TEAM USA BASKETBALL THREAD-FIBA Tourney
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: TEAM USA BASKETBALL THREAD-FIBA Tourney

after getting starched by argentina and possibly not getting a spot, van gundy rallies this bastarded team of misfits to the fiba world cup tourney!

https://www.nba.com/article/2018/12/02/usa-qualifies-fiba-world-cup

Last edited by ChickenBeckerman on Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Montevideo, Uruguay (AP) -- Jeff Van Gundy did his job. USA Basketball is headed to the World Cup.

The U.S. rallied late to beat Uruguay 78-70 on Sunday night to wrap up a spot next year in the FIBA World Cup in China. The U.S. won the last two World Cups in 2010 and 2014, and will aim to become the first nation to capture three consecutive gold medals.

Travis Trice scored 17 points in the clinching win for the U.S., which used rosters filled primarily by G League players in qualifying. John Jenkins added 13 points for the Americans (8-2), who have two qualifying games remaining at North Carolina in February.

"No better feeling than representing your country and getting a big road win to qualify for the World Cup!" Jenkins tweeted after the game. "Thank you @usabasketball for this amazing experience and first class treatment. It was truly an honor!"

Gregg Popovich will coach the Americans at the World Cup in China, which also serves as an Olympic qualifier, and he raved about the job Van Gundy did as the U.S. coach in the qualifiers.

"Coach Van Gundy has been brilliant and he's working for pennies, zero pennies," Popovich said. "He wants to do it for the country and he loves coaching. There's nobody better to put a team together quickly."

The U.S. needed a late 12-0 run to finally seize control, and that was enough to clinch the World Cup berth.

"Hell of a job to get us qualified," Van Gundy told the Americans in the winning locker room. "Well done."

Uruguay led 61-54 in the fourth, and was still up 65-60 when the game changed. Jenkins' 3-pointer with just under 2 minutes left put the Americans up by four, and Chasson Randle connected on another 3 on the next U.S. possession to cap the burst and give the U.S. a 72-65 edge.

Scotty Hopson scored 11 points for the U.S., which has used 46 players in the 10 qualifying games played so far — all of them coached by Van Gundy, who was asked by USA Basketball to take G League players and get the country into the World Cup. Bruno Fitipaldo led Uruguay with 17 points.

For the qualifiers, the U.S. used its junior varsity.

Next summer, China will get to see the U.S. varsity.

Van Gundy has used that analogy several times over the past 16 months, and it's fitting — the Americans qualified for the World Cup by using players that were plucked mostly from the G League. FIBA completely overhauled the qualifying system for this event, and most of the qualifying games were played at points in the year where players from the NBA or the top European leagues would not be available.

At the World Cup, the U.S. is going send the best of the best. Or at least, some of the best of the best.

LeBron James, Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant, James Harden, Kawhi Leonard, Russell Westbrook and Chris Paul are all among the 35 players in USA Basketball's pool for the World Cup and the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, though it'll likely be months before the Americans know exactly what group they'll be taking to China to play for Popovich.

"Jeff has done an amazing job under really difficult circumstances," said Golden State coach Steve Kerr, who will assist Popovich next summer. "To have to qualify during the NBA season is a strange format but Jeff is the right guy for the job and he's proven that. ... It's remarkable, to go ahead and do that without our top-flight players."

The World Cup starts Aug. 31. The draw for the 32-team event will be held March 16.

"Frankly, it's a relief," Van Gundy said. "It's a relief to get it done."
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Mike Trudell wrote:

A collection of G-League/overseas players beat Team USA (closing line up of K. Walker, D. Mitchell, H. Barnes, PJ Tucker and B. Lopez handily in a scrimmage just now to close USA practice. Great effort from the unheralded group.
Aug 14, 2019ReplyRetweetFavorite

Jonathan Givony wrote:

This team just defeated the USA Basketball squad headed to China 36-17 in a scrimmage. Are we sure we're sending the right team?
Aug 14, 2019ReplyRetweetFavorite
Jonathan Givony wrote:

Here's the LA Select Team roster USA Basketball assembled, mostly from the FIBA World Cup qualifiers, currently scrimmaging in LA tonight versus the 15 NBA players vying to make the World Cup Team. Cool to see USA Basketball reward some of the guys that helped get them to China.

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1161438371211816961/photo/1
Aug 13, 2019ReplyRetweetFavorite
Jonathan Givony wrote:

Chris Chiozza, Scotty Hopson, Chasson Randle, Ben Moore, John Jenkins, Chinanu Onuaku, Travis Trice, Travis Wear and Derrick White (who is among the 15 NBA players in the main team group) were all USA Basketball members during the World Cup qualifying campaign.
Aug 13, 2019ReplyRetweetFavorite
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: TEAM USA BASKETBALL THREAD-FIBA Tourney

ChickenBeckerman wrote:
after getting starched by argentina and possibly not getting a spot, van gundy rallies this bastarded team of misfits to the fiba world cup tourney!

https://www.nba.com/article/2018/12/02/usa-qualifies-fiba-world-cup

geez thats beyond ridiculous to make the defending champs have to fight for world cup invite and in the middle of the NBA season at that
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Was Pop the one that constructed the roster?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Saying that someone "constructed" this roster is like saying that someone "constructed" the leftovers after a party. All of the good stuff got eaten. You're down to what's left.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Saying that someone "constructed" this roster is like saying that someone "constructed" the leftovers after a party. All of the good stuff got eaten. You're down to what's left.

This team is getting very close to an Athens 2004 conclusion. Seems like it has to take a wakeup call like a tournament loss to get the big names to show up for Team USA these days.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject:

People calling it TEAM USA-Celtics.

Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Not really.

They still had a bunch of guys they could of called up.....

Gorden/Issac, DLO, Levert, Dinwiddie, Jarrett Allen, Gary Harris, John Collins, etc
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject:

Kobesystem wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Not really.

Gorden/Issac, DLO, Levert, Dinwiddie, Jarrett Allen, Gary Harris, John Collins, etc

As far as we know, Team USA called some or all of those guys, and they passed. Anyway, I don't know that any of those guys are better than the existing roster.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

This team is getting very close to an Athens 2004 conclusion. Seems like it has to take a wakeup call like a tournament loss to get the big names to show up for Team USA these days.

Can we bring back Allen Iverson as an assistant coach or something? I just had to go find this picture:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-08/16/content_365708.htm
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Kobesystem wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Not really.

As far as we know, Team USA called some or all of those guys, and they passed. Anyway, I don't know that any of those guys are better than the existing roster.

I think Booker was the only young kid that passed.....

You mean the team that has marcus smart, Plumlee, derrick white, etc....

The starting lineup of DLO/Levert/Harris/Gordon/Allen is better than Kemba/Mitchell/Barnes/Tatum/Turner
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject:

^^^^

We don't know who passed unless it got leaked to the media. Jarrett Allen was involved, but didn't make the team. Ditto for John Collins.

Anyway, I don't know why you think that lineup would be anything special. Gary Harris? Eh. I can see an argument for Russell, but he's not in the same weight class as Kemba Walker and maybe not Marcus Smart.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject:

Almost lost to Turkey... no bueno
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject:

From what I've read, it sounds like Turkey choked this one away.

When and if we crash out of this tournament, I wonder whether this will generate the same level of angst as before. I'm not sure that it will. Some people will freak out, but I think a lot more people will just shrug this time around.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
People calling it TEAM USA-Celtics.

That's fine with me...no way this team walks away with Gold.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

When and if we crash out of this tournament, I wonder whether this will generate the same level of angst as before. I'm not sure that it will. Some people will freak out, but I think a lot more people will just shrug this time around.

The stakes aren't as high as say the Finals or Olympics but this might be among the all time worse choke jobs. Missed 4 free throws in overtime. Fouling a 3 point shooter at the end of regulation while up 2.
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Turkey doesn't even have Kanter on their team....

Team USA really has no excuse to lose to Turkey or any other team honestly. Lots of A level players rejected this summer, but the talent pool is too big and good for that to even be a legit reason.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Kobesystem wrote:
Turkey doesn't even have Kanter on their team....

Team USA really has no excuse to lose to Turkey or any other team honestly. Lots of A level players rejected this summer, but the talent pool is too big and good for that to even be a legit reason.

Ilyasova is Turkey's best player. Ugh...to barely (luckily) escape with the W.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject:

Mountaineers always representing.....

https://twitter.com/FIBAWC/status/1169194655138795521

I see you Gary Brown...
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject:

basketball is one of those sports where any team could lose on any given night and this USA team clearly doesnt have enough talent to churn out comfortable wins on a bad night.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:02 am    Post subject:

US didn’t have much trouble with Greece even though Giannis was playing for them.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:07 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

The stakes aren't as high as say the Finals or Olympics but this might be among the all time worse choke jobs. Missed 4 free throws in overtime. Fouling a 3 point shooter at the end of regulation while up 2.

I think this tournament is taken more seriously by a lot of the fans of other countries. On YouTube it seems like I’m seeing a ton of comments from European fans, with most of them rooting for the US to lose. They keep saying Serbia is going to destroy the US. But many of them thought Greece would beat the US and that didn’t happen.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I think this tournament is taken more seriously by a lot of the fans of other countries. On YouTube it seems like I’m seeing a ton of comments from European fans, with most of them rooting for the US to lose. They keep saying Serbia is going to destroy the US. But many of them thought Greece would beat the US and that didn’t happen.

Serbia just got their behinds handed to them by what seems like a rejuvenated Spanish team. It was 20-13 Serbia after Q1 and then the wheels came right off. They might be one of the favourites to win, but I doubt they destroy the US.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:39 am    Post subject:

Nobody wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Serbia just got their behinds handed to them by what seems like a rejuvenated Spanish team. It was 20-13 Serbia after Q1 and then the wheels came right off. They might be one of the favourites to win, but I doubt they destroy the US.

I think it’s a lot of wishful thinking on their part. They are tired of seeing the US easily win this tournament (and in the Olympics too) and will root for any team that plays the US.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: