Camping gear recommendations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:00 am    Post subject: Camping gear recommendations

Hey I know a lot of you LG'ers are really into hiking/camping. I've been researching gear and it's just too much information out there.

Anyone have recommendatoins for a sleeping bag and a tent? I'm looking for something really light. I don't plan on going anywhere too cold...maybe 20 F at the lowest. You guys that have seen me post about equipment of various sorts probably know how big of a "bang for the buck" type guy. I don't want to spend twice as much for 10% more performance for example.

Also, I bought a 3 day tactical bag intead of a hiking bag...was that a mistake?
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:40 am    Post subject:

If you're looking for the best bang for the buck, then go for REI branded gear. If you want to save about 10% over REI, then look at the MEC gear from Canada(Basically exactly the same stuff as REI)

If you're just entering into the camping game,then that's your best bet. REI is like Amazon in that they warranty and exchange their products without hassle or question, so you can't go wrong.

If you insist on"Name Brand" then:

Sleeping Bags : Marmot
Tents: The North Face
Sleeping Pads : Therm-A-Rest (This is one of the name brands worth spending xtra)
Stoves : MSR (Whatever you choose definitely go with multi-fuel)
Boots : Solomon (But you gotta try on all. Every foot is different. there is no universal choice here)

And one of the most important tools for comfortable camping is a simple candle lantern. It burns off all the condensation from your breath and helps keep your tent toasty warm.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:17 am    Post subject:

Awesome...diving in. To say this is out of my comfort zone is an understatement.

*edit* How about this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Marmot-Trestles-Cold-Weather-Sleeping-15-Degree/dp/B0037SFQJW/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=marmot+trestles&qid=1548153695&s=Sports+%26+Outdoors&sr=1-2
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject:

Second what Aussie said.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject:

http://www.marchi-mobile.com/palazzo-superior/
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject:

Just took this puppy out to Montana de Oro. It was chilly, certainly not cold, but I felt quite warm. Same drawstring as the one you posted, JB, but less expensive. Definitely good bang for buck. goes without saying to bring a blanket, i think. Also - get a solid camping pillow. Your neck will thank you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009PUSO4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Your bag should be fine. If you can return it, I'd recommend one of these:

[url=https://www.rei.com/product/118811/rei-co-op-big-haul-40-duffel?sku=1188110005&store=83&cm_mmc=PLA_Google_LIA|404_179042|1188110005|none|640f9a2c-2036-44b6-8761-b4214cf24205|aud-363396065244:pla-613145811752&lsft=cm_mmc:PLA_Google_LIA|404_179042|1188110005|none|640f9a2c-2036-44b6-8761-b4214cf24205&kclid=640f9a2c-2036-44b6-8761-b4214cf24205&gclid=Cj0KCQiAm5viBRD4ARIsADGUT27LFyHA2Emwwmu6iKFiVFFRhf7dMF-qyoXdS4TUwWsTkl910hxtVoEaAhDpEALw_wcB]Link to REI[/url]

Can work as a backpack too. Maybe get more than 40L though. 40L is enough to pack all your clothes and some gear for a couple days, but you'll definitely need another bag/backpack. if you get the 60L or 80L, you can fit everything you need. And when you go for a hike, just leave what you can behind in your car, and convert the sucker into a great backpack. Your bag might be fine, fyi, i just thought i'd pimp the bag i really like.

I'd second Aussie's tent suggestion; although, again, REI probably has a similar tent for cheaper. As to everything else (just general list, you and your crew probably have this, but just in case...): bring a patagonia zip-up or something similar; handwarmers are always clutch (can grab a bunch at REI for under 10$ while waiting to check out); lanterns/inflatable lights (link); bug spray/sunscreen both go without saying (although a campfire will keep most bugs away); canteen if you don't have one; grab some wool socks (also at REI for cheap); coolers with working latches (raccoons are smarter than you and will figure out a way in unless its locked); portable propane/cooker; pots/pans; good knife/hatchet (will come in handy if it's wet out; can aid in splitting your logs to get at the dry wood within, which you can then strip for kindling/tinder to get a fire going when it's too cold/wet otherwise); tarp, just in case it rains you may want to cover the fire at an angle (if possible, lots of campsites it's not feasible) (can also go under tent for extra cushioning).

I'll update this list, I think. just went camping so it's fresh. A lot of this is obvious and goes without saying, but i swear every time i get to a campsite there is always *something* that i find myself missing.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Awesome...diving in. To say this is out of my comfort zone is an understatement.

*edit* How about this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Marmot-Trestles-Cold-Weather-Sleeping-15-Degree/dp/B0037SFQJW/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=marmot+trestles&qid=1548153695&s=Sports+%26+Outdoors&sr=1-2

The Trestles line are good entry level bags that will last well. I'd suggest the Trestles "0" degree over the "15" degree since it's always better to have too much warmth than not enough. And for a $20 difference, that one time when you wished you were warmer, you'll be glad you spent the extra $20. Also, I'd suggest buying it directly from REI as opposed to Amazon. Clearly you'd have no problem returning it to Amazon if you had an issue, and they'd just send you a new one. The problem there is product lines change all the time with gear and often a manufacturer will eliminate certain products in their line and all too often it seems that your particular item is the one that's eliminated. Then you have the dilemma of deciding if their closest replacement meets your needs or desires. This is where Purchasing directly from REI comes into play. REI will service the warranty themselves, so you can have simple repairs done and keep the product that you're familiar and happy with. For sleeping bags, the biggest failure point is zippers, so it's advantageous to just be able to get that fixed for free at REi as opposed to going through the exchange process. And in the event that the particular product live is discontinued, REI will allow trading to a comparable product you like at full exchange value. And in the final analysis, with personal gear like sleeping bags, I think it's best to fit in person since we each have different body contours and while, let's say, the footroom of one bag works for me, it might not work for your longboard feet as well )

Here is the Marmot Trestles @ REI. I'd suggest taking a trip to one of their stores (They're all over SoCal) and hopping in a few different bags side by side.

The same caveat holds for Tents as well. Most common failures are zippers and pole elastics. A lot of people don't know that the inner elastic bands inside the tent poles can simply be replaced when they stretch out too much over time and use. You can simply take them back to REI and have them install new elastic cord, or you can buy an $8 roll from them and have it on hand to do yourself whenever needs (a very easy process that you'll master in under 15 minutes) Also, puchase a tube of seam sealant when you buy the tent and simply apply a bead to the seams every season and you'll remain confidently dry. VERY important to have a "Footprint" under your tent. As a newbie you don't neet to spring for the extra $$ to buy one that match your tent exactly as a simply Home Depot blue tarp will suffice as your barrier between your tent base and the ground. As you get more into it, you'll likely decide to purchase a fitted "footprint" just for the convenience and weight savings.

When starting out, especially in climates like SoCal, many folks when choose a 2 season tent over a 3 season tent. I generally council against this and tell folks to pay the extra 20-30% for the 3 season tent. 3 Season tents are more durable, but also give you the peace of mind that if you get "caught out in it" unexpectedly (kinda like all that rain you folks are getting down there now) you'll survive the episode in relative comfort. A 2 season tent would be miserable when crap hits the fan out of the blue.

Another mistake when starting out is giving in to the urge to buy the cheapest gear as opposed to quality gear. Quality gear will last, and when you add the cost of 1st purchase cheap gear, and it's inevitable replacement, you'll find that having purchased the quality unit up front would have actually saved you money. I've a 4 Season North Face VE-25 tent that I purchase in 1995 and it's still in perfect condition after all these years. I've also a 3 season North Face Perigrine tent that I purchased in 2001 and it's still performing strong as well. And if you're certain that conditions aren't likely to get extreme on an outing, you can comfortable ditch the tent alltogether and just carry a "Bivy Sack" which is essentially a waterproof sleeping bag cover protecting you and your bag/pad from the bugs and elements. There are also a bit more advance single person tents that are uber light but effective, but now we're getting ahead of ourselves )

So, again, best advice is to take a trip down to REI (Do yourself a favor and leave your wallet in the glove box when you first visit - as REI is equipped with these space age magnets that have a way of just sucking all the money out of your wallet ) Test fit gear side by side and figure out what you like. Then come back here and tell us what you think you liked most and we'll help provide some direction to slim down the choices.

Along with that candle lantern suggested earlier, one of these hats is a godsend. It'll keep you head warm and dry and it can't be overstate d just how important that is out in the elements. It's watertight and can even be used a a bowl for water, or as a holder for a Navy shower.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Wooo lot of take in. My friend mentioned base layers too? Tent/sleeping bag are the items that I'm struggling with. They're prices and such are all over the place.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject:

JB I can't overstate how much trekking poles help me. Even when I only brought one of them, the fatigue of an all day hike at elevation was about a billion times less intense than when I finished uphill hikes on my feet alone. They also help prevent falls on the way down. 2 sticks is preferable, 1 would be fine

aussie is right about thermarest pads. On my first test hike, I thought I could get by with a beefy-looking foam pad that I hastily bought on Amazon. Nope, might as well have been sleeping on the rocks bare back. I have a cheap inflatable one that's not nearly as good as my friend's inflatable thermarest that I tried.

Last edited by Huey Lewis & The News on Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Hi Jonny...

I am also in the process of looking for gear.

I think it is important to consider what type of camping you are going to do. Are you going to drive in to a spot? In that case, maybe you go for a heavier tent, sleeping bag, pad, etc. as you aren't going to be lugging them around.

But if you are backpacking (which is what I am planning for) then of course you really need to watch the weight of every single item you put in your pack.

It is said you should not have a pack above 20% of your body weight for backpacking, carrying even less weight is of course better. For me, that means I could do about a 40 pound pack but that sounds heavy.

Thus, for backpacking planning...the key items will be sleeping pad, sleeping bag, tent, cooking stove in that order.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
JB I can't overstate how much trekking poles help me. Even when I only brought one of them, the fatigue of an all day hike at elevation was about a billion times less intense than when I finished uphill hikes on my feet alone. They also help prevent falls on the way down. 2 sticks is preferable, 1 would be fine

aussie is right about thermarest pads. On my first hike, I thought I could get by with a beefy-looking foam pad that I hastily bought on Amazon. Nope, might as well have been sleeping on the rocks bare back. Get an inflatable thermarest.

Completely agree about hiking poles. I have an inexpensive set from Amazon that have been absolutely key on my hikes. Again, lighter is better whenever possible!
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Wooo lot of take in. My friend mentioned base layers too? Tent/sleeping bag are the items that I'm struggling with. They're prices and such are all over the place.

1) A good polypropylene base layer is excellent for body moisture control. The polypro wicks sweat away from your body through the material keeping the moisture off your body as you hike, thus keeping you comfortable. In recent years, many have made claims for "Smartwool" as being equal to poly-pro, but my experience differs. Some preference simple crew neck tops, but I've found that this type Stoic Mid 1/4" Top are more effective with overall body temp management since you can unzip as needed to get a bit more airflow. For SoCal, this linked top would work for 90% of what you'll ever be likely to encounter. They are also the perfect top to sleep in. If your plans are mostly for 3 season camping in SoCal, you don't really need a bottom base layer.

The following question will help with tent selection:

1) Guestimate how many times a year you're intending on using the tent over the next 3 years?

2) Give an idea of what your likely seasonal split might be? (ie, 80% summer 10% fall, 10% spring? or 50% summer, 50% spring - etc)

3) Do you think you'll be likely to camp in spots less than 2 miles from your vehicle, or more than 2 miles -most of the time?

4) Do you envision most of your camping in a campground, or in the wilderness?

After you give answers to the above, I'll narrow down 3 good tent choices. The Marmot Trestles, and North Face Cat's Meow, are both quality backpacking bags that you won't be disappointed with.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject:

I LOVE my Big Agnes sleeping bag/pad combo. It's basically like sleeping on an actual bed.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Two years ago I bought a Marmot Limelight Tent and it is quite awesome:

Link: https://www.rei.com/product/895809/marmot-limelight-2p-tent-with-footprint

If you are car camping and want the very best night's sleep, I highly recommend this sleeping pad (it's what I have):

https://www.thermarest.com/mattresses/camp-comfort/dreamtime

As for a sleeping bag, I use a Ledge fleece-lined 0-degree oversized bag. I have NEVER been cold in it and sleep like a king, mummy bags can make some people (like me) feel like you are in a straight-jacket and if you turn a lot at night (like me) you get all twisted up.

But there is a:
Ledge Sports Rocky Gap +0 F Degree XL Oversize Sleeping Bag (90 X 40) sitting on Amazon right now for $49, looks like it is flannel lined, but I'm sure it's awesome.

Or go to the Ledge site: they have the Big Horn (with Fleece) on sale for $89! LINK: http://ledgesports.com/product/big-horn-0/

I agree on the hiking poles, but read up and get some good ones, you can get cheapee ones for $25 @ Big 5...
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Can anyone recommend a cot? I go camping every year with my girls and every once in a while we get surprised with ridiculously cold weather (some places we have to book almost a year in advance). An air mattress is not the answer for that btw. In case anyone was wondering. Anyway, we have good sleeping bags and extra blankets, but like I said, sometimes we're just outmatched.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject:

Kelty makes some quality lightweight 3 season tents that can be set up in a couple of minutes. I bought one at REI and used it for 15 years.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:

aussie is right about thermarest pads. On my first hike, I thought I could get by with a beefy-looking foam pad that I hastily bought on Amazon. Nope, might as well have been sleeping on the rocks bare back. Get an inflatable thermarest.

Completely agree about hiking poles. I have an inexpensive set from Amazon that have been absolutely key on my hikes. Again, lighter is better whenever possible!

I defnitely am hoping to get some light gear. Just seems like all things being equal, the ultrtalight version is around 2-3x more in price.

As far as what type of hiking? My buddy's stomping ground is up in Bishop. They'll be hunting quail while I play around with my digital camera. We're also planning a major excursion to Utah late summer.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject:

I camp up out of Bishop every year, sometimes multiple times, beautiful area, very safe and somewhat close to town.

Up the 168, to South Lake, Lake Sabrina, North Lake and plenty of campgrounds up and down both forks of Bishop Creek...

Plus access to dozens and dozens of other streams and lakes in the back country...

If you are not back packing, you don't need and won't like ultra-light gear...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject:

We are doing the camping over Thanksgiving a little different this year, a 30-foot RV from Cruise America.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject:

based on some quick research, I would suggest a weapon, and partner that is considerably slower they yourself, or maybe just stay home for the weekend.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject:

I was camping up out of Bishop last weekend (Oct 11th) at 8000ft it was 24 degrees in the AM, pretty dang cold! I slept fine in the back of my 2019 Honda Passport, with my zero-degree rated sleeping bag...!

Fishing kinda sucked, but the Aspen leaves were changing color and I got some great shots with my camera gear...

It was clear, sunny and about 60 during the day, really nice...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: