Twin Peaks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Bunk beds, tobacco, and Lisa Dombrowski dancing on a hook rug with a flashlight.

Do you remember?

Vaguely,

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Bunk beds, tobacco, and Lisa Dombrowski dancing on a hook rug with a flashlight.

Do you remember?

Vaguely,

What episode are you up to now? I'm debating about restarting my binge watch tonight.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Where are you guys re-watching this? Netflix?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Where are you guys re-watching this? Netflix?

Yup. And I have the third season on Blu-Ray.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Well, it was a good idea to watch Ep. 9.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Do you remember?

Vaguely,

What episode are you up to now? I'm debating about restarting my binge watch tonight.

S2 E4 I'm not really sure about the flashlight.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Do you remember?

Vaguely,

S2 E4 I'm not really sure about the flashlight.

No worries, it's from Ep. 8, but isn't really a spoiler.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject:

This thing is turning into the X-Files. Cooper is going full Mulder. I both love and hate this turn.

Also, the food critic reveal does pay off for everyone who had a certain type of parent growing up.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject:

So I'm on Ep. 11 and I'm getting antsy to move ahead to the season finale again. I don't hate James like a lot of people apparently did at the time and still do,* but I don't know if I can take a several episode character arc where he's going emo Easy Rider without Lara Flynn Boyle's superior acting chops to punch up James Marshall's performance.

I do kind of like Lynch and crew wrapping up the whodunnit aspect early on and settling in on the zany dark soap opera-ness of Twin Peaks and the larger myth building of the White Lodge. I can see why people tuned out, though.

* Now Leo otoh can stay mute forever as far as I'm concerned. I love gow Lynch realized Eric Da Rae sucked as an actor and responded accordingly.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject:

This thing is turning into the X-Files. Cooper is going full Mulder. I both love and hate this turn.

Also, the food critic reveal does pay off for everyone who had a certain type of parent growing up.

Holy forking shirtballs! David Duchovny just showed up! And in a totally unexpected, "this could never be on tv today" performance. What the (bleep) is this show?!
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject:

So I'm on Ep. 11 and I'm getting antsy to move ahead to the season finale again. I don't hate James like a lot of people apparently did at the time and still do,* but I don't know if I can take a several episode character arc where he's going emo Easy Rider without Lara Flynn Boyle's superior acting chops to punch up James Marshall's performance.

I do kind of like Lynch and crew wrapping up the whodunnit aspect early on and settling in on the zany dark soap opera-ness of Twin Peaks and the larger myth building of the White Lodge. I can see why people tuned out, though.

* Now Leo otoh can stay mute forever as far as I'm concerned. I love gow Lynch realized Eric Da Rae sucked as an actor and responded accordingly.

So about 9 more episodes to go this season after last night and I'm starting to think Lynch didn't give up after the midway point as much as he told his writers to throw in everything knowing the series was cancelled. Still a very mixed bag of episodes that I can't ever see myself rewatching in full, but I appreciate some of the zany, wild swings the series is taking before going down.

The tonal whiplash between slapstick comedy, soap-y melodrama, and supernatural mystery is somehow muted by every actor completely going for it, but the lack of dread and melancholy that came with Laura Palmer's murder hanging over the show makes everything else feel a little too flighty to be really great.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject:

So Billy Zane and Heather Graham show up to woodenly, if attractively, play underwritten love interests for Audrey and Coop because Kyle McLachlan reportedly felt the Dale/Audrey sexual tension was weird. And then Lynch wrote in a scene where he played Gordon Cole and got to kiss one of the pretty young women in his cast.

In all the rush to go after Tarantino for violence against women in his movies, it seems we as Americans have come to neglect how David Lynch's sexual hangups have produced some uncomfortable portrayals of women. Shame on us.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:14 am; edited 3 times in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Ok, James officially sucks. Reenacting the Civil War as a Confederate victory even as satire sucks. Moving on to Ep. 19 asap.

ETA: wow, this thing closes strong.

Also, 20 tight episodes directed by Lynch would've been a fascinating artistic product.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Welp, The Return is stupid good after only one episode. Lynch is going back to Eraserhead and his short film days for this stuff.

Has he ever put this degree of visual bravura on screen before?

ETA: My God. Special Agent Dale Cooper just went through a giant wall socket and I'm crying with joy.

Also, being on Showtime sure allowed Lynch to film as much T&A as he wanted. I had forgotten how horny his movies could be.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject:

I'm up to S2 E9. It's getting out of hand. Hallucinations, dreams with clues, duel personalities. I saw the bunk beds, flash light episode. SMH

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I'm up to S2 E9. It's getting out of hand. Hallucinations, dreams with clues, duel personalities. I saw the bunk beds, flash light episode. SMH

The third season is heavy on that stuff so far. Lynch is an abstract painter and experimental filmmaker at heart, which along with his fascination with dream logic have always influenced his narrative art. I'd recommend watching the "prequel" movie Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me before diving into Season 3, Twin Peaks: The Return. FWWM has more of a tonal influence on The Return and introduces some characters and plot lines not in the first two seasons that pop up in The Return.

If you don't like FWWM, The Return might not be your thing.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject:

Twin Peaks Season 2

- Watched episodes 1-15 (with some occasional fast forwarding through eps. 11-15) and 19-22 with one pit stop to watch Josie's ligneous fate.

- I understand now why people dislike the 2nd season so much, but I do think there could've been a solid 16-episode season carved out of some of the better storylines. But the series clearly seemed to be spinning its wheels with mostly pointless subplots that didn't have nearly the charm the writers may have thought they did: Audrey's character suddenly spun out of control; Coop's evil FBI nemesis being a grand chessmaster and then none of it mattering; the contrived love interests for Coop and Audrey; Donna's true parentage; etc.

- Late 2nd season plotlines I did like: (surprisingly) the Nadine & Mike & Norma & Ed love quadrangle in which Greg Hershberger as Mike shows off some heretofore unseen comedic chops before Mike is emotionally devestated by the negligence of all the adults around him; Major Briggs' dream for Bobby, one of the most generous and affecting scenes in the series so far; Ben Horne struggling to become good while trading his signature cigars for equally phallic pocket vegetables was a great running gag.

- The deliberate cliff-hanger FUs for Coop and Audrey were kind of delicious in retrospect. I can't imagine the frustration die hard Peaks fans at the time must have gone through seeing that excellent finale set in the Black Lodge, knowing it was likely the last thing they would get in the Twin Peaks universe. I do hope The Return has lived up to those die hard fans' expectations after waiting 26 years.

- Tone: I finally appreciated this second season more after finishing it and thinking about how tonally distinct Twin Peaks was for Lynch at the time and how working with a writers' room and on network television helped create such a unique, ungainly, beautiful thing as this 30-episode oddity. TP continued Lynch's preoccupation with the dark heart of American culture using tropes, stock characters, popular narrative styles, etc. to explore it, but in the series the darkness isn't foregrounded as much as in Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart. But for all the second season's campy subplots, there's some interesting viciousness in the non-Black Lodge storylines, especially Nadine and Ben Horne's respective delusions (even if I think the execution was lacking). In a story about trauma being handed down generationally and how the powerful - particularly powerful men - get away with bad deeds under the veneer of bucolic, prosperous American small town life, I think it's telling that go-go 80s stereotype Ben Horne must rewrite Civil War history to get "better" and Nadine - after attempting suicide - regresses to her high school days while manipulating a teenager and all the other adults including Dr. Hayward and Dr. Jacoby (!!) go along with it. The adults (bleep) it all up and then blame the kids.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject:

Welp, The Return is stupid good after only one episode. Lynch is going back to Eraserhead and his short film days for this stuff.

Has he ever put this degree of visual bravura on screen before?

ETA: My God. Special Agent Dale Cooper just went through a giant wall socket and I'm crying with joy.

Also, being on Showtime sure allowed Lynch to film as much T&A as he wanted. I had forgotten how horny his movies could be.

I'm only a few episodes in, and want to collect my thoughts before breaking down individual episodes and scenes, but 1) there's a real generosity in how Lynch gives his aging cast their farewell performances, folks you still normally don't see on television, 2) Lynch is still really peeved at middle-class America - I'm seeing some folks online who really hated the Dougie Jones storyline that starts in Ep. 3, but what a perfect stereotype of American vacuousness!, and 3) Lynch seems to be having a lot of fun playing around satirizing the original series, himself, fan theories, etc. (Michael Cera as Wally Brando paying his respects to Sheriff Harry S. Truman had me cracking up).
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject:

You guys, this is great. Possibly stupid great. I can't believe I was watching Game of Thrones in 2017 instead of The Return ever. I still want to do smaller breakdowns, but I just finished Ep. 8 and I'm floored even when internet memes had clued me into 40% of what I just watched.

What really got me was the frogsect being hatched, and Yeats' "The Second Coming" in my head:
Quote:
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

Has there been a creation myth better realized on the screen ever?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject:

This is melting my face off. It gets even better after Ep. 8. The RR Diner gunshot scene was brilliant.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Starting to get back into it no doubt much to the excitement of everyone following this thread. Quick note: Charlyne Yi crawling across the floor and screaming is how life is now. That's it. That's everything.

SPOILER link:

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Starting to get back into it no doubt much to the excitement of everyone following this thread. Quick note: Charlyne Yi crawling across the floor and screaming is how life is now. That's it. That's everything.

SPOILER link:

Any folks who watched The Return want to chime in? I mean, what a monumental achievement.
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject:

SPOILER link:

Any folks who watched The Return want to chime in? I mean, what a monumental achievement.

Yes. As I wrote in the film thread, when it got consideration for best film of the 2010s, I said, if it was considered a "film," it was head and shoulders above all the rest (albeit with the advantage of scale and length (18 hours) over the others).
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:41 pm    Post subject:

golden armor wrote:

SPOILER link:

Yes. As I wrote in the film thread, when it got consideration for best film of the 2010s, I said, if it was considered a "film," it was head and shoulders above all the rest (albeit with the advantage of scale and length (18 hours) over the others).

Yeah, I'm gradually coming around to the idea that it's one of the greatest visual narratives ever created in the 105-year history of American cinema/television. The Return benefits from 18 hours, but also no American auteur has ever had such longform ambition realized with such artistic control.

The Return finalizes the Twin Peaks narrative of Laura Palmer's murder as one of the great American narratives of trauma ever captured.
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject:

Return again?

https://news.avclub.com/its-rumor-time-is-david-lynch-working-on-a-new-season-1838704486
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: