Attorney Michael Avenatti arrested and charged with extortion
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
jodeke wrote:
After the Smollett decision I'm going into a wait and see mode. Avenatti pleaded not guilty.

Is it your position that Smollet didn't fabricate a false attack and was unjustly arrested? I take it you also believe that Donald Trump has been exonerated, then?

Where did you get that? Nowhere did I say Smollett was unjustly arrested. I said
Quote:
After the Smollett decision I'm going into a wait and see mode
meaning if they dropped charges on Jussie it wouldn't surprise me if they dropped them on Michael.

Mueller said in his report he didn't exonerate Trump.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Dude has been tweeting all day about Nike paying Bol Bol and Ayton......we knew this.....both of those guys names came up in the Adidas trials in regards to seeking payment.....so I do not take a lot of logic to know if they were seeking money to sign, then they suddenly choose a Nike school, someone related to Nike made a payment.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Believe me I understand the In that regard I'm waiting for the full report. How the AG could make a 4 page determination in 2 days is suspect. That would mean he read 2 years of investigating in 2 days. I don't think so.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Deleted by jodeke wrong thread

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject:

There is a litigation privilege. Many cases settle before there is any litigation. A lawyer can threaten to sue and make things public if there isn't a settlement. A lawyer cannot hold a potential criminal charge, however, over someone's head - that's extortion, which is different.

If all Avennati did was threaten to sue as part of pre-litigation settlement discussions, then there is no crime here. However, the more it looks like a litigation wasn't his end game, but self-dealing or extortion was, then the more that line is blurred and the more he may be susceptible to criminal liability. And by the way, saying something like "it may be more worth it to me to just make this public than take what you are offering," isn't extortion in itself. Most settlement agreements include confidentiality and that confidentiality (i.e. ensuring something isn't made public) is a typical term negotiated as part of a settlement and a term which comes with compensation. Attorneys are typically permitted to legally use such as leverage. That's why I'm not really confident these charges in NY will stick based on the limited info I've heard so far.

I really have no clue what the CA case is about, but it sounds like that is a bigger deal. From what I understand, he wasn't making anywhere near the money that his lifestyle demanded so stole from clients and took out fraudulent loans based on false information. All of that is embezzlement and fraud, and likely more than enough to get him disbarred.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
There is a litigation privilege. Many cases settle before there is any litigation. A lawyer can threaten to sue and make things public if there isn't a settlement. A lawyer cannot hold a potential criminal charge, however, over someone's head - that's extortion, which is different.

If all Avennati did was threaten to sue as part of pre-litigation settlement discussions, then there is no crime here. However, the more it looks like a litigation wasn't his end game, but self-dealing or extortion was, then the more that line is blurred and the more he may be susceptible to criminal liability. And by the way, saying something like "it may be more worth it to me to just make this public than take what you are offering," isn't extortion in itself. Most settlement agreements include confidentiality and that confidentiality (i.e. ensuring something isn't made public) is a typical term negotiated as part of a settlement and a term which comes with compensation. Attorneys are typically permitted to legally use such as leverage. That's why I'm not really confident these charges in NY will stick based on the limited info I've heard so far.

I really have no clue what the CA case is about, but it sounds like that is a bigger deal. From what I understand, he wasn't making anywhere near the money that his lifestyle demanded so stole from clients and took out fraudulent loans based on false information. All of that is embezzlement and fraud, and likely more than enough to get him disbarred.

In regards to NY....my understanding was what you are basically saying....if he simply makes it clear that his end game is suing....that is not extortion, but reports are that he did not threaten a lawsuit as his end game.....but continued to threaten the "victim" with public relations problems and specifically to diminish their market cap.

I agree, the CA case appears to be pretty black and white. His client was awarded a large settlement to be paid out in January. Instead of informing his client, he created a false document stating the settlement would not be issued until mid March....then used the settlement in January for personal expenses. On top of that, he allegedly has failed to pay or file personal income taxes for "multiple years", and provided banks/financial institutions false tax returns that were never filed to receive "millions" in loans.

I do not think Geragos will go down for the NY stuff with Nike, because I have not seen any reporting that he was ever recorded. To me the whole thing seems like amateur hour of a desperate man, and something Geragos would be far to smart to get caught up in. Avennati calls and demands a meeting with Nike attorneys.....makes his threats, and leaves. Nike immediately contacts the FBI and they set up a sting with Avennati blabbing these threats over the phone with the FBI listening. I can't imagine Geragos being that careless.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Believe me I understand the

I was just giving you are hard time because we can't have a thread without the mention.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Believe me I understand the

I was just giving you are hard time because we can't have a thread without the mention.

LINK You talking bout OJ?

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Avenatti claims to have evidence against Duke.....Coach K claims he has nothing. I would like to see what he claims to have.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Duke 'looking into' claim Nike paid Zion's mother

Quote:
Athletic director Kevin White said Duke is "looking into" attorney Michael Avenatti's allegation that Nike paid Zion Williamson's mother for consulting services while her son was a top high school recruit.

LINK
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Avenatti Allred is in deep doo doo.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

what did Allred do?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

what did Allred do?

Nothing to do with this. Just comparing the 2.

Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

When Hassan Whiteside of the Miami Heat wired $2.75 million to Michael Avenatti in January 2017, the pro basketball player intended most of the money to go to his former girlfriend, Alexis Gardner.

Avenatti was Gardner’s attorney. An actress and barista, she’d hired him just a few weeks before to negotiate a settlement of a potential lawsuit against Whiteside. It’s unclear what she would have alleged. Avenatti quickly struck a $3-million deal, and the $2.75 million was Whiteside’s first payment.

Avenatti, prosecutors say, was entitled to take just over $1 million in legal fees, leaving the rest for Gardner.

Instead, they allege, Avenatti hid Whiteside’s payment from her and immediately took $2.5 million to buy a share of a private jet.

The full story of Avenatti’s alleged embezzlement from Gardner came to light in bank records and in the April 10 indictment of the Los Angeles lawyer by a federal grand jury in Santa Ana.

The 36-count indictment, which spans an array of alleged financial crimes, identifies Whiteside as “Individual 1” and Gardner as “Client 2.”

Gardner is one of five clients whose money prosecutors say Avenatti stole. One of the others, Geoffrey Ernest Johnson, was a mentally ill paraplegic man on disability who won a $4-million settlement but received just $124,000 from Avenatti.

Sticky Fingers
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject:

how did this guy think he was going to keep getting away with stealing millions from people?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
how did this guy think he was going to keep getting away with stealing millions from people?

Wonder if he was ripping Stormy Daniels off?

Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

The gamblers mindset often breeds Hubris. When they have success once, they think they'll "Win" again. As it is, it looks like he's succesfully pocketed millions to date, and if it weren't for his thirst for the limelight, he just might have continued to keep getting away with it. A normal person with a non gamblers mentality wouldn't have come within a thousand miles of inserting themselves into the limelight in the manner he did. In the final analysis, non criminals aren't going to be able to make sense of the criminal mind. It's like the guy that doesn't get caught doing a drive by. He's emboldened enough to do it again because his criminality is too much a part of who he is and he becomes more emboldened each time he get's away with his crime. Same with the burglar who breaks into a house. He basically keeps doing it UNTIL he get's caught, and even then, it might not stop him again the future, even after he's served a lengthy prison term. That's what criminals do, commit crimes - because at their core, that's who they are.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: