NCAA comes down hard on Cal Poly

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: NCAA comes down hard on Cal Poly

Quote:
The NCAA has placed Cal Poly on two years of probation and will force the school to vacate regular season and conference tournament records in "most of its sports programs" after an investigation concluded the school did not properly monitor its book scholarship program.

In a 21-page report released Thursday, the NCAA said Cal Poly provided cash stipends of $800, intended for books and academic supplies, to 265 student-athletes between 2012 and 2015 that did not equal the cost of the items. The investigation determined these cash stipends resulted in 30 student-athletes exceeding their financial aid limits by an average of $174.57.

LINK

I often finding myself defending the NCAA....yes it is flawed, but not the evil entity that it is often portrayed. Much hate is directed at the NCAA, that should be directed at the member schools....and the NCAA never gets credit for the good that it does for most college athletes.

That said, stories like this demonstrate that the NCAA is a joke when it comes to compliance and enforcement. Cal Poly got hammered because they made basically an admin/clerical error in awarding too much scholarship for students across all sports for books! They literally gave the students less than $200 too much to spend on academic books. They self reported to the NCAA their error, and the NCAA responds by vacating wins and puts the school on two years probation!

At the same time, we have Will Wade, the LSU basketball coach, on a wire tap talking about an offer to a player that is currently on his team that exceeded the NBA minimum...and on the same call he claims to have did this previously! The NCAA has not touched him. Bruce Pearl, the basketball coach at Auburn, has had his name brought up in the FBI trials more than the defendants (which included his assistant coach), yet the NCAA has not touched him and he just signed a 5 year extension worth millions. Bill Self, Sean Miller.....all have court testimony implicating them in cheating.....the NCAA has done nothing. I guess they were too busy making sure kids at Cal Poly did not get too many academic books!

The famous quote by Jerry Tarkanian makes more sense by the day...

Quote:
The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky they're going to give Cleveland State another year of probation................................Jerry Tarkanian
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
"We don't believe the university broke this longstanding rule intentionally but we do recognize there is no ambiguity in the wording of the rule and there is no room for misinterpretation," said Big East deputy commissioner Vince Nicastro, who served as the chief hearing officer for the panel that issued the punishment. "Cal Poly simply failed to follow the rule."

Jeez.

Quote:
As part of its justification for the imposed penalties, the NCAA report cited Cal Poly infractions cases from 1987 and 1995.

Seriously?
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject:

I stopped watching NCAA basketball after reading this book...

Shark Attack: Jerry Tarkanian and His Battle With the Ncaa and Unlv

https://www.amazon.com/Shark-Attack-Jerry-Tarkanian-Battle/dp/0060179805

they run a trump like business...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Quote:
"We don't believe the university broke this longstanding rule intentionally but we do recognize there is no ambiguity in the wording of the rule and there is no room for misinterpretation," said Big East deputy commissioner Vince Nicastro, who served as the chief hearing officer for the panel that issued the punishment. "Cal Poly simply failed to follow the rule."

Jeez.

Quote:
As part of its justification for the imposed penalties, the NCAA report cited Cal Poly infractions cases from 1987 and 1995.

Seriously?

It is getting to the point where the only clear message I can take from the NCAA is to never ever self report infractions.....and if ever accused of anything, simply deny, deny, deny.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Quote:

Jeez.

Quote:

Seriously?

It is getting to the point where the only clear message I can take from the NCAA is to never ever self report infractions.....and if ever accused of anything, simply deny, deny, deny.

So essentially just Trump all investigations and lie about it prodigiously...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject:

6k total overpay? Can't even get an interview to bribe your way into SC for that kind of money.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
6k total overpay? Can't even get an interview to bribe your way into SC for that kind of money.

and it was in academic book vouchers!
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Maybe we just need to get rid of college sports.

What does it have to do with an institution of learning anyway.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

For every high profile college athlete in a major sport, there are true student athletes in minor sports who benefit from scholarships that get them a path to a quality university they might not otherwise have. There are several girls my daughter played water polo with who wouldn't be going to the colleges they are if it weren't for sports scholarships. And they didn't get them solely on their athletic ability.

College sports aren't the problem. How the high profile sports are handled is along with a few misguided programs.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

For every high profile college athlete in a major sport, there are true student athletes in minor sports who benefit from scholarships that get them a path to a quality university they might not otherwise have. There are several girls my daughter played water polo with who wouldn't be going to the colleges they are if it weren't for sports scholarships. And they didn't get them solely on their athletic ability.

College sports aren't the problem. How Football and Basketball are handled is.

I agree.....and even a tiny amount of guys that play Football and Basketball will play after college...especially outside of your major conferences.....there are 100's if not 1000's of D2, D3, JUCO, NAIA schools out there that know that it is often the things at a school outside the class that can help build the college experience, school pride, etc. I think sports, art, clubs and all that is important for a college campus.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

College sports aren't the problem. How the high profile sports are handled is along with a few misguided programs.

Fair point. But the scholarship money has to come from somewhere so now we’ve effectively attached a P/L to it.

As more of a free market person, I suppose I’m torn. On the one hand, NCAA should be able to operate their business the way they see fit. On the other, universities should be utilized as an institution for learning, not purely as a stepping stone to a pro sports career.

You are right though the problems arent happening with water polo, its the high profile sports.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

There is a larger question here that has bothered me more and more as the years have passed. Does it really make any sense at all that college access is linked to playing a sport? I sometimes wonder whether a lot of these scholarships — and indeed many of the programs — would exist if the universities were not committed to generating a counter-narrative to the absurdities of the revenue sports (and to some extent because of Title IX). Maybe the end result is positive, but what about the girls your daughter knew who didn’t get scholarships or went to lesser schools because they didn’t play sports? It bothers me that college sports are a vehicle for the allocation of educational resources.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: