad for the mother for having to answer these questions? What are you defending?

Or maybe you don't want the detectives to even find out how he got the gun? You want them to drop the entire investigation? He was the shooter, the end? Don't even investigate any further?
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject:

I'm not the one being defensive. You keep bringing up hunting. I just want to know what your repeated questions about hunting and the mother hunting has to do with the fact that the weapon is not a hunting weapon.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
I'm not the one being defensive. You keep bringing up hunting. I just want to know what your repeated questions about hunting and the mother hunting has to do with the fact that the weapon is not a hunting weapon.

The weapon is not a hunting weapon. Because the weapon is not a hunting weapon, no questions on hunting?

What is your objection exactly? Don't ask about the father's past? Don't ask the mother about hunting?

I'm really trying to follow what it is exactly that you don't like about asking questions.

When investigating, isn't the job of the detectives to be thorough? Don't you want them to be thorough and ask all types of questions?

Why do you object to hunting questions? What is it about hunting questions that you feel are inappropriate/out of line/ offensive/intrusive /accusatory?

---------------------------

How about I phrase it like this...

It is my opinion that the detectives will ask these questions about the father's guns, about the father's past, about the types of guns in the house, about what the mother does with the guns.

Is that fair? Or do you object to that as well? Do you disagree that the detectives will ask these questions of the mother and the household?

If you object to ME bringing them up, do you also object to the detectives bringing them up? Are you disagreeing that the detectives will ask all of these questions
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject:

You were asking the questions yourself. Detective will ask their own as they should . I am willing to bet the hunting and mother's hunting will barely be touched upon if at all. I have no problems whatsoever with their how they conduct their investigation. I just think it's silly to bring up such a non sequitur. The main crime has been solved they know who did the killing. The lesser crime of were the weapons not properly secured from a minor or were they improperly obtained in some other way is the only remaining issue. Whether the mother went hunting with him or not seems non germain.
it seems you have a problem with me disagreeing with you. I'm not the one writing the page long screeds.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
You were asking the questions yourself. Detective will ask their own as they should . I am willing to bet the hunting and mother's hunting will barely be touched upon if at all. I have no problems whatsoever with their how they conduct their investigation. I just think it's silly to bring up such a non sequitur. The main crime has been solved they know who did the killing. The lesser crime of were the weapons not properly secured from a minor or were they improperly obtained in some other way is the only remaining issue. Whether the mother went hunting with him or not seems non germain.
it seems you have a problem with me disagreeing with you. I'm not the one writing the page long screeds.

So your whole disagreement is in WHO'S asking the questions? If it's the detectives, it's ok. But the same questions can't be asked by another person? Interesting.

Anyways, it seems unimportant but to move this along, I'll take back all the questions that I asked. I won't ask any anymore questions.

I'll restate it in another way.

It is my opinion that they (the detectives) will investigate into the guns by asking the following questions:

1) The father's past including how many guns did he own, what did he use them for, how much access did he give to the kid?
2) Who owned the guns?
3) Why were the guns in the house?
4) Were they hunting guns?
5) Did the mother go hunting?
6) How much access did the kid have to the gun?
7) How many guns were in the house?
8) Were the guns locked up?

Again, I rephrase. These ARE NOT my questions. I am merely making a prediction that these are the questions that I think the detectives will ask of the mother and the household when they investigate this crime.

After restating my position, do you still take issue?

-------------------------------

And to your point about comparing the major crime vs. the minor crime of access, didn't they do a thorough investigation of the Vegas shooter?

Didn't they investigate how he got the guns, how he got the guns to his room, etc.

I mean they got the shooter, there was no doubt about that.

They still investigated it thoroughly to get the entire story. So it's still unclear what exactly are you taking issue with?

They always investigate crimes thoroughly. You're arguing that they won't investigate into the father's hunting background or the mother's reasons for having the guns in the house? Really? This is what you're taking issue with? You want them to be less thorough in their investigation?

Confusing
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

So your whole disagreement is in WHO'S asking the questions? If it's the detectives, it's ok. But the same questions can't be asked by another person? Interesting.

Anyways, it seems unimportant but to move this along, I'll take back all the questions that I asked. I won't ask any anymore questions.

It is my opinion that they (the detectives) will investigate into the guns by asking the following questions:

1) The father's past including how many guns did he own, what did he use them for, how much access did he give to the kid?
2) Who owned the guns?

Again, I rephrase. These ARE NOT my questions. I am merely making a prediction that these are the questions that I think the detectives will ask of the mother and the household when they investigate this crime.

And to your point about comparing the major crime vs. the minor crime of access, didn't they do a thorough investigation of the Vegas shooter?

Didn't they investigate how he got the guns, how he got the guns to his room, etc.

They still investigated it thoroughly to get the entire story. So it's still unclear what exactly are you taking issue with?

They always investigate crimes thoroughly. You're arguing that they won't investigate into the father's hunting background or the mother's reasons for having the guns in the house? Really? This is what you're taking issue with? You want them to be less thorough in their investigation?

Confusing

Lol ok. I can see you are really invested in this have at it.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

2) Who owned the guns?

Confusing

Lol ok. I can see you are really invested in this have at it.

Nice to see a debate about a mass shooting at a local high school end in a LOL....
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject:

you don't really hunt with a .45 ACP
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:

That wouldn't be the point though. The point is, the father was an avid hunter who was also a gun fanatic. He passed away 2 years ago.

They found multiple guns in the house, presumably belonging to the father. He probably had hunting and non-hunting guns.

Maybe after he died, the mother kept all the guns in the house because her son liked to hunt.

So, it's the reasons why there were so many guns in the house. It really doesn't matter whether the son chose a hunting gun or non-hunting gun.

You still want to know why the mother kept so many guns in the house and how much access did she allow the kid to have to the guns. Whether the kid chose to use a hunting gun or non-hunting gun is irrelevant.

The concern is: (1) why were there so many guns in the house (2) how much access did the kid have to the guns

At the end of the day, we know that a 15 yr old had access to guns that he shouldn't have had access to. There are questions. Why were the guns there and how did he get access to them?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:

Unless there are bears around
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

Truth.

So a question that arises is could a Minor buy a rifle for Bear hunting and then explain he also needs a automatic handgun to keep himself safe while hunting bear?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

Either a very small bear or a very large idiot...
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

Truth.

So a question that arises is could a Minor buy a rifle for Bear hunting and then explain he also needs a automatic handgun to keep himself safe while hunting bear?

All he has to do is convince his mother that it’s for “hunting” purposes. He could have had his mom order the parts for him and he assembled it himself.

Or his father already had them and his mom thought they were all hunting guns so she never restricted his access to them.

Seems like the mom didn't know what types of guns were in the house, which ones were registered/unregistered, which were hunting or assault guns, etc.

What excuse would the mom have in allowing unregistered weapons to be in the house?

Quote:
Authorities this week are examining weapons seized from the home of a teenager they say opened fire at Saugus High School and are scrubbing social media accounts, trying to learn more about what spurred the violence that left two students dead and three wounded in Santa Clarita.

Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department homicide Capt. Kent Wegener said the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives was examining a cache of unregistered weapons seized from the home of Nathaniel Berhow.

Results of both the weapons and electronics investigations are expected by the end of the week, authorities said.

Officials remain unsure about where the .45-caliber handgun used to carry out the attack Thursday morning was acquired. They are trying to determine whether the gun was made from parts purchased separately and then assembled, law enforcement sources told The Times. Such weapons, known as “ghost guns,” do not have serial numbers and can be manufactured from parts ordered through the mail or acquired from underground makers.

Investigators found several firearms during a search of the teen’s home, and some were not registered. Villanueva did not specify what types of guns were recovered.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-11-18/santa-clarita-school-shooting-teen-gunmans-social-media-is-scrubbed-for-clues

Quote:
Saugus High School Gun Was Possibly Modified, Complicating Investigation

The investigation into how a 16-year-old student at Saugus High School obtained the 45-caliber pistol used in Thursday's school murders and shooting has become more complicated, as the handgun found at the scene appears to have been modified from its original form, several law enforcement sources told NBC News.

"We know the make and the model," LA County Sheriff Alex Villanueva told NBC's Miguel Almaguer. "We're not going to release that information until they do their complete analysis of the firearm itself. All we can release right now, is we know it's a 45, we're going through it, our firearms experts are going through it, and we're being assisted by the ATF."

The handgun may have been purchased in one form and had a cosmetic feature or barrel changed, the sources said.

Numerous other firearms were found during a search of the home where the 16-year-old Saugus High School attacker lived, including assault weapons and handguns. Law enforcement officials said they were also investigating whether the teen had unlawful access to the weaponry.

ATF agents said they had traced the histories of six other firearms found at the teenager's home, and Villanueva said investigators had accounted for a number of guns once registered to the teen's father, most of which were seized by the Sheriff's Department several years ago.

Villanueva said there were also weapons that were not registered to the father. "Some of the firearms were not registered at all."

Law enforcement sources familiar with the investigation told NBC4 Thursday guns and gun parts were found in several different areas of the home. A box truck was brought to the home by LA County Sheriff's deputies to transport the weapons and other evidence.

The guns taken from the family's home several years ago were destroyed, the sources said. The seizure followed an incident which led to the father undergoing a mental health evaluation, they said.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Saugus-High-School-Gun-Was-Modified-Complicating-Investigation-565017462.html

Quote:
Public records and a high-ranking law enforcement source indicated signs of trouble at home.

His family life in Santa Clarita was upended by the sudden death of his father, Mark Berhow, in December 2017, acquaintances said. More recently, a source told The Times, the boy was having problems with his girlfriend, who was his emotional anchor.

Mark Berhow had been arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence in 2013 and 2015 and pleaded no contest twice. The second time, he was sentenced to 45 days in jail and five years’ probation.

According to jail records, he was also booked in 2015 on suspicion of attempted battery of a spouse. The Los Angeles County district attorney’s office declined to file charges in that case, citing insufficient evidence.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/detectives-probe-how-teen-got-gun-as-california-community-mourns/ar-BBWRTas
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

We have small black bears
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject:

REVENANT!
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:05 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

We have small black bears

yeah but if you're going to hunt bears.. your weapon of choice most likely isn't a .45

especially if you've seen revenant.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:39 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
he also needs a automatic handgun

What like a mac-11?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: