First Time Hearing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: First Time Hearing

I don't know how many have run across any of the many videos on YouTube called first time hearing, or so and so reacts, or something to that effect where someone unfamiliar with a song (usually a great song) hears and reacts to it for the first time.

Here is an example. Its cool to see someone hear, react to, and begin to get into to a true classic rock song for the first time.

So, to continue this, how about we try to think of songs we are familiar with that might be a bit obscure and that others who travel here, might not have heard, either as different versions of a song, or from a different genre than is popular, or from another time period, or songs that we suspect others might have heard playing in the background somewhere, but are not very familiar with.

The song I offer is more to the latter. This song, many are familiar with, more have heard, but most would not recognize the band name. It is a song for rock fans, country fans, guitar loving fans alike. It went all the way up to 108 on the charts. It is live and one of best examples of live rock music for the period--1973.

VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject:

A song my father played all the time...

I've watched a few of those vids of youngsters reacting to Classic Rock...always fun

FIRST TIME HEARING LED ZEPPELIN "Dazed and Confused"

lots of opera in my house when I was a baby also

LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject:

A lot of those "reaction" videos get around to Tim Minchin's "Prejudice" sooner or later, and those are always fun.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Edmund Fitzgerald

Charlie Daniels

Don McClean

Leem Lubany

House of the Rising Sun

Opie's Wake

Mr Elfman

Constant Sorrow

Danny Boy

Mr Sandman
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Here's a song that I bet few of you have ever heard. It is from a band from Texas that had a top 10 hit that most will know however.

This is a great little somewhat fuzzy video, complete with some really cool go-go dancers. Be sure to watch them as the guitar break ends and just the rhythm carries the song. Simple but cool.

ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject:

The Road Goes on Forever by your favorite Texas Aggie a very young Robert Earle Keen Jr.

Steve Earle (bleep) up out of his mind killing it on Copperhead Road with Mandolin unaccompanied.

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject:

This I like, dude is a pretty famous artist in his homeland now but this is how he was discovered, singing steelheart 'she's gone' in a karaoke machine of someone's house

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
The Road Goes on Forever by your favorite Texas Aggie a very young Robert Earle Keen Jr.

Steve Earle (bleep) up out of his mind killing it on Copperhead Road with Mandolin unaccompanied.

Wow. Steve Earle was young once! Enjoyed both.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject:

Here is a live version of someone who, as Johnny Marr said, what Muddy Waters was to Keith Richards, or Eric Clapton, Bert Jansch was to me. He was also a hero of Jimmy Page.

ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject:

I forgot this one from my previous post. I met this guy years ago when he was in his early 20s he came thru town here travelling with a street magician . One night he played with a local rock band and tore it up so much he had people literally dancing on the tables. If it has strings he can play it. Electric Mandolin and standiing bass are his best though. Anyhow this song a cover of Don Gibson's Sea of Heartbreak looks like it was recorded by phone in a hotel room. I like it over his live or official versions.

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
I forgot this one from my previous post. I met this guy years ago when he was in his early 20s he came thru town here travelling with a street magician . One night he played with a local rock band and tore it up so much he had people literally dancing on the tables. If it has strings he can play it. Electric Mandolin and standiing bass are his best though. Anyhow this song a cover of Don Gibson's Sea of Heartbreak looks like it was recorded by phone in a hotel room. I like it over his live or official versions.

Nice or is it noice. Either will do.

As YouTube auto-played, this came up. The guy's a goof but certainly talented.

ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

Nice or is it noice. Either will do.

As YouTube auto-played, this came up. The guy's a goof but certainly talented.

Rumor has it he spent a good bit of his young life travelling around with his parents and younger sister in Bill Monroe's old tour bus. That might get you that way lol.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: