Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject:

1977... we boomer?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject:

Generational divides are arbitrary and dumb. That includes older doofuses sharing "lol millennials" memes, too.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Generational divides are arbitrary and dumb.

OK, Millenial
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

OK, Millenial

See my edited post above.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

OK, Millenial

clever
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

OK, Millenial

With everything else out there, especially with Trump and social media, this is less than a nothingburger, as an insult. However, in the right context, as it was used, an old-fart telling a younger person that he doesn't give a hoot about the environment, then I think it most appropriately applied.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
governator wrote:

OK, Millenial

With everything else out there, especially with Trump and social media, this is less than a nothingburger, as an insult. However, in the right context, as it was used, an old-fart telling a younger person that he doesn't give a hoot about the environment, then I think it most appropriately applied.

Bingo.

I was going to say the exact same thing.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject:

The boomer generation might carry the distinction of being the most selfish, hypocritical, and destructive generation in modern history. Their current urge to just have everything and push the bill (including the environmental) one forward, and their entitled condescension to everyone and everything else, including our institutions and the very rule of law, is staggering. It’s like they fell in love with the screenplay of a movie where Ebeneezer Scrooge plays an Ugly American.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
The boomer generation might carry the distinction of being the most selfish, hypocritical, and destructive generation in modern history. Their current urge to just have everything and push the bill (including the environmental) one forward, and their entitled condescension to everyone and everything else, including our institutions and the very rule of law, is staggering. It’s like they fell in love with the screenplay of a movie where Ebeneezer Scrooge plays an Ugly American.

I think there is an argument that title could go to or at least began with a maturing (post 20's) group dubbed "The Greatest Generation". I do not think the "boomers" started the fire.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject:

ok boomer
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: ok boomer

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
good phrase or no?

Only before you slam them on fast food parking lot asphalt.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I think there is an argument that title could go to or at least began with a maturing (post 20's) group dubbed "The Greatest Generation". I do not think the "boomers" started the fire.

The only thing I'd pin on that generation is that they gave birth to this group of miscreants. Take, take take should be the boomer motto.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

To begin with, you paint with such a broad brush you could cover a side of a barn in a single stroke. There are subgroups within a generation; they are not monolithic. And they change over time. I might remind you, many tried to fight for the planet and to preserve it's resources, the flora and fauna, and it's beauty, when if was not fashionable--they were a large part of the impetus of the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act and the Endangered Species Act, the EPA--all signed by a Republican. They fought to preserve whales and the ocean. They fought against the status quo, the American bourgeois, materialism as a primary goal of life, waste, and began our recycling programs. They wanted zero population growth. They fought against nuclear power when it had yet to develop a permanent waste storage solution. They fought to stop a war, and the waste and carnage as a result of that war. They were the masses behind the Civil Rights reform. With all of these goals, they were met with resistance and ridicule from the Greatest Generation, as they were coined--but even this generation does not deserve such scorn considering what they had to endure. As the Boomers aged, they did lose much of their idealism, but at least they had idealism at some point, which, up until recently, has been almost devoid in this country since.

Oh yeah, the Boomers gave us Barack Obama and the best music ever. Also, let's not forget about Magic and Kareem among others.

FYI:

Here are the birth years for each generation:

Gen Z, iGen, or Centennials: Born 1996 – TBD.
Millennials or Gen Y: Born 1977 – 1995.
Generation X: Born 1965 – 1976.
Baby Boomers: Born 1946 – 1964.
Traditionalists or Silent Generation: Born 1945 and before.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

FYI:

those ranges are not really set in stone...for example, I use to see Gen X often ending in '76 or '77.....but now Gen X almost always includes births through 1980.

Quote:
Generation X is the demographic cohort following the post–World War II baby boom, representing a generational change from the baby boomers.

Many researchers and demographers use dates which correspond to the fertility-patterns in the population, which results in a Generation X starting-date of 1965, such as Pew Research Center which uses a range of 1965–1980.[15]

News outlets such as The New York Times[16][17] and the Washington Post[18] describe Generation X as people born between 1965 and 1980. Bloomberg[19], Business Insider,[20] and Forbes[21] also use 1965-1980. Time states that Generation X is "roughly defined as anyone born between 1965 and 1980."[22] PricewaterhouseCoopers, a multinational professional services network headquartered in London, describes Generation X employees as those born from 1965 to 1980.[23]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_X

growing up, I was always considered Gen Y.....but now I am lumped into Gen X
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

The only thing I'd pin on that generation is that they gave birth to this group of miscreants. Take, take take should be the boomer motto.

This generation came home to great fan fare after winning the final great war, and positioning America in a position of extreme strength on the world stage. They deserved every bit of the love from the nation as they sacrificed greatly. They quickly began to pay themselves via mass expansions of public and private entitlements and benefits. The problem is they had calculators and knew they were rewarding themselves at levels that could not be sustained, thus became the first generation to literally steal from their children and grandchildren to enrich their life experience.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

This generation came home to great fan fare after winning the final great war, and positioning America in a position of extreme strength on the world stage. They deserved every bit of the love from the nation as they sacrificed greatly. They quickly began to pay themselves via mass expansions of public and private entitlements and benefits. The problem is they had calculators and knew they were rewarding themselves at levels that could not be sustained, thus became the first generation to literally steal from their children and grandchildren to enrich their life experience.

What generation are you talking about? The Silent Generation or the Greatest Generation? I'm a Boomer and don't feel the previous generations stole from me. I feel we were given an opportunity that no generation has had.

This does not mean that there is not some truth to what you say, at least in a general sense. Since about 1980, all of the older generations have demanded to pay less to the government, which means the younger generations will have to pay for the the inflated lifestyles the older generations were afforded as a result of all the debt.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ribeye wrote:

FYI:

those ranges are not really set in stone...for example, I use to see Gen X often ending in '76 or '77.....but now Gen X almost always includes births through 1980.

Quote:
Generation X is the demographic cohort following the post–World War II baby boom, representing a generational change from the baby boomers.

Many researchers and demographers use dates which correspond to the fertility-patterns in the population, which results in a Generation X starting-date of 1965, such as Pew Research Center which uses a range of 1965–1980.[15]

News outlets such as The New York Times[16][17] and the Washington Post[18] describe Generation X as people born between 1965 and 1980. Bloomberg[19], Business Insider,[20] and Forbes[21] also use 1965-1980. Time states that Generation X is "roughly defined as anyone born between 1965 and 1980."[22] PricewaterhouseCoopers, a multinational professional services network headquartered in London, describes Generation X employees as those born from 1965 to 1980.[23]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_X

growing up, I was always considered Gen Y.....but now I am lumped into Gen X

These groupings tend to get really hazy at the edges. Growing up I was always considered at the tail end of Gen X. I'm 43 btw.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

To begin with, you paint with such a broad brush you could cover a side of a barn in a single stroke. There are subgroups within a generation; they are not monolithic. And they change over time. I might remind you, many tried to fight for the planet and to preserve it's resources, the flora and fauna, and it's beauty, when if was not fashionable--they were a large part of the impetus of the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act and the Endangered Species Act, the EPA--all signed by a Republican. They fought to preserve whales and the ocean. They fought against the status quo, the American bourgeois, materialism as a primary goal of life, waste, and began our recycling programs. They wanted zero population growth. They fought against nuclear power when it had yet to develop a permanent waste storage solution. They fought to stop a war, and the waste and carnage as a result of that war. They were the masses behind the Civil Rights reform. With all of these goals, they were met with resistance and ridicule from the Greatest Generation, as they were coined--but even this generation does not deserve such scorn considering what they had to endure. As the Boomers aged, they did lose much of their idealism, but at least they had idealism at some point, which, up until recently, has been almost devoid in this country since.

Oh yeah, the Boomers gave us Barack Obama and the best music ever. Also, let's not forget about Magic and Kareem among others.

FYI:

Even the youngest leaders of the Civil Rights movement were already born in the 30s and thus were not Baby Boomers. I think the problem with Boomers in general is that they grew up in what was possibly the period of greatest excess and opportunity in the American economy, squandered it all away for proceeding generations, and then locked the door behind them and threw away the key.

In my field (academia) it's especially prevalent. White guys in their 60s-70s making 150-350k a year with PhDs from Harvard and Yale that were far easier to get (with zero debt incurred) with almost zero competition in their fields sitting in chaired positions soaking up resources and keeping new people from being hired and having their voices heard. Since they control all of the departmental decision making they've basically ensured that funds go to them and their generation while hemorrhaging the future. It's disgusting...and this is in a field dominated by supposedly "liberal" viewpoints.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject:

These “generations” are just made up. My sister is 10 years older than me and my late brother was 7 years older than me. We are all “boomers,” but we grew up under substantially different circumstances. My sister is a product of the early ‘60s (think The Four Seasons), my brother was a product of the late ‘60s (think Jefferson Airplane), and I was a product of the mid-70s (think Boston). It is one thing to say that we were all part of the post-war baby boom (we were). It is another thing to say that we were part of homogeneous generation (we weren’t).

Even within my strata, people were radically different. People used to say that people in my age were X, Y, and Z. I thought it was bunk at the time. We covered the whole alphabet. This is not to say that we weren’t affected by the same sorts of things. We grew up expecting a nuclear war, we were bombarded with Cold War propaganda, we witnessed Vietnam and Watergate, and so forth. But different people reacted to this in different ways.

So when I heard people talking about Generation X, I just rolled my eyes. It made for some marketing fodder and the like, but mostly it was the same lamenting about “kids these days” that you always get. Ditto for millennials.

So when I hear this “Okay, Boomer” stuff, I am reminded of the words of Peter Townsend: “The things they say sound awful cold. Hope I die before I get old.” Well, Peter Townsend did get old, and so did his generation. There’s nothing new here.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject:

No, it’s not a good phrase.

It’s just a phrase.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject:

I think it's hilarious, especially when it's used on young people by younger people which has mostly been my experience with it.

I'm kind of meh about taking generational labels seriously. As has been mentioned, there are many stripes of people of all ages. It's only useful if we're talking about societal policies that (e.g.) Boomers all benefitted from which the younger generations now don't
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

https://imgur.com/a/b2B6Wr1
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

https://imgur.com/a/b2B6Wr1

What's comical is how prevalent the "kids these days" sensibilities are. I'd be the first to admit that the generation after mine, especially the ones that are in elementary school or thereabouts are in for a ROOOOUUUUGHHH time. Skyrocketing costs of college and housing is unsustainable. I just found out what my nephews and neices are paying for to attend the UC's. Literally 4 times as much as I did 20 years ago. Not 50% higher, not 100%...400%! I don't think I would have attended college and if I did, I would have dropped out eventually.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: