KOBE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject:

Kobe was the Raptors killer, and his game in 2013 where he willed the team to victory with 3 unbelievable three's in a row was probably my most recent favorite.

But I recently started watching clips from the 02-03 season, just to watch that young Kobe go to work, in a season where he torched everyone, and was officially named the heir-apparent to MJ....and then 04 happened.

Anyways, so many amazing moment, Kobe was the most beautiful basketball player I've ever seen. He was lacking the vertical and hangtime that MJ had, but he made up for it with his creativity.

Just a once in a lifetime athlete who "figured it out" and was able to do out of this world things with his craft.
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Damn, you guys have pulled a couple of entries out of the volt that damned near slipped my mind...love it.

After the "wheelin, dealin" open court play vs. the warriors in 08, this is my favorite Kobe play: AK47 had been guarding Kobe quite well, including a stretch during which he blocked 3 of Kobe's deep jump shots in the first half. Kirilenko's length was an obviously an issue. At some point he catches on that AK is going for straight up all-or-nothing blocks on all his shots, so what's he do? Come the third quarter, Kobe, the indomitable wizard that he is, adjusts. And how!

Kobe pump fakes two Jazz defenders so hard that they collide and fuse together to become just one really white Matt Harpring

Whether this was the most impressive part of the play is open to interpretation. The dance Kobe had devised required so much dark arts mojo that it left him disoriented, facing away from the hoop with a picked up dribble. He still had to make a play at the basket before the undead corpses of his victims could stumble back on to the court. No matter. Kobe jumped, turned his body in the air, and scored. After this play, Kirilenko was never the same. A once promising career as a stretch swiss army knife went to ruin. In his last days Kirilenko became addicted to huffing tennis ball cans and made a name for himself in the Magic: The Gathering competitive world before ultimately leaping to his own death at the hoover dam. RIP AK47

Always a way with words. I had to read this post multiple times.

Here's an under the radar play - That time he casually made Matt Barnes look like a fool. No, not THAT time, another time
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Tony Almeida wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Tony Almeida wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Not sure if posted but this power dribble to the right to a reverse pivot at MSG was filthy:

That's some 9th degree black belt stuff right there.

-- Of course TA beat me with that clip .

JB!

Haha, yeah, and turns out it's a CMB upload.

That pivot was INSANE. I recall trying that in the gym the next day. Pretty sure I traveled. Double dribbled. Crab dribbled. And then airballed. Really felt like PnP for that glorious minute though.

I kid you not, I remember a few days later, Lebron tried to do the same move and damn near stumbled. Bron has amazing footwork "for his size" but Mamba is on a different planet.

Exactly. Lebron for his size is impressive, but on an absolute basis, not even on the same damn planet as skills as Kobe. Watching Lebron operate in the post is a chore at best, cringey at worst.

Watching Kobe was artistic brilliance. Lebron is a bulldozer. It's not even comparable.

You ever think what Kobe does in this era of fast pace, no defense, obscene amount of 3s? It's not a stretch to think he breaks 100 once. The dude got 62 in 3 on the WC leading Mavs.

Rewatched this tonight.. Kobes last game... TWENTY YEARS...
60 points after 20 years... slashing and swooshing

^^differences in post ability right there

I was so fortunate to have went to that last game. Best sporting experience of my life.
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Tony Almeida wrote:
Guys, here's an obvious one -

That time this mf'er hit 2 free throws after tearing his achilles

6 years ago to the day.

Perhaps his signature "play" of his career.

What kind of maniac tears his achilles and not only stays in the game but hits both free throws?

I see you Kobe and I miss you!

Think you're right Lanny. If not THE signature play, it has to be top 3. It encapsulated everything about him.

F'in maniac is right. How about when he messed up his finger on his shooting hand, but instead of missing games, just changed his shot form and kept on going. Good grief.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:52 am    Post subject:

Tony Almeida wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Damn, you guys have pulled a couple of entries out of the volt that damned near slipped my mind...love it.

After the "wheelin, dealin" open court play vs. the warriors in 08, this is my favorite Kobe play: AK47 had been guarding Kobe quite well, including a stretch during which he blocked 3 of Kobe's deep jump shots in the first half. Kirilenko's length was an obviously an issue. At some point he catches on that AK is going for straight up all-or-nothing blocks on all his shots, so what's he do? Come the third quarter, Kobe, the indomitable wizard that he is, adjusts. And how!

Kobe pump fakes two Jazz defenders so hard that they collide and fuse together to become just one really white Matt Harpring

Whether this was the most impressive part of the play is open to interpretation. The dance Kobe had devised required so much dark arts mojo that it left him disoriented, facing away from the hoop with a picked up dribble. He still had to make a play at the basket before the undead corpses of his victims could stumble back on to the court. No matter. Kobe jumped, turned his body in the air, and scored. After this play, Kirilenko was never the same. A once promising career as a stretch swiss army knife went to ruin. In his last days Kirilenko became addicted to huffing tennis ball cans and made a name for himself in the Magic: The Gathering competitive world before ultimately leaping to his own death at the hoover dam. RIP AK47

Always a way with words. I had to read this post multiple times.

Here's an under the radar play - That time he casually made Matt Barnes look like a fool. No, not THAT time, another time

damned nice pull TA...haven't seen that in years
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:40 am    Post subject:

Greatest thread ever, should be permanently stickied..

Thanks for the posts guys.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
Greatest thread ever, should be permanently stickied..

Thanks for the posts guys.

kobe
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: