Would the Lakers have KL if Jerry was here instead of Clips?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would the Lakers have KL if Jerry was here instead of Clips?
Yes
48%
 48%  [ 44 ]
No
51%
 51%  [ 46 ]
Total Votes : 90

DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Alot of us were not happy when we learned the Maginka FO did not make getting Jerry back a priority (or that Jeannie wouldnt let it). If you dig far enough into those posts back then I'm pretty certain a number of us felt it would bite us in the rear - and it did.

The thing with Jerry West is this. Alot of GM's and FO's think 2-3 moves ahead...as you should. He thinks like 10 moves ahead and is always refining the plan. He's a perfectionist, to a fault. He has OCD when it comes to his work - and by that I mean in the driven, demand that he succeed and not be one-over'd by anyone. He is extremely tough on himself. For all intents and purposes he is the polar opposite of what Magic provided as an executive.

Every move the Clippers made for awhile now had a direct purpose. KL was also tabbed as their guy very early. While they whiffed on adding another FA they also had a plan B / C with trade assets, which is what pulled them through.

He is extremely sincere and wins players over, even from different generations, with a graceful and respectful charm. Shaq noticed it. KD noticed it. So did KL.

He's the ultimate front office closer and planner. I miss him as part of our organization and the one lingering frustration I will have with the current Lakers FO and ownership is not ensuring he always had a seat at the table.

If we had him, I dont know if we have KL, but I do know this - the noise around the roster and the FO would be minimal. And yes, we would be contenders.

P.S. I also do not know of any other executive where a common saying among some of the fan base was "in__, we trust". I recall that being one amongst some of the fans I knew back when he was with the Lakers: "In Jerry, we trust."
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject:

^No doubt Jerry West has the players' respect across generations. Looks like JW had a chance to chat with Lebron and AD in summer league after the #2 news was announced.
chains
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject:

acer77 wrote:
Woj said Kawhi would be a Laker today had the Clips been unable to get PG. And the reason they got it done was because Jerry West traded Griffin and Harris to stockpile all those #1s. The man is a GENIUS.

That is hilarious. A 90 year old nervous wreck is a genius.

Once again another LGer listening to the media. Kwak was going to be a Clipper no matter what. I call BS, that he would of came here if PG13 didn't go to the Clippers. He tricked us to weaken us. He used us as leverage. He was never coming here. U think Kwak cares if JW is there or not. He cares about the situation. Doc is his coach and the players around him.

Stockpiling picks is genius. Then Danny Ainge is a genius as well. So is Presti. So is Griffin. So you understand business, these GMs are doing whats obvious. Why isn't our front office genius. After the Kwak debacle they have recovered fantastically. Oh wait a minute, the media says we are in shambles.

Magic is a moron according to you all. But he put us in this position to have cap space with one year deals last year and he got us Lebron. He made his errors, but u think JW never made an error. JW is a good guy but not a genius. Steve Jobs is a genius. Remember some of the stupidity came from Kupchak who gave Mosgov a multiyear deal. Magic cleaned that. His screw up was opening his mouth.

The misconception here is that no front office has issues. I guarantee you there was a lot of drama when KD went down for GSW. They were pissed and some were taking the blame. Then they lost KD. U don't think fingers aren't being pointed. We just do not hear about it.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Where's the "Nobody Has Any F'ing Idea" option?
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject:

All the anger should be pointed at K-Lie.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: