THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1545, 1546, 1547 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
ribeye wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
White House/DOJ tells McGahn to defy Congressional subpoena and not testify.

Is it a Constitutional crisis yet?

Whatever label one wants to give it, it is time for an impeachment inquiry.

Since we know the Senate won't convict. I'm wondering if the Dems can time an impeachment inquiry perfectly so Election day hits right before the Senate can make their decision to not convict. Maximum exposure of Trump crimes with minimal damage from the Senate's decision.

We are only talking about a fact finding inquiry that allows greater access to witnesses and documents. We should let this take us where the evidence leads us. Everyone should be careful to prejudge in public where this will go, though, many, if not most of us, probably believe Trump to be guilty of a multitude of crimes and indiscretions. If the evidence is strong, go to trial. If the Republicans want to continue to protect Trump, we will have to hope that more will be appalled by this than not.

Then again, maybe not. With this judge honoring the subpoena on Trump's accounting firm, maybe more similar decisions will follow
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject:

House Intel Committee releases Michael Cohen's closed-door testimony

Quote:
The House Intelligence Committee voted Monday to publicly release testimony and exhibits provided by President Trump's former personal lawyer, Michael Cohen.

Cohen testified before the committee behind closed doors in February and March of this year. The transcript of the February session runs 238 pages, and the March testimony spans 403 pages. The committee voted 12 to 7 to release the transcripts Monday evening.

https://docs.house.gov/meetings/IG/IG00/20190520/109549/HMTG-116-IG00-20190520-SD002.pdf

EXECUTIVE SESSION
PERMANENT SELECT COMMITTEE ON INTELLIGENCE,
U.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES,
WASHINGTON, D.C.
DEPOSITION OF: MICHAEL COHEN
Thursday, February 28, 2019
Washington, D.C.
The deposition in the above matter was held in Room HVC-304, Capitol
Visitor Center, commencing at 9:35 a.m.
Present: Representatives Schiff, Himes, Sewell, Carson, Speier, Quigley,
Swalwell, Castro, Heck, Welch, Maloney, Demings, Krishnamoorthi, Nunes,Conaway, Turner, Wenstrup, Stewart, Crawford, Stefanik, Hurd, and Ratcliffe
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Against the howling of the DNC and warnings from Left wing punditry, Mayor Pete went straight into the belly of the beast and called out Fox News, and their promotion of hate, bigotry, and racism and spoke the truth directly to a crowd of Fox indoctrinees. Yeah I know. Trying to reach any of these folks who can be reached was a mistake. The 1.1 million viewers who witnessed, including an Irate Trump, are all a waste of time. None in their ranks can be moved and are all a lost cause. Predictable result?

STANDING OVATION for Mayor Pete and the message he delivered. Shame on you Pete. Shame on you.

/ sarcasm off.

Quote:
Fox News Channel’s Sunday headline-grabbing, POTUS-pissing-off town hall with Dem 2020 hopeful Mayor Pete Buttigieg scored 1.1 million viewers, 172,000 in the news demo, at 7 PM ET.

Buttigieg’s sit-down with Chris Wallace clocked bigger numbers in both metrics than combined time-slot stats for MSNBC’s Kasie DC (621,000 77K) and CNN’s Newsroom (447K, 96K).

Buttigieg’s FNC encounter also outstripped his earlier town hall on CNN, which logged 545K total viewers including 169K in the demo, on a Sunday back in March.

Asked how he would handle President Donald Trump’s debate insults and tweets, Buttigieg paused, then told Wallace, “I don’t care.”

And when Wallace argued that Trump’s tweets are extremely effective at reaching the country, Buttigieg countered, “It is an effective way to command the attention of media. We need to make sure we are changing the channel from this show that he’s created. I get it. Look, it is mesmerizing. It is the nature of grotesque things. You can’t look away.”

FNC’s Brit Hume was having none of that. He tweet-slapped Trump, writing, “Say this for Buttigieg. He’s willing to be questioned by Chris Wallace, something you’ve barely done since you’ve been president. Oh, and covering candidates of both parties is part of the job of a news channel.”

But Buttigieg kind of got Trump’s point, when he talked to Wallace about agreeing to a town hall on FNC, while other Dems have declined.

“I get where that’s coming from, especially when you see what goes on with some opinion hosts on this network,” Buttigieg said during the event. “I mean, when you’ve got Tucker Carlson saying that immigrants make America dirty, When you’ve got Laura Ingraham comparing detention centers with children in cages to summer camps — summer camps — there is a reason why anybody has to swallow hard and think twice before participating in this media ecosystem.”

Mayor Pete Address's The Lost Causers

Gotta luv this guy. He's chasing the easy votes as well as the hard ones. He's got the guts to get his message out to all Americans, even when it's unpopular. Kudo's to him for ignoring the DNC decision that some voters aren't worth even trying to reach. Even if he only net's one, it's still one more than the other strategy. I'm sure he apologises for alienating "The base" by even making the attempt.

Video
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject:

That's all well and good. But if he wants to be the nominee of the Democratic Party, he needs to figure out how to raise his support among African Americans to a number greater than zero. And they aren't watching Fox.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Don’t agree with a lot of his policies but man, Buttigieg (and Yang, and Gabbard some too) are the only ones that “get it” IMO.

Mayor Pete is the real deal.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
That's all well and good. But his main objective is to raise his support among African Americans to a number greater than zero.

Or to reach anyone that's reachable, regardless of if he's in a position to win or lose since in the end, that's best for America. And he's never going to reach anyone, African Americans included, if he doen't at least TRY to reach out. He seemed to have some effect on that audience, If even only a few Fox viewers witnessed it and thought to themselves "Maybe I'm not as alone in my quiet outrage of what's been done to my party" and decides to walk into a voting booth and vote their conscience, then Mission accomplished. But with nobody on the Dem side even trying, well those who can actually be reached will just still wallow in the darkness without hope and no feeling of belonging. When heard directly from his mouth, as opposed through the megaphone of Fox right wing propaganda, it makes a difference for those souls who can actually be reached. A good message is still a good message and it resonates, even to SOME of the perceived opposition. But according to some, it's not even worth the effort to try...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Quote of the Day:

"This court is not prepared to roll back the tide of history,"
Judge Amit P. Mehta
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Don’t agree with a lot of his policies but man, Buttigieg (and Yang, and Gabbard some too) are the only ones that “get it” IMO.

Agree on all fronts. Gabbard has no chance because mainstream media has vilified her. It’s a bummer because she has a lot to offer.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Agree on all fronts. Gabbard has no chance because mainstream media has vilified her. It’s a bummer because she has a lot to offer.

Yeah. I don’t know if she is ready, but, I just like her approach. Yang too. These two in particular have their beliefs and arent afraid to disagree with their own. I really respect that in any candidate on either side because it makes you feel they are try interested in unity when they do that.

I respect the way Buttigieg conducts himself. He can say the same thing as a lot of the other Dems, but the way he does it makes those outside of the tribe at the very least listen to what he has to say.

Not sure why Yang doesnt get more play. Dude has a lot of center-right folks I l know prepared to vote for him.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Yeah. I don’t know if she is ready, but, I just like her approach. Yang too. These two in particular have their beliefs and arent afraid to disagree with their own. I really respect that in any candidate on either side because it makes you feel they are try interested in unity when they do that.

I respect the way Buttigieg conducts himself. He can say the same thing as a lot of the other Dems, but the way he does it makes those outside of the tribe at the very least listen to what he has to say.

Not sure why Yang doesnt get more play. Dude has a lot of center-right folks I l know prepared to vote for him.

Yang was fantastic on JoeRogan. UBI is a complex issue that under normal circumstances shouldn’t be considered. He made me a believer, but it doesn’t play well in a sound byte.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Yang was fantastic on JoeRogan. UBI is a complex issue that under normal circumstances shouldn’t be considered. He made me a believer, but it doesn’t play well in a sound byte.

Was never a believer in it until I saw that podcast. Then I immediately started looking into it more. I’m probably 60/40 in favor of it now.

It’s that exact scenario I think Buttigieg/Yang have it right in terms of speaking to all americans.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject:

UBI is a worthwhile issue, it just isn't the sum total of a presidential candidate. But it's one more issue than Gabbard has.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Against the howling of the DNC and warnings from Left wing punditry, Mayor Pete went straight into the belly of the beast and called out Fox News, and their promotion of hate, bigotry, and racism and spoke the truth directly to a crowd of Fox indoctrinees.

He should adopt the Alfred moniker with pride. A what, me worry? play by the lad.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
UBI is a worthwhile issue, it just isn't the sum total of a presidential candidate. But it's one more issue than Gabbard has.

Yangs central rallying issue is UBI and he has a better rationale for it than any other candidate, but he also has one of the most detailed platforms of any of the candidates: https://www.yang2020.com/policies/
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Yangs central rallying issue is UBI and he has a better rationale for it than any other candidate, but he also has one of the most detailed platforms of any of the candidates: https://www.yang2020.com/policies/

Yeah, I get that, but there's a bazillion entrepreneurs who can put a committee together to build a policy platform. Problem is that's all he is. An internet candidate who is polished in person but beyond business success, nothing that tells us he should command the ship of state.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:06 am    Post subject:

Watching this warmed my heart.

Shapiro is a jack ass. It's disturbing that so many conservatives think he's an intellectual.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:39 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Watching this warmed my heart.

Shapiro is a jack ass. It's disturbing that so many conservatives think he's an intellectual.

They're impressed with him beating college freshmen in debates by talking really fast.

He's a stupid person's smart person.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:27 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Against the howling of the DNC and warnings from Left wing punditry, Mayor Pete went straight into the belly of the beast and called out Fox News, and their promotion of hate, bigotry, and racism and spoke the truth directly to a crowd of Fox indoctrinees. Yeah I know. Trying to reach any of these folks who can be reached was a mistake. The 1.1 million viewers who witnessed, including an Irate Trump, are all a waste of time. None in their ranks can be moved and are all a lost cause. Predictable result?

STANDING OVATION for Mayor Pete and the message he delivered. Shame on you Pete. Shame on you.

/ sarcasm off.

Quote:
Fox News Channel’s Sunday headline-grabbing, POTUS-pissing-off town hall with Dem 2020 hopeful Mayor Pete Buttigieg scored 1.1 million viewers, 172,000 in the news demo, at 7 PM ET.

Buttigieg’s sit-down with Chris Wallace clocked bigger numbers in both metrics than combined time-slot stats for MSNBC’s Kasie DC (621,000 77K) and CNN’s Newsroom (447K, 96K).

Buttigieg’s FNC encounter also outstripped his earlier town hall on CNN, which logged 545K total viewers including 169K in the demo, on a Sunday back in March.

Asked how he would handle President Donald Trump’s debate insults and tweets, Buttigieg paused, then told Wallace, “I don’t care.”

And when Wallace argued that Trump’s tweets are extremely effective at reaching the country, Buttigieg countered, “It is an effective way to command the attention of media. We need to make sure we are changing the channel from this show that he’s created. I get it. Look, it is mesmerizing. It is the nature of grotesque things. You can’t look away.”

FNC’s Brit Hume was having none of that. He tweet-slapped Trump, writing, “Say this for Buttigieg. He’s willing to be questioned by Chris Wallace, something you’ve barely done since you’ve been president. Oh, and covering candidates of both parties is part of the job of a news channel.”

But Buttigieg kind of got Trump’s point, when he talked to Wallace about agreeing to a town hall on FNC, while other Dems have declined.

“I get where that’s coming from, especially when you see what goes on with some opinion hosts on this network,” Buttigieg said during the event. “I mean, when you’ve got Tucker Carlson saying that immigrants make America dirty, When you’ve got Laura Ingraham comparing detention centers with children in cages to summer camps — summer camps — there is a reason why anybody has to swallow hard and think twice before participating in this media ecosystem.”

Mayor Pete Address's The Lost Causers

Gotta luv this guy. He's chasing the easy votes as well as the hard ones. He's got the guts to get his message out to all Americans, even when it's unpopular. Kudo's to him for ignoring the DNC decision that some voters aren't worth even trying to reach. Even if he only net's one, it's still one more than the other strategy. I'm sure he apologises for alienating "The base" by even making the attempt.

Video

Going to the lion's den and more than survived, Mayor Pete's looking better. Disappointed at Beto, someone said he won't blindly endorsed the dem nominee
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Yeah, I get that, but there's a bazillion entrepreneurs who can put a committee together to build a policy platform. Problem is that's all he is. An internet candidate who is polished in person but beyond business success, nothing that tells us he should command the ship of state.

Yeah, that would be my main concern with him. Lack of track record. But from a pure policy perspective (while I don’t agree with everything) and the manner in which he conducts himself and approaches his campaign, he is currently the candidate for me anyway. Though if Cuban runs as a republican, I’d be very curious admittedly.

People tend to like the emotional candidates. I tend to prefer pragmatists although I get that pragmatists aren’t always the strongest in terms of rallying the troops so to speak but I feel that is only necessary for campaigning.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Tulsi Gabbard invokes Trump's 'fake news' rhetoric to push back on report of Russia-linked support

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/20/politics/tulsi-gabbard-fake-news-russia/index.html

I present to you, every Republicans favorite Democrat.

Last edited by kikanga on Tue May 21, 2019 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Quote:
Tulsi Gabbard invokes Trump's 'fake news' rhetoric to push back on report of Russia-linked support

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/20/politics/tulsi-gabbard-fake-news-russia/index.html

Hey man, your link is broken. There was a "d" in her last name somehow "gdabbard". I removed it, and it works now, but you may want to fix your post.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Quote:

I've read rumor she's a paid Russian shill herself. But almost all of them are paid shells filled with Rich people's cash to support their version of reality. Their Affluenza having selves
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject:

The good news about Biden being the front runner right now if you don't want him to be the nominee:

Who was the front runner at this stage in 2003?

Joe Lieberman.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

I've read rumor she's a paid Russian shill herself. But almost all of them are paid shells filled with Rich people's cash to support their version of reality. Their Affluenza having selves

I have to admit I don't understand her candidacy...it's not to be president...can't be
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Against the howling of the DNC and warnings from Left wing punditry, Mayor Pete went straight into the belly of the beast and called out Fox News, and their promotion of hate, bigotry, and racism and spoke the truth directly to a crowd of Fox indoctrinees.

He should adopt the Alfred moniker with pride. A what, me worry? play by the lad.

He said it up there "I don't care". That is enough to hurt Trump BIGLY right there

He is so intelligent and we'll read etc. He slams with eloquence that really can stick.
He's like Aussiesuede on Adderall and OG Kush

Called Trump a freak side show with nice words lol
Grotesque Masquerade

Slowly put in few words that are easily followed about how people really need to think twice and more before they accept the media.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1545, 1546, 1547 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 1546 of 3663
Jump to: