Denmark buys country’s last remaining circus elephants to let them retire

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Denmark buys country’s last remaining circus elephants to let them retire

Denmark is spending 11 million kroner ($1.6 million) to buy the country’s last four circus elephants to give them a proper retirement as the government moves to ban wild animals in circuses.

Food and Fisheries Minister Mogens Jensen says a ban on wild animals in circuses is expected later this year.

The ministry said Saturday there were no immediate plans as to where to put Ramboline, Lara, Djunga and Jenny, but applicants willing to take the mammals should offer a timely takeover and proper welfare. In the meantime, Animal Protection Denmark would ensure their welfare until then.

Your move rest of the world.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject:

I have to think "the circus" is on it's last days in the US also. I do not patronage them and it's been years since I think I have seen an advertisement for one.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I have to think "the circus" is on it's last days in the US also. I do not patronage them and it's been years since I think I have seen an advertisement for one.

Ringling Brothers shut down this year after 146 years.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject:

Barnum and Bailey sent theirs to animal sanctuaries and all without government assistance...
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject:

Can we send Donald Trump there to retire immediately?
We will pay Denmark 100 Billion dollars to take him and his family
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Barnum and Bailey sent theirs to animal sanctuaries and all without government assistance...

I thought they were one and the same (RB & BB)?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I thought they were one and the same (RB & BB)?

Same company.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject:

Eating and wearing them is tough enough
Chopping down all their habitats
Polluting all of their water

It would be nice if humans didn't also profit off of torturing them
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject:

Elephants are wonderful creatures

Maybe some don't realize it, but when you have your kids ride an elephant in circles at the fair, they are miserable.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject:

Elephants are very intelligent. They have enormous brains and wild elephant society is highly complex. To put them in small cages and make them perform is just a travesty. To me this is one of the saddest thing in our current state of affairs, all of the animal suffering.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject:

What do you guys think about Zoo's? Although I swore off Circus's years ago and I canceled membership @ Sea World after Blackfish; I do still enjoy visiting Zoo's, but I know some people feel that is hypocritical on my part.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
What do you guys think about Zoo's? Although I swore off Circus's years ago and I canceled membership @ Sea World after Blackfish; I do still enjoy visiting Zoo's, but I know some people feel that is hypocritical on my part.

The plural of zoo is zoos. The plural of circus is circuses. Adding the apostrophe (or hyphen, as folks in your circle might think of them ) makes it possessive.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Zoos are a necessary at this point. So many species are extinct or practically extinct in the wild so captive breeding programs are necessary. Plus I feel that they are needed so that people can make a connection with wildlife and learn about how many animals are endangered and what can be done to help. Zoos helped bring the CA condor back from the brink of extinction.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Wait a minute. Elephants go for $400 thousand a pop? That's more than the cost for a Donald Trump county tax accessor bribe, but less than the cost of a used Koenigsegg Agera RS, so I suppose it's all relative.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject:

For $1.6M, I wonder if we could pick up Greenland?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Zoos are a necessary at this point. So many species are extinct or practically extinct in the wild so captive breeding programs are necessary. Plus I feel that they are needed so that people can make a connection with wildlife and learn about how many animals are endangered and what can be done to help. Zoos helped bring the CA condor back from the brink of extinction.

You took the words I was going to post right out of my mouth, right down to the condor part.

Zoos have evolved a great deal from the days when they simply placed animals on display in cages. They are now a logical and important resource as a way to both preserve rare species, but to appropriately educate

But part of responsible zoology is going to have to involve the realization that certain species shouldn't be confined to the space that zoos have to offer. Large mammals like elephants shouldn't be living in places that don't allow them to roam for less than an acre.

And along those lines, I would point out that the same zoo that was integral in saving the California condor is also the same place that has one confined in a cage that allows it to spread its wings out, but no space to actually fly.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject:

I was raised around Christians and heard about "Stewards of the Earth" "Brothers Keeper" etc anyhow.. I connected with animals very easily as a boy.

This video really helps you see We are not that much different from them. They are not that much different than us.
Food
Shelter
Love
Jan van Hooff visits chimpanzee "Mama", 59 yrs old and very sick. Emotional meeting

And never forget Koko
Koko meets Mr. Rogers, her favorite celebrity

Koko's Tribute to Robin Williams
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

You took the words I was going to post right out of my mouth, right down to the condor part.

Zoos have evolved a great deal from the days when they simply placed animals on display in cages. They are now a logical and important resource as a way to both preserve rare species, but to appropriately educate

But part of responsible zoology is going to have to involve the realization that certain species shouldn't be confined to the space that zoos have to offer. Large mammals like elephants shouldn't be living in places that don't allow them to roam for less than an acre.

And along those lines, I would point out that the same zoo that was integral in saving the California condor is also the same place that has one confined in a cage that allows it to spread its wings out, but no space to actually fly.

it does seem like the overall business model is trying to serve two masters. They rely on the customer experience being at the level that drives revenue....and often this requires an up close an personal experience with these wild animals. In contrast, they are trying to provide the animal with a "comfortable" life both physically and mentally and that often involves larger amounts of space and the ability to actually get away from the paying customers.

Thankfully I do think the trend has leaned more in favor to the animals needs in recent decades....at least more so than it did in previous decades. I do get the dilemma as does anyone that has taken a child to an exhibit that has a sign labeled Bengal Tiger....then you look out there and it is just a large field with constructed rocks, caves, etc., but no sign of the Bengal Tiger who is on a 5 hour nap on a cool rock out of sight.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: