Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

That’s a fair response if we are talking about contending teams in the offseason deciding between him and some of the top guys. It when you realize there are a hundred odd QB’s in the league, and that number goes up as injuries occur, and guys who have been out of the league are getting signed for backup gigs, and he can’t get signed even to a bench gig, when almost any expert will put him well within the top 50?

Has he been willing to take a lot less money to be a backup? Maybe he has been. And I thought the Ravens wanted to sign him.

It wouldn’t surprise me one bit of owners colluded with him after that. I’m just not sure about that.

From what was written the Ravens were interested in signing Kap until his GF compared Ray Lewis and Steve Bisciotti to the slave and master from "Django Unchained".

It's ironic because the Ravens went all-in on the option QB after making Jackson the starter and trading Flacco. It seems like it would have been the best fit for Kap but that door might be closed now.

It wouldn't surprise me if that settlement means the end of his playing career.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject:

Kaep donated around 2% of his NFL earnings to charity. He's also donating to his charity Know Your Rights. Focus has been shifted from the cause to Colin. He, as do all, have negatives. I lean to the positives thinking they outweigh the negatives.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

That’s a fair response if we are talking about contending teams in the offseason deciding between him and some of the top guys. It when you realize there are a hundred odd QB’s in the league, and that number goes up as injuries occur, and guys who have been out of the league are getting signed for backup gigs, and he can’t get signed even to a bench gig, when almost any expert will put him well within the top 50?

Has he been willing to take a lot less money to be a backup? Maybe he has been. And I thought the Ravens wanted to sign him.

It wouldn’t surprise me one bit of owners colluded with him after that. I’m just not sure about that.

From what was written the Ravens were interested in signing Kap until his GF compared Ray Lewis and Steve Bisciotti to the slave and master from "Django Unchained".

It's ironic because the Ravens went all-in on the option QB after making Jackson the starter and trading Flacco. It seems like it would have been the best fit for Kap but that door might be closed now.

And now the Ravens have Kaepernick's old OC, Greg Roman, in Baltimore. I mean, honestly, he would be the perfect backup for Jackson.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Kaep donated around 2% of his NFL earnings to charity. He's also donating to his charity Know Your Rights. Focus has been shifted from the cause to Colin. He, as do all, have negatives. I lean to the positives thinking they outweigh the negatives.

If nothing else it will help you see life the same way

I haven't clicked this news item yet.. but the NFL admitted to conspiring against a man of color because he was a a first amendment problem?
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject:

Went to college with Kap and while I didn't know him it was crazy to see his growth from a freshman to a senior.

Every year he got so much better and everyone @ Nevada was a hugh fan. Wish he never keeled, or I wish it wasn't that big of a deal to so many (I dont personally care) so we could of seen him improve. Hell his last year his stats were good his team just wasn't. It was fun to see him make that super bowl run and it was even better when he took down Boise State... god I still hate them

Most of you probably don't know he is actually adopted by a really nice white family

Last edited by Lucky_Shot on Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Went to college with Kap and while I didn't know him it was crazy to see his growth from a freshman to a senior.

Every year he got so much better and everyone @ Nevada was a hugh fan. Wish he never keeled, or I wish it wasn't that big of a deal to so many (I dont personally care) so we could of seen him improve. Hell his last year his stats were good his team just wasn't. It was fun to see him make that super bowl run and it was even better when he took down Boise State... god I still hate them

I totally get where you're coming from wishing it wasn't him who got caught up in this..

But I am hopeful his kneeling did more good than harm. Potentially opening the eyes of some District Attorneys and Jurors which in turn can heal police departments and others this reflection may cause in them

The Power of One
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

I totally get where you're coming from wishing it wasn't him who got caught up in this..

But I am hopeful his kneeling did more good than harm. Potentially opening the eyes of some District Attorneys and Jurors which in turn can heal police departments and others this reflection may cause in them

The Power of One

Yeah I'm pretty cool with people standing up for what they believe in (or kneeling in this case) Just wish I could of saw him play out his whole careerj
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject:

I see Kaep being railed for the non disclosure agreement in the settlement with the NFL. Why aren't owners also being railed?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject:

It’s important to remember that Kaep’s suit against the NFL wasn’t his protest. It was because they blackballed him because of his actual protest. So he’s under no obligation, moral or otherwise, to disclose the terms of the deal. If, otoh, he stops being active in the movement he joined, THEN you can say he sold out.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject:

I understand SAS's reasons for wanting to know the details of the non disclosure, though I don't side with them. He's not asking about the monetary amount, he wants to know what, if anything, Colin agreed to stop doing. e.g. If he's given a contract did he agree to stand for the anthem.

splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
splashmtn wrote:

I can't say i disagree with you on the privilege part. The issue with people being upset with kap has a lot to do with people not putting their feet in the shoes of a minority person who believes the system has not only failed him and those like him but keeps doing so intentionally. If that is the case why would you participate in the voting process? You wouldn't. People keep answering this question from their view point. it's not you who are not standing for the anthem/flag etc. It's him. It's not you not voting, it's him. Why is he choosing this path? He told you a few times why. People brush over his answer because it hurts people who believe in the system to see someone not believe in the system.

It's the same issue the "black community" overall has with police(generally speaking.) vs what a lot of the majority whites at least in the recent past has not had the same issues with Trusting the police. Now more and more we are all having issues with the police in general I'll grant you that. But in the recent past, Whites were by far more likely to assume that if a police person did something, they did so out of great ethical judgement. If you would ask a random group of black people that same question you would get answers that showed they felt the police at times were being unethical in their behavior.

Blacks on average do not TRUST the justice SYSTEM. Why? Because it has failed them time and time again even when they participated within the system/society properly.

Kap is not to be seen as Kap when we have this discussion. Kap symbolizes a plight among black people. Do you guys/gals that are non black understand said plight? Can you at the very least wholeheartedly sympathize with said plight?
If the answer is yes, then you would not be bothered by Kap not standing, You would not be bothered by Kap not voting.

You said down ticket votes. Which i agree with has more of an effect on you personally then the big election with the president. TO be honest more people need to be more involved in that one perhaps more so than the presidents election. Because you feel it immediately when it's a local election or proposition on the ballot. With that said.

A few votes ago, Los angeles had a chance to vote for a new sheriff. Guess what our choices were? a Bunch of people who have already been within the sheriff system. The top Sheriff was recently brought up on charges and so were people beneath his command. Word on the street was the 2nd in command to him and others were also involved in the scandal. These people were all on the ballot. These are the kinds of choices you are given. Vote for the devil with red hair or the devil with blue hair. Why should I care if it's the devil regardless?

And even if you got lucky and found someone on that list that wasn't apart of the old sheriff's group. Then you vote for a new guy and you find out he treats people that look like you just as bad as or worse than the former sheriff treated you.

We're talking about Systemic problems people. Not one individual thats the president. Systemic issues run deep. So deep that even on the local level you have people up for votes that are also apart of said system and they wont do anything crazy or drastic to change it for the betterment of ALL people which includes black people/brown people etc.

And these replies are coming from me a black person who actually votes. You guys shouldn't be worried about Kap not voting you should be asking a person like me. Why I still even vote.

If the problems are systemic, and they run so deep that voting won't change it. Then what are you kneeling for? Who is he pleading to?

The people? The opressors? The people that have the power to enact change?

If he's going to plead to the people that have the power to enact changes, then he might as well vote...

What is the solution that this "cause" is seeking? How do people change a broken system?

riots & violence?
protests?
voting?
prayer & hope?

We can safely assume that the system isn't going to change itself...

he's appealing to whoever may listen. just maybe...there's some white people out there that do care. just maybe they are in positions of power that will do something about it. remember i dont need to vote. i pay taxes. therefore, anyone who is in office is paid by me the tax payer. kap pays more taxes than many of us do to him being very well paid. This means those in charge of different departments, cities, states, the country where Kap resides is paid for by Kap and the rest of us tax payers. he doesnt need to vote. he votes with his paycheck. THis means just because i didnt vote for you doesnt give you the green light to treat me or others that look like me like crap. sorry, it dont work that way. If people think it should work that way thats fine. Then stop taking our tax dollars for their paychecks only take the tax money out of your constituents who voted for you. So kap has a right to make request via protest to say "change these things, because they are harming me and others that look like me, we are all tax paying citizens, we deserve better." Dont need to vote at all to pull that off.

By the way, his lone vote would've done a lot less than his kneeling. You see us talking about this STILL? You see candidates talking about justice reforms? you see regular people pushing the agenda that were not doing so before. Lets be honest random white people that were not heavily involved in trying to do things for minorities on purpose were not waking up in the morning thinking about "justice reform." but now you have you are. even those on the sidelines just watching things unfold have started to help out in small ways in large ways. Its not always about the leaders. Sometimes you have to take it to the people and have them assist you in making things better for all. thats what Kap did. You are coming to these games or tuning in so we can entertain you and take you away from all the negatives of everyday life. well people that look like most of those players can't get away from it ever. And thats something the rest of you need to understand. this is why you kneel during that moment. I dont want you to feel all happy as if the world is a great place. it aint. i want you to have your heart torn while watching us run up and down this field. I want you to be so uncomfortable until you get up and do something about it.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I understand SAS's reasons for wanting to know the details of the non disclosure, though I don't side with them. He's not asking about the monetary amount, he wants to know what, if anything, Colin agreed to stop doing. e.g. If he's given a contract did he agree to stand for the anthem.
at one point he said he was going to stop kneeling when teams were in the process of maybe looking at him as a FA. that was awhile ago. so who knows. truth of the matter it aint non of our business what it says. thats that mans life. he served the people well with his time kneeling. he doesnt have to do that for life if he doesnt choose to. he made his point and from what I can see, mission accomplished. He brought real awareness to a real problem and actually help get some laws put on the books to help the cause, had some non profits created behind it, etc. last but not least, he has a few young white kids thinking about it. this means when they grow up to be leaders(assuming the system stays as it is). They will have grown up thru the Kap Kneeling era. This could make them an ally for minority issues in regards to the justice system.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Kaep is way too expensive for what he offers and the headaches that come with it.

He demanded $20M from a league that pays $250K over three years. LOL.

Headache.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Take this for whatever it is worth. This article lists some reasons to think that the settlement is not as big as some people have speculated.

Quote:
Second, per a source with knowledge of the internal procedures that resulted in the settlement, the payments by the NFL to Kaepernick and Reid did not require the approval of team owners. Instead, the NFL’s Management Council Executive Committee voted unanimously to approve the settlement, without a vote of the member clubs.

Quote:
Fourth, multiple people connected to the league have, without disclosing the number, downplayed the settlement as an amount that will cover the league’s anticipated legal expenses for the duration of the arbitration, with perhaps a bit more. (The anticipated legal expenses weren’t disclosed; chances are those amounts would have been in the seven figures, not in the eight figures.)

Fifth, another source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that speculation that the settlement amount landed in the range of $60 million to $80 million is incorrect.

https://sports.yahoo.com/kaepernick-settlement-may-not-significant-105508097.html
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Take this for whatever it is worth. This article lists some reasons to think that the settlement is not as big as some people have speculated.

Quote:
Second, per a source with knowledge of the internal procedures that resulted in the settlement, the payments by the NFL to Kaepernick and Reid did not require the approval of team owners. Instead, the NFL’s Management Council Executive Committee voted unanimously to approve the settlement, without a vote of the member clubs.

Quote:
Fourth, multiple people connected to the league have, without disclosing the number, downplayed the settlement as an amount that will cover the league’s anticipated legal expenses for the duration of the arbitration, with perhaps a bit more. (The anticipated legal expenses weren’t disclosed; chances are those amounts would have been in the seven figures, not in the eight figures.)

Fifth, another source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that speculation that the settlement amount landed in the range of $60 million to $80 million is incorrect.

https://sports.yahoo.com/kaepernick-settlement-may-not-significant-105508097.html

I would truly be shocked if it was anything close to the amounts in the media.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Of course the NFL is going to put out a spin job that the settlement was less than initially reported. Saving face.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Of course the NFL is going to put out a spin job that the settlement was less than initially reported. Saving face.

or vice versa
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
It’s important to remember that Kaep’s suit against the NFL wasn’t his protest. It was because they blackballed him because of his actual protest. So he’s under no obligation, moral or otherwise, to disclose the terms of the deal. If, otoh, he stops being active in the movement he joined, THEN you can say he sold out.
You still can't say he sold out. you know why. He did his part. he can literally jump off the train while its rolling. He got that baby moving, put some hot coal in it, and we chooo chooo'd our way to where we are now. Kaep aint needed in the movement anymore. he did what you're supposed to do. He made the people MOVE. He could go to mars right now and he's still not a sell out. he did his part and thats all that needed to be done. people who may have never thought about or said the words minorities and the criminal justice system are talking about it now. there has been actual legislation due to all of this. Sorry, there is no such thing as selling out when you more or less spear headed all of that. Even if you didnt mean to or cared to. You did something on your own the purpose of letting others know what was going on. thats it and thats all.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject:

Kaepernick and Reid got less than $10M combined. This is actually a little less than I expected.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26323226/report-kaepernick-grievance-nets-10m
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Kaepernick and Reid got less than $10M combined. This is actually a little less than I expected.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26323226/report-kaepernick-grievance-nets-10m

I wonder what it was net of legal fees and expenses?

This amount makes far more sense to me....Kap and team did not have a smoking gun, and the NFL basically paid around $250K per team to just make it go away.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject:

The WSJ article indicates that it was gross, not net of fees. I had a feeling that the number would be in the $15M range. If it had been zero or if had been enormous, I thought one side or the other would have leaked it.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:05 am    Post subject:

He got paid, hopefully the story ends now.

He was an athletic quarterback, who can't throw outside the hash line. Like a lot of running qb's, once he got hurt and teams schemed his running attempts, he was now just another qb with limited skills.

Not standing for the anthem was toxic. He would have a job if it didn't happen. Maybe he would have put it together and gotten back to the Super Bowl level, maybe not.

Too bad, he made his choice, I really don't care what he does now.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject:

h2omike wrote:

He was an athletic quarterback, who can't throw outside the hash line. Like a lot of running qb's, once he got hurt and teams schemed his running attempts, he was now just another qb with limited skills.

Not standing for the anthem was toxic. He would have a job if it didn't happen. Maybe he would have put it together and gotten back to the Super Bowl level, maybe not.

The end of the kneeling story not the reason for it. The reason was swept under the rug. The flag was a diversion for those who didn't want to discuss the issues. He used the wrong vehicle to bring attention to oppression and police brutality. He got paid but I hope that won't be the end of his involvement with the reason.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject:

h2omike wrote:

Exactly. He would have a job if he didn't stand up (no pun intended) for the victims of horrific abuse at the hands of police, and he's the toxic one. It's a common theme these days. We don't care as much about actual problems as we do with people not interrupting our blithely ignoring those problems by putting them in front of us.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Here we go... Let's see how woke he is now?

https://abc7.com/sports/cops-investigate-kaepernick-others/26151/

#metoo
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 23 of 26
Jump to: