The Lakers Are Becoming A Parody Of Themselves
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: The Lakers Are Becoming A Parody Of Themselves

Quote:
The Los Angeles Lakers have had three top basketball decision-makers in the last 37 years. One of them was the greatest executive in NBA history, Jerry West. One of them was his handpicked successor, Mitch Kupchak. And one of them was the team's greatest ever player, Magic Johnson. In other words, this job hasn't really been available for almost four decades. It should be now that Johnson has stepped down, and if it ever truly did just about every top executive in the NBA would be interested in the position.

But the Lakers haven't even tried to replace Johnson. All reports have indicated that Rob Pelinka is in control of basketball operations for the team at this point, and that probably won't change. And according to Marc Stein's New York Times newsletter, the rest of the NBA is thrilled about that.

"In numerous rival organizations, there is both shock and relief that the Lakers haven’t responded to events of the past week by chasing the likes of Golden State’s Bob Myers, San Antonio’s R.C. Buford and Oklahoma City’s Sam Presti before they go looking for a new coach."

The Lakers are becoming a parody of themselves at this point. There seems to be a genuine belief among the franchise's top decision-makers that Pelinka, who is widely loathed around the NBA, is qualified to rebuild this organization just because Kobe Bryant once trusted him. It certainly looks like Kurt Rambis, once described by Adrian Wojnarowski when he was at Yahoo as "beyond unpopular," is gaining power in the front office. The Lakers have missed the playoffs six years in a row and still turn their nose up at every other team in basketball.

It's not as if these decisions universally work. Jeanie Buss just hired the ultimate Laker, Magic Johnson, only two years ago. He's already gone. Many of the best moves in franchise history have come when the team has looked outside of its immediate orbit and hired based strictly on merit. Phil Jackson never played or coached for the Lakers, but he had just won six championships in eight years. Hiring him was a no-brainer even without a Laker legacy. Bill Sharman played for the hated Boston Celtics, but hiring him as coach ultimately led to West finally winning a championship as a player and a league-record 33-game winning streak.

The Lakers have every resource imaginable to entice the best talent in basketball both on and off of the court. They have history. They have geography. They money. They have LeBron James. But none of it matters if ownership refuses to use it. The Lakers are so caught up in their ancient history that they are ignoring their recent history. If they don't change course quickly, they'll likely be doomed to repeat it.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-rivals-are-relieved-at-lakers-handling-of-front-office/
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject:

I remember telling people that Jeanie was a problem way back when we had Jim and Mitch.

The article about her freaking out at the Lakers Facility and being sent home sealed it for me.

She's not cutout for this.
kb24GOAT
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:
I remember telling people that Jeanie was a problem way back when we had Jim and Mitch.

The article about her freaking out at the Lakers Facility and being sent home sealed it for me.

link to article? when was this?
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject:

She’s nice. She means well, but we don’t need to do it the Laker way and start doing it the modern basketball way. Start by hiring a legit PoBo
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Lakers Are Becoming A Parody Of Themselves

Outspoken wrote:

The Lakers have every resource imaginable to entice the best talent in basketball both on and off of the court. They have history. ...

AND A SENTENCE LATER

The Lakers are so caught up in their ancient history that they are ignoring their recent history. .

This was my favorite part of the article
Sago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject:

kb24GOAT wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:

It’s probably when the Lakers went D’antoni instead of Phil. jeanie found out and was crying like crazy in the facility and was sent home
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject:

We’re gonna be a failure as long as Jeanie is in charge
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Lakers Are Becoming A Parody Of Themselves

activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

The Lakers have every resource imaginable to entice the best talent in basketball both on and off of the court. They have history. ...

AND A SENTENCE LATER

The Lakers are so caught up in their ancient history that they are ignoring their recent history. .

This was my favorite part of the article

Truth.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject:

John Hollinger, is that you?
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject:

This article sums up my feelings pretty well.

I still hold out hope that somehow, somewhere, I'm wrong about Jeannie and she's working the back channels for a top notch President capable of developing a perennially competitive club.

My fear is that I'm right about Jeannie, and that the conjectures about Kurt, Linda and Rob directing the future of this franchise have merit.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject:

I'm not going to comment on the merits of this article, but it is interesting in that it reflects how Sports journalism is done today.

It has no original reporting. All the information is taken from other articles. And when you go back to those articles, you find their information was generally taken from other articles. So all these articles seem to stem from the same exact base material.

and then all the writers do is sandwich their own observations and jokes between the links to other people's articles. Since reporters are doing so little reporting, they grab onto whatever theme is hot and perpetuate it.

In essence all these articles could be classified as commentaries about the few original articles. I appreciate reporters need to do that to feed the internet beast. Results in a lot of herd thinking.

Last edited by activeverb on Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Lakers are so caught up in their ancient history that they are ignoring their recent history. If they don't change course quickly, they'll likely be doomed to repeat

Wait, so will we 3-peat history?
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Can't wait for Phil Jackson to come back. You know someone's whispering in Jeanie's ear.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
I'm not going to comment on the merits of this article, but it is interesting in that it reflects how Sports journalism is done today.

It has no original reporting. All the information is taken from other articles. And when you go back to those articles, you find their information was generally taken from other articles. So all these articles seem to stem from the same exact base material.

and then all the writers do is sandwich their own observations and jokes between the links to other people's articles. Since reporters are doing so little reporting, they grab onto whatever theme is hot and perpetuate it.

In essence all these articles could be classified as commentaries about the few original articles. I appreciate reporters need to do that to feed the internet beast. Results in a lot of herd thinking.

It's the "journalistic" equivalent of the telephone game.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Keep kicking us when we are down. A-holes!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
activeverb wrote:

It's the "journalistic" equivalent of the telephone game.

I've long ago come to the conclusion that "sources" are other articles. It's painfully obvious they do this.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Kava wrote:

I actually welcome stuff like this. The talking heads throughout the media has pretty much come into unanimous agreement on what the Lakers need to do for their FO and are making too much noise for Jeanie to just ignore.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

RobinInHood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject:

Sago wrote:
kb24GOAT wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:

It’s probably when the Lakers went D’antoni instead of Phil. jeanie found out and was crying like crazy in the facility and was sent home

That is just...wow. Unreal
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
Kava wrote:

I actually welcome stuff like this. The talking heads throughout the media has pretty much come into unanimous agreement on what the Lakers need to do for their FO and are making too much noise for Jeanie to just ignore.

Right or wrong - I just can't stand the collective media feeling like they can influence decisions for my team.

That's a slippery slope in any walk of life.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject:

Many here were saying the same when Dr. Buss passed. It is rare for the second generation to live up to the first. Things were more optimistic when Mitch was here but when they stupidly let him go, the idiocy of the Buss kids was in full display.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Kava wrote:

Right or wrong - I just can't stand the collective media feeling like they can influence decisions for my team.

That's a slippery slope in any walk of life.

Reporters and commentors really aren't trying to influence decisions. They pile on because piling on to an existing story, and pushing the conventional wisdom, is an easy way to fill space and air time.

They are just churning out the story of the day, and tomorrow will be a new day and a new story. Most of them could care less who the Lakers GM is; they are after clicks.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject:

It's so Jeanie can maneuver around copyright law and market "The Dumb Lakers"
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Is the author of this article calling Magic one of the top basketball decision-makers of the last 37 years? And people are taking this article seriously?
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
Is the author of this article calling Magic one of the top basketball decision-makers of the last 37 years? And people are taking this article seriously?

That part made me laugh but I think they mean as a player.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: