THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1535, 1536, 1537 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:41 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I wouldn't describe Biden as progressive. And I think progressive policy helped us in 2018.
But if the party wants to move further left. Dem voters will have to prove it in the primary. I'm happy no matter who wins. Anybody but Trump is the motto.

2018 was about preserving Obamacare. The Orange County Republican women didn’t vote for free college or higher taxes for their husbands.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:48 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
I wouldn't describe Biden as progressive. And I think progressive policy helped us in 2018.
But if the party wants to move further left. Dem voters will have to prove it in the primary. I'm happy no matter who wins. Anybody but Trump is the motto.

2018 was about preserving Obamacare. The Orange County Republican women didn’t vote for free college or higher taxes for their husbands.

It was also the year of the woman though. You think OC Republican women would rather vote for Trump than a super progressive Democrat? I'm torn on that.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject:

Is it wrong of African American voters to be Homophobic?

Or is it just the media making an issue of it?

I would prefer a human that hasn't lived their life as a politician
Unless their body of work shows their humility and integrity on the issues

I don't want the same old same old rehashed vintage antique establishment
Politicians. Kick them all out.

Get cutthroat Young guns who aren't going to take any (bleep) from these traitors

Talib is kicking their asses. Calling out their lies.
Ilhan Omar has been quiet. They probably overloaded her with death threats
AOC is there to stay is my bet
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:

It was also the year of the woman though. You think OC Republican women would rather vote for Trump than a super progressive Democrat? I'm torn on that.

Yes.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Why would they care about preserving Obamacare? If their husbands are that wealthy, having insurance isn't an issue to them. Paying for poorer people in Santa Ana to have access to health care wouldn't be high on their list.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Why would they care about preserving Obamacare? If their husbands are that wealthy, having insurance isn't an issue to them. Paying for poorer people in Santa Ana to have access to health care wouldn't be high on their list.

Affluent people care about money. How do you think they got it? And the cost of health care was one of the big drivers of affluent suburban women voters. Obamacare specifically. They know if it goes their healthcare skyrockets.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Affluent people care about money. How do you think they got it? And the cost of health care was one of the big drivers of affluent suburban women voters. Obamacare specifically. They know if it goes their healthcare skyrockets.

I'm not sure what you are getting at. Obamacare mostly helped the middle class to lower middle class to some near the bottom of income.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I'm not sure how comparable Orange Country Republicans are to purple state Republicans.

Last edited by kikanga on Wed May 15, 2019 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I'm not sure what you are getting at. Obamacare mostly helped the middle class to lower middle class to some near the bottom of income.

Correct. Upper and upper middle class people don't qualify for ACA subsidies and premiums went up for them, if they were in the individual marketplace (unlikely).
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject:

Biden adds 5 points to lead over 2020 Dem field: poll

Quote:
The Reuters/Ipsos survey released Wednesday found that Biden's support among Democratic voters has increased 5 percentage points, up to 29 percent.

He now leads his only close challenger, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), by 16 points in the poll. Sanders, at 13 percent, is the only other candidate to register more than 6 percent support among Democratic voters.

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject:

If the ACA is rolled back, there are 120 million Americans with pre-existing conditions that will be subject to the whim of insurance companies. Insurance companies can refuse to cover at all, or can charge through the roof.

For example, you have diabetes. They decide you will be covered, but your premiums will go from $1000 a month to $10,000 a month.

You have cancer. Your cancer treatment costs $500,000 to $1M a year. Your insurer decides not to insure you at all.

Your insurer decides maternal care isn't covered anymore. Your pregnancy, delivery of your new baby and hospital stay costs $300,000. You have to pay it all. No more co-pays for you.

Your child is born with a debilitating illness. They blow through their lifetime cap at 6 months of age and can never buy regular insurance again.

This affects everyone, even the well off, not just people buying insurance through the exchanges.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I'm not sure how comparable Orange Country Republicans are to purple state Republicans.

I'm going to guess that there is a 90% or more overlap. I know four personally: Two moved to Tennessee, as they belong there, the other two always vote Republican.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I'm going to guess that there is a 90% or more overlap. I know four personally, two moved to Tennessee, the other two always vote Republican.

I wouldn't describe Tennessee as a purple state. They are solidly red looking at the last 3 electoral college results.
I was raised in Orange County and went to undergrad in Pennsylvania. Rural Pennsylvanians live a very different life than wealthy Orange County residents.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
ribeye wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I'm going to guess that there is a 90% or more overlap. I know four personally, two moved to Tennessee, the other two always vote Republican.

I wouldn't describe Tennessee as a purple state. They are solidly red looking at the last 3 electoral college results.
I was raised in Orange County and went to undergrad in Pennsylvania. Rural Pennsylvanians live a very different life than wealthy Orange County residents.

My point is that Republicans, almost universally, are Republicans.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

My point is that Republicans, almost universally, are Republicans.

My point is that Republicans, sometimes always, are Republicans.

My point is that Republicans, perhaps assuredly, are Republicans.

My point is that Republicans, maybe definitely, are Republicans.

My point is that Republicans, kinda undoubtedly, are Republicans.

My point is that Republicans, sorta unequivocally, are Republicans.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject:

Quinnipiac poll in Pennsylvania:

Biden 53%, Trump 42%
Sanders 50%, Trump 43%
Warren 47%, Trump 44%
Buttigieg 45%, Trump 44%
Harris 45%, Trump 45%
Trump 46%, O'Rourke 44%
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

Biden 53%, Trump 42%
Sanders 50%, Trump 43%
Warren 47%, Trump 44%
Buttigieg 45%, Trump 44%
Harris 45%, Trump 45%
Trump 46%, O'Rourke 44%

Biden is certainly not not first choice, but that 11 point spread makes him far more palatable.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject:

Only in Amerkkka...

Florida.. the State that is Now officially Russias (bleep)

Florida 'disenfranchised' voters by rejecting ballots for signature mismatches, court rules

Quote:
“Florida’s signature-match scheme subjects vote-by-mail and provisional electors to the risk of disenfranchisement in two ways,” Rosenbaum wrote in the majority opinion.

The way the state implements the law and “the very nature of matching signatures” caused the problems, the majority found.The state lacks uniform standards and does not require training or qualifications for those who do the job, Rosenbaum wrote.

Florida allows each county to apply its own standards and procedures for executing the signature-match requirement, virtually guaranteeing a crazy quilt of enforcement of the requirement from county to county,” she wrote.

Look at this one

Quote:

The deadline for county supervisors of elections to receive mail-in ballots was 7 p.m. on Election Day. While the “opportunity to cure signature mismatch should have been part and parcel of any constitutional use of the signature-match protection after the district court’s 2016 opinion,” the judge wrote, the “cure” had to submitted by 5 p.m. on the day before the election.

>>>That meant “the deadline to cure a rejected ballot came before the deadline for the supervisor to receive the ballot in the first place,” Rosenbaum wrote.<<<

Even more troubling, the federal judge said, county canvassing boards were not required to start counting mail-in ballots until a day after the election, which fell two days after the cure deadline.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject:

Congress seeks expert opinions as Trump makes it 'increasingly difficult' to avoid impeachment

This article begins to answer a question that has been plaguing me.

Quote:
And as many of those same witnesses pointed out, the constitution assigns to Congress one clear way of dealing with presidential misconduct … the one that Nadler believes they are being driven to take. Interestingly, one of the experts testifying indicated that “it’s enough” to be considering impeachment, or evaluating the possibility of impeachment, for courts to strike down most privilege claims as they would during an impeachment hearing.

It is not what the one expert is saying but the "for courts to strike down most privilege claims as they would during an impeachment hearing" part.

If congress is stalled on their subpoenas, they should begin an impeachment inquiry. If they are stalled there, they should begin impeachment proceedings.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Biden 53%, Trump 42%
Sanders 50%, Trump 43%
Warren 47%, Trump 44%
Buttigieg 45%, Trump 44%
Harris 45%, Trump 45%
Trump 46%, O'Rourke 44%

Biden is certainly not not first choice, but that 11 point spread makes him far more palatable.

I'm not surprised by his big lead there, as he was born in Pennsylvania. But if he has similar numbers in Michigan and Wisconsin and is similarly ahead of other Dem rivals there relative to Trump, that would be a great argument for a Biden candidacy.

The objective is to make up those 70,000 votes. And whoever has the best chance, I'm on board. I agree that Biden is not my first choice.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Correct. Upper and upper middle class people don't qualify for ACA subsidies and premiums went up for them, if they were in the individual marketplace (unlikely).

It's not about subsidies. It's about pre-existing conditions and mandated ob/gyn care, and a whole host of other things that directly relate to care and cost. Affluent suburban women really like obamacare. Most people do when it comes down to it. It's why the Dems ran heavily on that in red to purple areas.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Trump plan to dip into Pell Grant reserves for NASA funding draws backlash

Proof Trump isn't an American.^^^

Just looking to steal more money
Quote:
The plan aims to redirect $1.9 billion from a Pell Grant surplus*
to jumpstart other projects, primarily a NASA initiative to put astronauts
back on the moon. In announcing the plan Monday, administration officials
said it would keep the Pell program, the largest source of federal aid for
low-income students, on sound fiscal footing and would not harm students.

Is Aluminum used in Space Exploration.. russian aluminum?

Lets take money away from our children and (bleep) it out into space.. very nice

Let Bezos and Musk do the work for us..

*Why is there a SURPLUS in funds used to help needy students?>
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Why is Biden leading? I know we all would back up whoever comes out of the field but why Biden, how is it not the new faces
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Why is Biden leading? I know we all would back up whoever comes out of the field but why Biden, how is it not the new faces

For many, the stakes are simply too high to be taking chances on unknowns and new faces are unknowns.

Imagine a huge wildfire sprung up on the West coast and was moving eastward swallowing up everything in it's path, and the only thing that will stop it is a large body of water like the Mississippi River. So you've got to make the drive to try to get to the other side of the Mississippi River so as not to be engulfed by the raging inferno. You take a look at a map of the US and see all that wide open space in the middle.

Do you hop in the brand spanking new 2019 Tesla Model S and just hope there will be enough places to charge along the way? Or do you jump in the 1999 Toyota Camry that while not nearly as new and comfortable, you can confidently expect to make it to the other side of the Mississippi river and stay ahead of that wild fire?

Trump is a raging fire that many aren't willing to take the risk that a Tesla can make the cross country roadtrip in time, so they are opting for that old reliable gas propelled Camry because a comfy new Tesla does em no good if it can't make it across the finish line ahead of the fire...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
governator wrote:

For many, the stakes are simply too high to be taking chances on unknowns and new faces are unknowns.

Hillary was a familiar face and lost.
Maybe Dems are thinking she lost because of her gender and the familiarity wasn't a problem. Male candidates are dominating early polling. The highest being the most familiar (Biden).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1535, 1536, 1537 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 1536 of 3663
Jump to: