tour of UCLA campus

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: tour of UCLA campus

they do offer weekday tours, but unfortunately we have to go on a weekend. any tips and suggestions on taking in a quick tour of the campus? such as which parking lot to park for visitors etc?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject:

I can't help you because as you know I do not reside in that region, but I found it interesting in that I was just listening to ESPNU radio and they were talking about college athletes making their decisions....long story short the two guys on the radio agreed they did not understand how a student athlete could ever visit UCLA and choose to attend another school. They just went on to speak about how nice the campus is compared to other schools.

I am currently doing the campus tours also with my daughter. It seems like every where we go I am like "dang, this is so much nicer than my college when I attended". Some of these Freshman dorms are closer to an all inclusive resort than they are the dorms I recall.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Don't take a quick tour. Stay for a few hours. Park at a grey curb south of Wilshire somewhere and uber up to campus, or park in the residential neighborhood on Veteran ave if you can find a spot there.

Have a bite of Persian pizza or an Indian buffet and take lovely stroll through Westwood village. Stop by Diddy Riese to enjoy a ridiculously cheap ice cream sandwich. Walk up Westwood Blvd. Take a peek inside Reagan Medical Center. Say hi to the cheerful greeters. Marvel at its lovely interior. Take note of the white coats and the nurses traversing the medical campus with you. See if you can identify each of their wonderful specialties.

Sit inside Powell Library. Walk the Bruinwalk. Be proselytized to. Be invited to join Alpha Gamma Omega, the anime club. and the church of scientology. Politely decline all three because you're not a putz. Or maybe you are and you like those things.

Enjoy a Bruins basketball home game in the middle of campus. Tickets are cheap.

Explore north campus to appraise some of the more attractive students.

The next day, tour USC. Bring kevlar, a crackpipe, and a few hundred thousand dollars cash to receive your instant admission/degree package. Or "donate" a little more depending on which sports team you want to be able to say you played for.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Don't take a quick tour. Stay for a few hours. Park at a grey curb south of Wilshire somewhere and uber up to campus, or park in the residential neighborhood on Veteran ave if you can find a spot there.

Have a bite of Persian pizza or an Indian buffet and take a stroll in Westwood village. Stop by Diddy Riese to enjoy a ridiculously cheap ice cream sandwich. Walk up Westwood Blvd. Take a peek inside Reagan Medical Center. Say hi to the cheerful greeters. Marvel at its lovely interior. Take note of the white coats and the nurses traversing the medical campus with you. See if you can identify each of their wonderful specialties.

Sit inside Powell Library. Walk the Bruinwalk. Be proselytized to. Be invited to join Alpha Gamma Omega, the anime club. and the church of scientology. Politely decline all three because you're not a putz. Or maybe you are and you like those things.

The next day, tour USC. Bring kevlar, a crackpipe, and a few hundred thousand dollars, or more, depending on which sports team you want to say you played for.

make sure you have nice deep pockets(not money) when walking through bruinwalk.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Have a bite of Persian pizza or an Indian buffet and take lovely stroll through Westwood village. Stop by Diddy Riese to enjoy a ridiculously cheap ice cream sandwich. Walk up Westwood Blvd. Take a peek inside Reagan Medical Center. Say hi to the cheerful greeters. Marvel at its lovely interior. Take note of the white coats and the nurses traversing the medical campus with you. See if you can identify each of their wonderful specialties.

The next day, tour USC. Bring kevlar, a crackpipe, and a few hundred thousand dollars cash to receive your instant admission/degree package. Or "donate" a little more depending on which sports team you want to be able to say you played for.

Or just go to UCSB and chill on the beach.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Have heard that entire area in beautiful. The last campus tour we did, and her current favorite was FAU in Boca Raton. Although it does not have the scenic landscape images of Santa Barbara, the campus and student life is kind of built around the beach/ocean.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Have heard that entire area in beautiful. The last campus tour we did, and her current favorite was FAU in Boca Raton. Although it does not have the scenic landscape images of Santa Barbara, the campus and student life is kind of built around the beach/ocean.

Always a plus.

One of my favorite memories of being at UCSB was one of my first nights going to sleep. There was a big swell running and I was lying in bed listening to the crisp crack of the lips of the waves slamming down in the silence of the night. It was like crack to the surfer in me so I got up and went down and sat on the bluff to watch the surf break in the dim moonlight. I sat there for a long time thinking, “well, whatever else happens while I’m here, I’ll be glad to be here.”

There are studies that indicate that those who live on or near the coastline live longer and report feeling healthier. It makes total sense. We come from the sea at our biological origin.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

I miss it every day.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject:

Stupid question time: How many here went through the college admissions process with a consultant? A couple of families that I know hired them, though I thought the practice was odd. I've since been told that my knowledge is dated, and that it is now pervasive.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject:

Things sure have changed.

USC used to be a fallback to the fallback to just in case you didn't get into Arizona.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject:

i'm pretty bad at guessing stuffs, but i'll go on a limb and bet a quarter that you're a UCLA grad, LOL. thanks for the info!
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Stupid question time: How many here went through the college admissions process with a consultant? A couple of families that I know hired them, though I thought the practice was odd. I've since been told that my knowledge is dated, and that it is now pervasive.

15 years ago, my parents and I went to a seminar on how to get financial aid for college. I'm not sure if this is the type of consultant you're referring to. Anyway, we didn't end up using her because she basically said I wouldn't qualify for much aid.

I would respond to the topic on a UCLA tour as I also graduated from there but that's already been covered. I will say that the campus is always changing. I was there last spring for a gymnastics meet and the area around Pauley had been significantly changed from just a few years ago.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

15 years ago, my parents and I went to a seminar on how to get financial aid for college. I'm not sure if this is the type of consultant you're referring to. Anyway, we didn't end up using her because she basically said I wouldn't qualify for much aid.

I would respond to the topic on a UCLA tour as I also graduated from there but that's already been covered. I will say that the campus is always changing. I was there last spring for a gymnastics meet and the area around Pauley had been significantly changed from just a few years ago.

Thanks for responding, though I didn't intend to hijack the thread. I meant the consultants who will position the marketability of the student to each university; some (or many) even ghostwrite the essays.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I miss it every day.

Which do you think has the best location among UCs-- Santa Barbara, La Jolla, Westwood, or Berkeley? (Or Santa Cruz or Irvine too I guess.)

I think LA Jolla might have nicer beaches than UCSB but it seems like you have to drive a bit to actually get there.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

Things sure have changed.

USC used to be a fallback to the fallback to just in case you didn't get into Arizona.

Really? Interesting. If I'm being honest I think I'd pick SC over U of A.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I miss it every day.

One of my biggest life regrets was opting to stay local in Irvine instead of going to SB.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

I think LA Jolla might have nicer beaches than UCSB but it seems like you have to drive a bit to actually get there.

The beach area of La Jolla is really cool. But that great area along the cove and bay has nothing to do with campus life.

UCSB is literally right on the water - even the off campus housing in Isla Vista is waterfront property. And the area of Campus Point and North is great beach front.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

4evARaBruinLG
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

I am a UCLA alumnus and also a college admissions counselor/advisor. Admissions is fluid and changes almost yearly, while there are some constants. Feel free to ask questions in the thread or DM if you like. I spend most of time in the Lounge, so apologies if I lag.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject:

is it okay to do a UCLA tour without a near college age kid with you and a toddler tagging along?
I'd like to do a tour with my 12 year old, just to help inspire her on what her current studies are preparing her for.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject:

I don't know who watches Fresh off the Boat but they devoted an episode to Eddie having a college tour of UCLA.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: