Lakers vs Nets games in China might get canceled (update: leaning towards letting Nets/Lakers play)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 1274

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Darryl Morey isn't the Rockets, the NBA, or United States. How independent are CCTV and TenCent from Central Committee decisionmaking?



why dose this matter?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 33051

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
drae wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

They made a mountain out of a molehill....I doubt much people especially those stateside thought much of Morey's comments in the USA, but because of the vast censorship of topics detrimental to the CCP in China, they decided to utilize a nuclear option to penalize his team and the NBA. When the mainstream media caught wind of it, news spread to every outlet around the globe and brought awareness to people especially sports fans about HK. So while the actions satisfied their audience at home, it backfired around the globe.


No, something happened. Silver was meeting with Chinese reps and Trump has an ongoing brutal trade negotiation with China, so someone did something.


Oh, they know how it blew up in the mainstream media. The higher ups have open access to internet that the rest of the population don't. When something like that pops up on the front page of foreign news press they would rather temper down the news so it doesn't get their attention.


Just like they cared oh so much what was being reported by the overseas press when they were grabbing all the territory in the South China Sea. Or at any other point in the past decade when they found themselves at odds with opinion in the international community ... and just didn't care


Sure they did....they waved $$$$ in front of those who could be bought (Duerete) or threatened companies (oil companies trying to drill oil for other countries) to cause them not to make a ruckus.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
drae
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Nov 2018
Posts: 6101

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
drae wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
drae wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

They made a mountain out of a molehill....I doubt much people especially those stateside thought much of Morey's comments in the USA, but because of the vast censorship of topics detrimental to the CCP in China, they decided to utilize a nuclear option to penalize his team and the NBA. When the mainstream media caught wind of it, news spread to every outlet around the globe and brought awareness to people especially sports fans about HK. So while the actions satisfied their audience at home, it backfired around the globe.


No, something happened. Silver was meeting with Chinese reps and Trump has an ongoing brutal trade negotiation with China, so someone did something.


Oh, they know how it blew up in the mainstream media. The higher ups have open access to internet that the rest of the population don't. When something like that pops up on the front page of foreign news press they would rather temper down the news so it doesn't get their attention.


Just like they cared oh so much what was being reported by the overseas press when they were grabbing all the territory in the South China Sea. Or at any other point in the past decade when they found themselves at odds with opinion in the international community ... and just didn't care


Sure they did....they waved $$$$ in front of those who could be bought (Duerete) and the opposition waned.


Vietnam is still bitterly opposed and has been advised to "sue China in the international court", and has funnily enough driven Vietnam closer to America. And the bad press continues to go on.

I wouldn't say opposition has waned so much as everybody now realizes nothing can be done.

This is a power move by China, they intimidate corporations who do business with them including Apple and (like someone else pointed out) Blizzard. Every time something like this happens China calls them out, bad press or no. They combat bad overseas press with controlled propaganda at home. If China is tampering down their propaganda something happened with Trump or Silver.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pjiddy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 23357
Location: North Hollywood

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
drae wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
governator wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
The Chinese government pumps the brakes:
Quote:
Sopan Deb
@SopanDeb
Wow. The Chinese government is now moving to **tamp down** on anger against the NBA on the mainland.

A de-escalation appears underway.
https://nyti.ms/326XmNN

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/1182381750481240067

I wonder what Silver promised? Or Trump...?


hmm, maybe the chinese govt doesn't have all the leverage


Or China realizes they want less attention on the issue. They prefer overall American ignorance of the situation vs a LeBron speaking up against it and putting a spotlight on their violent despotism.


China doesn't care what overseas press think about them. They have control over the press at home which will fan domestic Nationalism, and they have gradually increasing power they're not shy about flinging around.


They don't care what overseas press thinks, only what Darryl Morey tweets. Makes tons of sense.


Morey isn't overseas press. He's an integral part of a team that enjoys a lot of benefits in China, and a part of a league which also enjoys a lot of benefits from China, benefits China has shown they can remove at a moments notice.


Lol ok dude. China damned near cancelled the NBA over a Morey tweet. I said what if someone like LeBron says something? You say meh, overseas press doesnt matter. So they were more upset about Morey not showing more appreciation for some vague benefits the Rockets enjoy? Is logical gymnastics an Olympic event? This has been clearly, all along, been about China controlling their optics. You have no clue what you're talking about if you think China doesn't care about how they're perceived globally.

Walking this back would have nothing to do with Silver making some under the table promise (what would that be? Promising to secretly censor all NBA employees?). They realized they've called way more attention to this than they needed to and that they could be daring someone with even more clout than Morey speaking out against them. They want the "both sides" or "it's a complicated situation" narrative to persist, not a "China is the bad guy." If they really didn't care about optics, the Chinese military would have been there weeks ago.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pjiddy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 23357
Location: North Hollywood

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Lol @Trump promising something. Like this dude wants to save a league full of people who criticize him. There's nothing he does that he doesn't crow about on Twitter. Dude bragged about saving Liangelo Ball, but he'll make a secret deal to save the NBA in China? Someone call Drae an Uber.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 23708

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Darryl Morey isn't the Rockets, the NBA, or United States. How independent are CCTV and TenCent from Central Committee decisionmaking?



why dose this matter?

Just pointing out the asymmetry.
_________________
Running through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 23708

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject:

[Deleted. -CL]
_________________
Running through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 33051

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
drae wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
drae wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

They made a mountain out of a molehill....I doubt much people especially those stateside thought much of Morey's comments in the USA, but because of the vast censorship of topics detrimental to the CCP in China, they decided to utilize a nuclear option to penalize his team and the NBA. When the mainstream media caught wind of it, news spread to every outlet around the globe and brought awareness to people especially sports fans about HK. So while the actions satisfied their audience at home, it backfired around the globe.


No, something happened. Silver was meeting with Chinese reps and Trump has an ongoing brutal trade negotiation with China, so someone did something.


Oh, they know how it blew up in the mainstream media. The higher ups have open access to internet that the rest of the population don't. When something like that pops up on the front page of foreign news press they would rather temper down the news so it doesn't get their attention.


Just like they cared oh so much what was being reported by the overseas press when they were grabbing all the territory in the South China Sea. Or at any other point in the past decade when they found themselves at odds with opinion in the international community ... and just didn't care


Sure they did....they waved $$$$ in front of those who could be bought (Duerete) and the opposition waned.


Vietnam is still bitterly opposed and has been advised to "sue China in the international court", and has funnily enough driven Vietnam closer to America. And the bad press continues to go on.

I wouldn't say opposition has waned so much as everybody now realizes nothing can be done.

This is a power move by China, they intimidate corporations who do business with them including Apple and (like someone else pointed out) Blizzard. Every time something like this happens China calls them out, bad press or no. They combat bad overseas press with controlled propaganda at home. If China is tampering down their propaganda something happened with Trump or Silver.


But there are a lot of actors other than Vietnam that can air their grievances to China. Look at the map of their neighbors. They haven't because their diplomats have summoned the diplomats of those other countries that there will be repercussions if they push this issue. This is how you stop something in its tracks and the press won't even know anything about it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 1274

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Darryl Morey isn't the Rockets, the NBA, or United States. How independent are CCTV and TenCent from Central Committee decisionmaking?



why dose this matter?

Just pointing out the asymmetry.


sure, tencent and cctv will obediently follow instructions if they are given.

rockets and nba will take congressional input into consideration.

different countries, different approach.

upsides to both

downsides to both
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 1274

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Lol @Trump promising something. Like this dude wants to save a league full of people who criticize him. There's nothing he does that he doesn't crow about on Twitter. Dude bragged about saving Liangelo Ball, but he'll make a secret deal to save the NBA in China? Someone call Drae an Uber.

I'm sure Adam Silver likes his tax breaks, but he doesn't scream Trump campaign donor, does he?


i would be shocked if adam silver does not give campaign contributions to both parties.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
drae
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Nov 2018
Posts: 6101

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
drae wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
drae wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
governator wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
The Chinese government pumps the brakes:
Quote:
Sopan Deb
@SopanDeb
Wow. The Chinese government is now moving to **tamp down** on anger against the NBA on the mainland.

A de-escalation appears underway.
https://nyti.ms/326XmNN

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/1182381750481240067

I wonder what Silver promised? Or Trump...?


hmm, maybe the chinese govt doesn't have all the leverage


Or China realizes they want less attention on the issue. They prefer overall American ignorance of the situation vs a LeBron speaking up against it and putting a spotlight on their violent despotism.


China doesn't care what overseas press think about them. They have control over the press at home which will fan domestic Nationalism, and they have gradually increasing power they're not shy about flinging around.


They don't care what overseas press thinks, only what Darryl Morey tweets. Makes tons of sense.


Morey isn't overseas press. He's an integral part of a team that enjoys a lot of benefits in China, and a part of a league which also enjoys a lot of benefits from China, benefits China has shown they can remove at a moments notice.


Lol ok dude. China damned near cancelled the NBA over a Morey tweet. I said what if someone like LeBron says something? You say meh, overseas press doesnt matter. So they were more upset about Morey not showing more appreciation for some vague benefits the Rockets enjoy? Is logical gymnastics an Olympic event? This has been clearly, all along, been about China controlling their optics. You have no clue what you're talking about if you think China doesn't care about how they're perceived globally.

Walking this back would have nothing to do with Silver making some under the table promise (what would that be? Promising to secretly censor all NBA employees?). They realized they've called way more attention to this than they needed to and that they could be daring someone with even more clout than Morey speaking out against them. They want the "both sides" or "it's a complicated situation" narrative to persist, not a "China is the bad guy." If they really didn't care about optics, the Chinese military would have been there weeks ago.


I wouldn't have said "overseas press doesn't matter" to Lebron saying something. Lebron wouldn't say something, not when he's in the firing line in China. Not only would it kill his huge business in China, you have to understand China is very nationalistic and I'd be worried about his safety.

When Chinese and Japan were having spats over the Senkaku islands (along with Korea) nationalistic sentiments were again flared to the point where tens or hundreds of millions of dollars of damage was done to Japanese businesses all the way through China. Of which there was plenty of press coverage but once again China didn't care.

As for controlling optics, China has been bashed for the past six months concerning Hong Kong, because that's how long the protests have been going on for. Has China lashed out at anybody in the West? No. Why? Because they don't care. But they did lash out at the NBA, at Apple, and they controlled Blizzard.

And of course they're upset more at the Morey tweet.

If you think this has anything to do with foreign optics, show me where China has sought to control the reporting of the Hong Kong situation in foreign newspapers? This isn't about optics, it's about control. Optics are for people who need to be viewed better so they can get elected, nobody elects anybody in China.

The Chinese military won't go into China because that damages stability, which damages investment, which affects their money.

Silver or Trump would have offered China a deal. And of course I have no clue what that is, but it'd be there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
drae
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Nov 2018
Posts: 6101

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
drae wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
drae wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
drae wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

They made a mountain out of a molehill....I doubt much people especially those stateside thought much of Morey's comments in the USA, but because of the vast censorship of topics detrimental to the CCP in China, they decided to utilize a nuclear option to penalize his team and the NBA. When the mainstream media caught wind of it, news spread to every outlet around the globe and brought awareness to people especially sports fans about HK. So while the actions satisfied their audience at home, it backfired around the globe.


No, something happened. Silver was meeting with Chinese reps and Trump has an ongoing brutal trade negotiation with China, so someone did something.


Oh, they know how it blew up in the mainstream media. The higher ups have open access to internet that the rest of the population don't. When something like that pops up on the front page of foreign news press they would rather temper down the news so it doesn't get their attention.


Just like they cared oh so much what was being reported by the overseas press when they were grabbing all the territory in the South China Sea. Or at any other point in the past decade when they found themselves at odds with opinion in the international community ... and just didn't care


Sure they did....they waved $$$$ in front of those who could be bought (Duerete) and the opposition waned.


Vietnam is still bitterly opposed and has been advised to "sue China in the international court", and has funnily enough driven Vietnam closer to America. And the bad press continues to go on.

I wouldn't say opposition has waned so much as everybody now realizes nothing can be done.

This is a power move by China, they intimidate corporations who do business with them including Apple and (like someone else pointed out) Blizzard. Every time something like this happens China calls them out, bad press or no. They combat bad overseas press with controlled propaganda at home. If China is tampering down their propaganda something happened with Trump or Silver.


But there are a lot of actors other than Vietnam that can air their grievances to China. Look at the map of their neighbors. They haven't because their diplomats have summoned the diplomats of those other countries that there will be repercussions if they push this issue. This is how you stop something in its tracks and the press won't even know anything about it.


They have.

They were ignored.

Then the whole Sea was militarized and it doesn't matter anymore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 1274

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
drae wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
drae wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
governator wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
The Chinese government pumps the brakes:
Quote:
Sopan Deb
@SopanDeb
Wow. The Chinese government is now moving to **tamp down** on anger against the NBA on the mainland.

A de-escalation appears underway.
https://nyti.ms/326XmNN

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/1182381750481240067

I wonder what Silver promised? Or Trump...?


hmm, maybe the chinese govt doesn't have all the leverage


Or China realizes they want less attention on the issue. They prefer overall American ignorance of the situation vs a LeBron speaking up against it and putting a spotlight on their violent despotism.


China doesn't care what overseas press think about them. They have control over the press at home which will fan domestic Nationalism, and they have gradually increasing power they're not shy about flinging around.


They don't care what overseas press thinks, only what Darryl Morey tweets. Makes tons of sense.


Morey isn't overseas press. He's an integral part of a team that enjoys a lot of benefits in China, and a part of a league which also enjoys a lot of benefits from China, benefits China has shown they can remove at a moments notice.


Lol ok dude. China damned near cancelled the NBA over a Morey tweet. I said what if someone like LeBron says something? You say meh, overseas press doesnt matter. So they were more upset about Morey not showing more appreciation for some vague benefits the Rockets enjoy? Is logical gymnastics an Olympic event? This has been clearly, all along, been about China controlling their optics. You have no clue what you're talking about if you think China doesn't care about how they're perceived globally.

Walking this back would have nothing to do with Silver making some under the table promise (what would that be? Promising to secretly censor all NBA employees?). They realized they've called way more attention to this than they needed to and that they could be daring someone with even more clout than Morey speaking out against them. They want the "both sides" or "it's a complicated situation" narrative to persist, not a "China is the bad guy." If they really didn't care about optics, the Chinese military would have been there weeks ago.


I wouldn't have said "overseas press doesn't matter" to Lebron saying something. Lebron wouldn't say something, not when he's in the firing line in China. Not only would it kill his huge business in China, you have to understand China is very nationalistic and I'd be worried about his safety.

When Chinese and Japan were having spats over the Senkaku islands (along with Korea) nationalistic sentiments were again flared to the point where tens or hundreds of millions of dollars of damage was done to Japanese businesses all the way through China. Of which there was plenty of press coverage but once again China didn't care.

As for controlling optics, China has been bashed for the past six months concerning Hong Kong, because that's how long the protests have been going on for. Has China lashed out at anybody in the West? No. Why? Because they don't care. But they did lash out at the NBA, at Apple, and they controlled Blizzard.

And of course they're upset more at the Morey tweet.

If you think this has anything to do with foreign optics, show me where China has sought to control the reporting of the Hong Kong situation in foreign newspapers? This isn't about optics, it's about control. Optics are for people who need to be viewed better so they can get elected, nobody elects anybody in China.

The Chinese military won't go into China because that damages stability, which damages investment, which affects their money.

Silver or Trump would have offered China a deal. And of course I have no clue what that is, but it'd be there.


i think what you mean is not china does not care about what foreign press says. i think it is more like china is willing to take criticism from foreign press if something is important enough to them - whether that is those islands, hong kong, tibet, muslim threat or whatever else. and that they are willing to take a lot of criticism when most countries would have backed down since they will have no domestic discontent.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
drae
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Nov 2018
Posts: 6101

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
and that they are willing to take a lot of criticism when most countries would have backed down since they will have no domestic discontent.


That's true. I mean, the whole world is at them over the Dalai Lama fiasco and what do they do? Pressure everybody including world leaders to not meet the Dalai Lama
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 1274

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
and that they are willing to take a lot of criticism when most countries would have backed down since they will have no domestic discontent.


That's true. I mean, the whole world is at them over the Dalai Lama fiasco and what do they do? Pressure everybody including world leaders to not meet the Dalai Lama


well this has certainly been an interesting topic. i did not expect to get so into this but it is good to see what others think...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
drae
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Nov 2018
Posts: 6101

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
drae wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
and that they are willing to take a lot of criticism when most countries would have backed down since they will have no domestic discontent.


That's true. I mean, the whole world is at them over the Dalai Lama fiasco and what do they do? Pressure everybody including world leaders to not meet the Dalai Lama


well this has certainly been an interesting topic. i did not expect to get so into this but it is good to see what others think...


Eh, it's more a tragic topic. Hong Kong won't win this fight ... well, they've already "won" because they had the extradition bill withdrawn, but for freedoms and democracy? Nah, they won't win it, it's a losing struggle for them.

So why did the NBA have to get involved? It's a losing struggle for them too... or right, it was just Morey.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 1274

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
drae wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
and that they are willing to take a lot of criticism when most countries would have backed down since they will have no domestic discontent.


That's true. I mean, the whole world is at them over the Dalai Lama fiasco and what do they do? Pressure everybody including world leaders to not meet the Dalai Lama


well this has certainly been an interesting topic. i did not expect to get so into this but it is good to see what others think...


Eh, it's more a tragic topic. Hong Kong won't win this fight ... well, they've already "won" because they had the extradition bill withdrawn, but for freedoms and democracy? Nah, they won't win it, it's a losing struggle for them.

So why did the NBA have to get involved? It's a losing struggle for them too... or right, it was just Morey.


tragic for people in hong kong, absolutely and they are totally innocent as they will lose a lot of rights and privileged after this. heck, i dont know if LG will be available in hong kong after this mess, but probably so.

tragic for those protestors/rioters, absolutely absolutely, but they pushed for it.

sad for rockets, yes, but a net gain for the lakers.

sad for morey, but he earned it with his big mouth and he may be enjoying a long vacation soon after probably resigning in a few months.

but it is interesting to talk about....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
realking24
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 2203

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Once again when it really counts to standing up to oppression and to a country that currently oppressed their own people the NBA and players move on like nothing happened or blame Trump. When these actors or so called celebrities calls for action against oppression or want your vote or whatever the next cause is that actually makes them money “ambulance chasers causes” call for us to stand and fight for equality it absolutely should make you at least question motives, how much money they will make and how full of (bleep) most of them are because they all had a moment to speak up against Real inequality and flat out face plantted. If it hurts the pocket book then look the other way that’s what the true message is. Luckily I watch basketball for sport and don’t give two (bleep) of their personal life time except great health and success and I feel that about everyone else
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 4561

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject:

realking24 wrote:
Once again when it really counts to standing up to oppression and to a country that currently oppressed their own people the NBA and players move on like nothing happened or blame Trump. When these actors or so called celebrities calls for action against oppression or want your vote or whatever the next cause is that actually makes them money “ambulance chasers causes” call for us to stand and fight for equality it absolutely should make you at least question motives, how much money they will make and how full of (bleep) most of them are because they all had a moment to speak up against Real inequality and flat out face plantted. If it hurts the pocket book then look the other way that’s what the true message is. Luckily I watch basketball for sport and don’t give two (bleep) of their personal life time except great health and success and I feel that about everyone else


Amen!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 23708

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
drae wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
drae wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
drae wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

They made a mountain out of a molehill....I doubt much people especially those stateside thought much of Morey's comments in the USA, but because of the vast censorship of topics detrimental to the CCP in China, they decided to utilize a nuclear option to penalize his team and the NBA. When the mainstream media caught wind of it, news spread to every outlet around the globe and brought awareness to people especially sports fans about HK. So while the actions satisfied their audience at home, it backfired around the globe.


No, something happened. Silver was meeting with Chinese reps and Trump has an ongoing brutal trade negotiation with China, so someone did something.


Oh, they know how it blew up in the mainstream media. The higher ups have open access to internet that the rest of the population don't. When something like that pops up on the front page of foreign news press they would rather temper down the news so it doesn't get their attention.


Just like they cared oh so much what was being reported by the overseas press when they were grabbing all the territory in the South China Sea. Or at any other point in the past decade when they found themselves at odds with opinion in the international community ... and just didn't care


Sure they did....they waved $$$$ in front of those who could be bought (Duerete) and the opposition waned.


Vietnam is still bitterly opposed and has been advised to "sue China in the international court", and has funnily enough driven Vietnam closer to America. And the bad press continues to go on.

I wouldn't say opposition has waned so much as everybody now realizes nothing can be done.

This is a power move by China, they intimidate corporations who do business with them including Apple and (like someone else pointed out) Blizzard. Every time something like this happens China calls them out, bad press or no. They combat bad overseas press with controlled propaganda at home. If China is tampering down their propaganda something happened with Trump or Silver.


But there are a lot of actors other than Vietnam that can air their grievances to China. Look at the map of their neighbors. They haven't because their diplomats have summoned the diplomats of those other countries that there will be repercussions if they push this issue. This is how you stop something in its tracks and the press won't even know anything about it.


They have.

They were ignored.

Then the whole Sea was militarized and it doesn't matter anymore.

You're my kind of nihilist.
_________________
Running through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 23708

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject:

realking24 wrote:
Once again when it really counts to standing up to oppression and to a country that currently oppressed their own people the NBA and players move on like nothing happened or blame Trump. When these actors or so called celebrities calls for action against oppression or want your vote or whatever the next cause is that actually makes them money “ambulance chasers causes” call for us to stand and fight for equality it absolutely should make you at least question motives, how much money they will make and how full of (bleep) most of them are because they all had a moment to speak up against Real inequality and flat out face plantted. If it hurts the pocket book then look the other way that’s what the true message is. Luckily I watch basketball for sport and don’t give two (bleep) of their personal life time except great health and success and I feel that about everyone else

I'm sympathetic to this take, but also...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=mzbFRzna-t8
_________________
Running through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 04 Aug 2019
Posts: 1628

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
realking24 wrote:
Once again when it really counts to standing up to oppression and to a country that currently oppressed their own people the NBA and players move on like nothing happened or blame Trump. When these actors or so called celebrities calls for action against oppression or want your vote or whatever the next cause is that actually makes them money “ambulance chasers causes” call for us to stand and fight for equality it absolutely should make you at least question motives, how much money they will make and how full of (bleep) most of them are because they all had a moment to speak up against Real inequality and flat out face plantted. If it hurts the pocket book then look the other way that’s what the true message is. Luckily I watch basketball for sport and don’t give two (bleep) of their personal life time except great health and success and I feel that about everyone else


Amen!


👍
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pjiddy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 23357
Location: North Hollywood

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject:

From the NYtimes, but already reported by the Pjiddy Times

https://ibb.co/XDms6mn
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
maomao
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 05 Jan 2015
Posts: 741

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject:

I think only the rockets will be banned. Most sponsors will be gone. Rockets discussion boards are closed and people are no longer selling rockets merchandise.

What's funny is that the Chinese rocket fans are now trolling and shaming other Chinese NBA fans (mostly Lakers fan) for obvious reasons.

NBA fans and owners are the losers. And you know who's the only winner out of this? Morey himself. Watch him get into politics in the future.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 23708

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject:

maomao wrote:
I think only the rockets will be banned. Most sponsors will be gone. Rockets discussion boards are closed and people are no longer selling rockets merchandise.

What's funny is that the Chinese rocket fans are now trolling and shaming other Chinese NBA fans (mostly Lakers fan) for obvious reasons.

NBA fans and owners are the losers. And you know who's the only winner out of this? Morey himself. Watch him get into politics in the future.

NBA fans in China seem just fine. I'm an NBA fan and I'm doing just fine. Any NBA fans here feel like losers given this week's events?*


* not in general
_________________
Running through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 25 of 38
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB