OFFICIAL: College Basketball 2018-19 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject:

Is UCI the best college team in California at 23-5? They did beat St. Marys at Moraga & Texas A&M at College Station.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject:

There was a rumor that the head coach of UCI was one of the candidates to be the next basketball coach at UCLA.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:43 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
There was a rumor that the head coach of UCI was one of the candidates to be the next basketball coach at UCLA.

24-5 after tonite
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
Is UCI the best college team in California at 23-5? They did beat St. Marys at Moraga & Texas A&M at College Station.

maybe...I have watched USC and UCLA this year, and they are just bad. Not as bad as my WVU Mountaineers, but pretty bad.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject:

The most impressive current streak in college basketball is close to ending. Kansas have been Big 12 Champions for 14 straight seasons. The last 3 seasons WVU has finished 2nd in the Season and Tournament, but could never get over the hump. This season, with 2 games remaining, Kansas is 1.5 game behind Texas Tech and Kansas State. Kansas would need to win their remaining 2 games, and Texas Tech and Kansas State to both lose their final game to share the conference title. It is unlikely.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
The most impressive current streak in college basketball is close to ending. Kansas have been Big 12 Champions for 14 straight seasons. The last 3 seasons WVU has finished 2nd in the Season and Tournament, but could never get over the hump. This season, with 2 games remaining, Kansas is 1.5 game behind Texas Tech and Kansas State. Kansas would need to win their remaining 2 games, and Texas Tech and Kansas State to both lose their final game to share the conference title. It is unlikely.

the streak is over.....Kansas falls to Oklahoma 81-68!
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

24-5 after tonite

WHAT DOES AN ANTEATER SAY!?!?!?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Also, RJ Barrett is special.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Is he?

Technically I don't even have a tier 2 with draft prospects. I'm tired of him trying to physically dominate the NCAA class.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
MJST wrote:

Is he?

Technically I don't even have a tier 2 with draft prospects. I'm tired of him trying to physically dominate the NCAA class.

I think he can be. I need more information....like what is Coach K telling him....what is his directions. He clearly has adequate court vision and passing ability, but appears to trust no player on that team besides Zion and Reddish. Is Coach K directing him to play selfishly? He is a slightly above average athlete by NBA standards...has a great frame, and the jump shot looks ok to me. Again, is the inefficiency deeply ingrained in his game, or is some of it scheme?

Last edited by adkindo on Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject:

UCI 26-5 after throttling CPO 110-72. 13 road wins is the most in DI.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject:

UCI now 27-5 after beating CSUN tonite and finishing the conference 15-1.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject:

#10 Seed WVU beats #2 Seed and Big 12 Co-Champ Texas Tech to advance to the Big12 Semi-Finals!!

This has been a historically bad season for WVU. We were ranked #13 in the country in the pre-season, but the team has been decimated by injuries and player discipline issues from the beginning. All 5 starters to begin the season had their season end to injury or have been kicked off the team.

--Before the season started, our highest rated Freshman recruit was on indefinite suspension.

--By the time conference play started, our two best players were out with injuries and likely done for the season.

--About half way through the season, 2 starters were kicked off the team....one Senior and one Junior who had started every game they played in since arriving at WVU.

--a few games later, another starter left the team. By this time, we are losing games by 20 and 30 points. I would have said we may have been the worst high major team in the country.

Then something crazy started to happen...these Freshman and first year players began to get big minutes and play hard. The recruit that was suspended indefinitely, returned and put up monster games. We actually started winning a few games to close out the season starting 3 True Freshmen, a Sophomore and a JUCO transfer. Still we finished last in the conference.

Arrived in Kansas City for the Big 12 Tournament, and upset #7 Seed Oklahoma in the first round. Then tonight, we upset the #2 Seed (#7 Nationally) Texas Tech to get to the Semi-Finals. It was the first time in the Big12 a #10 Seed has beat a #2 Seed in the tournament.

Although still very unlikely, 2 more wins and we are in the tournament. Most considered Texas Tech the best team in the conference. It is amazing how we became a much better team by removing all of those upperclassmen.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Texas A&M fires Coach Billy Kennedy.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Huh. I don't know that they'll do better.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
adkindo wrote:

UCI beating them in their own arena didn't help his case. UCI now 29-5 after beating Long Beach St 49ers.

UCI plays CSUF in the BigWest Tournament Finals tonite (ESPN2 9:00pm).
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
adkindo wrote:

there has been chatter for a couple years that they plan on taking their basketball to another level....and they have more money than they know what to do with. I am not saying it will happen, but they grabbed Jimbo from FSU....I would not be shocked if they go after Cal.....or maybe they just grab Sampson from Houston.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject:

UCLA and USC both lost in the Pac-12 tournament so they are out from the NCAA tournament. Looks like UCI will probably be the only team from Socal unless Cal State Fullerton pulls off the upset in the Big West tournament.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:

St Mary's beat Gonzaga in the WCC tournament so I guess they locked in their spot in the tournament.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Anybody remember in the late 80's and early 90's when UCSB, Long Beach State and LMU made it to the tourney? Whatever happened to those programs?
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject:

UCI is killing Fullerton right now, fun game to watch. Surprisingly decent team. Welp is killing it, he has all the moves. Good for this kid.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:

St Mary's beat Gonzaga in the WCC tournament so I guess they locked in their spot in the tournament.

one of the few stolen bids from the tournaments....actually, it is the only one I can think of right now
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Anybody remember in the late 80's and early 90's when UCSB, Long Beach State and LMU made it to the tourney? Whatever happened to those programs?

the last time LMU made the tournament if I recall correctly was the 1990 team with Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble....Gathers actually passed before the tournament started. That team with those two guys made it in '88, '89, and '90. Some claim they actually had a chance in 1990 to win the whole thing if not for Gathers passing.....Kimble took them to the Elite 8. Honestly, I do not recall LMU ever being relevant before or after that period....and that was more of a "Randy Moss @ Marshall" situation....where Gathers and Kimble transferred in from USC.....and LMU has never been able to recruit that type of talent. LMU was kind of just in the right place at the right time....because Gathers and Kimble were from Philly, and when they decided to bounce from USC, they did not want to go back East so soon.

The Gauchos and Long Beach State have been decent a couple times during the last decade and made the tournament. Still nothing to match that LMU team....that team remains iconic. I still recall Kimble shooting his first free throw of each game left handed in memory of Gathers.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

the last time LMU made the tournament if I recall correctly was the 1990 team with Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble....Gathers actually passed before the tournament started. That team with those two guys made it in '88, '89, and '90. Some claim they actually had a chance in 1990 to win the whole thing if not for Gathers passing.....Kimble took them to the Elite 8. Honestly, I do not recall LMU ever being relevant before or after that period....and that was more of a "Randy Moss @ Marshall" situation....where Gathers and Kimble transferred in from USC.....and LMU has never been able to recruit that type of talent. LMU was kind of just in the right place at the right time....because Gathers and Kimble were from Philly, and when they decided to bounce from USC, they did not want to go back East so soon.

The Gauchos and Long Beach State have been decent a couple times during the last decade and made the tournament. Still nothing to match that LMU team....that team remains iconic. I still recall Kimble shooting his first free throw of each game left handed in memory of Gathers.

I remember those 80s and early 90 teams -- UCI with Kevin Magee & Ben McDonald, Boyd Grant's Fresno State defensive teams, Jerry Pimms UCSB teams, Tark and the Running Rebels, Tex Winter's LB 49er teams -- helluva an era
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Ja Morant.

If this kid was a stock, I am buying. Sensational player.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: