Jazz fan who yelled at Russell Westbrook filing lawsuit
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Jazz fan who yelled at Russell Westbrook filing lawsuit

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/03/12/jazz-fan-who-yelled-at-russell-westbrook-filing-lawsuit/

Quote:
Jazz fan who yelled at Russell Westbrook filing lawsuit

You shouldn’t be yelling at NBA players just because you are sitting in near the court. But some folks spend their money in order to feel better about themselves and blow off some steam. Perhaps cognitive behavioral therapy would be a better use of that cash?

In either case, the fan who was yelling at Russell Westbrook on Monday night has been permanently banned from all Utah Jazz games. The Oklahoma City Thunder point guard has said that he felt the comments made by Shane Keisel were racially-charged.

Now it appears that Keisel will be filing a lawsuit against Westbrook.

According to KSL 5 in Salt Lake City, the disruptive fan will take legal action against Westbrook for threatening him and his wife.

Via KSL 5:

Keisel said there were no racial remarks made from him or anyone around him. He said he’s filing a lawsuit against Russell Westbrook, and he’s has been advised to shut down his social media accounts.

“I don’t care,” he said. “He can threaten me all he wants. I was the one talking to him … but don’t threaten a woman. She’s 5 feet tall and 110 pounds, man. Never said a word to him.”

Keisel said he and his family have been receiving death threats, and the picture painted of him is wrong.

The Jazz have investigated the incident and concluded that Westbrook’s account of what happened between him and Keisel is correct, and that the conversation between them did not start off as playful banter.

Who knows if this lawsuit will come to anything. It seems that frivolous to spend your own money on something that has already been disputed by several witnesses, but apparently Keisel doesn’t have a lot of regard for his own wallet.

Don’t yell at NBA players, guys.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject:

I think this is the dumbest thing ever. As paying fans we should be able to say whatever the hell we want to players, coaches, reporters and nba executives no matter how disrespectful. They get paid millions of dollars a year and they are on the center stage so they should be able to deal with this stuff.

The only exception to this is that banter shouldn’t be racist in any way shape or form, not attack The disabled or children under the age of 18.

But when it comes to the players and basketball. It should be open season on them all day long
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
I think this is the dumbest thing ever. As paying fans we should be able to say whatever the hell we want to players, coaches, reporters and nba executives no matter how disrespectful. They get paid millions of dollars a year and they are on the center stage so they should be able to deal with this stuff.

The only exception to this is that banter shouldn’t be racist in any way shape or form, not attack The disabled or children under the age of 18.

But when it comes to the players and basketball. It should be open season on them all day long

You are also on private property and they have the right to evict you if your behavior doesn't meet their standards.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
999 wrote:

You are also on private property and they have the right to evict you if your behavior doesn't meet their standards.

Yea that’s fine... let’s coddle these millionaires even more and make sure the trash talking fan who helps finance their careers do not get under their skin.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject:

That Knick fan didn’t deserve to get banned and to be fair. Westbrook retaliated at that fan a 25k fine is not enough. How About a 3-4 game suspension without pay? It would teach players to ignore disrespectful fans
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
999 wrote:

Yea that’s fine... let’s coddle these millionaires even more and make sure the trash talking fan who helps finance their careers do not get under their skin.

Theres also penalty for acting like a jackass in public. The fan crossed the line. You buying a ticket doesn't give you the right to yell whatever you want in public.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Imagine all the crap that was said to kobe. Did he ask for fans to be ejected?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
999 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
999 wrote:

Theres also penalty for acting like a jackass in public. The fan crossed the line. You buying a ticket doesn't give you the right to yell whatever you want in public.

Look if it’s racist or attacks them personally like family, children etc. than your right it doesn’t give them the right. But keep it about basketball and attack their skill set, personality or team than that should be fair game
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:

Then the player should be able to pull you out of the stands and beat your ass.

I hope that Westbrook counted sues for workplace violence. At least the Jazz stepped up and banned the fool.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
999 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
999 wrote:

Look if it’s racist or attacks them personally like family, children etc. than your right it doesn’t give them the right. But keep it about basketball and attack their skill set, personality or team than that should be fair game

The arena has mics and cameras all over they can tell if what the guy said crossed the line and deserved to be banned. I'll take their word over some guy who wasn't there.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
999 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
999 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
999 wrote:

The arena has mics and cameras all over they can tell if what the guy said crossed the line and deserved to be banned. I'll take their word over some guy who wasn't there.

If the guy said something racist than I agree. Kick his ass out
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
999 wrote:

I hope that Westbrook counted sues for workplace violence. At least the Jazz stepped up and banned the fool.

Cmon. Workplace violence?? The fan is not an employee of the Jazz.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:

If the guy said something racist than I agree. Kick his ass out

He said something racist, confirmed by multiple players and the Jazz org, and basically also confirmed by Donovan Mitchell's letter to the Jazz fans. Other players have complained for years about the racist nonsense they hear in Utah.

Also, the guy didn't really help his case by threatening Westbrook on Twitter in the past and basically blasting Twitter with his racist garbage all the time. That dude is just a trash human being.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
999 wrote:

I'm not surprised...after the Malice at the Palace the NBA doesn't want a repeat of that incident. It was a black eye for the league. They would rather kick out some fan who might have been a fan for decades than risk the bad press that might cost them millions in bad publicity.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:

Is it anymore ridiculous than a white couple suing a black man because they got banned from a venue for yelling racist garbage at him? Westbrook has a lot more resources to throw at a nuisance suit. And it isn't like he hasn't made threats to Westbrook before. I guarantee you he has guns and probably is doing target practice on pictures of Russ with his KKK buddies.

Russ should bury Kiesel and his wife in lawsuits until they file for bankruptcy from legal fees.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
They would rather kick out some fan who might have been a fan for decades than risk the bad press that might cost them millions in bad publicity.

No, they would rather not have racism anywhere near the NBA. Dude isn't a fan, he's a guy weirdly obsessed with Russ and sending African Americans back to Africa so he can live in his white homeland or whatever. And it wasn't the league, it was the Jazz themselves as their own players don't want that guy around. They all know what he's about. But yeah, Silver needs to slap a lifetime ban on him from any NBA game.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject:

All Jazz fans should be banned. They're awful. Also, as a fan, I love to be loud but I would never curse or say anything offensive or personal to a player, and I wouldn't want anyone around me doing it either, so as far as I'm concerned, ejecting fans like this is important to preserve the enjoyment of other fans as well as to protect players.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Repeat offenders should receive league-wide bans. Wouldn't be surprised if this guy travels to OKC.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:

It isn't. though.

The NBA Code of Conduct (and many tickets) clearly says that foul and abusive language is against the rules, and fans can be ejected for such conduct.

It's not just about protecting the players. The NBA doesn't want their arenas filled with morons who are yelling bscenities because many other fans find that annoying.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
999 wrote:

It isn't. though.

The NBA Code of Conduct (and many tickets) clearly says that foul and abusive language is against the rules, and fans can be ejected for such conduct.

It's not just about protecting the players. The NBA doesn't want their arenas filled with morons who are yelling bscenities because many other fans find that annoying.

I’m talking about foul language. That shouldn’t be tolerated. But we should be able to criticize the player on basketball topics and topics ranging from his team to physical abilities without the use of foul language.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
999 wrote:

Is it anymore ridiculous than a white couple suing a black man because they got banned from a venue for yelling racist garbage at him? Westbrook has a lot more resources to throw at a nuisance suit. And it isn't like he hasn't made threats to Westbrook before. I guarantee you he has guns and probably is doing target practice on pictures of Russ with his KKK buddies.

Russ should bury Kiesel and his wife in lawsuits until they file for bankruptcy from legal fees.

I don’t know what was said but if it’s racist than yea this Keisel guy should fry
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:26 am    Post subject:

Would you feel any different if same taunt were screamed at multi-millionaire tennis player during or after the match?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject:

This Kiesel guy was apparently a cop for 17 years too.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject:

It's not "coddling millionaires", it's ensuring that they're treated like people. There's a difference between yelling "you suck" or "you cant win without KD" and hurling racial epithets.

The player isn't even given a right to defend themselves without getting fined. So if a player is obligated to act a certain way because they are "on the clock" then it is the employers duty to ensure they are not harassed.

Saying they should shut up and play is dehumanizing them; basically saying without their ability to entertain they're are somehow below us. And I don't know if that's better or worse than what happened with this guy and WB.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject:

I sat in a spurs arena one time. And the stuff they told kobe was mind boggling everything from rapist to you need Shaq to win or you pau bailed him out. Something along those lines.... point is it didn’t phase kobe one bit. He went out there kept his mouth shut and played.

Maybe my generation is not use to that kind of treatment. Therefore I think that’s why I feel we need coddling. Too sensitive, thin skinned
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: