THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1572, 1573, 1574 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
ribeye wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Question..

Say Warren gets the Nomination

Do the Presidential candidates that were also trying to win the Nod get a chance to offer their services as Vice President or does she pick anyone she wants after she gets the Nod?

I guess I am asking .. How is VP picked?

That is and must be the candidate's choice.

Well I guess the candidate does have only the best interests of the DNC and Country so .. I can give them that

Can Obama be a Vice President?

No. Per the 12th Amendment: "But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States."
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:
There's a reason House Democrats haven't started impeachment proceedings against President Donald Trump yet: almost none of their most vulnerable members support the move.

CNN reached out to 41 freshmen Democrats who flipped Republican seats last year to ask if they currently support starting an impeachment inquiry. The results were telling -- nearly half (20) didn't respond. Of those who did, the vast majority were either a "no" or undecided.

Known as the "majority makers" or "front-liners," this group was key to securing the Democrats' House majority last year. And Democratic leaders are intensely focused on holding those districts in 2020.

That gives these members enormous influence in whatever direction the party takes -- and hardly any are calling for impeachment.

Of the 43 Democratic challengers who flipped seats from red to blue in 2018, only two -- Reps. Tom Malinowski of New Jersey and Mary Gay Scanlon of Pennsylvania -- have publicly said they support opening an impeachment inquiry. And only Scanlon represents a more liberal seat than her Republican predecessor due to redistricting.

Impeachment Put's House in Great Jeopardy

Been saying this for a while. Impeachment is doing well in safe liberal districts, and like their right wing counterparts, they think that is reality writ large.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
governator wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Bill Maher has turned into such an (bleep) lately that it's almost insufferable.

Yep, and you can remove the "almost" part.

why? became too centrist?

He's a pompous, pretentious, smug, arrogant, condescending ahole who is nowhere near as interesting as he professes to be. It just ruins any sense of reasonable discussion.

I love the guy.

He's got a fairly strong voice for a comedian, so much that he doesn't always get the leeway that fellows on the brassier side of comedy are generally granted about certain subjects. He was the first and only person on TV telling the Dem candidates to go on Fox and that they're gonna have to go to places that the party apparatus has avoided. Not just that. He was the first to decry the "thoughts and prayers" BS after mass shootings and is still the most vocal behind that. He has done a yeoman's job of calling out the left for its own intolerance. He has been the most vocal champion of atheists for a long time. He's an (bleep), yes, but he's the kind who'd take that as a compliment, tbh.

I should say that I don't take issue with most of the things he addresses and is a proponent of. It's the needless and unproductive condescension etc. that I feel detracts from his message and the show. And I am aware that he proudly wears the metaphorical a-hole hat withe same misplaced bravado of the MAGA hat wearers, but that doesn't make it any more acceptable.

You see Jon Stewart advocate for 9/11 responders in Congress today? Man. He always brings it. I love both, and both are very sarcastic in their comedic style, but there's a much different tone between the two. I think that's what you were probably getting at.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:29 am    Post subject:

Youtube's Some More News scratches that Jon Stewart itch better than anybody else I have found.

focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:
focus wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
GOP Attack on Women Number 3,987: Breast feeding

A resolution to encourage breast-feeding was expected to be approved quickly and easily by the hundreds of government delegates who gathered this spring in Geneva for the United Nations-affiliated World Health Assembly.

Based on decades of research, the resolution says that mother’s milk is healthiest for children and countries should strive to limit the inaccurate or misleading marketing of breast milk substitutes.

Then the United States delegation, embracing the interests of infant formula manufacturers, upended the deliberations.

American officials sought to water down the resolution by removing language that called on governments to “protect, promote and support breast-feeding” and another passage that called on policymakers to restrict the promotion of food products that many experts say can have deleterious effects on young children.

When that failed, they turned to threats, according to diplomats and government officials who took part in the discussions. Ecuador, which had planned to introduce the measure, was the first to find itself in the cross hairs.

The Americans were blunt: If Ecuador refused to drop the resolution, Washington would unleash punishing trade measures and withdraw crucial military aid. The Ecuadorean government quickly acquiesced.

Trump really appears to have let the Christian groups have free reign at so many different levels in so many areas. I feel like his bluster and the Russia collusion stories and his response is providing the cover to what is happening at the nitty-gritty level. He talks about Christians being unfairly treated but I don't see too much news about what is happening on the ground in these matters too often. Between this and DeVos for education and probably plenty of other areas, there's maybe a quiet takeover on the ground. Abortion is obvious, but maybe there are a ton of not so obvious. This post makes me think how deep their influence must be if they feel so much free reign that they can run around international orgs to fight friggin misleading marketing of breast feeding. Media should report on what's going on at the lesser reported agencies to see what's really happening.

Interesting article otherwise too.

Just to be fair, this issue has nothing to do with Christian groups or their interests. It is surely true that Christian groups, as well as many other special interest groups, have Trump's attention and influence him. But the article mentions nothing about Christian groups or how their influence, in particular, make the difference in how Trump views this particular issue. I don't see the connection.

Many do indeed perceive that Muslims are much more welcome on the Left side of American politics than Christians are. True or not, I don't see how that influences anything in a breastfeeding "for or against" debate.

Agree with your main point, last sentence. I read Christian groups into this. I had in mind ChefLinda's earlier post of a tweetstorm of somebody's Nazi-Christianity historical research and how it applied to Trump in my mind, and wrongly assumed without any support in the article that it was a religious push by Christian orgs. Could well just be infant formula companies (or others) pushing it alone, i.e. just U.S. business/economic motivation for their misguided push.

As to the Muslim thing, I don't know what you're saying there as it relates to this article either. Taking it as a statment on its own, the many who "do indeed perceive" are wrong in their view. I think Evangelical Christian political issues are not welcome on the political left, true, but not Christians overall. And Christian issues are broader than those the religious political right presents as defining Christianity. I believe there are more Christians than Jews, atheists, Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists, non-affiliated and any other religion combined in the political left, or even the overall left.

Anyway for your main point, I am glad you pointed out my mistake so I could reconsider. Thanks for correcting me.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Joe Biden leads by 53% to 40%

Bernie Sanders 51%, Trump 42%
Kamala Harris 49%, Trump 41%
Elizabeth Warren 49%, Trump 42%
Pete Buttigieg 47%, Trump 42%
Cory Booker 47%, Trump 42%

The one thing I find flawed in this type of poll is what do these numbers actually mean in reality. That 6% difference for example. Is that 6% of voters actually not going to vote? Doubtful

There's no doubt the poll demonstrates a preference by voters for a specific candidate. But in practice I don't think it has any true meaning in regards to what would actually happen if one candidate versus the other was the actual candidate.

I'm not questioning the numbers or their accuracy. I just think it's a poll for polls sake, because as soon as one of those Primary candidates becomes the Party's candidate, those numbers really become meaningless. It's not really an accurate depiction of how any of them would actually fare against Trump in the General Election.

You mean the difference in the leads over Trump by Biden compared to the others? Well, it's mostly because Biden does better against Trump with white voters and men. So it appears, as of right now, some white voters, who might been turned off by Trump, aren't quite ready to support some of these relatively unknown/women candidates, but are more comfortable with Biden.

It's still early, yes. But it'll be interesting to see the trends over the next few weeks and months, especially after the debates begin, and whether these numbers will change.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

You see Jon Stewart advocate for 9/11 responders in Congress today? Man. He always brings it. I love both, and both are very sarcastic in their comedic style, but there's a much different tone between the two. I think that's what you were probably getting at.

I did. It was powerfully moving.

For the Mahre fans, I suggest watching Jordan Klepper's new show "Klepper". It's not a panel show, so it's not a direct comparison, but the intent is the same. Jordan does all the things Mahre does - sarcasm, derision etc. - but does so in a much more effective way because it is subtle, has an actual purpose, and doesn't come with Mahre's attitude of "Look at me! I'm the smartest (bleep) in the room and soooo much better than all you (bleep) morons". It's far more entertaining and interesting than watching Mahre's aggressive posturing and smugness.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

For the Mahre fans, I suggest watching Jordan Klepper's new show "Klepper". It's not a panel show, so it's not a direct comparison, but the intent is the same. Jordan does all the things Mahre does - sarcasm, derision etc. - but does so in a much more effective way because it is subtle, has an actual purpose, and doesn't come with Mahre's attitude of "Look at me! I'm the smartest (bleep) in the room and soooo much better than all you (bleep) morons". It's far more entertaining and interesting than watching Mahre's aggressive posturing and smugness.

As much as I enjoyed The Opposition, watching his new show and re-watching his show about guns just shows that Comedy Central made the right call. He's so much better in the field amongst the people than he is behind a desk.

Maher is very much at the mercy of his guests. His monologues and solo bits are pure ego. It reminds me of Dennis Miller after he got some notoriety. I never got that vibe from John Stewart.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

The one thing I find flawed in this type of poll is what do these numbers actually mean in reality. That 6% difference for example. Is that 6% of voters actually not going to vote? Doubtful

There's no doubt the poll demonstrates a preference by voters for a specific candidate. But in practice I don't think it has any true meaning in regards to what would actually happen if one candidate versus the other was the actual candidate.

I'm not questioning the numbers or their accuracy. I just think it's a poll for polls sake, because as soon as one of those Primary candidates becomes the Party's candidate, those numbers really become meaningless. It's not really an accurate depiction of how any of them would actually fare against Trump in the General Election.

You mean the difference in the leads over Trump by Biden compared to the others? Well, it's mostly because Biden does better against Trump with white voters and men. So it appears, as of right now, some white voters, who might been turned off by Trump, aren't quite ready to support some of these relatively unknown/women candidates, but are more comfortable with Biden.

It's still early, yes. But it'll be interesting to see the trends over the next few weeks and months, especially after the debates begin, and whether these numbers will change.

That's why these margins are not that interesting to me at this stage. I don't think people are paying that much attention yet to even learn about a Buttigieg, or get reminded of Bernie, or consider Warren in her new manner. Same goes for the rest, Harris, Inslee, Gabbard, Booker, etc. Biden is the only utterly known candidate from the Obama effect and all his decades of entrenched whatever.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject:

The value of Biden is he is the perfect anti Trump candidate. Just lives in his head, and appeals to a broad range of getable swing voters. And in a lot of ways he's a good transition from Trump.

If we are talking policy, there's a whole different list of people I'd choose from. But that's secondary to me because I think even biden will follow the house and senate if they pass progressive legislation. He just won't lead on a lot of it.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
Wilt wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

That's why these margins are not that interesting to me at this stage. I don't think people are paying that much attention yet to even learn about a Buttigieg, or get reminded of Bernie, or consider Warren in her new manner. Same goes for the rest, Harris, Inslee, Gabbard, Booker, etc. Biden is the only utterly known candidate from the Obama effect and all his decades of entrenched whatever.

That's an asset. We don't know how much that will carry him in the long run, but it helps, especially with black voters in the Dem primary, just as it helped Hillary in 2016 over Bernie. And if you can't win over black voters, especially black women, in the primary, you will lose.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Thanks, I'll check it out.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Election of Trump using the assistance of Russian Goverment Agents and Spies
Via Social Media and Hacking of Voting Machines
And Physically visiting the election offices iirc

Was a 9/11 in my patriotic opinion

Proof he wanted topersonally thank them for it
He met the Russian Ambassadors in full privacy kicking out all Americans.
He meets Putin in Private
Thanks him for being such a great leader etc

The fact the media hasn't come out and called this a 9/11 type Terrorist Attack is something to consider

Trump is so compromised it is beyond dangerous to all Americans

As soon as he became president he setup electronic/internet spying on all of us to track his enemies. Smirk! Give a lunatic that much power they will hurt you too.

He IS OBVIOUSLY a Russian Asset

How hard is that for Fox News and Holy Christians to understand and defend us from?

Last edited by ContagiousInspiration on Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject:

^^Very Frustrated in my fellow Americans

The Trump admin is trying to hide Everything
Why is that?

Our Attorney General is straight Gestapo
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject:

In an interview with ABC, Trump admitted that if offered foreign help again in 2020, he'd accept it. When told that the FBI director said that a campaign should report any foreign help to the FBI, he said the FBI director is wrong.

If he has any integrity, Christopher Wray should resign. But I doubt it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
In an interview with ABC, Trump admitted that if offered foreign help again in 2020, he'd accept it. When told that the FBI director said that a campaign should report any foreign help to the FBI, he said the FBI director is wrong.

He makes statements like that with no trepidation. Democrats have not found a way to confront Trump. He lies, makes outlandish statements without worry. He knows his lies will be taken as truth by his camp.

Integrity is not woven into the fabric of this administration. So many are revealing their true colors. It's disturbing. They support racism. It's becoming more and more evident.

The ballot box is our path back to what America has been. I heard it said this administration is a aberration. IS IT?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Wilt wrote:

He makes statements like that with no trepidation. Democrats have not found a way to confront Trump. He lies, makes outlandish statements without worry. He knows his lies will be taken as truth by his camp.

Integrity is not woven into the fabric of this administration. So many are revealing their true colors. It's disturbing. They support racism. It's becoming more and more evident.

The ballot box is our path back to what America has been. I heard it said this administration is a aberration. IS IT?

There was an interview on CNN with voters in Iowa and they asked a woman, “Doesn’t it bother you how much Trump lies?”. She responded, “yes, it bothers me a little, but it won’t change my vote. I’m still voting for Trump.”

We are so close to seeing the Republic fall.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject:

2016-2018: No collusion. No collusion. No collusion.

2019-2020: Sure I'd collude. Anyone would. What's wrong with collusion? Are you an idiot? Of course I would collude with a foreign government to win in 2020. Call the FBI? lol
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
2016-2018: No collusion. No collusion. No collusion.

2019-2020: Sure I'd collude. Anyone would. What's wrong with collusion? Are you an idiot? Of course I would collude with a foreign government to win in 2020. Call the FBI? lol

[GOP]Nothing to see here folks. Move along. Move along[/GOP]
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Wilt wrote:

There was an interview on CNN with voters in Iowa and they asked a woman, “Doesn’t it bother you how much Trump lies?”. She responded, “yes, it bothers me a little, but it won’t change my vote. I’m still voting for Trump.”

Look at Mr. Optimistic over here. Implying the Republic hasn't fallen yet.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Look at Mr. Optimistic over here. Implying the Republic hasn't fallen yet.

It's clearly off the rails, but it hasn't crashed yet. Which is why it's important to focus on getting things on track before we hit the next switching station.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
It's clearly off the rails, but it hasn't crashed yet. Which is why it's important to focus on getting things on track before we hit the next switching station.

Seems like it's a race to the bottom just to beat him.
We won't impeach. Biden is a favorite for the nomination (so far), even though he's constantly behind issues.
Dem party leaders should probably collude with China too. Just to make sure we win in 2020. Otherwise we're bringing a knife to a gun fight. Since Trump will work with Russia again.
The Republic as we knew it is already lost. Trump has forever changed the US political spectrum, for the Democrats too. And having found success. I expect the GOP to turn out more and more Trumps even after he's out of office (which may be 2024).

Last edited by kikanga on Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

538 also thinks it's a pretty meaningless number to look at this early on, though I see why people find it interesting.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:

Thanks, I'll check it out.

And I hope you enjoy it. There’s enough toxicity in the world right now. No need for it to emanate from those we look to for entertainment and think are promoting a message we ascribe to.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject:

I usually don't wish ill will on anyone but in the case of SHS I hope no one employs her. She's as much a deviant as Trump. He lied she swore to them.

Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders Leaving The White House

LINK

Quote:
Sanders addressed her departure at a White House event. "This has been the honor of a lifetime, the opportunity of a lifetime," she said. “It's truly been something I will treasure forever. It’s one of the greatest jobs I could ever have. I have loved every minute, even the hard minutes. … It's the truly the most special experience. The only one I can think of that might top it just a little bit is the fact that I’m a mom. I have three amazing kids. And I’m going to spend a little more time with them."

How can she face those kids? How much hell are they catching in school because of her tenure as PS? IMO she's shameless. I have no sympathy for her I do her children.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1572, 1573, 1574 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 1573 of 3663
Jump to: