China bans Houston Rockets over pro-Hong Kong tweet by Morey
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maomao
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
maomao wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
maomao wrote:
StoicChalice392 wrote:
So the Nets had an NBA Cares event yesterday that was cancelled. Any word on the Lakers event scheduled for today?

all canceled. There had been reports of LBJ walking on the streets in Shanghai since all events are canceled.

Latest news is that Silver has landed in Shanghai to try to sort this thing out. As of now the game has not been ruled out at this point. But games will not be broadcasted, and many celebrities and functions surrounding the games are already pulled.

Let's thank Morey for all of this.

Thank him for bringing this to light I hope you mean. Or are you Pro-Communist on this one?

Go listen to what SAS said about this. If you want to discuss politics go somewhere else. You can't have it both ways. Don't pretend to be on higher ground when you tried to make a buck.

Don't pull the freedom of speech card when you had the likes of Sterling and Danny Ferry in the league.

Stephen A Smith is clueless on this topic. If the NBA sees itself as Progressive company they cant have it both ways. Either NBA is full of crap and they just want money or they actually care about human rights like they've preached and they have to backout of China. No way around it. Or next time another social issue comes out people will just say ohh you care about this but you dont care about what's happening in China.

I don't think the NBA should be involved in politics to begin with, let alone foreign affairs that they have no clue about. Many people are paying the price of Morey's tweets. I hope they think it's worth it.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
The Chinese government holds all the leverage here. They have shown it by starting to disassociate their sponsors with the Rockets and the NBA. Remember that 1.5 billion/5 year (300 million USD annually) dollar streaming TV deal? That could disappear into thin air if the Chinese government says no more NBA and there could be nothing the NBA could do about it.

Take the hit, pull out of China, and try to pivot elsewhere is all they can do if the PRC government continues with hardline tactics. Silver may bend over backwards in other areas to smooth this over, but he publicly and pretty strongly came out in Morey's defense today. Morey's now teflon in the short-run and Silver won't be offering any additional public apologies. We'll see what's next.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject:

maomao wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:
maomao wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
maomao wrote:
StoicChalice392 wrote:
So the Nets had an NBA Cares event yesterday that was cancelled. Any word on the Lakers event scheduled for today?

all canceled. There had been reports of LBJ walking on the streets in Shanghai since all events are canceled.

Latest news is that Silver has landed in Shanghai to try to sort this thing out. As of now the game has not been ruled out at this point. But games will not be broadcasted, and many celebrities and functions surrounding the games are already pulled.

Thank him for bringing this to light I hope you mean. Or are you Pro-Communist on this one?

Go listen to what SAS said about this. If you want to discuss politics go somewhere else. You can't have it both ways. Don't pretend to be on higher ground when you tried to make a buck.

Don't pull the freedom of speech card when you had the likes of Sterling and Danny Ferry in the league.

Stephen A Smith is clueless on this topic. If the NBA sees itself as Progressive company they cant have it both ways. Either NBA is full of crap and they just want money or they actually care about human rights like they've preached and they have to backout of China. No way around it. Or next time another social issue comes out people will just say ohh you care about this but you dont care about what's happening in China.

I don't think the NBA should be involved in politics to begin with, let alone foreign affairs that they have no clue about. Many people are paying the price of Morey's tweets. I hope they think it's worth it.

Does Morey have "no clue" about the Hong Kong protests? Have we established that as a fact?
maomao
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
The Chinese government holds all the leverage here. They have shown it by starting to disassociate their sponsors with the Rockets and the NBA. Remember that 1.5 billion/5 year (300 million USD annually) dollar streaming TV deal? That could disappear into thin air if the Chinese government says no more NBA and there could be nothing the NBA could do about it.

They def do. So now its a question of morality or money.

Nah it's just money now. The so call morality issue (if you think there's one) went away years ago when you started business relationship with Chinese market.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject:

I don't see Morey leaving his post anytime soon, despite what others have said. Adam Silver is trying to make amends and is hoping this controversy will blow over. That being said I don't think Daryl Morey will be making any trips over to China now or in the future.
maomao
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
maomao wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:
maomao wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
maomao wrote:
StoicChalice392 wrote:

Does Morey have "no clue" about the Hong Kong protests? Have we established that as a fact?

again, that's not the point. The point is that his tweet dragged everyone in the NBA (and many business from both China and US) into this mess.

I don't want to discuss whether is tweet is morally right or wrong since that's not the point. But if you want to say that he has the freedom of speech with zero economical and social consequences, just look at what happened to Sterling and Danny Ferry.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject:

maomao wrote:
maomao wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:
maomao wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
maomao wrote:
StoicChalice392 wrote:

again, that's not the point. The point is that his tweet dragged everyone in the NBA (and many business from both China and US) into this mess.

I don't want to discuss whether is tweet is morally right or wrong since that's not the point. But if you want to say that he has the freedom of speech with zero economical and social consequences, just look at what happened to Sterling and Danny Ferry.

I agree with this post. So we should maybe stop stating that Morey has "no clue" about what he tweeted about...? He could very well have been fully aware of the crap storm he was about to unleash and felt that it was worth the blowback. We just don't know what he knows or what his motivations are, though in his backhanded apology he did note that the issue was "complicated" and he was learning more about it. Lip service perhaps?
maomao
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject:

maomao wrote:
maomao wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:
maomao wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
maomao wrote:
StoicChalice392 wrote:

I agree with this post. So we should maybe stop stating that Morey has "no clue" about what he tweeted about...? He could very well have been fully aware of the crap storm he was about to unleash and felt that it was worth the blowback. We just don't know what he knows or what his motivations are, though in his backhanded apology he did note that the issue was "complicated" and he was learning more about it. Lip service perhaps?

If you reread my post, it says that I think NBA shouldn't be involved with politics especially foreign affairs in general. Not specifically about Morey and his tweets. I don't care what Morey knows and what he does since I hate the rockets.

But his action has caused a mess (doesn't matter if he's morality right or wrong) that has cost people money, and even jobs. Heck, as laker fans, do you want LBJ or any laker from to having to answer to questions regarding this?
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject:

Damn, China just banned South Park for satirizing them. I just found out that they also banned Winnie the Pooh. I kid you not. Oh no not SouthPark!
Here's the creators response:

Quote:
"Like the NBA, we welcome the Chinese censors into our homes and into our hearts," the statement reads. "We too love money more than freedom and democracy. Xi doesn't look like Winnie the Pooh at all. Tune into our 300th episode this Wednesday at 10! Long live the great Communist Party of China. May the autumn's sorghum harvest be bountiful. We good now China?"
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject:

maomao wrote:

If you reread my post, it says that I think NBA shouldn't be involved with politics especially foreign affairs in general. Not specifically about Morey and his tweets. I don't care what Morey knows and what he does since I hate the rockets.

But his action has caused a mess (doesn't matter if he's morality right or wrong) that has cost people money, and even jobs. Heck, as laker fans, do you want LBJ or any laker from to having to answer to questions regarding this?

How does the NBA separate the two when doing business with a government? The communist government is breaking business ties over this, not the NBA. China could easily observe Morey as one voice, not speaking for the NBA. They don't view people that way though. They don't allow for unique opinions.
maomao
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
maomao wrote:

How does the NBA separate the two when doing business with a government? The communist government is breaking business ties over this, not the NBA. China could easily observe Morey as one voice, not speaking for the NBA. They don't view people that way though. They don't allow for unique opinions.

I think this got escalated due to Silver's statement. He should have just said NBA do not share nor endorse Morey's tweets and fully support the view of the people they do business with on this issue.

which is the same as the statement given out by the Rocket's owner.

Instead, this is moving from a rockets level toward an NBA league level of mess.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
maomao wrote:

And I would have no problem if Lebron decided to voice his opinion over the issue.
maomao
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
maomao wrote:

And I would have no problem if Lebron decided to voice his opinion over the issue.

well most would not, do you see what people say when Harden apologized?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject:

maomao wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
maomao wrote:

I think this got escalated due to Silver's statement. He should have just said NBA do not share nor endorse Morey's tweets and fully support the view of the people they do business with on this issue.

Instead, this is moving from a rockets level toward an NBA league level of mess.

The NBA is an American sports league and Silver is facing backlash at home.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject:

Props to Silver for his new statement and position. I didn't think he had it in him to do what was right on this, considering how much money is on the line.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject:

And if there's any question Silver's on the "right" side of this issue, this was CCTV's reponse:

Quote:
"We're strongly dissatisfied and oppose Adam Silver's claim to support Morey's right to freedom of expression," CCTV said. "We believe that any remarks that challenge national sovereignty and social stability are not within the scope of freedom of speech."

https://apnews.com/cacbc722f6834e64814f82b14752682c

Let that sink in.

Last edited by DuncanIdaho on Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject:

maomao wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
maomao wrote:

But the NBA also fully supports Morey to say whatever he wants to say on his private twitter account, that has nothing to do with the NBA, which it didn't. The Chinese government are the party that chose to connect the NBA with the tweet.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Props to Silver for his new statement and position. I didn't think he had it in him to do what was right on this, considering how much money is on the line.

He's between a rock (bipartisan domestic political backlash) and a hard place (his owners and players pocketbooks).
maomao
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject:

maomao wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
maomao wrote:

The NBA is an American sports league and Silver is facing backlash at home.

I know, that's why it's such a mess. Maybe he should have refrain from issuing any statement and first go to China to meet with them like he's doing right now.
maomao
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
maomao wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
maomao wrote:

But the NBA also fully supports Morey to say whatever he wants to say on his private twitter account, that has nothing to do with the NBA, which it didn't. The Chinese government are the party that chose to connect the NBA with the tweet.

well I don't think Silver has to say that. The NBA is already connected the moment it was tweeted. And no, the NBA do not have a history of accepting what its owner and GM says "privately", just ask Sterling and Danny Ferry
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject:

all this talk about the Chinese "government". There is no government to work this out with. There's a very few people at the top of totem pole and they didn't like the brash Americans coming over and spouting off their views like we do over here so they squashed it. When they didn't get what they felt was a proper apology they ramped up their "punishment" like a small child having a tantrum. Now they've got people over there actually believing the only way to settle this is for Morey to get fired.

This will lay it out for you, it's from The Street in a 2015 article:

"Bear in mind that many Party members got their wealth not by being innovative business people, but by stealing business and property. That process is rather simple: Companies that become very profitable are absorbed, one way or another, into the state. "State-owned enterprises" are treated as money machines for the benefit of their political owners. Typically, state-owned enterprises have their profits diverted to their Party "owners", and then loans are made by state-owned banks to keep the enterprise ongoing."
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject:

maomao wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
maomao wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
maomao wrote:

well I don't think Silver has to say that. The NBA is already connected the moment it was tweeted. And no, the NBA do not have a history of accepting what its owner and GM says "privately", just ask Sterling and Danny Ferry

Sterling and Ferry made disparaging comments about NBA players. That's a direct link.
maomao
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
maomao wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
maomao wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
maomao wrote:

Sterling and Ferry made disparaging comments about NBA players. That's a direct link.

So that means NBA supports whatever its owner and GM says as long as they think it's right. So that's why the whole NBA is linked.

Again, I'm not saying who or what is right or wrong. Just accept the fact that speech has social and economical consequences.

You can't criticize your customers and expect their business at the time.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject:

OR, they can stop being big babies about what some guy says on Twitter, which is blocked in their country by the great firewall anyway.

Last edited by DuncanIdaho on Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject:

The fact so many people are talking about this and the fact Silver flew to Shanghai immediately shows money still matters. Why not just ignore the Chinese reaction altogether? Why not just treat this news as a little blip on the world of sporting news? They just can’t do that do they.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7
Jump to: