View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:46 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:
I will be the first to ask

Why would anyone rebuild a Catholic Monument?

Over 600 million has poured in already.
Nothing better to do with that money?

Yes I am callous towards religion when it puts itself above the freedom of humanity.

It's a historical site. Wouldn't matter if it was Catholic, Muslim, Parisian, Egyptian, or anything else.

Also, most of that money came from two billionaires.

There is a lot of people sharing your sentiment on social media (facebook/instagram at least). To me, it's not so much a religion thing, it's a historic French site. If a US historic site is damaged, I sure hope we fix it.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
I will be the first to ask

Why would anyone rebuild a Catholic Monument?

Over 600 million has poured in already.
Nothing better to do with that money?

Yes I am callous towards religion when it puts itself above the freedom of humanity.

It's a historical site. Wouldn't matter if it was Catholic, Muslim, Parisian, Egyptian, or anything else.

Also, most of that money came from two billionaires.

There is a lot of people sharing your sentiment on social media (facebook/instagram at least). To me, it's not so much a religion thing, it's a historic French site. If a US historic site is damaged, I sure hope we fix it.

The building is discussed in every Art and Architecture coursework because of it's design and construction. It's an important structure, not just a church.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject:

Some white male was going to burn down St Patrick's cathedral the next day

Walked in with two gas cans

Notre Dame had to have the worst fire alarm system ever
I read it took them 23 minutes to find the fire?
Were they burning some sort of secret Child Molestor files?

If God didn't want to allow them to find the fire in time to put it out
Why does he want it rebuilt

Lived
Devil

History is of the past. Spend some time writing a glorious future not preserving the past.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

As I said in a different post, I think it could very have been electrical, but I think it had to be more than just some sparks. I think it would also involve highly combustible material being ignited out of view to provide the fire time to get really going before anything could be done about.

Anyway, it's all speculation until the investigators formulate an explanation.

Wonder why they never did the obvious and put sprinklers up there, as hidden from view as possible. Cus the place is sacred? Cus they never change with the times? Pf. They probably wanted nothing modern up there and now they're getting a modern ROOF. Get with the now, Dame. Our finest building, the Library Of Congress (as if they read), has sprinklers and AC vents that they tucked into inconspicuous finials and sconces. Notre Dame = Lakers; LOC = Clippers.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Lived
Devil

History is of the past. Spend some time writing a glorious future not preserving the past.

Man.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

Lived
Devil

Man.

A man arrested carrying gas and lighters to St. Patrick's Cathedral booked a one-way flight to Rome

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

A man arrested carrying gas and lighters to St. Patrick's Cathedral booked a one-way flight to Rome[/i][/b]

LINK

hmm, wonder why he picked that church to commit a copycat type crime? It is almost as if that specific church has a meaning, and represents something far more than the average church building. Interesting.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:25 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

A man arrested carrying gas and lighters to St. Patrick's Cathedral booked a one-way flight to Rome[/i][/b]

LINK

hmm, wonder why he picked that church to commit a copycat type crime? It is almost as if that specific church has a meaning, and represents something far more than the average church building. Interesting.

Not so much?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Not so much?

maybe it is because most of you guys live in the West....but St. Patricks in the most iconic cathedral in the US. There are other.....Trinty which is more Downtown NYC in the Financial District, Washington National in DC, Cathedral Basilica in St, Louis, Trinity in Boston.....and even some historic ones in the South like St. Louis Cathedral in New Orleans and St. John the Baptist in Savannah.....but none are iconic on the level of St. Patricks.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Not so much?

maybe it is because most of you guys live in the West....but St. Patricks in the most iconic cathedral in the US. There are other.....Trinty which is more Downtown NYC in the Financial District, Washington National in DC, Cathedral Basilica in St, Louis, Trinity in Boston.....and even some historic ones in the South like St. Louis Cathedral in New Orleans and St. John the Baptist in Savannah.....but none are iconic on the level of St. Patricks.

This is true. St Pats is a east coast tour stop. LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Not so much?

I'm a SoCal kid for sure, but my father lived in New York for a number of years and I have spent a great deal of time there. So I am aware of the relative significance of St. Patrick's. It holds a place of esteem to many, particularly on the East Coast. But any comparison to Notre Dame in regards to the depth of reverence and significance falls way short. That's not a knock on St. Patrick's or those that hold it dear. It's just the reality.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Not so much?

I'm a SoCal kid for sure, but my father lived in New York for a number of years and I have spent a great deal of time there. So I am aware of the relative significance of St. Patrick's. It holds a place of esteem to many, particularly on the East Coast. But any comparison to Notre Dame in regards to the depth of reverence and significance falls way short. That's not a knock on St. Patrick's or those that hold it dear. It's just the reality.

I never suggested it was close to Notre Dame....much to the contrast, I was highlighting how much bigger of a deal Notre Dame is on a global basis. I am agnostic and I love visiting St. Patricks.....and would love to have a chance to visit Notre Dame. They are just gorgeous historical buildings. Washington National in DC is massive, but it did not have the same feel as St. Patricks. I thought John the Baptist in Savannah was really cool, and even had somewhat of an old south feel. Trinity in NYC had some reverence, but the first time I visited was after 9-11, so that could have impacted my thoughts.....honestly, not sure I would have even visited if not for it having a role for 1st Responders after 9-11.

Yankee Stadium, Fenway, Wrigley, Churchill Downs and Augusta are iconic American fields that many cherish for memories and the historical role they have played in modern American Sports History....but they do not compare to how the world views the Colosseum in Rome.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: