Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 246, 247, 248  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject:

NMLaker wrote:
And getting to live in San Diego...

I thought the same but then figured that baseball never goes into the brutal winter and he doesn't have to live in Chicago then anyway. Otherwise, chicago's a great place to live, just like SD - particularly when you're a wealthy, star athlete.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
True, but can you really blame a guy for taking an extra $50 million guaranteed? One injury and it's bye-bye to the additional 40 million.

Yeah, relatively speaking, a possible $4M extra a year isn't worth giving up a guaranteed $5M every year.

I just really dislike him, he's right there with Darvish in my book.

He disappointed me, but I don't actively dislike him as much as I actively dislike Yu effin' Darvish. We had a great shot against Boston, really a great chance to win, but the 2018 Red Sox were a truly great team. The '17 Astros? (bleep) the Astros. We had that team, but Yu, Kenley, Kersh, and Roberts thought differently...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Sources told Passan that Chicago's offer to Machado could have been richer than San Diego's had the four-time All-Star reached certain incentives. The final offer from the White Sox was for eight years and $250 million, but the deal also included a pair of options that could have increased the total value to $320 million, according to Passan.

Had Machado stayed healthy throughout the deal, the likelihood is that Chicago's offer would've been worth around $340 million, sources told Passan. Machado instead opted for the guaranteed money from San Diego.

"I'm wearing my shades, so you can't see the shock in my eyes," White Sox executive vice president Kenny Williams said Tuesday after news of Machado's decision was reported. "Very surprised. There are a few other words you could put on that, but still in a little bit of disbelief. ... I honestly believe we had the best offer on the table."

so if he stays healthy, the Sox deal likely was 8 years for $340 million ($250 Million guaranteed)? I think I am taking that deal. The only thing that may be better about the 10 year $300 Million deal from the Padres is he can opt out in 5 years. If he is near the peak of his game in 5 years at 31 years old...he can opt out and probably cash in on another long term deal.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Sources told Passan that Chicago's offer to Machado could have been richer than San Diego's had the four-time All-Star reached certain incentives. The final offer from the White Sox was for eight years and $250 million, but the deal also included a pair of options that could have increased the total value to $320 million, according to Passan.

Had Machado stayed healthy throughout the deal, the likelihood is that Chicago's offer would've been worth around $340 million, sources told Passan. Machado instead opted for the guaranteed money from San Diego.

"I'm wearing my shades, so you can't see the shock in my eyes," White Sox executive vice president Kenny Williams said Tuesday after news of Machado's decision was reported. "Very surprised. There are a few other words you could put on that, but still in a little bit of disbelief. ... I honestly believe we had the best offer on the table."

so if he stays healthy, the Sox deal likely was 8 years for $340 million ($250 Million guaranteed)? I think I am taking that deal. The only thing that may be better about the 10 year $300 Million deal from the Padres is he can opt out in 5 years. If he is near the peak of his game in 5 years at 31 years old...he can opt out and probably cash in on another long term deal.

No, I think it would've been 10 years had the last two years vested. They were offering 8 guaranteed years for a little more than $30MM annually. They they were offering a 9th year that vested with 550 PA's in the 8th year, and a 10th year that would've vested with 550 PA's in the 9th year. I'm not sure if they were offering an opt-out.

You probably meant 10 years, in looking at the context of what you wrote. But yeah, if the ChiSox deal didn't have an opt-out, that's big, and $50MM in guaranteed money is a big difference, too. Just a simple injury could have knocked off one year of the ChiSox proposal.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Bleacher Report and MLB both rank the Dodgers' starters as being the second best rotations, though neither of these agree on the number one team rotation.

just FYI, saw an article on MLB.com last week that projected the Dodgers to have the best pitching staff in MLB.

https://www.mlb.com/news/dodgers-best-pitching-in-mlb/c-303844860

Quote:
When we looked back at 2018's most dominant pitches, Buehler ranked in the top five for both his four-seam fastball and his sinker.

Wow

Quote:
These pitchers had the nastiest stuff in 2018

Four-seam fastball (Starters)
.250 -- Walker Buehler, Dodgers
.251 -- Max Scherzer, Nationals
.261 -- Jacob deGrom, Mets
.262 -- Chris Sale, Red Sox
.268 -- Carlos Martinez, Cardinal

We're off to a good start, because Scherzer, deGrom, and Sale are pretty clearly three of the five or so most dominant pitchers in the game, and Sale and deGrom each made this list last year, too. Plus, there's a strong argument to be made that Buehler is better than teammate Clayton Kershaw right now, and part of that is definitely because of his four-seamer, which averages 96.2 MPH, touches 100, and carries a 30.8 percent whiff rate that was among the best in the game.

Two-seam fastball / sinkers (Starters)
.235 -- Zack Wheeler, Mets
.235 -- Anthony DeSclafani, Reds
.257 -- Buehler, Dodgers
.264 -- Brad Keller, Royals
.265 -- Aaron Nola, Phillies

Changeups (Starters)
.164 -- Kenta Maeda, Dodgers
.188 -- Joe Musgrove, Pirates
.195 -- deGrom, Mets
.196 -- Stephen Strasburg, Nationals
.200 -- Scherzer, Nationals

Another list, another grouping of some elite pitchers in deGrom, Strasburg, and Scherzer. Maeda started talking in spring about using his changeup, and a new grip apparently helped make it even more effective as the season went on. Maeda (along with Rodney and Strasburg) finished in the top five of the changeup whiff rate leaderboard, further evidence of how impressive the pitch was.

https://www.mlb.com/news/the-most-dominating-pitches-of-2018/c-302022072

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
NMLaker wrote:

I thought the same but then figured that baseball never goes into the brutal winter and he doesn't have to live in Chicago then anyway. Otherwise, chicago's a great place to live, just like SD - particularly when you're a wealthy, star athlete.

San Diego is pretty much as close as you can get to the LA market without playing as a Dodger or Angel. Since neither LA team was going to make a run after him, he chose the one with the most guaranteed money and it doesn't hurt that SD has fantastic weather.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:35 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
NMLaker wrote:

San Diego is pretty much as close as you can get to the LA market without playing as a Dodger or Angel. Since neither LA team was going to make a run after him, he chose the one with the most guaranteed money and it doesn't hurt that SD has fantastic weather.

He was going where the most guaranteed money was, make no mistake. Dude flashed freaking money fingers LOL. He preferred the East Coast, too, yet he still took more guaranteed money from the Padres. And hey, that's his absolute right and I'm not even mad at it. But Chicago is a lot closer to the East, and they did offer more annual dollars and a chance to go well over the $300MM mark. But he was always going to take the most guaranteed cash.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Dodgers' Clayton Kershaw taking step back from throwing

Quote:
Clayton Kershaw, fresh off a $93 million extension, is taking a step back from his normal throwing progression, a decision the Los Angeles Dodgers' ace summarized as a "group effort" that was meant to take advantage of how early it is in spring training.

LINK
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject:

^Not cool at all.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
^Not cool at all.

Why? Isn't he just resting his arm? FWIW, Kersh said he was going to talk to guys like Verlander, to see how they kept their velocity...maybe this was one of the recommendations?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject:

I think Kershaw should take it easy early in the season. Walker Buehler should be the opening day starter....if anything, Kershaw has too many postseason meltdowns, perhaps he is overworked by the time we get to the postseason.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:47 pm    Post subject:

I can't say that I'm not worried about Kershaw. Hopefully it's nothing, but I don't like the trends on him.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I think Kershaw should take it easy early in the season. Walker Buehler should be the opening day starter....if anything, Kershaw has too many postseason meltdowns, perhaps he is overworked by the time we get to the postseason.

nah, it is over....time for a new NL Champion.
spamurai
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Back at camp, Dodgers pitching coach Rick Honeycutt said Clayton Kershaw is on medication. He watched video of a recent throwing session. “It’s not that you see something mechanical that’s the issue,” Honeycutt said. “It’s just more what’s going on inside the joint right now.”

Sigh...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Does MLB control who is in the Cactus League and the Grapefruit League? As in do they have to approve for a team to change leagues? I notice there are 15 teams in each, and I know that the Dodgers, Reds and others have changed leagues in recent years....is it 15 & 15 by design or just chance?
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Jorge Castillo
@jorgecastillo
Dave Roberts specified that Clayton Kershaw has been dealing with discomfort in his left shoulder. He said Kershaw is feeling better and encouraged. He’s still expected to resume throwing in the next few days.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jorgecastillo/status/1099719358991880192
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject:

I really wonder if the FO is renewing any talks to trade for Kluber?

https://www.dodgersnation.com/corey-kluber-might-be-the-biggest-missed-opportunity-of-the-offseason/2019/02/23/
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:

https://www.dodgersnation.com/corey-kluber-might-be-the-biggest-missed-opportunity-of-the-offseason/2019/02/23/

Well, if it is true with what they were offering, and since they, essentially, threw away Puig and Wood, they will have to offer even more of their top prospects. As always, the devil would be in the details.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

Well, if it is true with what they were offering, and since they, essentially, threw away Puig and Wood, they will have to offer even more of their top prospects. As always, the devil would be in the details.

oh come on....I would guess both of you guys could easily answer my question about the spring training leagues......and you just skip it.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject:

^
I have never looked into this, but I would just assume that the teams in Arizona are in one league and that the teams in Florida are in the other? The Dodgers had their Spring Training complex in Vero Beach, Florida, for years, and were in the Grapefruit League. Now that they are in Arizona, of course, they are in the Cactus League. I suppose there may have been a time where there were more teams in Florida, but I'm not sure.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Yeah I think it's just the geo area, but I'm not 100% on that.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:31 am    Post subject:

Hmm...

Jesse Sanchez

Verified account

@JesseSanchezMLB
2h
2 hours ago

More
Sources: The Dodgers are back in the mix for Bryce Harper. Club officials, including manager Dave Roberts, were seen in Las Vegas on Sunday.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
I have never looked into this, but I would just assume that the teams in Arizona are in one league and that the teams in Florida are in the other? The Dodgers had their Spring Training complex in Vero Beach, Florida, for years, and were in the Grapefruit League. Now that they are in Arizona, of course, they are in the Cactus League. I suppose there may have been a time where there were more teams in Florida, but I'm not sure.

Nor have I. I thought about answering, but as I thought about it, I don't really know the specifics about what it takes to relocate a team during spring training, so I had little to offer.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

Nor have I. I thought about answering, but as I thought about it, I don't really know the specifics about what it takes to relocate a team during spring training, so I had little to offer.

my apologies....I assumed that would be common knowledge for long time baseball fans. I recall the Reds bouncing when the city would not pass bonds to renovate the stadium in Sarasota. Ironically, after the Reds announced they were exiting, the city totally renovated the stadium and the Orioles moved there. I also recall when the Dodgers left Vero Beach....they kind of turned that place (Dodgertown) into a tourist attraction that is still operating as a baseball facility.

Looking at the map, the Cactus League appears to be advantageous based on the teams being so close. In Florida, the Braves are @ Disney (SW of Orlando) which is quite a distance from the teams in the Southeast. On the flip side, I notice several teams in Arizona like the Reds and Dodgers actually share facilities with another team.....so not sure if that is ever an issue.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Hmm...

Jesse Sanchez

Verified account

@JesseSanchezMLB
2h
2 hours ago

More
Sources: The Dodgers are back in the mix for Bryce Harper. Club officials, including manager Dave Roberts, were seen in Las Vegas on Sunday.

I read where they were focused on a shorter term deal....which he has supposedly been opposed to in the past. Just wonder if it is a sign that he really has reservations about going to Philly?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 246, 247, 248  Next
Page 38 of 248
Jump to: