Official General 2019 NBA Draft Talk Thread (Lakers Get 46th Pick/Talen Horton-Tucker, Sign Cacok, Norvell, Caroline)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 130, 131, 132 ... 439, 440, 441  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
He loses the ball in traffic way more often than he pulls a good move in traffic. I think his handle ends up in Randle territory

Absolutely ridiculous. You've completely lost it on this one. I'm sorry, man, this is (bleep) bad scouting.

Take this take to Cole and see the clips you get in response, dude. Come on.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
My dudes:

I'm not ridiculously high on Zion..solid #1 pick but AD, KAT, Luka all as good of prospects

KPJ

PJ Washington

THT

Bruno Fernando

Nwora

Mcdaniels honorable mention

Interesting. Zion's a clear Durant/Lebron tier prospect, imo.

Where did you have Luka last year?

How much do you feel Zion's strength, size and vertical contribute to his dominance on the court? What skill does he possess that makes him match up with Durant and Lebron?

These are the issues I have comparing him with the "Superstars" in the NBA.

He's a better ball-handler than both Durant and Lebron by age, he's a better passer than Durant by age, he's a better offensive rebounder than either have ever been, he's a better post scorer, and he's a much, much better defender than either by age.

How effective will he be at most of these skills in the NBA (offensive rebounds, post scorer)? Is his handle good enough. KD and Lebron are such dominant scorers that are pretty un-guardable (is this a word). Not sure if Zion has their level of dominance in his game.

Not questioning just to question. I see the sheer superior physical size and athleticism he possesses. Just trying to envision how his play will translate to Superstar status. Is he actually 6'7"?
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
So Kevin Porter, Jr. posted a 2.9 BPM as a freshman this season.

Here are some other 1.0-3.0 BPM freshman seasons over the past nine years for comparison: Sports-Reference

Notice anything?

that list is huge....is there a pattern you see?

No one worth drafting in the lottery of any draft over the past 8-9 years.

Can you trust the stat when it's a bad team or a bad system?

With a sample size that broad would you bet on there not being several other comparably bad team/system scenarios? Nothing wrong with betting on statistical outliers since KPJ is so physically gifted - Jaylen Brown was around a 3.8 BPM for comparison - but I wouldn't count on drafting a solid starter from a 2.9 BPM guy let alone a high upside talent. And KPJ had over 20 games of a 35 game schedule to show something more than he did.

I definitely get it when you say KPJ doesn't know how to play basketball and all of his question marks.

I just really think the draft is THAT weak. So much so, that I don't think a lot of guys around the Laker pick would move the needle anyway.

KPJ is the kind of player that if he hits, would move the needle.

When I compare last year's draft to this year's, it is night and day. Guys like Miles and Mikal Bridges would be over Jarrett Culver, and those were late lottery picks.

Good stuff, I get you. I'm torn between "upside" in a bad draft and just cutting through the bs and drafting Malcolm Brogdon.

I would draft Malcolm Brogdon. Josh Hart should just focus on playing that role with maybe better at getting to the rim.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Looking at more clips I can see his handle being better than Lebron. But his handle being better than KD by age is ridiculous. “He’s kevin Durant.. you know who he is”
Zion still has a lot of bad/loose handle moments. And the good flashes weren’t often in the games I watched.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
My dudes:

I'm not ridiculously high on Zion..solid #1 pick but AD, KAT, Luka all as good of prospects

KPJ

PJ Washington

THT

Bruno Fernando

Nwora

How much do you feel Zion's strength, size and vertical contribute to his dominance on the court? What skill does he possess that makes him match up with Durant and Lebron?

he's so far behind in the skills department it's crazy. he might not be a functional ballhandler.....or a respectable shooter.

He is a better shooter and player than Blake Griffin coming in. If Blake wasn't always hurt, he would be a superstar. You don't have to be Lebron or Durant to be the best player in your draft class. He also is a better shooter than Lebron was at age 19.

Why was Zion a better shooter than Lebron at 19? Just for context Lebron was playing against and guarded by grown men and shooting from the NBA 3pt line. If FT% is an indicator LBJ was better.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
My dudes:

KPJ

PJ Washington

THT

Bruno Fernando

Nwora

he's so far behind in the skills department it's crazy. he might not be a functional ballhandler.....or a respectable shooter.

He is a better shooter and player than Blake Griffin coming in. If Blake wasn't always hurt, he would be a superstar. You don't have to be Lebron or Durant to be the best player in your draft class. He also is a better shooter than Lebron was at age 19.

Why was Zion a better shooter than Lebron at 19? Just for context Lebron was playing against and guarded by grown men and shooting from the NBA 3pt line. If FT% is an indicator LBJ was better.

You are right. I'll stick to the better Blake Griffin. A healthy Blake Griffin through his career is a super star. Zion is that, with elite defense.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:22 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
My dudes:

KPJ

PJ Washington

THT

Bruno Fernando

Nwora

As someone that watched LeBron from age 16+

Zion isn't the better ball-handler or shooter by age. Period.

LeBron legit played PG his rookie year for pete's sake. Zion can't do that.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject:

True Mike. I think I understated it by didn’t do it on purpose - he literally just didn’t handle the ball much or impressively in the 10 games I watched..but he has nice flashes in other clips. Still had just as many bad flashes. But I could see it ending up better than Bron one day. Rn it is not better than Bron at same age
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:09 am    Post subject:

Here's how I see the Draft -

#1 Zion
#2 Ja
#3 RJ
#4 Rui
#5 Hunter
#6 Jaxson
#7 Reddish
#8 Culver
#9 Bruno
#10 Coby
#11 Darius Garland

To be honest, once you get past 7 or 8, it's a toss-up. Absolute eye of the beholder.

If we stay at 11th:

Reddish (if he falls that far) - love his ability to shoot off the ball and defensive instincts/length at the 2.

Garland - love his ability to create his own shot and his handles - probably the best coming out of college since Kyrie.

Clarke - love that he was super efficient in an offense that didn't feature him or have many plays called for him. Culture Changer Defensively. Low Maintenance, dirty work player who you don't realize how important he is or all he does until he's not on the court, a lot like Lonzo.

Hard to say how other players would fare given the absence of HC and PBO along with the potential to add a significant piece in Free Agency. These 3 (Reddish/Garland/Clarke) are players I'd select no matter who the HC or PBO ends up being.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:14 am    Post subject:

Who are good options at 4?
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:32 am    Post subject:

I think Keldon Johnson is a project. Could come into the NBA as a tough defender like Josh Hart but will need to improve his skillset to make an impact.

He's a 3/4 in the body of a 2/3.

I don't see him as a lottery pick in most years but this year? He will likely be a late lottery pick.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:36 am    Post subject:

whens the lottery
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:37 am    Post subject:

May 21 I think
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:56 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
May 21 I think

Tuesday, May 14
2019 NBA Draft Lottery
Pidge
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:08 am    Post subject:

Haven't seen anywhere near enough this year, but Coby White seems to be the strategic choice from the 2/3 tier guys. Any thoughts on him? Worth trading up for?

The pace seems a good fit for Lonzo/LBJ, decent handle and change of direction. But I'm only seeing highlights, where are the drawbacks? Defensive liability? Weak outside shot? Ball hog?

Sure it'll come down to BPA, but I think landing a guard should be a priority.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
My dudes:

KPJ

PJ Washington

THT

Bruno Fernando

Nwora

As someone that watched LeBron from age 16+

Zion isn't the better ball-handler or shooter by age. Period.

LeBron legit played PG his rookie year for pete's sake. Zion can't do that.

Lebron was a PG as a rookie because he's one of the best passers the game has ever seen. Zion will never touch that, but Lebron's handle? Come on.

And any team not named Dallas that drafts Zion should have him play de facto PG next season.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject:

Regardless, dude's a better prospect than Kyrie, AD, Luka, KAT, Simmons, Griffen, et. al.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject:

Is it possible Garland can fall to us?
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject:

Seriously doubt Garland is there at 11. He is a star that nobody seems to be talking about but when he does workouts.....top 3-5 player this draft.

If he somehow does drop to us......we would have been graced by the basketball gods lolol
He and lonzo in the backcourt......wow
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

Probably.. especially since he’s signed to Klutch.

I’m team trade down. Boston and the Nets are candidates w multiple picks in the 1st behind us.

If it’s BK, I’d love to draft NAW or Fernando at 17, and then one of Nwora(SF/PF), McDaniels(PF), Queta(C), or Weatherspoon(PG) at 27. Assuming the Cam Johnson’s And Thybulles are gone
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject:

I’d guess Garland goes before 11 but it’s possible for sure
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject:

Pidge wrote:
Haven't seen anywhere near enough this year, but Coby White seems to be the strategic choice from the 2/3 tier guys. Any thoughts on him? Worth trading up for?

The pace seems a good fit for Lonzo/LBJ, decent handle and change of direction. But I'm only seeing highlights, where are the drawbacks? Defensive liability? Weak outside shot? Ball hog?

His wingspan is really bad and he needs to improve his decision making because it leads to different mistakes in his game.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

Slim.

Legit debating to trade Kuzma and 11 to get him.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject:

Outside of a few names, I hope we trade out of this draft. He more I read the less excited I get.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject:

[quote="Practice"]
Pidge wrote:

His wingspan is really bad and he needs to improve his decision making because it leads to different mistakes in his

How about Bol? I’m high on this guy
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 130, 131, 132 ... 439, 440, 441  Next
Page 131 of 441
Jump to: