China bans Houston Rockets over pro-Hong Kong tweet by Morey
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 29624

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Yao might be the only guy left to save the relationship between the NBA and China.


Perhaps, but he may not have much control.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 23815

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject:

Does this mean I have to burn my copies of Police Story and Police Story 2?
_________________
Running through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 29624

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Does this mean I have to burn my copies of Police Story and Police Story 2?


That is nothing but a load of Hong Kong phooey. It means you should upload them to Youtube and share with your facebook friends.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Dec 2011
Posts: 23509

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Does this mean I have to burn my copies of Police Story and Police Story 2?

Mr. Chan is apparently disliked in Hong Kong because they view him as a CCP puppet so you might be able to keep them around.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 33147

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Does this mean I have to burn my copies of Police Story and Police Story 2?


You can keep those....The Great Wall, now thats an atrocity that should never be seen again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 23815

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Does this mean I have to burn my copies of Police Story and Police Story 2?


You can keep those....The Great Wall, now thats an atrocity that should never be seen again.

My man Zhang Yimou's still in filmmaker prison for not kowtowing the party line under Deng.
_________________
Running through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 23815

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Does this mean I have to burn my copies of Police Story and Police Story 2?

Mr. Chan is apparently disliked in Hong Kong because they view him as a CCP puppet so you might be able to keep them around.

The problem is I want to support the Hong Kong protests and Mr. Chan's wonderful filmography. Dilemmas...
_________________
Running through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 30567

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
This reminds me of a series of posts I made from the earliest days of lakersground.com. Back then many of my HK friends were happy at being part of the People's Republic of China, as they didn't want to be a UK colony. The latter was more than understandable; the former was just an idealistic craving. I spent time in both the PRC and HK, and as I told my HK friends, they had very little in common with the PRC, other than a degree of Han ethnicity. They had no idea how their lives would change, and more importantly, how the lives of their children would be vastly different.

Well that day is here. The older generation as a whole feels ambivalence towards Beijing, and simply wants commerce to continue uninterupted. The younger generation yearns for freedom from Beijing. It isn't just the heavy handed nature of Beijing, they've learned from "Big Green" tourists and their own visits to the mainland that they have precious little in common with them. They also know that their lives and prospects will be worse than their parent's generation, and that contributes to the frustration. In essence, they culturally identify with being Hong Kong, distinct and special in their own right, and want a voice in determining their own future, with their own government.


thanks for the insight. How much time have you spent there?



In HK, almost three decades off and on. Business in the PRC, maybe five plus years in Beijing and the hinterlands.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 135034
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Yao might be the only guy left to save the relationship between the NBA and China.


Word is that Yao was pissed at Morey
_________________
Cardinals magic number is 2020
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 26 Aug 2012
Posts: 659

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject:

The question is what was Darryl Morey thinking? The guy is no moron, surely he has to know that this would anger an authoritarian state like China?

China generates $4 billion in revenue for the NBA. More people in China watched the NBA Finals than in the US. That definitely plays a significant part of NBA salaries rising. I guarantee the vast majority of NBA players do not want to give any of that back.

Almost everyone does business with countries like China, Israel, and Saudi Arabia, countries that aren't known to be bastions of human rights.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 29624

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/gifdsports/status/1182290925109891073
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 May 2013
Posts: 5834

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
https://twitter.com/gifdsports/status/1182290925109891073


these kind of reporting is so biased. U.S. allies in middle east and India are doing far more dehumanizing things to their women, but yet, not a peep from our media. chinese ain't stupid, if you adopt double standards against them, they will unite and be even more defiant against the U.S.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 29624

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
https://twitter.com/gifdsports/status/1182290925109891073


these kind of reporting is so biased. U.S. allies in middle east and India are doing far more dehumanizing things to their women, but yet, not a peep from our media. chinese ain't stupid, if you adopt double standards against them, they will unite and be even more defiant against the U.S.


True, but the NBA isn't heavily invested in those countries. Wonder how long they'll be censoring questions related to China. Tough spot for the players to be in.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Apr 2006
Posts: 3078
Location: Portugal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
This reminds me of a series of posts I made from the earliest days of lakersground.com. Back then many of my HK friends were happy at being part of the People's Republic of China, as they didn't want to be a UK colony. The latter was more than understandable; the former was just an idealistic craving. I spent time in both the PRC and HK, and as I told my HK friends, they had very little in common with the PRC, other than a degree of Han ethnicity. They had no idea how their lives would change, and more importantly, how the lives of their children would be vastly different.

Well that day is here. The older generation as a whole feels ambivalence towards Beijing, and simply wants commerce to continue uninterupted. The younger generation yearns for freedom from Beijing. It isn't just the heavy handed nature of Beijing, they've learned from "Big Green" tourists and their own visits to the mainland that they have precious little in common with them. They also know that their lives and prospects will be worse than their parent's generation, and that contributes to the frustration. In essence, they culturally identify with being Hong Kong, distinct and special in their own right, and want a voice in determining their own future, with their own government.


thanks for the insight. How much time have you spent there?



In HK, almost three decades off and on. Business in the PRC, maybe five plus years in Beijing and the hinterlands.


Been in both sides, once, on a tourist trip.
People's faces may look similar to the western eye, but everything else is a world apart.
Same goes for Macau.
_________________
-----------------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/NBAMadeira
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 33147

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject:

carlosLisboa wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
This reminds me of a series of posts I made from the earliest days of lakersground.com. Back then many of my HK friends were happy at being part of the People's Republic of China, as they didn't want to be a UK colony. The latter was more than understandable; the former was just an idealistic craving. I spent time in both the PRC and HK, and as I told my HK friends, they had very little in common with the PRC, other than a degree of Han ethnicity. They had no idea how their lives would change, and more importantly, how the lives of their children would be vastly different.

Well that day is here. The older generation as a whole feels ambivalence towards Beijing, and simply wants commerce to continue uninterupted. The younger generation yearns for freedom from Beijing. It isn't just the heavy handed nature of Beijing, they've learned from "Big Green" tourists and their own visits to the mainland that they have precious little in common with them. They also know that their lives and prospects will be worse than their parent's generation, and that contributes to the frustration. In essence, they culturally identify with being Hong Kong, distinct and special in their own right, and want a voice in determining their own future, with their own government.


thanks for the insight. How much time have you spent there?



In HK, almost three decades off and on. Business in the PRC, maybe five plus years in Beijing and the hinterlands.


Been in both sides, once, on a tourist trip.
People's faces may look similar to the western eye, but everything else is a world apart.
Same goes for Macau.


Yep, same people, polar opposites when it comes to thought processes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 23815

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1182092911061688321
_________________
Running through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Dec 2011
Posts: 23509

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:50 pm    Post subject:

SportsbyBrooks (alive?!) tweeted a Steve Kerr soundbite:
https://twitter.com/SportsbyBrooks/status/1182756945398124544

Steve Kerr 2019 wrote:
Reporter to Steve Kerr: "Do you believe Daryl Morey shouldn’t be fired over something like this?"

Kerr: "I’d hope you’d appreciate my right to not answer that question. Because all it does it create a headline and a soundbite. I choose not to be a soundbite tonight." h/t @KNBR



Flashback to 2017:
Steve Kerr 2017 wrote:
"If you look at the history of the world, the biggest problems come when people don't speak."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 13944

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
SportsbyBrooks (alive?!) tweeted a Steve Kerr soundbite:
https://twitter.com/SportsbyBrooks/status/1182756945398124544

Steve Kerr 2019 wrote:
Reporter to Steve Kerr: "Do you believe Daryl Morey shouldn’t be fired over something like this?"

Kerr: "I’d hope you’d appreciate my right to not answer that question. Because all it does it create a headline and a soundbite. I choose not to be a soundbite tonight." h/t @KNBR



Flashback to 2017:
Steve Kerr 2017 wrote:
"If you look at the history of the world, the biggest problems come when people don't speak."


Honestly, sounds like Kerr was told to say that by his higher up
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 13944

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Ted Cruz in HK... what y’all think?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
seccom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 411

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject:

The best comment that I found from the main form is the following (written by Huey Lewis):

Quote:
It's really not that complicated. If you're licking the CCP's boots, you want outsiders to perceive the issue as a complicated one so as to discourage them from arriving from the most apparent conclusions too quickly.


It is too bad that LG don't have a upvote and downvote. The discussion in the main forum is completed hijacked by the 50 cents Army.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 18281

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
K2 wrote:
SportsbyBrooks (alive?!) tweeted a Steve Kerr soundbite:
https://twitter.com/SportsbyBrooks/status/1182756945398124544

Steve Kerr 2019 wrote:
Reporter to Steve Kerr: "Do you believe Daryl Morey shouldn’t be fired over something like this?"

Kerr: "I’d hope you’d appreciate my right to not answer that question. Because all it does it create a headline and a soundbite. I choose not to be a soundbite tonight." h/t @KNBR



Flashback to 2017:
Steve Kerr 2017 wrote:
"If you look at the history of the world, the biggest problems come when people don't speak."


Honestly, sounds like Kerr was told to say that by his higher up


He doesn't need to be told. It's obvious and he probably didn't want to bring a bunch of unnecessary attention upon the Warriors.
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL
SEDALE TRIBUTE
EDDIE DONX!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
seccom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 411

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject:

1. Speech in US against US issue, no political prosecution, some financial consequence in some situation. (Kerr against Trump)

2. Speech in US against CCP issue, no US political prosecution, minor financial consequence if the speaker has no financial tie to PRC. (South Park)

3. Speech in US against CCP issue, no US political prosecution, major financial consequence if the speaker has financial tie to PRC. (NBA)

4. Suppress free speech in US against CCP issue, no CCP and US political prosecution, some financial consequence if the speaker has financial tie to US. (Kerr not speak up against CCP)

5. Speech in PRC against CCP issue, imprisonment or death.

Too bad, so many people in the NBA choose #4.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 38014
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Ohm Youngmisuk
ESPN Staff Writer

LeBron James said "only time will tell" what the ramifications and fallout will be over the situation between China and the NBA. James also said that any concerns the players had over Daryl Morey's tweet should stay behind closed doors. James did say that he didn't think Morey was educated on the situation before tweeting and that everyone should be careful before speaking and tweeting. He says that he believes Morey was misinformed or not educated before he tweeted.


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 3625

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Quote:
Ohm Youngmisuk
ESPN Staff Writer

LeBron James said "only time will tell" what the ramifications and fallout will be over the situation between China and the NBA. James also said that any concerns the players had over Daryl Morey's tweet should stay behind closed doors. James did say that he didn't think Morey was educated on the situation before tweeting and that everyone should be careful before speaking and tweeting. He says that he believes Morey was misinformed or not educated before he tweeted.




Yeah, I'm done with the Lakers until Bron is gone. Haven't watched any pre season games until tonight and then I read this article and decided to change channels.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 29624

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Well, I was wondering what he was gonna say. Honestly didn't expect him to be so one-sided and that side being pro-censorship.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB