PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ocho wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Prince was just a cheesy combination of Chuck Berry and James Brown.

This terrible take burns hotter than the center of the sun.

I had to log out for a few hours after reading.

And this is coming from a guy who posted a ling list of cheesy redneck songs that bring him to tears.

good music is good music....you and I clearly have very different definitions of the word "redneck". I think any father or someone that is old enough to have lost people in this life would appreciate much of my list. Finally, if you can listen to someone like Chris Stapleton and not "feel" the emotion in his voice and lyrics, then I would question your overall ability to appreciate any genre of music with any depth.

1. I consider redneck music to be music made by and/or for people who like songs filled with Huntin’ and Fishin’ and Fussin’ and Fightin’ (and a fear of the letter g on the end of a word like it was a Yankee) and good ol’ boys wearin’ shirts as loud and simple as they are, who persist in referring to their father as daddy. In other words, music you might hear coming from a jacked up ford pickup with a confederate flag on it.

2. I’m a father of four, but while I never took them to a tractor pull, taught them how to clean and eat possum from the side of the road, or married their aunt, I think I did ok. Granted, none of them have any interest in farm animals, nor do they call their grandparents pawpaw and mawmaw so you might disagree.

3. Chris Stapleton has an amazing voice, and like prince surmounting his lyrical lacks, sometimes his musicianship overcomes the genre he has chosen. But he should never do another duet with Justin Timberlake.

3. I might be yank(ee)ing your chain a little...

I hope this is sarcasm cause if it’s not... it’s incredible ignorance bordering on racism. You should probably listen to some Stapleton music because you clearly haven’t.

Although I agree the Timberlake duet was a bad move.

It’s cute that a couple of you couldn’t help getting triggered even though I laid it on extra obviously thick, this is a hot take l thread, and I actually explicitly said what I was doing at the end. But while you apparently don’t get the concepts of irony or racism, at least you do understand the concept of groupies.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ocho wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Prince was just a cheesy combination of Chuck Berry and James Brown.

This terrible take burns hotter than the center of the sun.

I had to log out for a few hours after reading.

And this is coming from a guy who posted a ling list of cheesy redneck songs that bring him to tears.

good music is good music....you and I clearly have very different definitions of the word "redneck". I think any father or someone that is old enough to have lost people in this life would appreciate much of my list. Finally, if you can listen to someone like Chris Stapleton and not "feel" the emotion in his voice and lyrics, then I would question your overall ability to appreciate any genre of music with any depth.

1. I consider redneck music to be music made by and/or for people who like songs filled with Huntin’ and Fishin’ and Fussin’ and Fightin’ (and a fear of the letter g on the end of a word like it was a Yankee) and good ol’ boys wearin’ shirts as loud and simple as they are, who persist in referring to their father as daddy. In other words, music you might hear coming from a jacked up ford pickup with a confederate flag on it.

2. I’m a father of four, but while I never took them to a tractor pull, taught them how to clean and eat possum from the side of the road, or married their aunt, I think I did ok. Granted, none of them have any interest in farm animals, nor do they call their grandparents pawpaw and mawmaw so you might disagree.

3. Chris Stapleton has an amazing voice, and like prince surmounting his lyrical lacks, sometimes his musicianship overcomes the genre he has chosen. But he should never do another duet with Justin Timberlake.

3. I might be yank(ee)ing your chain a little...

I hope this is sarcasm cause if it’s not... it’s incredible ignorance bordering on racism. You should probably listen to some Stapleton music because you clearly haven’t.

Although I agree the Timberlake duet was a bad move.

It’s cute that a couple of you couldn’t help getting triggered even though I laid it on extra obviously thick, this is a hot take l thread, and I actually explicitly said what I was doing at the end. But while you apparently don’t get the concepts of irony or racism, at least you do understand the concept of groupies.

It's like a comedian having to make disclaimers before his act .
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject:

PDTP is the greatest thread of all time.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Best birthday cake ever:

I didn’t order it so I don’t know the correct terminology, but I know it was from ColdStone and I tasted two layers of Coffee ice cream between 3 thin layers of chocolate cake with dark chocolate ganache and shavings.
Cup of coffee
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:59 am    Post subject:

Steroids and other PEDs should be legal. They work. It's just a matter of are they safe to use under professional supervision.

In fact, I'll up the ante. All high school athletes should be strongly encouraged to take the proper dose of PEDs so that they can reach their full genetic and psychological potential, assuming that PEDs are reasonably safe for use under supervision.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Steroids and other PEDs should be legal. They work. It's just a matter of are they safe to use under professional supervision.

In fact, I'll up the ante. All high school athletes should be strongly encouraged to take the proper dose of PEDs so that they can reach their full genetic and psychological potential, assuming that PEDs are reasonably safe for use under supervision.

PPV Football PED league
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject:

There's a segment of avid tv watchers who are addicted to the social media/water cooler prestige of HBO. You can spot them by their slavish devotion to the cycles of each new HBO drama, most recently season two of Succession, proselytizing the nonsubscribers as if to justify their own ongoing subscriptions.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject:

The best thing about this thread is that you can post wildly inflammatory and inappropriate things in other threads and then just say, oops, I thought I was in the hot take thread.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject:

The TV show died around 2010. That’s my TV hot take. There’s nothing worth following anymore, and the medium’s been cannibalized to death. There’s some decent stuff on Netflix, but I barely finish anything I start watching these days. And no it’s not ADD, it’s because the quality of serialized programming has run its course. Not to mention it is terribly over-saturized. I cancelled my cable subscription about 2 years ago and don’t miss it one bit.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
The TV show died around 2010. That’s my TV hot take. There’s nothing worth following anymore, and the medium’s been cannibalized to death. There’s some decent stuff on Netflix, but I barely finish anything I start watching these days. And no it’s not ADD, it’s because the quality of serialized programming has run its course. Not to mention it is terribly over-saturized. I cancelled my cable subscription about 2 years ago and don’t miss it one bit.

What is your favorite show of all time?
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

It’s a toss up between Battlestar Galactica or Breaking Bad. I’d also throw Twin Peaks and Deadwood in there, but both shows had very short lived and incomplete runs. I was a stickler for most of the programming from 2003-2010, I’d say that the vast majority of my favorite shows aired during that time.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject:

I'd say the network TV show died. The last one I watched was LOST.

But in addition to Netflix, there's great stuff on AMC, Showtime, HBO, and Amazon Prime. Yes, there's so much stuff out there, especially on Netflix, but if you do some research and look at the reviews, you can figure out what's good and what's not.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject:

well the thing is better call saul is better than breaking bad and is still going on
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
kikanga wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

It’s a toss up between Battlestar Galactica or Breaking Bad. I’d also throw Twin Peaks and Deadwood in there, but both shows had very short lived and incomplete runs. I was a stickler for most of the programming from 2003-2010, I’d say that the vast majority of my favorite shows aired during that time.

Aren’t a lot of shows like Battlestar Galactica on nowadays.
If you like anti hero shows like Breaking Bad I recommend Ray Donovan, Mr. Inbetween, Better Call Saul, Snowfall and Jett.

Trippy shows like twin peaks that involve a little work to understand, I’d recommend Dark and OA.

And Deadwood is tougher. Hell on Wheels, True Detective, Justified, and Westworld.

Personally. Unrelated to the shows you mentioned I’d recommend Mindhinter, Mr. Robot (especially seasons 3 and 4) and Atlanta . Those are 3 of the best shows of the decade IMO.

Chernobyl and Escape from Dannemora are great limited series shows as well.

Just check out the trailers and see if you like any of them.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
George Carlin is overrated

He lacked the mallet and produce of Gallagher. That was always the chief diss against him.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Aren’t a lot of shows like Battlestar Galactica on nowadays.

That always reminds me of CYE Season 2 "The Thong" where Larry and Richard Lewis are at their shrink's office yelling at each other to take the hour because they both wanna quit due to Larry seeing the shrink in a thong at the beach and they don't want the shrink to know that was the reason. They argue in the waiting room and the doc enters and Larry goes, "What was the name of that show again, Battlestar Galactica?" Richard says, "Ya know.... Whatever. I have NO idea what yer talking about..." Larry says, "I'll be sure ta watch that...Battlestar Galactica..."

The hot take is that Season 1 and 2 = still the best.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:

I actually think we've been living in the golden age of television.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

As far as options, yeah I suppose.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

It goes beyond sheer volume. There are a lot of quality, innovative shows in this era.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject:

I'll agree with panamaniac inasmuch as I find that I can't finish many shows. I can go 2-3 seasons then, I'm done. There aren't that many that not only stay true to their internal cosmos but also move the story and characters forward.

That said, those series that do hold up are better than anything that TV (and in some instances film) has offered...ever. This is the golden era of TV, no doubt.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

And quality. There are so many talented writers directors and actors who wouldn’t touch tv before the paradigm shift, doing so many well funded and executed shows. Even the crap is better than TV was fifteen years ago.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
I'll agree with panamaniac inasmuch as I find that I can't finish many shows. I can go 2-3 seasons then, I'm done. There aren't that many that not only stay true to their internal cosmos but also move the story and characters forward.

That said, those series that do hold up are better than anything that TV (and in some instances film) has offered...ever. This is the golden era of TV, no doubt.

I certainly dig some of them. Peaky Blinders, Ozark, Daredevil, Stranger Things, Better Call Saul, Westworld, etc. are all decent to good. I've found some of the mini series this decade quite excellent, such as Chernobyl and Good Omens (I don't really count those as TV shows). As a whole, however, I find that shows this decade lack the staying power and deep-dive worthiness of past behemoths like your Mad Mens, Boardwalk Empires, Sopranos, Breaking Bad etc. They just don't have the characters, iconography and truly dramatic arcs/climaxes that made the aforementioned shows timeless. Artistically, much of what I watch today strikes me as by the numbers, just meh. The only genuinely engrossing experience I've encountered this decade was the 1st season (and just the 1st season) of True Detective. Most times I throw on a show these days it's just as background noise, unfortunately. Perhaps it's just a function of growing older, as I no longer feel the urge to keep up with all the latest series. But every so often I attempt to seek the next great offering, and it eludes me.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject:

cookies SUCK
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
cookies SUCK

You're mostly right. Cookies that aren't chocolate chip might as well be made of apple cores and old newspapers.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8
Jump to: