LAKERS -at- SPURS 11/3 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -at- SPURS 11/3 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Five in a Row... The plucky Spurs team wouldn’t go away. They trimmed a 19-point third quarter lead all the way down to tie it with 4 minutes left in the fourth.

The crowd was going nuts, the pressure was on and it was up to the Howard, Davis, LeBron, Green, KCP lineup to hold the line as Avery Bradley went to the locker room with an injury.

The two bench guys, Howard and KCP, stepped up big. Dwight was imposing his will on both ends, coming up with several key scores (putbacks, dunks, post scores) while anchoring the D on the other end. KCP knocked down two huge shots, a corner jumper and three to punch back against the Spurs push.

It was Dwight’s putback jam off a LeBron missed jumper that was probably the backbreaker. He crushed the Spurs hopes, and the Lakers held onto the 103-96 road win to improve their record to 5-1 on the season.

LeBron -- -- He wasn’t shooting well in this one...from the perimeter (0-6 from three) or the line (5-10). Still, a near triple-double in the first half with 11 points, 8 boards and 8 assists. He’d easily get that tonight. The Spurs tried to go small, but that left DeRozan dealing with LeBron and even AD for stretches. Both chewed that up in the post. When he’d have Aldridge switched on him, he wasn’t very effective. Some sloppy play early, spraying a few passes around before getting in the groove, but too many turnovers tonight. In the end, kind of a sub par offensive game from him despite that triple-double, which is an amazing thing to say. First Laker to get back-to-back triple-doubles since Lamar in 2006 and even he wasn’t happy with his performance offensively. He was strong again defensively. He had a superb defensive sequence by several Lakers first where Bradley nearly had a steal, LeBron then busted the possession by ball denying DeRozan on the perimeter excellently, that forced Aldridge into trying to chuck over AD to beat the shotclock, not close. LeBron’s ball denial D at times this season has been excellent. (He passed Kobe on the all-time NBA steals list.) “We held a great offensive team to 40 percent shooting and under a hundred,” LeBron said. The Stats: He scored 21 points on 8-23 shooting (0-6 from three, 5-10 from the line) to go with 11 boards, 13 assists, 2 steals, 1 block, 5 turnovers and 2 fouls in 37 minutes. He was a +15.

Davis -- -- He led the Lakers with 15 points on 7-11 shooting in the first half. He lead with 25 when the night was over. He’d sink one three (great form, good motion after looking like he had his touch early), then he’d badly airball his next three in the second half. When he had smalls on him, he collapsed the D or scored easily over them. We found him on a nice high-low when they tried fronting. He and LeBron led the charge, but they also combined for 11 turnovers. The ones in the fourth were painful. There was a lazy exchange between him and Bradley in the quarter that he probably didn’t realize Bradley was injured and couldn’t come take the ball. He also got blindsided in the post on another and charged. Clean that turnover action up with their superstars and they probably don’t sweat this game. On the D end, he and Dwight combined for 6 blocked shots to continue their superb rim protection. There are sequences where you see our point of attack D break down, then Dwight coming over to pressure and AD coming into finally shut it down. Having those two down there just gives you waves of defense that’s tough to deal with. The Stats: He scored 25 points on 10-20 shooting (1-2 fom three, 4-4 from the line) to go with 11 boards, 2 assists, 4 blocks, 6 turnovers and 2 fouls in 36 minutes. He was a +7.

Green -- -- Back to his old team and it seemed like he had his hands in the air most of the night in the “I didn’t touch him” stance after the whistles came. He picked up two fouls midway in the first quarter and had to sit, then picked up a third after returning in the second quarter. So that limited his time early on. He’s gotten into foul trouble early in games with a little consistency this season. He’d finish with 5 fouls on the night and make just one three. The Stats: He scored 3 points on 1-4 shooting (1-3 from three) to go with 1 board, 1 steal, 2 turnovers and 5 fouls in 23 minutes. He was a +10.

McGee -- -- We survived the first stint to start the game as the Spurs didn’t really go after him. Although, Pop did call a timeout and immediately they went to Aldridge against him for a score. Still, they survived the start of this one without falling into a huge hole. In the third quarter, we got off to a good start and then flatlined again and a 19-point lead was trimmed to 9. Vogel cut the losses after 6 minutes and sat McGee. It’s not working. He did get a couple rejections at the rim to get stops, but foul prone. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-1 shooting to go with 3 boards, 2 blocks and 4 fouls in 11 minutes. He was a -1.

Bradley -- -- My worry with Bradley is really his health. He’s been a bit banged up the past few years. Is that being injury prone, bad luck or one injury contributing to another. Keeping him in the game is a challenge. He limped to the locker room with a lower right leg injury (he got kicked) midway through the fourth. Because of his injury history, I’m really cautious with him anytime something goes down. Great first half with 10 points on 4-5 shooting and his usually feisty defense. In the second half, we set up some midrange looks for him out of timeouts. You know he’s on when we’re calling his number. Vogel mentioned his offense afterward. He also had a couple of great passes. His one assist was a lob for Dwight, but he also called the high-low as he swung it to Dwight, so give him that hockey assist, too. This is really the ideal kind of game from him. This team is tough whenever you can get an efficient double-digit scoring game from him. The Stats: He scored 16 points on 7-9 shooting (1-1 from three, 1-1 from the line) to go with 3 boards, 1 assist, 1 steal and no fouls in 27 minutes. He was a +8.

Kuzma -- -- He forced his first three and missed, missed a wide open wing three and then finally hit the toughest one, a buzzer beater from the Spurs logo before going into halftime. He’d miss another one in the second half. His other make was a sweet baseline turnaround he swished over a small (he’s worked on that). He’s got a lot of rust to shake off. The fit on the team is a bit clunky at the moment because of that. Glad Vogel limited his action a little in this one, since it was close. The Stats: He scored 5 points on 2-7 shooting (1-4 from three) to go with 3 boards and 2 fouls in 16 minutes. He was a +3.

Howard -- -- We should really be playing him more. A lot to love in this game from Dwight. In the first half, how about the read with AD getting fronted in the post? Bradley swung it to Dwight at the top of the arc and he quickly lobbed to AD for the dunk. I imagine that’s usually been Dwight on the receiving end in his career and rarely the passer, but he didn’t hesitate and executed perfectly. He rarely gets post touches. In fact, we gave it to him tonight for a score with the left in the post when the shotclock was low. I think that’s pretty much the same situation as his last post up a few games ago, shotclock low, bail out the offense, please. We did find him ducking in for another score with his left in that fourth that was kind of a post score. He was a monster in the fourth. Throw in a lob finish and cleaning up the glass on dribble penetration and he was an impact scoring machine down the stretch. The exclamation point score, the backbreaker maybe for the Spurs, was when LeBron missed a baseline jumper and Dwight came flying in down the middle of the lane for the putback jam with 2:41 left. That capped off a killer fourth quarter. That AD/Dwight combo needs more time together. Again on D tonight he got those hands going when guards were dribbling around him. He picked a Mills trying to weave through traffic around him in the fourth. In the final minute, Gay was attacking on him and he knocked the ball off him, too, with the strip. Seems like someone on the other team is always in pain after colliding with Dwight in game. He’s put together a highlight reel of crushing blows in only a handful of games. Tonight it was Derrick White as Dwight challenged him at the rim and White hit the floor hard. Clean challenge, common foul, man just hit floor with a thud. Sometimes you get guys thinking twice about driving the lane again after that. Just love the physicality he brings, maybe because I grew up watching those Lakers teams in the late 70s/80s. Give Dwight the game ball for that dominating fourth quarter tonight. The Stats: He scored 14 points on 7-7 shooting (0-1 from the line) to go with 13 boards (4 offensive), 2 steals, 2 blocks, 1 turnover and 3 fouls in 21 minutes. He was a +2.

Caldwell-Pope -- -- Big plays in both halves tonight, not just some garbage time scoring, but impact moments. Really liked the first half, not because he swished his first attempt from three but he and the other guards were doing a good job on D. Some excellent switching sequences with KCP that happened flawlessly and shut offensive sets down. Clutch scores tonight. He sank a big baseline jumper on an inbounds with under 4 minutes left and the game tied. They needed that. He then drained an open three in a kickout the next possession down. Huge counterpunch scores that forced the Spurs to call a timeout. “A huge shot for us,” LeBron said. More of these games, please. The Stats: He scored 14 points on 5-9 shooting (2-5 from three, 2-2 from the line) to go with 1 board, 1 steal, 1 turnover and 2 fouls in 28 minutes. He was a +4.

Caruso -- -- If you need to be cautious with Bradley, maybe Caruso climbs into that starting unit to take over his role. Seems doubtful, though, as AC comes in when LeBron sits to give the team some ball handling. Or maybe Vogel would keep that rotation in place and do something like Cook...which would be real painful to that starting D. So, I think the guy you would see would be KCP. He was who Vogel went to tonight as we have LeBron basically at PG. Caruso just isn’t getting enough traction offensively for him to advance any further yet. Quiet night from AC even thought he had a block and a couple of steals (one of which he coughed right back up). His lone score was a spin away from the pressure, attack to his right where he stretched out and flipped in a layup high off the backboard. But one bucket and 3 turnovers isn’t what you want at all. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-3 shooting (0-1 from three) to go with 3 assists, 2 steals, 1 block, 3 turnovers and 1 foul in 20 minutes. He was a -13.

Daniels -- -- Role players on the road. Daniels is playing like one. Just not able to connect offensively as he missed a couple jumpers. He needs to be that microwave shooter. The Lakers went 6-24 from three tonight. Man, our shooters need to warm up. The Stats: He scored 1 point on 0-2 shooting (0-1 from three, 1-1 from the line) to go with 1 steal and no fouls in 15 minutes. He was a -4.

Cook -- -- Just 5 minutes tonight. He missed an open look from three straight away when the D went under a screen, and also missed a pull-up from midrange he’s normally been automatic on. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-2 shooting (0-1 from three) to go with 1 foul in 5 minutes. He was a +4.

Vogel -- -- Spurs were not really going at McGee except at the rim early on. This plays to the Lakers advantage. With a 10-2 run to lead 10-7, the Lakers forced Pop to burn a timeout. (Out of timeout, they went to Aldridge in the post against McGee for a score)… Kuzma in midway through the quarter for McGee, Lakers up 3 (they would sub this way in the third, as well). Until Kuzma gets the edge back to his game, it’s not going to move the needle much… Green sat with 2 fouls, Lakers up 7. KCP in for him… Lakers up 18-13 when AC came in for LeBron with 4 minutes left. This is the standard sub he’s been making in the last several quarters… Sloppy offensively with 8 turnovers. Lakers lucky to not be down big. They led 26-25 after the first quarter… He started a Howard, LeBron, KCP, Daniels. Caruso lineup… Timeout down 4. They got the ball into LeBron in the post for an easy score… Caruso out for Cook… Green in for KCP midway through quarter, Lakers up 3… Lakers up 5 with 5 minutes left when AD came in for LeBron... Up 4 and he went with AD, Kuzma, LeBron, Green, Bradley with 3 minutes left… Green picks up third, KCP in for him up 3… Just 2 turnovers in the second quarter for the Lakers to clean things up after that sloppy first… A 10-0 run to end quarter… The Lakers led 56-43 at the half. They had a 32-12 advantage on points in the paint… Lakers pushed out to 66-47 lead and force timeout. Bradley from the midrange, AD/LeBron pressuring the rim during this run. Timeout Spurs midway through the quarter… Intensity waning by the Lakers, turnovers popped up again and the lead was cut to 13, so Vogel called a timeout… Lead to 9 so he finally sat McGee for Kuzma midway through the quarter. I’m just waiting every game to get through these minutes… Up 8 when LeBron sat for Caruso with under 4 minutes left. Another timeout a few seconds later with lead down to 6. On the ATO, they again called Bradley’s number for the pull-up at the top off the key for a score… Bradley out for Daniels with 1 minute left, Lakers up 9… Spurs hit a 40-foot three at the buzzer to cut lead to 77-72 heading into the fourth… Howard, LeBron, KCP, Daniels, Caruso lineup to start the quarter… Green in for KCP, Lakers up 7… Daniels out for Bradley… Timeout after another turnover on a DHO when Bradley couldn’t move to the ball, Lakers up just 4. Bradley out with an injury on that. Caruso in… Spurs playing small, Lakers playing big and Dwight feasted in the fourth… The Lakers had a 10-4 advantage on shotblocking… The Lakers gave up 23 points on turnovers, but still won… Tough arena to get a road win. Good job by the staff having this team come away with it in a hostile environment again...
scottpot29
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject:

First. Two in a row!
Do it Mitch!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject:

I always enjoy reading these. Thanks DB.

Five and one baby, good start.
akgolf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB!
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, DB! I missed the game so Ts&Rs are critical to my fandom.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject:

Vogel deserves great credit for our 5-1 start.

It seems like the guys care and want to win. They are playing hard, Dwight Howard being perhaps the prime example.

I dig it.
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject:

akgolf wrote:
Thanks DB!
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject:

These games tend to be an emotional roller-coaster with all their ups and downs, but the last five have had happy endings, so this season is great (so far)...

Pops has beat the Lakers for years and always sides against them , so anytime we can beat him, it makes me smile.. I'm pretty sure he will give up coaching after this season, there is just nothing more to prove and he does not have the talent to get there anyway..
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
These games tend to be an emotional roller-coaster with all their ups and downs, but the last five have had happy endings, so this season is great (so far)...

Pops has beat the Lakers for years and always sides against them , so anytime we can beat him, it makes me smile.. I'm pretty sure he will give up coaching after this season, there is just nothing more to prove and he does not have the talent to get there anyway..

Great coach
Can’t stand the guy
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject:

1st win at AT&T center in 4 years
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Great coach
Can’t stand the guy

The same here. He is one of the greatest.
But I really never liked him. Too arrogant and always complaining too much with refs.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Cant remember the last time the Lakers went down to Texas and beat the Mavs and Spurs on the same trip. Terrific win against a veteran playoff-caliber team.

I'm amazed by how much impact Dwight has provided. So much so that I wonder if this team would be 3-3 without him. He's literally taken a Ben Wallace / Dennis Rodman type of role with the team, more on the Wallace side of things - and his impact is often on things that dont show up in box scores, but tonight he was all over the rim with put backs. I hope this continues, as it makes this team extremely difficult to beat.

I'm mixed on giving him more minutes since I do not want him to break down. What really needs to happen is McGee playing like he did last year for the first 20-30 games.

Anyway, I hope they dont look past Chicago. Hoping for a win where also they can rest AD and LBJ in the fourth.
Metro2Staples
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject:

cool writeup, Barry. The Spurs are a damn solid ball club, this was a nice road win, shows a lot of character and heart.
lordtrapula
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:36 pm    Post subject:

My goodness, when our guys are locked in, this defense is just suffocating.

https://twitter.com/NBA_Skits/status/1191170464439250945?s=20

I couldn't breathe watching this sequence lol
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers playing team defense, my oh my, how long has it been since we've seen that!
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:21 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
1st win at AT&T center in 4 years

That's why I use TMobile
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:24 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:28 am    Post subject:

Numbers from the game

Offense

Lakers scored 103 points
Lakers shot 42 for 87 from the field (48%)
Lakers shot from 6 for 24 from 3 pointers (25%)
Lakers had 21 assists to 18 Turnovers
Lakers had 7 offensive rebounds

Defense

Lakers held the Spurs to 33 for 83 shooting from field (39.8%)
Lakers held the Spurs to 6 for 25 from 3 pointers (24%)
Lakers forced 17 TOs
Lakers gave up 29 free throws to the Spurs
Lakers allowed 8 offensive rebounds
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:32 am    Post subject:

Some of my observations:

Pretty bad game on offense with regards to the TOs. They stick out. Some was good Spurs D, most of it was just sloppy offense by us.

Our 3 point shooting is not there. We seem to create good looks, but are not making them.

Better control of the glass in this one, vs Dallas game.

Consistently good field goal defense and 3 pt percentage defense.

Fouled too much. Love that we play physical. Prefer fouls than easy uncontested shots. But less fouling is important. We can play even better defense if we foul a little less.

Our offense is a lot better when we have AD close to the basket than handling the ball up high. AD is a monster down low and in motion rolling. When he catches the ball up high at the arc, his impact is about half of what it is when he catches low. Some good doubles (and triples) by the Spurs when AD was down low. Not since Shaq have had that kind of big guy. We need to take advantage of when defenses do that. AD has to use his teammates more in that situation.

Our bench lack of scoring and impact outside of Dwight sticks out. Frank understands this, that’s why you see AD and LBJ at least 1 of them playing with the bench at all times. I am concerned about the longterm minutes impact of this. Rob needs to look to get us a go to scorer for the bench, someone that can allow both AD and Lebron to rest. Alternatively we just have to sit them out a few games and let them rest as the season wears on. Losses that come with that.

Defensively we really locked in the end of the game. Despite his usual boneheaded play or five plays, KCP had a good game. Especially good switch up using KCP as closing point guard defensively with Green.

Dwight Howard and Anthony Davis. In my lifetime as a Laker fan, I have never seen anything as dominant defensively. Lets see how it looks in the playoffs but right now, wow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Kuzma -- -- He forced his first three and missed, missed a wide open wing three and then finally hit the toughest one, a buzzer beater from the Spurs logo before going into halftime. He’d miss another one in the second half. His other make was a sweet baseline turnaround he swished over a small (he’s worked on that). He’s got a lot of rust to shake off. The fit on the team is a bit clunky at the moment because of that. Glad Vogel limited his action a little in this one, since it was close. The Stats: He scored 5 points on 2-7 shooting (1-4 from three) to go with 3 boards and 2 fouls in 16 minutes. He was a +3.

Great coaching by Vogel on this one. I want Kuzma to earn his minutes by becoming a better defender and better shot taker. He is taking open 3s which is good. He should be doing more movement in the offense. Teammates will eventually start to find him. What I want from Kuzma is more defensive energy. The first 3 halves his defense was awful. Then Vogel benched him a bit longer and in the last stint I finally saw some defensive pride and energy. This is a staple of this team. Even Daniels a vet who was never known for defense, plays hard on D. Kuzma has to do the same.

However my concern is that many of us were hoping Kuzma could give us 15 ppg off the bench. If he can not carry the 2nd unit, it means Frank has to stick with staggering AD and Lebron with the 2nd unit. Those minutes will creep up, meaning I hope at some point we start to sit out AD and Lebron for rest. Seeding is not my #1 priority. Having a healthy Dwight, AD, Lebron, Green and Bradley for the playoffs is. If we have those 5 peaking and healthy in April, watch out. If Rob Pelinka can upgrade our bench a bit, that would be outstanding.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
However my concern is that many of us were hoping Kuzma could give us 15 ppg off the bench. If he can not carry the 2nd unit, it means Frank has to stick with staggering AD and Lebron with the 2nd unit. Those minutes will creep up, meaning I hope at some point we start to sit out AD and Lebron for rest. Seeding is not my #1 priority. Having a healthy Dwight, AD, Lebron, Green and Bradley for the playoffs is. If we have those 5 peaking and healthy in April, watch out. If Rob Pelinka can upgrade our bench a bit, that would be outstanding.

This is key this season. Gotta be able to rest AD and LBJ.
d_joseph_
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject:

Best win of the season so far.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! I'm pleasantly surprised by Howard so far this season, he's coming up huge for us out of the gates. Particularly his coordination on defense with AD, and the manner in which he's scoring; he's adding to everyone's game when he cleans up like that.

I hope McGee finds his game so Howard doesn't have to shoulder most of the load all season.

I'm also pleasantly surprised with KCP, he's actually played well when it matters for a couple games now, and if he's playing smart team defense like he did late last night, that matters a lot. Here's hoping Bradley shakes off the leg bruise from getting kicked.

Great to see another win and the Lakers coming out strong to start this season! Thanks again for a great write-up DB!!
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!

This was a good test. The spurs will exploit all weaknesses/bad tendencies even if they look like a bottom of bracket playoff seed.

Good news is despite all those turnovers, the Lakers still managed to win on the road.
DillonSD
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject:

2 back to back road wins against both talented teams. We didn't looks as consistent all season long last year as we have in this string of 5 wins.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: