If you are Kawhi, why would you choose the Lakers over the Clippers?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: If you are Kawhi, why would you choose the Lakers over the Clippers?

I just don't see why we would be the better destination. Change my mind.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject:

On paper, yes, it's the Clips bc of organization, better coach, and owner.

But, there could be things in place where KL wants to put his mark on the NBA's marquee franchise, which has been in the dumps the past 6 years. Oh, and saving LBJ's butt would probably be a bit gratifying too.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject:

Cause him plus LBJ (even this old version) plus multiple trade assets in the Marquee team is not a bad choice at all
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject:

he's staying in Toronto...as much as he loves the weather in LA he doesn't want to be bothered by the media circus around the teams
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
he's staying in Toronto...as much as he loves the weather in LA he doesn't want to be bothered by the media circus around the teams

In reality its probably only between the Clippers and Raptors.....and Raptors will win out because of how far they can make it in the playoffs with their current roster. Raptors have had a full season to convince him to stay and I think they are doing a great job of selling the team to him.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:34 pm    Post subject:

if he was me then he was a laker fan so...
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:54 am    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:

Kawhi is an enigma. It's hard to get a read on him and what he really values above all as a player and as a man, which makes it hard to predict what he'll do this offseason.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:

Kawhi is an enigma. It's hard to get a read on him and what he really values above all as a player and as a man, which makes it hard to predict what he'll do this offseason.

I'm really interested to see what Kawhi does. After PG13 stayed in okc, this is going to be big imo. If teams realize they aren't going to get burned by players threats to bolt after one year, it will likely be the end of players trying to get traded to a specific team by threatening to sign there in a year in free agency.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject:

In Uncle Dennis we trust
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject:

The reason you choose the Lakers lies in looking at jersey sales, TV ratings, and all the other avenues that a guy wanting to cash in would desire.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
The reason you choose the Lakers lies in looking at jersey sales, TV ratings, and all the other avenues that a guy wanting to cash in would desire.

CP3/Blake cashed in with the Clips too, but if you are the star of the Lakers on a winning team, even more than what you can get on the Clips.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Why choose the Yankees over the Mets? Why choose Coke over Pepsi? Why choose Nike over Adidas? There are marquee franchises/brands with unrivaled legacies, and there are the "others."

In terms of staying in Toronto, it is cold af there for 6 months of the year, and it recently snowed. I don't think Drake is enough to keep Kawhi in Toronto.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers raise banners.

The Clippers cover them up to give their fans a safe space.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Depends if he sees playing with LeBron as a positive or negative. The Clippers don't really have that attractive a roster regardless of their brief playoff appearance, and I don't know their salary situation but I'm guessing they won't keep some of the guys who carried them. The Lakers still have the team with more upside at this point in my opinion.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
On paper, yes, it's the Clips bc of organization, better coach, and owner.

But, there could be things in place where KL wants to put his mark on the NBA's marquee franchise, which has been in the dumps the past 6 years. Oh, and saving LBJ's butt would probably be a bit gratifying too.

Not necessarily disagreeing, but why have to Clips been crowned the new model FO all of a sudden? They have a guy with a lot of money (we've seen plenty of owners in sports with deep pockets crash and burn) and have yet to anything that wow'd me. All they did was ship off their long time star, and clear cap space to sign a max FA (sounds familiar). They have the GOAT GM in an advisor role who provides his input, but he's not running things. Obviously Doc is a great coach and we don't have one yet. I'm just not seeing why they are all of a sudden some flagship destination because of their FO.

If I'm Kawhi, I'm going to the Lakers because teaming up with Lebron makes you an instant contender, and you are coming into a fresh start with new leadership, a new coach, and great young guys you can build with after Lebron's contract. Not saying the Clips are a bad spot, but we can offer an immediate success as well as long term benefits.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:

as a socal athlete he knows first hand the million year futility tradition of the clippers ...
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject:

do you want to be "the man" in LA with countless celebs at your games, or do you want to be on a team nobody cares about where you can buy tickets on Groupon?
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject:

I shared this is another thread but a business contact of mine that knows Uncle Dennis says a reason why the Lakers are the favorite is the team’s history and status as one of the greatest franchises. He’s looking at the Lakers current situation as a huge opportunity for Kawhi to become a hero to the fans and push his start status to another level

Teaming up with LeBron and a lot of young talent and flexibility is a great situation.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Worse coach, worse management, worse ownership....16 championships in the past.

The only reason for a player to choose to play for the Lakers right now is fan loyalty. They grew up a lakers fan, remain a lakers fan, and have a dream to play for the Lakers. Nothing outside of their individual fandom should motivate them to play for the Lakers.

There are a couple different metrics you could look at, and whichever one you use, the Lakers are pretty close to the bottom. Worst record in the NBA over the last 6 seasons. FO instability. etc. The days of "everybody wants to play for the lakers" are far gone. These coming summers I would be surprised if anyone desirable has the Lakers on the top of their list.

People pointed to Seth Curry as an example of a player the Lakers could've signed. Well Seth signed with the Blazers the first day of free agency for the league minimum. It's not likely the lakers couldve even gotten a guy like Seth over the blazers.

It only takes one big player to take the Lakers offer and completely change things, but without that, its going to be another long few seasons. Time to pray.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject:

I get why he would choose the Clippers. I really do. But I still think you can make the argument that we have more upside, in terms of the on-court product (forget the off-the-court opportunities). There's no doubt that if you add Kawhi to the Clippers, they become formidable. Especially if you add a second true max player. But they do not have an all-time great player (who is still great) like we do on our team. If he comes to the Lakers, we're an instant contender, especially if we get the rest of the offseason roster construction right. Now, here's where the naysayers could say that the Clippers are more likely to get that part right than we are. And it's hard to argue that.

Woj and most other reporters were saying he wanted the Lakers basically as soon as the saga was unfolding last summer, but Michael C. Wright put his neck out there and was the first to say Clippers. As the season unfolded, more and more people seemed to think Clippers, too. We'll see what happens, but I'm hoping that our brand and LeBron will have enough pull. It's going to hurt like hell if Kawhi chooses the Clippers over us. But it will be understandable, as crappy as it is for me to write that.

Oh, and I don't think he stays in Toronto. He notoriously hates the cold, he wants to be close to home, and he has already demonstrated that he will eschew the largest possible contract by forcing his way out of San Antonio, where not only would have have eventually received a 5-year offer, but a 5-year supermax offer.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:01 am    Post subject:

If Kawhi chooses the Clippers over us wthout another star joining him there, you'd really have to question his judgement (unless, of course, he doesn't care about winning more championships).

If the Clippers add only Kawhi and no other stars/superstars, they'll be like the Raptors right now: a real good regular season team that will go out meekly in the playoffs because the other guys besides Kawhi can't generate enough offense.

On the other hand, if Kawhi comes to the Lakers and we add shooters while addressing the C spot, we'd probably be instant title contenders.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:11 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
If Kawhi chooses the Clippers over us wthout another star joining him there, you'd really have to question his judgement (unless, of course, he doesn't care about winning more championships).

If the Clippers add only Kawhi and no other stars/superstars, they'll be like the Raptors right now: a real good regular season team that will go out meekly in the playoffs because the other guys besides Kawhi can't generate enough offense.

On the other hand, if Kawhi comes to the Lakers and we add shooters while addressing the C spot, we'd probably be instant title contenders.

I'm with you, but it's possible that he could think that the Clippers are more likely to build the team better than we would, and that, even if they don't sign a second max guy, that they would be more likely to acquire one somehow without gutting their team. If he truly hasn't made up his mind, I think we have a real shot once we get a meeting. But the Clippers can certainly make a persuasive argument.

My hope is that Woj was right, that he was focused on the Lakers from the beginning, and that nothing will change.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
slavavov wrote:

I'm with you, but it's possible that he could think that the Clippers are more likely to build the team better than we would, and that, even if they don't sign a second max guy, that they would be more likely to acquire one somehow without gutting their team. If he truly hasn't made up his mind, I think we have a real shot once we get a meeting. But the Clippers can certainly make a persuasive argument.

My hope is that Woj was right, that he was focused on the Lakers from the beginning, and that nothing will change.

If the Lakers hire a new executive or just make it clear who is really in charge in the front office, and that whoever is in charge is qualified to build a championship team, it could get rid of the Clippers' advantage in that category, at least objectively.

But like I said, Kawhi is an enigma and who knows what he's thinking or what he really wants.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Should have gone with, " The Clippers raised eyebrows. The Lakers raise banners".
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:

Should have gone with, " The Clippers raised eyebrows. The Lakers raise banners".

that's good
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: