Lakers vs Nets games in China might get canceled (update: leaning towards letting Nets/Lakers play)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

Paint thinner has been used the world over in so-called "humanitarian" molotov (bleep) because they are less harmful than petrol bombs.

I want Lebron to feel free to speak his mind. I assume he is and has decided not to speak up via other avenues. But the NBA shutting down all post game interviews to "protect" their athletes is infantilizing and kowtowing to external political pressure to protect their bottom line. Not illegal in the U.S., but it is ugly and hopefully contributes to the conversation about U.S. economic policy toward China, foundational neoliberal theories of globalization, the role of sports diplomacy, and the fundamental amorality of our global plutocratic class and how their interests align with oppressive regimes around the world.

yes i see that

you are a true communist and a militant one at that.
no wonder you are pissed at the chinese communist party, as they had 'lost their way' having gone polar opposite to become the most capitalist place on the planet.

You like fascists and distrust the fourth estate and the right to public assembly when it doesn't adhere towards licking the boots of those in power

As an aside, you'd think the "most capitalist place on the planet" would have the AEI stamp of approval. Poor Derek Scissors just had a minor seizure after you put that comment out into the ether.

i guess to communist militants, public assembly includes throwing gasoline bombs, beating people who disagree with them and attacking the police.

for-profit companies go to where the capitalist opportunities are. do you think companies care what a think tank says, conservative or liberal? political agendas only complicate matters and waste resources.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

Paint thinner has been used the world over in so-called "humanitarian" molotov (bleep) because they are less harmful than petrol bombs.

I want Lebron to feel free to speak his mind. I assume he is and has decided not to speak up via other avenues. But the NBA shutting down all post game interviews to "protect" their athletes is infantilizing and kowtowing to external political pressure to protect their bottom line. Not illegal in the U.S., but it is ugly and hopefully contributes to the conversation about U.S. economic policy toward China, foundational neoliberal theories of globalization, the role of sports diplomacy, and the fundamental amorality of our global plutocratic class and how their interests align with oppressive regimes around the world.

yes i see that

no wonder you are pissed at the chinese communist party, as they had 'lost their way' having gone polar opposite to become the most capitalist place on the planet.

You like fascists and distrust the fourth estate and the right to public assembly when it doesn't adhere towards licking the boots of those in power

As an aside, you'd think the "most capitalist place on the planet" would have the AEI stamp of approval. Poor Derek Scissors just had a minor seizure after you put that comment out into the ether.

i guess to communist militants, public assembly includes throwing gasoline bombs, beating people who disagree with them and attacking the police.

for-profit companies go to where the capitalist opportunities are. do you think companies care what a think tank says, conservative or liberal? political agendas only complicate matters and waste resources.

"It's a political agenda when it doesn't help line my pockets, but it's just good business when the agenda helps make me richer."
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject:

Redditors already snitched on Steve Kerr, so here he is retweeting a former Obama foreign policy advisor's tweet urging for fights against the authoritarian trend like the Hong Kong protests:

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/1182321619286577152

Kerr may be a fan of the overall sentiment, though, and specifically the protests in Hong Kong.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
So apparently the arena was at capacity in Shanghai this evening with a reported crowd of 18K. I haven't read of any protests outside the arena - were there any?

you mean people holding the chinese flag and signs of 'f- morey'?

I thought Chinese flags were handed out at the doors? How many "F-Morey" signs were there, do you know?

i am not there so i have no idea. i just read the articles like almost everyone else. i just read more than the average person since my company is involved with trade with china and affected by the trade war.

but what i can tell you is that the mainland chinese absolutely hate hong kong right now and greatly resent foreign intervention, which is what they view morey as.
so even if the signs were handed out, they most likely happily carried those signs by their own free will.

Well at least you finally stopped beating around the bush and disclosed why you side with the CCP.

i have said that my company does business in china many times, just like apple, nba, ... only much smaller.
that is why i can tell you firsthand that the mainland people hate hong kong because i hear about it all the time.
and i can guarantee you companies like ours will say whatever it needs to to keep doing business there, as it represents more than 70% of our future revenues.

actually if trump wins more intellectual property rights for us companies, we win.
however, that i find it highly doubtful because trump simply does not have enough leverage.
so the best our little company can do is hope for the status quo.

and yes, i dont want to see my family and friends in hong kong lose rights and freedom, but that is where it is heading because of the violent protests.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

yes i see that

"It's a political agenda when it doesn't help line my pockets, but it's just good business when the agenda helps make me richer."

for profit companies make money, period.
all those think thanks have political agendas, whether their agendas support or hurt us at that time.
to be honest, trump may end up helping our business, but it is not worth the disruption and chaos he is causing.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject:

The Chinese government pumps the brakes:
Quote:
Sopan Deb
@SopanDeb
Wow. The Chinese government is now moving to **tamp down** on anger against the NBA on the mainland.

A de-escalation appears underway.
https://nyti.ms/326XmNN

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/1182381750481240067

I wonder what Silver promised? Or Trump...?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

yes i see that

all those think thanks have political agendas, whether their agendas support or hurt us at that time.
to be honest, trump may end up helping our business, but it is not worth the disruption and chaos he is causing.

Does your company employ or contract individuals who lobby government entities somewhere in the world?
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
lesluthor wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
lesluthor wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Unless the US stops trading with China, then there is no reason to leave the responsibility on the NBA or expect any businesses to stand with HK. Do we feel that morally superior? That our constitution is the creme de la creme and every other country should be like us? Have our political system, our way of life and thinking? This all sounds familiar in history.

Funny to me Trump poked fun of Kerr and Pop because it starts at the top. If we really want to stand with HK, then America and Trump has to come out and say it, so that all hell can really break loose. But that's not the case, is it? Our government dances around these issues when they deal with China because it's complicated and delicate. Yet we expect the NBA to put the smack down on China and stand with HK? This whole thing makes no sense.

Every human should have the right to speak freely without fear of torture or imprisonment. Yet the only constitution in the world which protects this freedom is our own. So yeah..in this we have moral high ground.
China’s government is oppressive and vile. How can anyone suggest otherwise?

This kind of thinking is the reason why America is in conflict with a lot of countries. Americans project their culture to others, demand everyone follow suit and stand from a moral high horse.

We have to understand each country has its own set of cultures framed by their own histories. Some beliefs may seem strange to us, but we have no right to condemn or interfere.

We say China is vile, yet it is America that has 6000 nuclear warheads, holding the world by its throat. We say China is oppressive yet it is America that destroyed Iraq and killed thousands due an accusation of WMDs that was actually proven false.

Let the players play. Leave China and its internal issues for their own politicians to solve.

Sounds like you want to stand on your own moral high horse, not that I approve of the Iraq war one iota. But that's not the subject here and defending free speech is a far different topic, unless by projection you're insinuating nobody has a right to an opinion because Iraq.

This all started when one guy tweeted his opinion on a subject. Yes it was touchy and the timing was stupid, but the overreaction is childish. Do you really think defending an American's right to have an opinion equals projecting power and demanding others follow suite? It's actually the reverse. China doesn't want someone in America who works for an NBA team to have free speech on a subject they don't approve of, and they are the one projecting economic power to silence him.

Get off your own moral high horse, and if you're ready to talk about free speech, talk about it. In the meantime a basketball discussion would actually be nice.

Again, that is the American point of view. What do Chinese mainlanders think about it? Even Yao Ming was livid about the tweet and he was a former Houston Rocket. If I was Chinese, I would not like it as well if some American thinks he is qualified to comment on a sensitive national issue that he has no business poking his nose at.

I am not riding on a moral high horse, I just respect the fact that every country should have solve their own political issues free from interference from outside.

Iraq?Syria? Venezuela? China? Russia? Philippines? Somalia? Iran?Cuba? The list goes on and on. America keeps on poking their noses in places they have no right to be in.

Just as you're poking your nose in a topic about some American guy who expressed his own opinion, in America, in medium not even accessible by the Chinese public. Then bringing up your resentment about other topics American to justify your criticism.

Fwiw I'd love it if we could stop playing world cop. That money is better spent on health care, colleges, infrastructure. That has nothing to do with Morey's tweet or with the Lakers playing NBA games in China, nor does it have anything to do with addressing anyone's concerns about free speech.

Morey didn't interfere with China, neither did America by allowing him the freedom to express his opinion.

we are still at this AFTER the game?

gee, sorry, but morey did interfere.
he has a corporate position of influence and statue, and thus has an impact on others with his tweet.
if he is a nobody, then people would not be upset to this degree.

that is why corporate officials are really careful with what they say publicly because it reflects on their company.
with power comes responsibility and liability.
Still at it... ironic coming from you. I am busy during most days, you have all day and night apparently to talk about Chinas defeat of the US empire, judging from the content of the volumes of posts form you on the subject. Holes galore in them, but I'll have to defer to after hours on that topic.

No, Morey didnt do a thing to China. The Hong Kong conflict doesn't teeter on the balance of what he says or doesn't say. He doesn't matter one bit in the ultimate resolution of this conflict. He hurt some feelings and embarrassed his company. The subsequent uproar is childish, and reminds me of our own reactionary protectionist president into who's hands China is playing perfectly right now, to the detriment of both countries.

Back to work.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Darryl Morey isn't the Rockets, the NBA, or United States. How independent are CCTV and TenCent from Central Committee decisionmaking?
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Sopan Deb
@SopanDeb
Wow. The Chinese government is now moving to **tamp down** on anger against the NBA on the mainland.

hmm, maybe the chinese govt doesn't have all the leverage
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Sopan Deb
@SopanDeb

ad and lebron on the chinese olympic team j/k
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Sopan Deb
@SopanDeb

They made a mountain out of a molehill....I doubt much people especially those stateside thought much of Morey's comments in the USA, but because of the vast censorship of topics detrimental to the CCP in China, they decided to utilize a nuclear option to penalize his team and the NBA. When the mainstream media caught wind of it, news spread to every outlet around the globe and brought awareness to people especially sports fans about HK. So while the actions satisfied their audience at home, it backfired around the globe.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

yes i see that

Does your company employ or contract individuals who lobby government entities somewhere in the world?

thank god we dont need lobbyists
we are much much smaller than the big boys.
if trump succeeds, we get a free ride from the big boys.

but again, we would much rather this never happened.
prefer being left alone in peace instead of all this chao that trump likes to negotiate with
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Quote:
Sopan Deb
@SopanDeb

They made a mountain out of a molehill....I doubt much people especially those stateside thought much of Morey's comments in the USA, but because of the vast censorship of topics detrimental to the CCP in China, they decided to utilize a nuclear option to penalize his team and the NBA. When the mainstream media caught wind of it, news spread to every outlet around the globe and brought awareness to people especially sports fans about HK. So while the actions satisfied their audience at home, it backfired around the globe.

*smash cut to title card*

"The Politburo Standing Committee Learns About the Streisand Effect"

*cue IASIP intro music*
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Quote:
Sopan Deb
@SopanDeb

Or China realizes they want less attention on the issue. They prefer overall American ignorance of the situation vs a LeBron speaking up against it and putting a spotlight on their violent despotism.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

No, something happened. Silver was meeting with Chinese reps and Trump has an ongoing brutal trade negotiation with China, so someone did something.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
lesluthor wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
lesluthor wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Unless the US stops trading with China, then there is no reason to leave the responsibility on the NBA or expect any businesses to stand with HK. Do we feel that morally superior? That our constitution is the creme de la creme and every other country should be like us? Have our political system, our way of life and thinking? This all sounds familiar in history.

Funny to me Trump poked fun of Kerr and Pop because it starts at the top. If we really want to stand with HK, then America and Trump has to come out and say it, so that all hell can really break loose. But that's not the case, is it? Our government dances around these issues when they deal with China because it's complicated and delicate. Yet we expect the NBA to put the smack down on China and stand with HK? This whole thing makes no sense.

Every human should have the right to speak freely without fear of torture or imprisonment. Yet the only constitution in the world which protects this freedom is our own. So yeah..in this we have moral high ground.
China’s government is oppressive and vile. How can anyone suggest otherwise?

This kind of thinking is the reason why America is in conflict with a lot of countries. Americans project their culture to others, demand everyone follow suit and stand from a moral high horse.

We have to understand each country has its own set of cultures framed by their own histories. Some beliefs may seem strange to us, but we have no right to condemn or interfere.

We say China is vile, yet it is America that has 6000 nuclear warheads, holding the world by its throat. We say China is oppressive yet it is America that destroyed Iraq and killed thousands due an accusation of WMDs that was actually proven false.

Let the players play. Leave China and its internal issues for their own politicians to solve.

Sounds like you want to stand on your own moral high horse, not that I approve of the Iraq war one iota. But that's not the subject here and defending free speech is a far different topic, unless by projection you're insinuating nobody has a right to an opinion because Iraq.

This all started when one guy tweeted his opinion on a subject. Yes it was touchy and the timing was stupid, but the overreaction is childish. Do you really think defending an American's right to have an opinion equals projecting power and demanding others follow suite? It's actually the reverse. China doesn't want someone in America who works for an NBA team to have free speech on a subject they don't approve of, and they are the one projecting economic power to silence him.

Get off your own moral high horse, and if you're ready to talk about free speech, talk about it. In the meantime a basketball discussion would actually be nice.

Again, that is the American point of view. What do Chinese mainlanders think about it? Even Yao Ming was livid about the tweet and he was a former Houston Rocket. If I was Chinese, I would not like it as well if some American thinks he is qualified to comment on a sensitive national issue that he has no business poking his nose at.

I am not riding on a moral high horse, I just respect the fact that every country should have solve their own political issues free from interference from outside.

Iraq?Syria? Venezuela? China? Russia? Philippines? Somalia? Iran?Cuba? The list goes on and on. America keeps on poking their noses in places they have no right to be in.

Just as you're poking your nose in a topic about some American guy who expressed his own opinion, in America, in medium not even accessible by the Chinese public. Then bringing up your resentment about other topics American to justify your criticism.

Fwiw I'd love it if we could stop playing world cop. That money is better spent on health care, colleges, infrastructure. That has nothing to do with Morey's tweet or with the Lakers playing NBA games in China, nor does it have anything to do with addressing anyone's concerns about free speech.

Morey didn't interfere with China, neither did America by allowing him the freedom to express his opinion.

we are still at this AFTER the game?

gee, sorry, but morey did interfere.
he has a corporate position of influence and statue, and thus has an impact on others with his tweet.
if he is a nobody, then people would not be upset to this degree.

that is why corporate officials are really careful with what they say publicly because it reflects on their company.
with power comes responsibility and liability.
Still at it... ironic coming from you. I am busy during most days, you have all day and night apparently to talk about Chinas defeat of the US empire, judging from the content of the volumes of posts form you on the subject. Holes galore in them, but I'll have to defer to after hours on that topic.

No, Morey didnt do a thing to China. The Hong Kong conflict doesn't teeter on the balance of what he says or doesn't say. He doesn't matter one bit in the ultimate resolution of this conflict. He hurt some feelings and embarrassed his company. The subsequent uproar is childish, and reminds me of our own reactionary protectionist president into who's hands China is playing perfectly right now, to the detriment of both countries.

Back to work.

no one said defeat of us empire.
i said a rising power and an existing power.
currently and for the foreseeable future, the us military is much much more powerful.

i have a couple more days before getting back to work next monday.
we are waiting on a middleman to do his thing.
besides taking phone calls after midnight, i get to play some more.

a senior executive of a company has privileges and liabilities.
having to watch he says is one of those liabilities.
i dont know what significant company wants their senior execs to mouth off on twitter and cause an international incident.
if you dont think this is an international incident, i dont know what to tell you.
chinese carry signs saying f- morey, congress is talking about it, etc.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
governator wrote:
Quote:
Sopan Deb
@SopanDeb

Or China realizes they want less attention on the issue. They prefer overall American ignorance of the situation vs a LeBron speaking up against it and putting a spotlight on their violent despotism.

China doesn't care what overseas press think about them. They have control over the press at home which will fan domestic Nationalism, and they have gradually increasing power they're not shy about flinging around.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Quote:
Sopan Deb
@SopanDeb

that may well have happened. more attention than they like.
they did exercise their influence on companies in a very public way, which has upside and downside.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
governator wrote:
Quote:
Sopan Deb
@SopanDeb

China doesn't care what overseas press think about them. They have control over the press at home which will fan domestic Nationalism, and they have gradually increasing power they're not shy about flinging around.

They don't care what overseas press thinks, only what Darryl Morey tweets. Makes tons of sense.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

No, something happened. Silver was meeting with Chinese reps and Trump has an ongoing brutal trade negotiation with China, so someone did something.

actually trump approved some licenses for tech companies to sell certain parts to huawei. so things may be calming down a bit. perhaps another partial deal of soy beans purchase for no more tariffs so x months
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

pjiddy wrote:
drae wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
governator wrote:
Quote:
Sopan Deb
@SopanDeb

They don't care what overseas press thinks, only what Darryl Morey tweets. Makes tons of sense.

Morey isn't overseas press. He's an integral part of a team that enjoys a lot of benefits in China, and a part of a league which also enjoys a lot of benefits from China, benefits China has shown they can remove at a moments notice.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

drae wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Oh, they know how it blew up in the mainstream media. The higher ups have open access to internet that the rest of the population don't. When something like that pops up on the front page of foreign news press they would rather temper down the news (especially news that doesn't look favorable for them) so it doesn't get their attention.

Last edited by lakersken80 on Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

drae wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
governator wrote:
Quote:
Sopan Deb
@SopanDeb

actually i dont agree with this.
ccp likes quiet power more imo.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
drae wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Oh, they know how it blew up in the mainstream media. The higher ups have open access to internet that the rest of the population don't. When something like that pops up on the front page of foreign news press they would rather temper down the news so it doesn't get their attention.

Just like they cared oh so much what was being reported by the overseas press when they were grabbing all the territory in the South China Sea. Or at any other point in the past decade when they found themselves at odds with opinion in the international community ... and just didn't care
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 24 of 38
Jump to: