Official General 2019 NBA Draft Talk Thread (Lakers Get 46th Pick/Talen Horton-Tucker, Sign Cacok, Norvell, Caroline)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 263, 264, 265 ... 439, 440, 441  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject:

I believe I have kept up with the Shamet convo but I lost what is the purpose of discussing his shooting progression.

I will add that from my perspective Shamet changed his form from college to the NBA. In college it appeared his arms extended out further with a lower shot pocket resulting in a lower trajectory on his shots.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject:

LKA wrote:
I don't want Culver anywhere near this team

Take that 68% freethrow somewhere else. I'm tired of watching brick layers. Simple.

I like Culver, being interviewed he said he patterned his game after Kobe

His shot isn't really that bad and his overall game looks nba ready

pretty good measurements too:
Height: 6'6 3/4 || Weight: 194 lbs. || Wingspan: 6'9 1/2 || Standing Reach: 8'4 1/2 || Body Fat %: 5.0

Last edited by Lucky_Shot on Sun May 19, 2019 3:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jack's Room
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Jack's Room wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Jack's Room wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Jack's Room wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
NCAA numbers don't always translate next level man.

Off screen shooting is different with 6'7 dudes with 6'10" wingspans and great athletes flying out at you.

Didn't see any of that 93%tile off screen shooting during the combine. He couldn't get a clean look.

So, why didn't Svi's shooting translate?

Shamet went 3-7 FG, 2-4 3PT in the first scrimmage and 1-8 FG, 0-4 3PT in the second scrimmage. He also went 2-5 FG, 2-5 3PT in the only summer league game he played. Shamet didn't light the world on fire, but it's a sample size of literally 20 shots. I'm not making any value judgments on a player's ability on what are essentially pickup games.

As for Svi, I'm not entirely sure. To me, he looked a combination of scared and hurried. Not only was he bricking wide open looks, he was bricking freebies at the stripe. Down in the G-League, Svi was playing more loose and hitting shots he normally makes.

Did you watch the scrimmages and the shot types?

I feel like I'm being tested on my knowledge of Shamet when I said on a podcast in April he should be consideration for the late 1st.

No one's testing you. It's just bizarre to dismiss an entire college career and the data behind it because of a couple pickup games. Then to suddenly ascribe all his success to a teammate he was with for a brief period when he had already proven himself adept at that skill prior to knowing said teammate. Kevin Huerter also had a clunker in the NBA scrimmage (3-9 FG, 2-7 3PT), but the proof of what he could do was always on tape. Just like with Shamet.

That's why I provided proof with the monthly splits, that so clearly showed his struggle early on.

Shamet himself credited Redick multiple times. Shrug.

Huerter, otoh, didn't have the same issues in game. You're pointing out box scores, not how Shamet couldn't get his shot off under NBA contests. Huerter got his normal looks. Box scores don't show that.

Those monthly splits are pretty common for incoming rookies adjusting to the NBA. Hield went through the same type of growing pains.

1 month at the beginning really. Hit a wall. Recovered. That's not typical.

Shamet was all over. He basically had 2, 3 month stints of going bottom and gradually getting better. Hield just flat out recovered.

Jamal Murray was up and down in his rookie season, too.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wa_Pf5i6lU

At least Culver I can understand.

Understand what, his 30% 3pt shooting?

At least my guy had 33%

Culver shot 38% of those in spot ups during his frosh year. The difference here is Culver was the lead initiator,not a 3rd option.

yet he regressed to 30% on his sophomore year...that's pretty F up.

Oh so when they have the same role, it doesn't matter, but when Culver becomes a #1 option, it does?

Okay.

Let's see...does Curry and Dame make their being no.1 options an excuse for shooting poorly?

It's a lame excuse.

What's Reddish's excuse for being bad all over the floor in an easier role?

Youth?

Culver shot better at the same age in the same role.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Agreed.

My opinion of Reddish would change drastically with that thing of shooting coach staff.

I wish there was some way of impressing this upon the FO. It would be the best thing we could do apart from signing a 2nd max FA. Perhaps, speak it into existence through your podcast?

Oh well, I'm off for now. Cheers!

Last edited by LAL1947 on Sun May 19, 2019 3:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
LKA wrote:

Take that 68% freethrow somewhere else. I'm tired of watching brick layers. Simple.

I like Culver, During one interview he said he patterned his game after Kobe because he was his favorite player.

He's a hard-working kid that has a clue for playmaking and a hell of a motor defensively. I have my question marks but that's why it's a weak draft. He projects as one of the most likely to succeed in the draft.

LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
LKA wrote:

I like Culver, During one interview he said he patterned his game after Kobe because he was his favorite player.

Obviously didn't emulate Kobe well enough as Kobe was never a lousy freethrow shooter. Don't like him.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject:

LKA wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
LKA wrote:

Obviously didn't emulate Kobe well enough as Kobe was never a lousy freethrow shooter. Don't like him.

Took his team to the NCAA Finals without another NBA talent beside him when Virginia had at least 3?

Jack's Room
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
LKA wrote:

Height: 6'6 3/4 || Weight: 194 lbs. || Wingspan: 6'9 1/2 || Standing Reach: 8'4 1/2 || Body Fat %: 5.0

If you like Culver because of the Kobe comment, you're going to love Miye Oni. Grew up in the valley, idolized Kobe, and wore #24 at Yale.

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Watching the combine scrimmage Isaiah Roby is a nice player.

Long, good athleticism, average ball skills, defensive potential and good form on his jumper. Kind of a wing version of Larry Nance with potential to be a Robert Covington type player.

Don't see him mocked highly or at all. Would be a nice 2nd round consideration.

He was a 4-5 in college too, and at the combine. wing skills though you mean, yup. He had a really good combine, measured well too. fringe 1st for me now
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LKA wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
LKA wrote:

Took his team to the NCAA Finals without another NBA talent beside him when Virginia had at least 3?

So what are we drafting for here?

We drafting for potential? Or more poor shooters who don't fit with LeBron?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
LKA wrote:

I like Culver, being interviewed he said he patterned his game after Kobe

measured almost identical to Caris Levert at the combine, weight included. exact measurements of Patrick MCcaw
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LKA wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
LKA wrote:

Sounds like Josh Hart
allNet
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
Is Garland Kyrie-level?

BPA based on 5 games?

BPA from which standpoint?

Hunter is arguably BPA.

BPA skill wise, he's a clear step or two, or three above anyone in this draft to me. In the short amount of clips available he's displayed:

1) A very strong left hand, both passing and dribble-drives. Good enough to attack to the left comfortably and finish with a lefthanded layup or pullup jumper. I also saw a couple bullet passes from him that were left-handed.

2) His handles/crossover-moves into his shooting form are clean and quick. He's clearly worked on it with a ton of hours put in. Great handles by themselves aren't terribily impressive if a player can't generate offense from it. Won't be a problem with him.

3) Watching him play, every step or dribble he takes, he has a counter ready depending on what the defense or defender does. He thinks fast and can play fast while being under control. His constant hesitation moves and handles allow him to reach any point on the floor. Fits under my definition of high basketball IQ.

4) Advanced guard footwork for his age. His steps are measured. Has great balance on step back and pullup jumpers. Saw a nice kobe-esque pivot move into a floater from a pass fake.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Let me just say this.

If there were 1.5 seconds left on the clock and lakers need a three to win,
I want Cam Reddish to be taking that last shot everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:

Silver Screen & Roll wrote:
May 19, 2019ReplyRetweetFavorite

Don’t have the faith in our FO to be this smart. Last year supposedly we promised Robinson who was the right choice then ended up drafting a bum

Last edited by JUST-MING on Sun May 19, 2019 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Jack's Room wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
LKA wrote:

If you like Culver because of the Kobe comment, you're going to love Miye Oni. Grew up in the valley, idolized Kobe, and wore #24 at Yale.

I do like him lol, but still gotta go Garland/Culver
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

Jack's Room wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
LKA wrote:

So why isn't he rated higher in the draft. Looks like a great athlete in the mold of a Kobe clone shooting mechanics size with great hops. I know it's a highlight video so I don't see the weaknesses but he looks like a nice 2nd round pick up. Back up Hart
Jack's Room
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

LakersForever123 wrote:
Let me just say this.

I want Cam Reddish to be taking that last shot everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

De'Andre Hunter is pretty good in the clutch, too.

Jack's Room
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject:

lakerfanaticPT wrote:
Jack's Room wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
LKA wrote:

So why isn't he rated higher in the draft. Looks like a great athlete in the mold of a Kobe clone shooting mechanics size with great hops. I know it's a highlight video so I don't see the weaknesses but he looks like a nice 2nd round pick up. Back up Hart

Definitely because he went to Yale. But he had a nice showing in the combine scrimmage the other day. Possible he could sneak up to late first/early second if he shows out in team workouts.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:

https://mobile.twitter.com/LakersSBN/status/1130239266087419904

Don’t have the faith in our FO to be this smart. Last year supposedly we promised Robinson who was the right choice then ended up drafting a bum

I like Garland, but it seems kinda dumb for a team to commit to a player without bringing all the possible candidates in for workouts and interviews. I wonder if this report is just BS from the reporter for clicks or if it's impatience from our FO.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject:

lakerfanaticPT wrote:
Jack's Room wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
LKA wrote:

He's playing against bums in high school sized gyms
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
Let me just say this.

I know I’m not the 1 who has noticed that players coming out of Duke tend to be clutch.

Kyrie Irving is 1 example, Ingram also has some clutch genes in him and also Grant Hill.
Jack's Room
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject:

The one thing no one's really mentioning about Garland: he's the son of a former NBA player, Winston Garland. I have a soft spot for NBA legacy players. Perhaps it's a combination of genetics, coaching, and an ability to adjust to the NBA lifestyle.

Some current sons of former players: Devin Booker, Klay Thompson, Steph/Seth Curry, Al Horford, Jae Crowder, Ed Davis, Jaren Jackson Jr., Kevin Love, Wesley Matthews, Larry Nance Jr., Damontis Sabonis, etc.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Jack's Room wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
LKA wrote:

This, and you can get Miye Oni by acquiring a 2nd round pick.

And Mike likes Miye Oni.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 263, 264, 265 ... 439, 440, 441  Next
Page 264 of 441
Jump to: