Powerful Words by Kyle Kover

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Powerful Words by Kyle Kover

There’s an elephant in the room that I’ve been thinking about a lot over these last few weeks. It’s the fact that, demographically, if we’re being honest: I have more in common with the fans in the crowd at your average NBA game than I have with the players on the court.

And after the events in Salt Lake City last month, and as we’ve been discussing them since, I’ve really started to recognize the role those demographics play in my privilege. It’s like — I may be Thabo’s friend, or Ekpe’s teammate, or Russ’s colleague; I may work with those guys. And I absolutely 100% stand with them.

But I look like the other guy.

https://twitter.com/KyleKorver/status/1115247080501579776

Coach Wooden
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject:

Yes. This was a wonderful read.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject:

Great read. As a companion piece, Marc Spears at The Undefeated wrote a couple years back about the lives of white American-born NBA players and their shrinking ranks over the decades: link.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject:

Wow, there's more going on up in Korver's head than I gave him credit for.
Good Read.
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject:

Kyle's almost 40 years old and Iverson was his teammate at one point. How are you just realizing this? The NBA changed the dress code because of him, talking about it looked bad for the "sponsors".

Oh that's right because Thabo is international, speaks three languages and still his first thought was, "Why was he at the club anyway." I'm glad he finally has some understanding and self-awareness. Again, it seems like having a black person ( thabo) that's truly your friend is the eye-opener.

White Privilege also means having the luxury to come to these conclusions late in life.
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Great read. As a companion piece, Marc Spears at The Undefeated wrote a couple years back about the lives of white American-born NBA players and their shrinking ranks over the decades: link.

It was a good read.....

Coach Wooden
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Black20Ice wrote:
Kyle's almost 40 years old and Iverson was his teammate at one point. How are you just realizing this? The NBA changed the dress code because of him, talking about it looked bad for the "sponsors".

Oh that's right because Thabo is international, speaks three languages and still his first thought was, "Why was he at the club anyway." I'm glad he finally has some understanding and self-awareness. Again, it seems like having a black person ( thabo) that's truly your friend is the eye-opener.

White Privilege also means having the luxury to come to these conclusions late in life.

That's what you took from his article?

Coach Wooden
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject:

SpunkieLakerCat wrote:

Not completely. I know this article wasn't meant for me as a Black person. But what this does mean is that a issue that was swept under the rug by the NYPD is now being discussed on a broader scale. And that a white person is publicly holding other White people accountable which is a start.

I don’t believe this is the fix all. He’s not saying anything we haven’t experienced—he’s not saying anything new under the sun. But he is saying it to HIS people. This isn't for me.

Yes, I get that.
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Black20Ice wrote:
SpunkieLakerCat wrote:

Not completely. I know this article wasn't meant for me as a Black person. But what this does mean is that a issue that was swept under the rug by the NYPD is now being discussed on a broader scale. And that a white person is publicly holding other White people accountable which is a start.

I don’t believe this is the fix all. He’s not saying anything we haven’t experienced—he’s not saying anything new under the sun. But he is saying it to HIS people. This isn't for me.

Yes, I get that.

Yes that's the point, Kyle was willing to be uncomfortable, and I for one appreciate it.

Coach Wooden
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject:

I definitely appreciate it. I just hope it wont be the only one like that...
dxfactor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject:

This statement below was a gem -

"And we all have to be accountable — period. Not just for our own actions, but also for the ways that our inaction can create a “safe” space for toxic behavior."
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject:

Great piece from Mr. Korver. Thanks for posting, OP.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: