THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1575, 1576, 1577 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Joe Biden ain't doing so good on the internet today either. You can google his comments at a rich fundraiser last night for details. I know I will vote for either of them if they become the candidate, but I am so done with old white male patriarchy. It just drips from both of them in everything they say and the way they treat others, especially women and people of color. It's so ingrained I'm not even sure they know they're doing it half the time. But it's stomach churning. I would enthusiastically vote for almost any of the other candidates, younger white males, middle-age white males, latino/asian males, gay males, white women, black women, black males. But sorry, the old white dudes are out of step with modern culture and modern realities.

I fully expect Warren to make a run once the debates start. She's the best candidate.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Joe Biden ain't doing so good on the internet today either. You can google his comments at a rich fundraiser last night for details. I know I will vote for either of them if they become the candidate, but I am so done with old white male patriarchy. It just drips from both of them in everything they say and the way they treat others, especially women and people of color. It's so ingrained I'm not even sure they know they're doing it half the time. But it's stomach churning. I would enthusiastically vote for almost any of the other candidates, younger white males, middle-age white males, latino/asian males, gay males, white women, black women, black males. But sorry, the old white dudes are out of step with modern culture and modern realities.

Yep. Saw them this morning. As I have been saying for a while now, Biden is just completely out of touch with the world today and too stubborn and/or foolish to try and acclimate to it.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Just saw Trump's comment on the Central Park 5.
Made my blood boil.

He's appealing to his racist base. There are no both sides. It was proven the young men were coerced into admitting guilt. None of the DNA evidence matched them, it matched the person who committed the crime proving their innocence.

Donald Trump proves more and more, almost daily, he's a racist.

Any who haven't watched The Central Park 5 I recommend it. It's not for those who are easily upset.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Faux pas at it's apex.

Joe Biden Promises Rich Donors He Won’t ‘Demonize’ The Wealthy If Elected President

LINK

Quote:
Former Vice President Joe Biden told a roomful of well-heeled donors on Tuesday night that he would not “demonize” the rich if he’s elected president in the 2020 election. “I need you very badly,” he told the group.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Made my blood boil.

He's appealing to his racist base. There are no both sides. It was proven the young men were coerced into admitting guilt. None of the DNA evidence matched them, it matched the person who committed the crime proving their innocence.

Any who haven't watched The Central Park 5 I recommend it. It's not for those who are easily upset.

When They See Us is the Netflix Mini Series

The Central Park Five is the documentary made in 2012.

The Netflix series is excellent but I could only watch it in short segments.

Very painful to watch.

I saw the documentary when it came out... that was oddly easier to watch even though those were the real people.

Don't get me wrong, it was still difficult but the series went a lot deeper into the cost to their personal lives.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Made my blood boil.

When They See Us is the Netflix Mini Series

The Central Park Five is the documentary made in 2012.

The Netflix series is excellent but I could only watch it in short segments.

Very painful to watch.

I saw the documentary when it came out... that was oddly easier to watch even though those were the real people.

Don't get me wrong, it was still difficult but the series went a lot deeper into the cost to their personal lives.

I meant When They See Us. Convicted sex offenders must register and report, I think, monthly to a probation officer, not associate with felons, submit to drug tests and so many other stipulations I can't list them all. To be relieved of all the must do's is a heavy burden removed for the CP5. They seem to have come through on the upside. Only one remains in New York.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject:

What will be Teflon Don's damaging material, his steel wool pad?

Hope Hicks Declines to Answer Lawmakers’ Questions on Transition and White House

LINK

Quote:
But if the hearing held out the promise of kick-starting Democrats’ stalled investigations into Mr. Trump, it quickly veered toward an increasingly familiar outcome. It took place in public rather than private. And under the direction of White House, Ms. Hicks declined to answer nearly every question about her time working in the administration, citing instructions from the president that she was “absolutely immune” from answering, lawmakers from both parties said.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Yep. Saw them this morning. As I have been saying for a while now, Biden is just completely out of touch with the world today and too stubborn and/or foolish to try and acclimate to it.

And in further proof that Biden just doesn't get it and is incapable of learning from his missteps and adjusting to the current political climate, Biden doubles down by saying that Booker should apologize to him.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Bernie is full of (bleep)

Warren, the female Democrat who is leading him in the polls, is exactly the opposite of what he claims - and he knows it.

And this is why I have completely turned against Bernie - he's just a bitter lying sack of excrement. Obviously I'd vote for him if he's the candidate in 2020, but it is fortunate that isn't likely to happen.

One of the best things about Bernie is the worst thing about Bernie... that he is so far left and takes the radical left with him. Easy to hate, in a sense, because it fractures the party, but also advantageous in that it moves the party back to the further left where it should have always been. Case in point - if Elizabeth Warren, whose policies would have been seen as a radical leftist pre-Trump, is now seen as some kind of democratic centrist, that is definitely due in part to Bernie. I'm not saying she or anyone else wins because of Bernie, but certainly Bernie has made it a lot easier to be a true liberal. He deserves credit for that, no matter what else one may think of him.

And Biden feels, and has always felt, like a wolf in sheep's clothing. Obama needed him because he was more centrist and experienced. However, he's a 1990s president two decades later. Its not his time. I would be somewhat surprised if he ends up winning the primary.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
I fully expect Warren to make a run once the debates start. She's the best candidate.

Couldn't agree more. Been saying it for months.
And when she first announced she was running. I had little to no opinion of her. Just didn't know much about her. But the more I educated myself on the candidates, the more she stood out.

As the electorate gets more and more informed, and the primary progresses. I believe she will distinguish herself from the rest. Mayor Pete also has momentum. But he's more or less trying to duplicate Obama's rhetoric and strategy. But politics have changed so much since 2008. It's no longer the winning formula for this current political climate.

Last edited by kikanga on Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

And when she first announced she was running. I had little to no opinion of her. Just didn't know much about her. But the more I educated myself on the candidates, the more she stood out.

As the electorate gets more and more informed, and the primary progresses. I believe she will distinguish herself from the rest. Mayor Pete also has momentum. But he's more or less trying to duplicate Obama's rhetoric and strategy. But politics have changed so much since 2008. It's no longer the winning formula for this current political climate.

Hed be a great VP though.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
kikanga wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Agreed. If Warren wasn't running, I'd strongly consider voting for him in the primary. I hope he's willing to accept the VP position. 8 years is a long time to be in a largely ceremonial position. But that 8 years of experience could make him not only a charismatic Presidential candidate for our future, but a well prepared candidate as well.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Bernie is full of (bleep)

Warren, the female Democrat who is leading him in the polls, is exactly the opposite of what he claims - and he knows it.

And this is why I have completely turned against Bernie - he's just a bitter lying sack of excrement. Obviously I'd vote for him if he's the candidate in 2020, but it is fortunate that isn't likely to happen.

One of the best things about Bernie is the worst thing about Bernie... that he is so far left and takes the radical left with him. Easy to hate, in a sense, because it fractures the party, but also advantageous in that it moves the party back to the further left where it should have always been. Case in point - if Elizabeth Warren, whose policies would have been seen as a radical leftist pre-Trump, is now seen as some kind of democratic centrist, that is definitely due in part to Bernie. I'm not saying she or anyone else wins because of Bernie, but certainly Bernie has made it a lot easier to be a true liberal. He deserves credit for that, no matter what else one may think of him.

And Biden feels, and has always felt, like a wolf in sheep's clothing. Obama needed him because he was more centrist and experienced. However, he's a 1990s president two decades later. Its not his time. I would be somewhat surprised if he ends up winning the primary.

I'm as left as it gets. I was on the Bernie Buss in 2016. I love the idea of moving the Dems further left, and he has certainly done that to a degree. But we have to be honest about Bernie. He says a lot of flowery words about being progressive, but he's every bit the old school politics he claims he is against. He's flat out completely dishonest, despite the fact that he's baffled some people with his "hip old man" act.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Bernie the one man Overton window
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:30 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Do you guys really want to lose to Trump two elections in a row? Because nominating Warren is how you do that
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:46 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Do you guys really want to lose to Trump two elections in a row? Because nominating Warren is how you do that

I trust the primary process. If Warren wins it means she has the biggest chunk of the party's support. Which bodes well for turnout (and that's what matters most). Perceived electability (especially this early in the process) doesn't count for much. At this point in 2015. Trump just announced he was running for President. And he was a huge underdog. Obama at this point in 2007, huge underdog too. Hillary at this point in 2015, huge favorite.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:28 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

I trust the primary process. If Warren wins it means she has the biggest chunk of the party's support. Which bodes well for turnout (and that's what matters most). Perceived electability (especially this early in the process) doesn't count for much. At this point in 2015. Trump just announced he was running for President. And he was a huge underdog. Obama at this point in 2007, huge underdog too. Hillary at this point in 2015, huge favorite.

Warren might have her policies trumping Trump all day but we all know that's all gonna be background noise when Trump pump his venoms towards her. That's gonna be all medial talk about, Pocahontas over and over. She has an uphill battle but she'll get all our votes
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject:

War helps incumbent president

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/20/middleeast/iran-drone-claim-hnk-intl/index.html

Iran shoots down US drone aircraft
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Warren might have her policies trumping Trump all day but we all know that's all gonna be background noise when Trump pump his venoms towards her. That's gonna be all medial talk about, Pocahontas over and over. She has an uphill battle but she'll get all our votes

I’m convinced it will be the same with any Democratic candidate. With Warren it will be Pocahontas. With Biden it will be the hair sniffing of little girls. People are already creating ironic posters like the famous Hope Obama poster with Biden’s most recent quote to his wealthy donors, “Nothing will fundamentally change.” With Mayor Pete it will be his sexuality and/or Alfred E Neumann. With Bernie he’ll invoke Venezuela and the evils of socialism.

It’s going to be a circus no matter what.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
governator wrote:

I’m convinced it will be the same with any Democratic candidate. With Warren it will be Pocahontas. With Biden it will be the hair sniffing of little girls. People are already creating ironic posters like the famous Hope Obama poster with Biden’s most recent quote to his wealthy donors, “Nothing will fundamentally change.” With Mayor Pete it will be his sexuality and/or Alfred E Neumann. With Bernie he’ll invoke Venezuela and the evils of socialism.

true, just feel like with Warren, it'll be amplified, she's like Hillary part 2 for Trump (they diff completely by the way but both older white women)
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject:

A new poll asked voters who they'd prefer in 2020 if the 'perceived electability' factor was removed

Quote:
When perceived electability is removed from consideration, the Democratic primary race tightens significantly.

When choosing a preferred president absent considerations of electability, 21% chose Warren, 19% chose Biden, 19% chose Sanders, 16% chose Buttigieg, 12% chose Harris, and 4% chose O’Rourke.

Quote:
This poll points to gender as the primary factor when considering who is and who is not electable.

Quote:
Gender appears to have a greater effect on perceived electability than age, race, ideology, or sexual orientation.

19% of those who would make a female candidate president believe that gender is a primary barrier to increasing electability.

Among those who raise gender as an issue, 62% express beliefs that American voters will not elect a woman. Their concerns are not about the capability of female candidates, so much as they are about the willingness of Americans to elect a woman.

This data suggests that at the time the survey was conducted, the preferred candidate by a small margin when electability is removed from the equation, is a woman.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

The important difference is we’ve seen Trump and what he is and what happened in 2016.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
kikanga wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Agreed. If Warren wasn't running, I'd strongly consider voting for him in the primary. I hope he's willing to accept the VP position. 8 years is a long time to be in a largely ceremonial position. But that 8 years of experience could make him not only a charismatic Presidential candidate for our future, but a well prepared candidate as well.

It's also 4-8 years for the country to get used to the idea of having a gay person in the executive branch.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
The important difference is we’ve seen Trump and what he is and what happened in 2016.

Not sure what you mean by that. Your post could be interpreted alot of different ways.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:

Trump is the constant in the equation. No candidate or campaign is immune.
That's why uniting behind the primary winner is the only logical decision. Trying to avoid Trump's cheap tactics is like a blue dog Democrat trying to avoid the effects of Fox News's propaganda.
Doesn't matter how far to the center a candidate tries to pivot. Doesn't matter how much time a candidate dedicates to talking about "unity". The right wing propaganda machine is still going to portray them as badly as the farthest left candidate leading up to the election.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1575, 1576, 1577 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 1576 of 3671
Jump to: