ok boomer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject:

^^^it is not wrong, nor is it political. If you are unable to respond without involving partisan politics, then that is a you problem. I made sure that my statement was not to be confused with partisan positions.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
because Boomers continued the benefits which required them to steal more from future generations. Post WWII, massive government entitlements were established and pensions were set up in both the private and public sectors that clearly relied on future generations to fund. My issue is not about the current partisan debate about government entitlements being good or bad....but the fact that they knew at the time they could not be sustained over future generations. Math was alive and well then. They knew these entitlements would run dry, but they moved forward with them anyway because they knew they would get theirs.

You are conflating a "generation" of people with political leadership. In fact, the senior political leadership that did these things did not consist of baby boomers.

either my writing was not clear, or you simply misunderstand....I was not referring to boomers. I specifically stated that boomers continued to benefit from actions taken by The Greatest Generation. Early Boomers for the most part fully benefited from entitlement programs and pension plans, but as we already know late Boomers are already dealing with these entitlements and benefits not being fiscally sustainable. Actually if you want to be honest, late boomers really got a raw deal because many of them learned later in their earning years that the retirement provided to their parents would not be there for them unless it was self funded....thus losing many years of self funding that retirement.

There's a big difference in the highlighted language. I generally agree with your second post. We knew that Social Security was essentially a Ponzi scheme all the way back in the '70s. There was never any political will to fix it. It was a proverbial third rail. At this point, I've been paying into the damn system for over 40 years. You can imagine how my fellow travelers and I would react to any politician who wants to make the system go poof at this point. I don't feel bad about that.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
because Boomers continued the benefits which required them to steal more from future generations. Post WWII, massive government entitlements were established and pensions were set up in both the private and public sectors that clearly relied on future generations to fund. My issue is not about the current partisan debate about government entitlements being good or bad....but the fact that they knew at the time they could not be sustained over future generations. Math was alive and well then. They knew these entitlements would run dry, but they moved forward with them anyway because they knew they would get theirs.

You are conflating a "generation" of people with political leadership. In fact, the senior political leadership that did these things did not consist of baby boomers.

either my writing was not clear, or you simply misunderstand....I was not referring to boomers. I specifically stated that boomers continued to benefit from actions taken by The Greatest Generation. Early Boomers for the most part fully benefited from entitlement programs and pension plans, but as we already know late Boomers are already dealing with these entitlements and benefits not being fiscally sustainable. Actually if you want to be honest, late boomers really got a raw deal because many of them learned later in their earning years that the retirement provided to their parents would not be there for them unless it was self funded....thus losing many years of self funding that retirement.

There's a big difference in the highlighted language. I generally agree with your second post. We knew that Social Security was essentially a Ponzi scheme all the way back in the '70s. There was never any political will to fix it. It was a proverbial third rail. At this point, I've been paying into the damn system for over 40 years. You can imagine how my fellow travelers and I would react to any politician who wants to make the system go poof at this point. I don't feel bad about that.

but is that in fact not what we are doing when we are using debt to fund current entitlements.....simply stealing from future generations? I understand that debt is being accumulated for more than entitlements, but all of it is simply indebting future generations....just the interest alone will make it harder on future generations.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
^^^it is not wrong, nor is it political. If you are unable to respond without involving partisan politics, then that is a you problem. I made sure that my statement was not to be confused with partisan positions.

Yep. You can have a political debate about entitlement programs. This isn't it. We're talking about generational attitudes. The kids are going to be paying through the nose for my generation. I'd feel bad about that, but I paid through the nose for the prior generation. Your turn, kids.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:
And of course the elephant in the room is our current President and the generation that voted him in and still supports him.

You're conflating a "generation" of people with some particular viewpoint you don't like.

I'm going to trim the politics from that exchange to the extent I can so that we can get to the point.

Here's all one needs to know. You and I are both Boomers. At the same time, I think it is fair to say that you and I all too frequently find ourselves on opposite pages.

My point being that (and at the risk of repeating myself) differences are based on individuals, not birthdates.

There are valid, measurable differences based on things like birthdates, but those differences can only be applied to a GROUP of individuals, not in reverse back to the individual.

I think a lot of folks have trouble with this concept though.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
but is that in fact not what we are doing when we are using debt to fund current entitlements.....simply stealing from future generations? I understand that debt is being accumulated for more than entitlements, but all of it is simply indebting future generations....just the interest alone will make it harder on future generations.

That's a question of the government refusing to fund itself and instead living on credit cards. There appears to be no political will to change this, and in fact one side wants to jack up spending even more while the other side wants to cut taxes even more. That is a political topic that I will not pursue here. For purposes of this discussion, I will just say that you shouldn't conflate government benefit programs with the unwillingness of the political establishment to fund them.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Yep. You can have a political debate about entitlement programs. This isn't it. We're talking about generational attitudes. The kids are going to be paying through the nose for my generation. I'd feel bad about that, but I paid through the nose for the prior generation. Your turn, kids.

I get the sentiment, but the flaw in the argument is that you didn’t pay through the nose.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:

That's a question of the government refusing to fund itself and instead living on credit cards. There appears to be no political will to change this, and in fact one side wants to jack up spending even more while the other side wants to cut taxes even more. That is a political topic that I will not pursue here. For purposes of this discussion, I will just say that you shouldn't conflate government benefit programs with the unwillingness of the political establishment to fund them.

sure, and I said it is not about if you think we should or should not spend...that is the partisan discussion. My point is we had actuary's when these pieces of legislation were written and they had to know they would not be sustainable as written. I was not really talking about Social Security which was passed while the Greatest Generation was still young.....but we have all seen the graphs of how at one time 16 people funded one person, and how that was reduced to 8, then 4 (I am not sure of exact numbers....just plugging for example). The decline in population growth, longer post retirement life spans and change in demographics should have been factored in at the time of implementation so the legislation could have adjusted over time. The same thing for Medicare and every other entitlement program. People can debate if we should have these programs all the wish, but we implemented them knowing they were not sustainable unless changes were made.

Also as you said, once these entitlements are in place, they become untouchable. We all know that the age for Social Security needs to be adjusted to an older age. Not for someone that is 50 years old or even 40 years old.....but make the change right now for everyone under 30 years old. Politicians are terrified to touch it.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject:

It's a response to boomers who want to give their opinion on something and then don't want to hear anything that would threaten the validity of that opinion. Younger generations are getting tired of wasting effort trying to explain things to people who aren't going to listen anyway. So rather than saying "here is why climate change is real and how it can lead to real problems" or "this is why what you're saying is xenophobic/racist/misogynistic/homophobic and perhaps you should look at it like this" they've resorted to just dismissing someone and something that is wasted effort.
"Okay boomer" means this conversation isn't worth my energy when it can be better spent elsewhere.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject:

What we need is more name-calling, stereotyping and fragmentation into warring tribal groups. That should help us address all of our lingering challenges like climate change.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject:

Off topic, but if you really care about trimming the deficit here's a great place to start.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/14/us-has-spent-5point9-trillion-on-middle-east-asia-wars-since-2001-study.html

Also, the Fed is printing how much to pump into the repo market every day?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Off topic, but if you really care about trimming the deficit here's a great place to start.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/14/us-has-spent-5point9-trillion-on-middle-east-asia-wars-since-2001-study.html

Also, the Fed is printing how much to pump into the repo market every day?

Both parties are too busy pandering to tackle that issue. The groups they pander to are diametrically opposed to compromise on fiscal restraint, tax reform and strategic prioritization.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
What we need is more name-calling, stereotyping and fragmentation into warring tribal groups. That should help us address all of our lingering challenges like climate change.

Okay boomer
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Well, you’re the one who brought up a Trump, not me. Feel free to take your argument to The Political Thread, but I’ll never read it.

If that's the alternative to turning this thread into another Political Thread. I can live with that.
My response including links and article quotes is waiting there if you change your mind.

I won't. I'm sure everyone there will agree with whatever you're spewing.

If you actually read the thread you’d know that isn’t true.

That thread isn’t the boogie man it’s made out to be.

Last edited by kikanga on Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I get the sentiment, but the flaw in the argument is that you didn’t pay through the nose.

Oh, really?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:
And of course the elephant in the room is our current President and the generation that voted him in and still supports him.

You're conflating a "generation" of people with some particular viewpoint you don't like.

I'm going to trim the politics from that exchange to the extent I can so that we can get to the point.

Here's all one needs to know. You and I are both Boomers. At the same time, I think it is fair to say that you and I all too frequently find ourselves on opposite pages.

My point being that (and at the risk of repeating myself) differences are based on individuals, not birthdates.

There are valid, measurable differences based on things like birthdates, but those differences can only be applied to a GROUP of individuals, not in reverse back to the individual.

I think a lot of folks have trouble with this concept though.

I don’t know if you guys missed this but this was literally my second post in this thread.
kikanga wrote:
Of course I'm just generalizing and there is nuance. There are lazy millenial hypocrites and there are hateful boomers. I'm just explaining how generational differences have shown themselves in my life and those around me.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Oh, really?

Nope. That's not an attack. I'm not paying through the nose either. We pay a rather small tax for a benefit that will greatly outstrip what we put in very quickly.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Well, you’re the one who brought up a Trump, not me. Feel free to take your argument to The Political Thread, but I’ll never read it.

If that's the alternative to turning this thread into another Political Thread. I can live with that.
My response including links and article quotes is waiting there if you change your mind.

I won't. I'm sure everyone there will agree with whatever you're spewing.

If you actually read the thread you’d know that isn’t true.

I left the thread about two years ago after one of the moderators told me that I was brainwashed by Fox News. That was not the only reason, but it was the tipping point for me. I've never been back. However, I've seen nothing in the comments of other people to suggest that it is any less of a far left echo chamber than it was back in the day.

But enough about The Political Thread. You raised the Trump issue in this thread, not me. If you want to continue the discussion in The Political Thread, that's your privilege. I'm sure that the folks in your squad will appreciate your insights.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Nope. That's not an attack. I'm not paying through the nose either. We pay a rather small tax for a benefit that will greatly outstrip what we put in very quickly.

Maybe. If you account for the present value of money, I'm not sure that I will ever recoup what I put into the system. It all depends on how long I live. If I drop dead tomorrow, I will have recouped nothing (though of course that will be a lesser concern). Jodeke has probably made a handsome rate of return.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Maybe. If you account for the present value of money, I'm not sure that I will ever recoup what I put into the system. It all depends on how long I live. If I drop dead tomorrow, I will have recouped nothing (though of course that will be a lesser concern). Jodeke has probably made a handsome rate of return.

C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/11/us/oklahoma-professor-n-word-ok-boomer/index.html

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/11/us/oklahoma-professor-n-word-ok-boomer/index.html

Clearly never attended OU.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: